Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 14:03   #226
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
From Kukke till Kundapur it won't be any probs as it is complete highway drive except for Mangalore Udupi stretch which was under construction. I am not sure on the current condition. Kundapur onwards is blur for me.
Finished my Bangalore - Mysore - Kukke - Udupi - Pune trip and just wanted to share the updates with the group.

The road from Mysore-Madikeri-Aranthodu-Kukke is in pretty good shape.
I took the small turnoff marked as Aranthodu / Arenthodu in most maps (after Sampaje) so that I didnt have to go as far as Sulya. The road is narrow and passes through forested area with sparse habitation so I would hesitate to take it in the dark. One also has to beware of private taxis (sumos / boleros) traveling at breakneck speeds on blind curves. But other than this, the road is good and seems to save a lot of time and kms.

The road from Subramanya to Udupi too is pretty decent. The real trouble starts after Kundapur. The stretch from Kundapur to Ankola is HORRIBLE. No other words to describe it. Avoid at all costs. Despite being in a relatively high ground clearance car (SX4), the craters were very difficult to navigate and scraped the bottom a few times.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:57   #227
BHPian

I'm planning to leave for Kukke tomorrow. How is the current road condition between Sakleshpur & Kukke?
Old 3rd November 2012, 17:38   #228
BHPian

Dear Friends,
Am planning to make the trip BLR-BISLE-KUKKE-DHARMASTHALA-BLR , next week. I am planning to take the following route :

BLR-SAKLESHPUR-KODLIPET-BISLE-KUKKE-DHARMASTALA It would be of great help, if any of you have travelled recently can help with the following queries:

1. Condition of Sakleshpur-Kodlipet-Bisle-Kukke road.
2. There is a shortcut on SH8, via Hethur(bypassing Kodlipet). Is this motorable?

Looking forward to your responses .

Regards,
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:21   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Dear Friends,
Am planning to make the trip BLR-BISLE-KUKKE-DHARMASTHALA-BLR , next week. I am planning to take the following route :

BLR-SAKLESHPUR-KODLIPET-BISLE-KUKKE-DHARMASTALA It would be of great help, if any of you have travelled recently can help with the following queries:

2. There is a shortcut on SH8, via Hethur(bypassing Kodlipet). Is this motorable?

Looking forward to your responses .

Regards,
The actual route to Bisle from Sakleshpur is via Hethur only and not via Kodlipet. Going via Kodlipet is totally out of the way. Bhpian prasad14 recently traveled this route on his bike. He can help with road conditions. But AFAIK, Bisle ghat road has always been in bad condition. Sakleshpur-Hethur road was decent sometime back, but don't know how it is now.

Btw, roads around Kodlipet aren't good either. Kodlipet to Bisle also has to go through Hethur. Btw, how did you come across the route via Kodlipet?
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:52   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The actual route to Bisle from Sakleshpur is via Hethur only and not via Kodlipet.
+1 to Addy. Kodlipet out of way. Even if you are coming from Coorg side Kushalnagar/Somwarpet/Shanivarsanthe/Bisle you dont go to Kodlipet.

Kodlipet routing is only possible if you want to get to Hassan-Sakleshpur road and one is coming from Coorg side.

If for some reason you want to avoid Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch, then may be the route should be Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Kodlipet-Hethur-Bisle.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:11   #231
BHPian

Quote:
The actual route to Bisle from Sakleshpur is via Hethur only and not via Kodlipet. Going via Kodlipet is totally out of the way. Bhpian prasad14 recently traveled this route on his bike. He can help with road conditions. But AFAIK, Bisle ghat road has always been in bad condition. Sakleshpur-Hethur road was decent sometime back, but don't know how it is now.
Sakleshpur-Hethur is doable, but is pot hole ridden all the way.

Quote:
Dear Friends,

You need to take the Bisle route only for the sake of adventure and if you have a good GC vehicle or a good bike/Bullet. Its worth it though. I've added some pics and you can decide for yourself. Do note that these pics were taken in Sep-12 in a summer like weather. If it has rained/raining it'd be even more slippery/watery and will have more fun.

Pic1: The best stretch, lasting about 0.5km at a hairpin bend.
Pic2: I'd call this stretch, pretty decent
Pic3: Nirvana. Could be risky for two wheelers if it has rained recently
Pic4: This is how about 50% of the stretch is
Pic5: There'd be more such streams if it has rained or raining
(Little challenged to embed the text b/w photos)

Enjoy the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-img_2457.jpg  

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-img_2463.jpg  

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-img_2464.jpg  

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-img_2468.jpg  

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-img_2475.jpg  

Last edited by prasad14 : 4th November 2012 at 11:13.
Old 5th November 2012, 00:01   #232
BHPian

Quote:
The actual route to Bisle from Sakleshpur is via Hethur only and not via Kodlipet.
=========
Btw, roads around Kodlipet aren't good either. Kodlipet to Bisle also has to go through Hethur. Btw, how did you come across the route via Kodlipet?
Hi Addy, thanks. Actually Kodlipet came into it only because SH8 is via Kodlipet. Even in the map, it is way out , which is the reason for asking abt the Hethur route .
Old 5th November 2012, 00:07   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Sakleshpur-Hethur is doable, but is pot hole ridden all the way.
========
Enjoy the trip.
That was fabulous Prasad, thanks ! From your photos, I can see now that "adventurous road" has a new meaning . Though I will be using a Scorpio, don't know whether I should risk the Bisle route in this rainy weather. I may finally go to Kukke thro the regular route.

Thanks again !
Old 5th November 2012, 09:59   #234
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning Kukke - Dharmasthala - Mangalore - Kundapur on 10th November. The route I plan to take is as follows.

Bangalore - Gundya - Kukke - Gundya - Dharmasthala, hope this is fine or do I need to make any changes.

I need help on Dharmastala - Mangalore route, please help out
Old 5th November 2012, 10:45   #235
BHPian

Quote:
That was fabulous Prasad, thanks ! From your photos, I can see now that "adventurous road" has a new meaning . Though I will be using a Scorpio, don't know whether I should risk the Bisle route in this rainy weather. I may finally go to Kukke thro the regular route.
!
Scorpio? Then I strongly urge you to try Bisle. The bad roads (or the no road section is for about 20kms) are easily manageable in a Scorpio. Note that there are couple of KSRTC bus still ply in this route. Its very different from the other ghats and there'd be lot of small waterfalls and all that. Pl. consider.

Prasad
Old 5th November 2012, 11:35   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Scorpio? Then I strongly urge you to try Bisle. The bad roads (or the no road section is for about 20kms) are easily manageable in a Scorpio. Note that there are couple of KSRTC bus still ply in this route. Its very different from the other ghats and there'd be lot of small waterfalls and all that. Pl. consider.

Prasad
+1. Sometimes, even the Kukke-Hassan/Bangalore KSRTC buses take this route at night in case of traffic jams on Shiradi Ghat road.

Quote:

Thanks again !
If you have an SUV and have some time to spare, take this route. It is very scenic. Unless it rains very very heavily or has heavy winds, you won't have a problem. AFAIK, the cyclonic weather has subsided and there are no rains now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Hi,

I need help on Dharmastala - Mangalore route, please help out
Kukke-Gundya-Dharmasthala is fine. For Mangalore from Dharmasthala, you need to take Dharmasthala-Ujire-Belthangady-BC Road-Mangalore route. I have no idea about road conditions on Dharmasthala-BC Road stretch, but BC Road-Mangalore is a nice 4 laned road.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 11:09   #237
BHPian

Planning a trip to Dharmasthala and Kukke in my Alto. As per the thread, art of travelling between bangalore and mangalore, Shiradi ghat is bad at a few places. Which are the alternate routes, even if it is longer, that I can take so that the roads are good throughout or bad to a very minimum extent. Also, if I decide to include Sringeri and Horanadu, how do I plan my trip (4 days) and please suggest the best (good) road - bad roads just puts me off! Thanks in adance.
Old 13th November 2012, 15:10   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
Planning a trip to Dharmasthala and Kukke in my Alto. As per the thread, art of travelling between bangalore and mangalore, Shiradi ghat is bad at a few places. Which are the alternate routes, even if it is longer, that I can take so that the roads are good throughout or bad to a very minimum extent. Also, if I decide to include Sringeri and Horanadu, how do I plan my trip (4 days) and please suggest the best (good) road - bad roads just puts me off! Thanks in adance.
To Kukke there are only two alternatives:
1. Via Bisle - forget about bad roads, but there are no roads themselves (pl. see my post #231 below). This is ruled out in Alto.
2. Via Mysore,Madikeri,Sullia - this is better, but the road for about 20kms between Sampaje-Sullia is reported to be in bad condition. Besides, you'll have to drive in a narrow winding road after Sullia.
3. Via Charmadi - but this could be longer

Given all these, if you *have* to visit Kukke, you'll have to endure Shiradi.
Adding Sringeri/Horanadu you can do this

Bangalore-Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmasthala-Kukke-Bangalore
(or the other way round).

Dharmasthala-Sringeri-Horanadu has two options:
1. Via Dharmasthala-Belthangadi-Bajagoli-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Horanadu
2. Via Dharmasthala-Belthangadi-Bajagoli-Kudremukha-Kalasa-Horanadu-Balehonnour-Sringeri (or come back to SK Border from Horanadu and proceed towards Sringeri).

Once you decide on the actual places and the order, we can close-in on the exact route.

Prasad
Old 14th November 2012, 01:17   #239
BHPian

Had been there during the holidays, route taken was Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Shakelspura - Gundya - Kukke, about 15 -20 Kms in the Ghat section is bad, but not of much worry, rest of the roads are in good condition, just need to take of deviations between Chennarayapatna and Hassan which are well marked.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:57   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada
4 days trip can be like this:

Day 1: Blr to Sringeri and stay - If you leave early mrng, can visit sirimane falls, surrounding places, have darshana and oota.

Day 2: Sringeri to Horanadu and stay - early Morning darshana at Sringeri, Reach horanadu for noon. Lunch and stay. I would suggest it is pleasant to look around Horanadu and make a stay.

Day 3: Horanadu to Dharmastala and then Kukke: Start early morning . Reach by noon, darshana and lunch. Proceed towards Kukke and stay. Darshana and dinner.

Day 4: Kukke to Bangalore: Early morning Darshana, breakfast and departure.

Routes:

1. Blr to Sringeri: Via Hassan, Chikmagalore. Roads are neat.
2. Sringeri to Horanadu: Via SK border, Kuduremukha, Kalasa. Roads are better in this route.
3. Horanadu to Dharmastala: Via kottigehara, charmadi, Belthagandy. Roads are good except for final bad patch in charmadi ghat. But excellent drive with scenary.
4. Dharmastala to Kukke: via Gundya. Excellent road.
5. Kukke to Blr: via gundya, sakaleshpur, hassan. Ghat roads are in motorable condition. Keep 90 mins to reach sakleshpur from kukke and drive with patience. There on it would be breeze.

Have a nice an safe journey and trip. Enjoy! Do update once you are back.
SharathScorp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks