Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 08:31   #5641
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Need quick info on the Adimali Munnar road. Has this beenredone after the recent land slide? Any. BHPian been on the road of late?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Adimali - munnar is fine. The last 10 kms before entering Munnar is bad.
I travelled to Munnar last weekend.
As naveen.raju mentioned, the last ten kms to Munnar is bad. The roads are broken through and through.
There are a couple of broken stretches after Neriamangalam and also a couple immediately after Adimali.
The remaining route all the way from Kochi- Munnar is in good shape.
You can enjoy the drive.

The landslide area is the route from adimali through vellathooval to pallivasal. It is best avoided for now, though scenic

Have fun.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:46   #5642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi Ranjit - When you go from wadakanchery to angamali, is the above mentioned route completely avoids the thrissur town? If so, could you please give some landmarks to help identify the diversions on the way
This is the map: http://goo.gl/maps/Cau8x
Old 10th September 2013, 10:54   #5643
BHPian

Took the Thrissur-Palakkad NH47 on my way back to Bangalore yesterday, due to sheer curiosity , boosted by the fact that the killer private buses were off the road. There is a stretch of about 5 kms just before Kuthiran which gives you an absolute off roading experience. Except for that road condition vary from Very good to manageable. It is heartening to see road widening work progressing pretty fast as well.
JoeMichael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 11:02   #5644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Took the Thrissur-Palakkad NH47 on my way back to Bangalore yesterday, due to sheer curiosity , boosted by the fact that the killer private buses were off the road. There is a stretch of about 5 kms just before Kuthiran which gives you an absolute off roading experience. Except for that road condition vary from Very good to manageable. It is heartening to see road widening work progressing pretty fast as well.
Did you see any repair work between Mannuthy and Kuthiran?
Old 10th September 2013, 11:25   #5645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Did you see any repair work between Mannuthy and Kuthiran?
There was some patching up going on. Looked more like the temporary "fill the holes" act. Nothing two good rains can't wash away.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 14:37   #5646
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the latest on the road condition from Ernakulam to Trivandrum?
The last I knew, it was bad after Alleppey till Kayankulam.

Is it better to take MC road after Alleppey till TVM?
Old 10th September 2013, 17:38   #5647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

Need help for a friend who is driving Bangalore to Kottarakkara next week.
1) Bangalore - Dindigul - Kumily - Mundakkayam - Erumely - Kottarakkara

2) Bangalore - Madurai - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Kottarakkara
Update from my friend on second route after his travel. All good roads except Tenkasi - Punalur which has some bad stretches in between. He recollects some 10-12KMs was bad in this route. Also cautioned of a crater near the "S" Valavu where a bus fell and had to be pulled out using crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagsNair View Post
I still don't have a clear picture on the best route to take from Bangalore - Kottayam.

I'm looking to start from Bangalore on the 14th, around 6 AM and reach Kottayam at the earliest possible.
You already got the answer from NPV, Ampere and all. Kumily route it is. I am taking this route to Bangalore on 14th and might cross you in Salem around 9AM .

Since you are driving during day, budget an hour extra for negotiating traffic here and there. I drive a Xylo which goes below 100kmph most of the time and below is my experience. Fast cars takes atleast 1 hours less than this!
  • Toll Roads till Dindigul from Bangalore(approx 360KMs), 4 lane. 5 hours should suffice in non-rush hours.
  • Dindigul to Lowercamp (approx 130KMs), 2lane with some widening work in between. Rough stretches in between, nothing bad. 2 hours normally.
  • Lowercamp to Kumily (9KMs approx), ghat road in good condition till Kerala border. 15-20mins normally.
  • Kumily to Peermade (32KMs approx). Bad and rough stretches in Kumily town, before and after vandiperiyar, around pambanar etc. Drivable but slow. Budget 40mins.
  • Peermade to Kottayam (75Kms approx). Good roads, may be few potholes here and there which has already been temporary filled. Budget 2 hours maximum.

Last edited by jacs : 10th September 2013 at 17:41.
jacs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 10:17   #5648
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am planning a Bangalore - Kothamangalam trip this weekend. Saturday being the "Onam shopping day", I have decided to avoid NH47 and MC road as I am sure I will get struck in Angamali and Kalady if I travel during daytime.

So I am considering Bangalore - Dindigul - Theni - Body - Pooppara - Rajakkad - Adimaly - Kothamangalam route.

BHPans please help me with the current condition of the Pooppara - Adimaly stretch via Rajakkad. If it is bad, then I will go via Munnar.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:25   #5649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
I am planning a Bangalore - Kothamangalam trip this weekend. Saturday being the "Onam shopping day", I have decided to avoid NH47 and MC road as I am sure I will get struck in Angamali and Kalady if I travel during daytime.

So I am considering Bangalore - Dindigul - Theni - Body - Pooppara - Rajakkad - Adimaly - Kothamangalam route.

BHPans please help me with the current condition of the Pooppara - Adimaly stretch via Rajakkad. If it is bad, then I will go via Munnar.
Both of your rides can handle this route with ease .

My friend did Ernakulam - Pooppara last weekend and only really bad stretch was near Munnar town as highlighted by Naveen already. Rest all were easily manageable on a Maruti Dezire with full load.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:35   #5650
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Both of your rides can handle this route with ease .

My friend did Ernakulam - Pooppara last weekend and only really bad stretch was near Munnar town as highlighted by Naveen already. Rest all were easily manageable on a Maruti Dezire with full load.
Hi jacs,

Thanks Dude,

Yes I read Naveen's post. The route via Munnar is little longish and I generally take the Rajakkad route.
Got little concerned by a mention of landslides near Vellathooval in the above posts. Hence wanted to confirm before taking the plunge. So to be precise, I am looking for info near Kallarkutty and Vellathooval.
Old 11th September 2013, 11:14   #5651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
I generally take the Rajakkad route.
Got little concerned by a mention of landslides near Vellathooval in the above posts. Hence wanted to confirm before taking the plunge. So to be precise, I am looking for info near Kallarkutty and Vellathooval.
Oh! No latest updates on Rajakkad route. I took this route couple of months back that is pre-monsoon so not so sure if the road is still the same condition. Though narrow, roads were good except the few KMs before hitting the highway while driving towards Adimali. Shall check if anybody travelled recently after Monsoons.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:01   #5652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Whats the latest on the road condition from Ernakulam to Trivandrum?
The last I knew, it was bad after Alleppey till Kayankulam.

Is it better to take MC road after Alleppey till TVM?
@Dhanush: Just back from Trivandrum.

Took the NH 47 in my onward and return journeys.
The roads are reasonably good now. Expect patchy roads between Alleppey and Ambalapuzha, but nothing that would warrant a detour to the MC road.

Left Trivandrum at 5:15 AM and reached Aroor by 9 AM, with two tea breaks in between.
Mistakenguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 13:58   #5653

I need to travel back from Alleppey to Bangalore mid October.

Please confirm if following is the suggested route:
Alleppey-Kochi-Edappally-Chalakudi-Thrissur-Wadakancheri-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore

This appears to be a detour compared to google maps suggested route. But I gather this as one of the suggested routes from the previous postings in this forum.

Also please suggest me a good place for a night stay with family. I will be starting around noon (between 12 and 1 PM) in Alleppey. I do not like to travel long distance at a stretch and do not prefer to drive in night (strict no after 8PM).

PS: I will be driving NHC 2005 car; travelling with family and kids.
Bangalore to Alleppey will be through Thekkady and Kumarakom (will be staying both these places)
Old 11th September 2013, 15:09   #5654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsatish View Post
I need to travel back from Alleppey to Bangalore mid October.

Please confirm if following is the suggested route:
Alleppey-Kochi-Edappally-Chalakudi-Thrissur-Wadakancheri-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore

This appears to be a detour compared to google maps suggested route. But I gather this as one of the suggested routes from the previous postings in this forum.

Also please suggest me a good place for a night stay with family. I will be starting around noon (between 12 and 1 PM) in Alleppey. I do not like to travel long distance at a stretch and do not prefer to drive in night (strict no after 8PM).

PS: I will be driving NHC 2005 car; travelling with family and kids.
Bangalore to Alleppey will be through Thekkady and Kumarakom (will be staying both these places)
Yes your proposed route is the best route at the moment.

You can stay at http://www.travellersinn.net/travellers/gallery.html at the Vaikundam Toll Gate on NH47 after Sankari.

http://goo.gl/maps/23a75
Old 11th September 2013, 15:18   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Its good to know that the Thrissur - Palakkad NH47 is being repaired. Did you do the drive in a sedan/hatchback or an SUV? Also, by manageable, do you mean the roads are patched or that there are pot holes which need to be drive around? The Palakkad - Walayar stretch has been patched and is drivable now. Its the Walayar - Coimbatore (L&T Start) thats still a problem. Asking all these cause I will be doing Bangalore - Alleppey over the weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks