Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 10:28   #13711
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The no-nonsense route is NH 66 till Kuttipuram,
2. The Chelari-Chettipadi road, I saw was blockaded at the Chettipadi end last time I went through here (last month). Probably still so.
Do we need to take Chelari- Chettipadi rather Kadalundi, Vallikunnu , Parappanangadi is the costal route rite ? Recently the width of the road had been increased along Tirur - Chamravattom. No idea after Chamravattom.
Old 28th November 2021, 11:37   #13712
BHPian

Quote:
Having said that, most local drivers prefer the shorter detour Puthanathani-Thirunavaya-Kuttipuram to avoid Valancheri.
Tried this alternate route recently and didn't find it useful. Very narrow roads and many small towns in between. I think it is better to stick to Valanchery route.

Quote:
This is the Feroke-Kadalundi-Tirur-Chamravattom route? It might not be advisable because:
Agree. When coming from Mangalore, no point going in via Kozhikode town. Stick to bypass, Kottakkal route. Also, the Tirur-Chamravattom route is too narrow and has high traffic with lots of towns in between.

But, in this route, will Thrissur city slow you down considerably?

Quote:
4. The coastal NH 66 from Ponnani onwards is narrow, town-infested and terribly slow.
Kuttippuram to Chavakkad is good road, usually not a lot of traffic. Ckavakkad till Chettuva is narrow ~6KM.
Beyond Kodungallur bypass, all the way till Edappally is very narrow and lots of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjt96 View Post
Hey everyone!

What would be the best route to go from Mangalore to Kochi? Also any recommended stops along route?

Thank you!
Best route would be #1 binand suggested. To stick to this route, don't go by Kochi/Eranakulam sign boards. At Chelari (after Calicut university, Thenhipalam), and at major by routes thereafter, the Kochi/Ernakulam sign boards directs you to Chamravattom route. So stick to Thrissur sign boards. At Chelari, take the left arm at the Y intersection.

Kannur - Kozhikode is usually a very tiring drive, lot of traffic and very difficult to overtake.

In general, driving through Kerala roads is very tiresome. Expect a lot of traffic. So time your drive to avoid peak time and peak day traffic.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 12:33   #13713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
But, in this route, will Thrissur city slow you down considerably?
Not if you follow BHPian ranjitp1's excellent directions. As a frequent Calicut-Kochi traveller I have collected those in this Google doc for everyone's benefit:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...C73CMcQWFXEd0/

(Check the Coming from Shoranur section. Coming from Kunnamkulam you join at the "circle with NexT Showroom to your right" and need to go straight at the circle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Do we need to take Chelari- Chettipadi rather Kadalundi, Vallikunnu , Parappanangadi is the costal route rite ? Recently the width of the road had been increased along Tirur - Chamravattom. No idea after Chamravattom.
Chelari-Chettipadi is the most popular connection from NH 66 to the coastal road (Kadalundi-Tirur road). Chettipadi is a minor village just outside Parappanangadi.

Also not sure where the width of the road has been increased - Tirur-Chamravattom is still like a small village road more or less? I last went this way last month.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 12:41   #13714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. To get to this at Feroke you have to skip/abort Calicut bypass or backtrack a bit.

2. The Chelari-Chettipadi road, I saw was blockaded at the Chettipadi end last time I went through here (last month). Probably still so.

3. All subsequent connections to this road are unnecessarily circuitous and will not save any substantial time.

4. The coastal NH 66 from Ponnani onwards is narrow, town-infested and terribly slow.
Couple of weeks back, in one of my Calicut-Tirur trips, I took a new connect from the NH as I had to pick someone. This is basically a right turn at Idimuzhikal just after the bypass end. This road goes and meets the University-Aanangadi road then then Aanangadi, Valikkunnu, Chettipadi, Parappanangadi. Its a small road, but well laid and minimal traffic. Does not make a difference time wise, but an option if you want to use the Calicut Byepass and still want to get to the Parappanangadi road without using the NH till University or Chelari or turning back towards Feroke. There is a railway gate though.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 13:55   #13715
BHPian

Quote:
Not if you follow BHPian ranjitp1's excellent directions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...C73CMcQWFXEd0/
Also not sure where the width of the road has been increased - Tirur-Chamravattom is still like a small village road more or less? I last went this way last month.
Thanks for the direction to avoid Trichur town. My home town is Tirur and my house is adjacent to Tirur - Chamravattom road and couple of months back road got widened. May be still not in the league of NH

Tirur - Feroke route was my college going route during 2000’s and knew Chettipadi very well.
Will explore this route in January as Iam planning to drive down to Tirur from Delhi
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:44   #13716

Quote:
Originally Posted by can View Post
Any new update on RT PCR checking at Walayar or Attibele while traveling from Kerala to Bangalore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Did not see any sort of checking on Attibele border while entering Karnataka last week. But I have also heard reports that KL vehicles are randomly stopped and checked for RTPCR negative report.
At Walayar, no checking for epass or RTPCR now towards TN direction.
Travelled from Kerala to Bangalore on 27th. No checking at Walayar or Bangalore. The diversion at Walayar is no more forced and you can proceed on the highway. The temporary shed is still there and when I passed through, there was 1 policeman inside.

Off topic - The road work on LT bypass in Coimbatore is far from over if they are planning for the entire 2 lane road. It slowed me down by 10-15 mins, but I crossed at around 7:45AM. During peak hours this is likely to slow you down. Plan accordingly.

The first tunnel which was opened at Kuthiran is now being opened up for 2- way traffic with a temporary divider in between. Looks like this is lay roads for the other tunnel. I didn't face any issues, though private bus operators can jam this up easily. Don't see any police around the tunnel, so they might continue their way driving like how it used to be through the old road.
george.joe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 14:40   #13717

I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Palakkad on either 01-DEC or 02-DEC. While trying to register here https://eregister.tnega.org to get a TN epass,
I am NOT able to choose 1st or 2nd Dec. Other than today (30th Nov) all future dates are grayed out. Is it that we don't need pass to travel through TN?
Can someone throw some light on this?
Old 30th November 2021, 16:57   #13718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorspf1212 View Post
I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Palakkad on either 01-DEC or 02-DEC. While trying to register here https://eregister.tnega.org to get a TN epass,
I am NOT able to choose 1st or 2nd Dec. Other than today (30th Nov) all future dates are grayed out. Is it that we don't need pass to travel through TN?
Can someone throw some light on this?
I don't think the date matters. Get the pass with today's date and proceed.

Not sure if this happens at the month ends, but I faced the same on Oct 31st for my planned trip on Nov 1st morning. I applied the pass with date as Oct 31st, and next morning till 7 AM, the date for 1st was not listed.
That trip was to Parambikulam and we went through Chemmanampathy check post (scarcely travelled route). On that day, we were duly stopped, checked for epass and vaccination certificates.
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:53   #13719
BHPian

Planning a drive to Palakkad on Friday 3rd Dec, was wondering if a different route like Sathyamangalam is adviseable just for a scenic change, any pointers would help.
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:03   #13720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Planning a drive to Palakkad on Friday 3rd Dec, was wondering if a different route like Sathyamangalam is adviseable just for a scenic change, any pointers would help.
Its a scenic route with no tolls. But you need some luck not to get stuck in traffic on the Dhimbham ghats. In my opinion, take this route only if you don't have any time commitment. Also, there is very few options for pitstops, especially between Kanakapura and Sathyamangalam.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:42   #13721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
The other option is Dharmapuri-Mettur-Sathyamangalm-Cbe. You get some rural roads with nice paddy, sunflower and other fields . I dont know the condition of the roads now, but it was something I used to do 7-8 years back. Sathy town will be crowded.

If you want to bypass Cbe city, take Annur-Karumathampatty-LT bypass.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:19   #13722
BHPian

Need some expert advise on the best route to follow for Bangalore to Wayanad road trip around last week of December.

Also want to know if RTPCR tests are mandatory for entry into Karnataka(Bangalore).
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:30   #13723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinbindra View Post
Need some expert advise on the best route to follow for Bangalore to Wayanad road trip around last week of December.
As you may already know, Wayanad is a relatively large district and not a specific town. For best advice, kindly mention the town/area you are planning to visit/stay in Wayanad or the itinerary. Route conditions can be suggested based on this.

Quote:
Also want to know if RTPCR tests are mandatory for entry into Karnataka(Bangalore).
It is mandatory and checking has been intensified since last week.
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:36   #13724
BHPian

Quote:
For best advice, kindly mention the town/area you are planning to visit/stay in Wayanad or the itinerary. Route conditions can be suggested based on this.
Was planning to travel to Kalpetta in Wayanad.
Please suggest the best possible route.
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:56   #13725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was planning to travel to Kalpetta in Wayanad.
Please suggest the best possible route.
Straight forward route. Bangalore - Mysore - Gundelpet - Muthanga check post - Kalpetta.

Do note that you will be asked for RTPCR on your return entry into KA if you are returning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks