Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2015, 15:34   #211
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

I need to attend a wedding in Sagar this Friday (03/April). Will be leaving south Bangalore at around 6AM.

The route options are either

a) BLR -> NH48 -> CR patna -> Arsikere (NH206) -> Shimoga -> Sagar

or

b) BLR -> NH4 -> Tumkur -> NH206 all the way to Sagar.

Will be traveling with family in XUV5OO so I would prefer good / safe roads with eating options.

Would really help if someone lets me know based on latest road conditions the preferred route.

Thanks.
Old 1st April 2015, 16:37   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I need to attend a wedding in Sagar this Friday (03/April). Will be leaving south Bangalore at around 6AM.

The route options are either

a) BLR -> NH48 -> CR patna -> Arsikere (NH206) -> Shimoga -> Sagar

or

b) BLR -> NH4 -> Tumkur -> NH206 all the way to Sagar.

Will be traveling with family in XUV5OO so I would prefer good / safe roads with eating options.

Would really help if someone lets me know based on latest road conditions the preferred route.

Thanks.
I would suggest you to consider the first option. All the way till Arsikere you will have a breeze drive with less traffic and beautiful roads. The roads till shimoga are excellent, but watch out for rough patches closer to Tarikeri due to repairs of short bridges constructed across the roads for water to pass.

I am not exactly sure on the roads from shimoga to sagar, but I had done flat 5 hours in my Santro from Bangalore(Nagarbhavi) to Shimoga.

Have a safe journey
Old 1st April 2015, 17:47   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I would suggest you to consider the first option. All the way till Arsikere you will have a breeze drive with less traffic and beautiful roads. The roads till shimoga are excellent, but watch out for rough patches closer to Tarikeri due to repairs of short bridges constructed across the roads for water to pass.

I am not exactly sure on the roads from shimoga to sagar, but I had done flat 5 hours in my Santro from Bangalore(Nagarbhavi) to Shimoga.

Have a safe journey
Thanks. Shimoga to Sagar is same irrespective of the selected route so no options there. I will update once I am back.

I was planning to use the route for the return trip on Friday afternoon.

Any good places to stop for food on the way?
Old 1st April 2015, 18:00   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Thanks. Shimoga to Sagar is same irrespective of the selected route so no options there. I will update once I am back.

I was planning to use the route for the return trip on Friday afternoon.

Any good places to stop for food on the way?
Couple of options for you based on the time you reach the respective places,

1. Hotel Swathi - Few kms before Yediyur
2. Hotel Mayura - Just after Bellur Cross
3. Preethi Canteen - few meters after Birur circle (You get yummy dosa's here and you will love it)

Also if you interested in Dosa's, there is a dosa camp few kms ahead of the first toll once you cross Nelamangala ( Not an option for lunch or Dinner). It is an open restaurant with tables below trees, which gives you a nice feeling with decent quality of food
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 23:25   #215
BHPian

AFAIK both are good, option A might be faster as you have 4 lanes till CRPatna vs option B where the 4 lanes end at Tumour.
Old 6th April 2015, 12:50   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Couple of options for you based on the time you reach the respective places,

1. Hotel Swathi - Few kms before Yediyur
2. Hotel Mayura - Just after Bellur Cross
3. Preethi Canteen - few meters after Birur circle (You get yummy dosa's here and you will love it)

Also if you interested in Dosa's, there is a dosa camp few kms ahead of the first toll once you cross Nelamangala ( Not an option for lunch or Dinner). It is an open restaurant with tables below trees, which gives you a nice feeling with decent quality of food

Quick update. Took the CR Patna -> Arsikere -> Shimoga -> Sagar route both ways. Stopped at Hotel Mayura for breakfast. The food was good and the rest rooms were also decent.

This route is preferred over the Tumkur route due to 4 lane highways till CR patna and the amazing 2 lane - no traffic - road till Arsikere.

Took 6.5 hours to goto Sagar due to the breakfast and another small break. The return took only 5.5 hours to reach home due to only a short 10 min break.
ash_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 15:29   #217
BHPian

Update as of May 31 2015

Did

Bangalore - (AH 47 / NH 4) - Chitradurga - (NH 13) - Channagiri - Shimoga

and

Shimoga - Bhadra (bypass) - Tarikere - Kadur - Arsikere - Tiptur - Tumkur - Bangalore. NH 206 Shimoga to Tumkur. AH 47 / NH 4 Tumkur to Bangalore

NH 4 being an AH and GQ smooth all the way to Chitradurga.

NH 13 is under construction (road in some places, culverts in others) between Chitradurga and Channagiri. Patchy at best and muddy off road track at the worst, with hooligan local village bus drivers trying to force you off the road. Between Channagiri and Shimoga the road which was fairly smooth back in January 2015 is now patchy. You can maintain 60+ but it will be like riding/driving on rumble strips.

NH 206 is smooooooth all the way from Shimoga to Tumkur. No issues except for traffic, KSRTC, truck, cars and villages. End of the school holiday season, so traffic I think might have been slightly higher than usual.
Old 31st July 2015, 13:59   #218
BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Shimoga - Jog recently (25/7/2015). Routes:

Bangalore - Shimoga: Bangalore - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Shimoga (Time: about 6 hours, with a 20 minutes break)
Roads are good throughout with patchy stretches along cities and towns on the way. Saw CCD enroute.

Shimoga - Bangalore: Shimoga - Chitradurga - Bangalore (Time: about 6 hours 30 minutes with a 20 minutes break)
(Roads are broken till Chitradurga and narrow upto some extent. I would prefer the NH48 route and Arsikere over this one even though Chitradurga to Bangalore is a breeze.

Shimoga - Jog: Roads are quite good with the occasional potholes. Did Shimoga to Jog in 100 minutes flat.

Alert: Be careful as there are loads of 16-hump-rumblers on the way and not marked properly.
Went in a Jazz.
acquillew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 19:13   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Did a Bangalore - Shimoga - Jog recently (25/7/2015). Routes:
Any rain? Where did you stay in Shimoga/jog falls? Jog worth a visit now?

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2015 at 20:16. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 1st August 2015, 20:08   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Any rain? Where did you stay in Shimoga/jog falls? Jog worth a visit now?
Hi

Yes, it rained quite a bit during the two days I was there. I stayed at Royal Orchid, Shimoga. Got a good deal through Goibibo. I have stayed there earlier and the place is decent.
Jog is definitely worth a visit, but do not expect the kinda images that you see on Google. I have been to Job thrice and it has never changed. Steady stream but not heavy.
Old 14th August 2015, 12:05   #221
BHPian

Heading to Bhadravati via the CR Patna route over the weekend. Are there any good pit stop options between "Hirisave" & "CR Patna bypass towards Arsikere" with clean rest rooms?

Would like to take a break after about 2-2.5 hrs of journey time.

Arsikere CCD is an option but it will take further 30-40 mins from Hirisave.

Last edited by naut : 14th August 2015 at 12:05. Reason: edits
Old 14th August 2015, 12:42   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Arsikere CCD is an option but it will take further 30-40 mins from Hirisave.
There is Mayura which is few KM's before Hirisave. Location

Other options which I had tried are Athiti and Kamat (Not recommended), however both are past CR Patna bye-pass.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 13:02   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There is Mayura which is few KM's before Hirisave. Location

Other options which I had tried are Athiti and Kamat (Not recommended), however both are past CR Patna bye-pass.
Thanks Suhas!

I was considering Kamat upachar, about 6 kms from the CRpatna - Arsikere bypass. Should not take more than 10-15 mins of travel time for the detour (to & fro). Curious to know, why you don't recommend the place?
Old 14th August 2015, 14:12   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Curious to know, why you don't recommend the place?
Yes, the detour will not be taking much time. However, food and service wise I would not suggest that Kamat. It is one of the most shabbily managed Kamat I been to.
Would suggest either Athiti opposite to Kamat or Mayura I had mentioned earlier.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 14:20   #225
Team-BHP Support

Why not stick to the time and tested Swathi, Adigas or Mayura in and around Belur Cross? They are far better than the rest.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks