Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 10:12   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Right. There are two options for folks needing hotel before Chamrajanagara:

1. Nagamangala-Maddur-Mallavalli-Kollegala-Chamarajanagar
(standard hotels around Maddur on Mys-Blr highway)

2. Instead of Srirangapatna, proceed towards Mysore. Couple of options
and dhabas before Columbia Asia junction. Take left at Columbia asia
junction and join Mysore-T.Narasipura Road which is very good.
(once the ring road is complete, it'd be even better). This way you won't
get into too much of Mysore.
Option (2) would probably better in terms of quality of roads. The Maddur-Malavalli road is known to be in bad shape.

Also, as mentioned by Prasad you don't really get into Mysore city if you take a left at Columbia Asia junction and get on to T.Narsipur road. (Right turn at the T junction where the Ring road ends and a left turn at the next signal to get on to the T.Narsipur road). So no reason to be worried about getting into too much of city traffic (except the traffic on the Srirangapatna-Mysore stretch which of course is quite dense).
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 08:45   #197
BHPian

What is the condition of the water flow barachukki?
Is it allowed to go down to the falls now?
Old 21st October 2014, 09:02   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
What is the condition of the water flow barachukki?
Is it allowed to go down to the falls now?
I had traveled through NH 209 during first week of Oct. Water level below the bridge just upstream of the falls is almost half of what was present during monsoons. However it was raining around there then and even last Sunday. Hence you will surely find average water flow in falls.

They stop the entry to foot of the falls only when the flow is dangerously high, I don't think that will be the case now.
Old 13th December 2014, 13:56   #199
Senior - BHPian

Somebody told me that NH209 is blocked after Malavalli and diversion need to be taken. Is it so?
Old 13th December 2014, 16:24   #200
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Somebody told me that NH209 is blocked after Malavalli and diversion need to be taken. Is it so?
Yes, it is closed.
Please refer this post by @kala for alternative route - Here.
Lots of discussion on the bridge closure in that thread.

There is also a ferry option now, remember reading about that
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 10:10   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, it is closed.
Please refer this post by @kala for alternative route - Here.
Lots of discussion on the bridge closure in that thread.

There is also a ferry option now, remember reading about that
Thanks for the information. I had to take detour and worst affected are the people visiting the falls. What would be 2 hour journey from Bangalore has turned into a 3 & 1/2 hour trying travel. Though the detour adds 50 Km more, village roads, road construction takes more than an hour.
The effect is seen on the people visiting falls. Earlier on a Sunday afternoon, there would hardly any place to park. Now the whole stretch looks like 'off season'.

I heard there are coracles, which offer rides but they are risky and might cancel if conditions are not favorable.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:14   #202
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The effect is seen on the people visiting falls. Earlier on a Sunday afternoon, there would hardly any place to park. Now the whole stretch looks like 'off season'.
When going from Bangalore, to visit the falls one can turn off about 2km after the left turn at the Malavalli T junction. Going through the power station and their quarters one can visit the falls. This turn off is even before the bridge starts.
Similarly when coming in the opposite direction from Kollegal side one can turn off towards Barachukki before the bridge starts on that side (which is now closed).
So wondering how the bridge closure affects the visit to falls.

Last edited by NPV : 16th December 2014 at 16:15.
Old 20th December 2014, 22:44   #203
BHPian

Guys, We are planning for a day trip to Gaganchukki and barachukki falls in mid January. I will be making this trip with my family and would like to include the MadhyaRanga Temple as well.

Need your suggestions in deciding the best route from North Bangalore and for any eating options.
Old 21st December 2014, 06:35   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Need your suggestions in deciding the best route from North Bangalore and for any eating options.
The bridge over river Kaveri on Nh209 near the falls is closed completely. This means for going for travelling between both falls you need to take a long detour.

You can find the discussion regarding the same here.

There are few members planning a trip via this detour on 24th morning. You may get a better route update after that.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 09:10   #205
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
This means for going for travelling between both falls you need to take a long detour.
Suhas, this is not true. Yes, the bridge is closed but no detour required when going from Bangalore. See my earlier post here where I described this (I visited on my way back though and at that time the bridge was open, but it does not matter when taking the route via the hydro electric plant).
Link to earlier post.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 10:23   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suhas, this is not true. Yes, the bridge is closed but no detour required when going from Bangalore.
NPV, I guess what you have mentioned is about visiting Gaganchukki falls. Since the falls falls on Mallavalli side of the road you need not take the bridge to visit the same.
However if visiting Barachukki, you need to cross the bridge and visit the other bank. I have seen in the post of yours that you have gone to that side to see Gaganchukki from other banks. The view point of the same is near the temple and durgah you mentioned. Couple of KM's further down that road is Barachukki.

I guess based on current circumstances one will have to select just one fall unless they willing for the long detour.

This is the route I am mentioning.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 16:00   #207
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
NPV, I guess what you have mentioned is about visiting Gaganchukki falls. Since the falls falls on Mallavalli side of the road you need not take the bridge to visit the same.
However if visiting Barachukki, you need to cross the bridge and visit the other bank. I have seen in the post of yours that you have gone to that side to see Gaganchukki from other banks. The view point of the same is near the temple and durgah you mentioned. Couple of KM's further down that road is Barachukki.

I guess based on current circumstances one will have to select just one fall unless they willing for the long detour.
Oh that's a good point!
After visiting gaganachukki falls soon after we came out there was a signboard for barachukki to go straight but we made a right on a small bridge and got back into the hydel plant's staff quarters etc and reached the highway in the reverse direction on same road. Wondering how that other road leads to barachukki - does it join back to the highway just after the road that we took but still ahead of the bridge ? In that case its not useful.
Old 21st December 2014, 16:18   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- does it join back to the highway just after the road that we took but still ahead of the bridge ? In that case its not useful.
I guess the small bridge is the one, after crossing which you see a church and solar panels. Though I have not taken the route inside hydel plant, it can be seen at a distance from Gaganchukki viewing area. I was not sure if that route is open for public, hence did not take it.

For Barachukki however, you need to come back to NH 209 and cross the now closed bridge over Kaveri. As soon as you cross the bridge you come across an IOC bunk on your left and a small junction / turn in the road. You need to take left here and proceed on other bank of river for few KMs.

From Google maps you can notice that Barachukki and Gaganchukki are on two arms of river. These arms are seperated by small land over which the road is made. Hence we are unable to view both the falls from one point.
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:51   #209
BHPian

Quote:
The bridge over river Kaveri on Nh209 near the falls is closed completely. This means for going for travelling between both falls you need to take a long detour. [/url].

There are few members planning a trip via this detour on 24th morning. You may get a better route update after that.
Quote:
Suhas, this is not true. Yes, the bridge is closed but no detour required when going from Bangalore.
Thanks for your response guys. I guess I'll wait till the end of this year to get a better update on the routes.

Quote:
For Barachukki however, you need to come back to NH 209 and cross the now closed bridge over Kaveri. As soon as you cross the bridge you come across an IOC bunk on your left and a small junction / turn in the road. You need to take left here and proceed on other bank of river for few KMs.

From Google maps you can notice that Barachukki and Gaganchukki are on two arms of river. These arms are seperated by small land over which the road is made. Hence we are unable to view both the falls from one point.
So, is the longer detour you mentioned earlier the route to bypass the closed bridge? Any idea on the length of the detour?

Is it possible to reach Barachukki through the staff quarters as NPV had suggested? How far is the Madhyaranga temple from the falls?
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:13   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Thanks for your response guys. I guess I'll wait till the end of this year to get a better update on the routes.

So, is the longer detour you mentioned earlier the route to bypass the closed bridge? Any idea on the length of the detour?

Is it possible to reach Barachukki through the staff quarters as NPV had suggested? How far is the Madhyaranga temple from the falls?
From details mentioned in other thread this is the detour. Few KM's in the same is via bad roads. Map

As per map it is a 75 KM detour to bye-pass the closed bridge.

If you can delay the trip it would be better, since by then you will get a better idea of the detour options. Also no one is sure when the bridge will be open.

I am yet to visit Madhyaranga temple, however I guess it is located at Kollegal. If so it would take around 30 mins from Barachukki falls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks