Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 09:06   #136
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries

We are planning to visit Shivanasamudra & Talakad this Saturday. Heard the place was crowded last week because of ID+weekend holidays. Situation is expected to be much worse this weekend because again this Friday is a holiday. Anyway, we won't get this opportunity very often to watch Cauvery in all her might. We are also planning to visit the Shimsha Hydro Electric Power Station that is not too far from the falls.
Old 16th August 2013, 09:29   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Currently patchy from Belakavadi - Muttanahalli - Somanahalli. The road is also quite narrow in places and uneven.
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=mr&t=m&z=12

Would totally agree with Ampere. The second route is almost double the distance, but is also a more enjoyable drive. The road is in decent condition on this route:
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=12
As advised, I took the second route yesterday from Shivsamudram to Talkadu, and I do not recommend it. There are many kms on this road which have no tarred road and really slowed us down. Surprisingly in between the untarred roads, one stretch is fully done well.

Whereas the road from Madapura to Talkadu was a breeze. So I assume rest of the way to Shivsamudram may also be good. A colleague of mine has recently taken the other route (as marked on sign boards) and did not have any complain, so I guess the shorter route it to be preferred.

The plan was to cover Somnathpura Temple also, but we couldn't make it by the temple closing time - 5:30pm.

Last edited by ST7677 : 16th August 2013 at 09:35.
ST7677 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
We are planning to visit Shivanasamudra & Talakad this Saturday. Heard the place was crowded last week because of ID+weekend holidays. Situation is expected to be much worse this weekend because again this Friday is a holiday. Anyway, we won't get this opportunity very often to watch Cauvery in all her might. We are also planning to visit the Shimsha Hydro Electric Power Station that is not too far from the falls.

The place was extremely crowded yesterday also and was a mess. Just after we entered, the Barachukki falls descending stairs was closed as the crowd below became unmanagable.
It is best to avoid weekends. If you really want to enjoy, go on a working day.
Leaving early also does not help much, as you can do only one viewpoint peacefully, by the time you reach the second point the crowds arrive...
ST7677 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:48   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
The place was extremely crowded yesterday also and was a mess.
==========
Leaving early also does not help much, as you can do only one viewpoint peacefully, by the time you reach the second point the crowds arrive...
ST7677, thanks for the timely note. I will take your advice & postpone my trip to another day. No fun going there when the place is over-crowded.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:04   #140

I had a packed schedule and thus went on sat, 17-Aug despite the weekend warnings. Lady luck was smiling, it was not crowded. Might be the holiday hangover or the fact that I reached early. Left Kasturi Nagar at 730 AM and reached Gaganachukki falls by 1045 AM which included a breakfast break. Kanakpura road was excellent, I was zipping on the two lane road at a speed of 80-100 for most parts, Would slow down considerably in towns or villages. My advise is to leave early and reach the falls before 1030-11 because as i was returning from Bharachukki around 1 PM the crowd had swelled quite a lot.

Go to Gaganachukki, then take a detour and try visiting the falls near the dargah, it gives you unparalleled access to the falls, you can actually take a dip. Then hop onto barachukki falls. Its all in a distance of 12 KM. Keep sufficient time for yourselves. Please pack a big picnic lunch to enjoy the good times.
Old 25th August 2013, 15:43   #141
BHPian

Mysore-Shivanasamudra Falls Trip

We(Self and Wife) had planned a visit to the falls during this season when Cauvery is in full flow.Besides I wanted to use my Spark LS for a small trip.
Left at around 10 am via NH 212.Reached T.Narsipur around 11 am.From there took the drove via Talkad-Belakavadi-Shivsamudra Falls skipping Kollegala.(Last segment was via NH209) to reach Bharachukki falls at 12pm..Enroute, we checked at Madhyaranga Temple for Darshan timings and were told that it will remain open till evening.So,decided to visit on our way back.
At Bharachukki Falls,crowd was not that much,being a working day.Falls were in full glory.We were allowed right down to the 2nd view point.Took some snaps on my Cannon PowerShot A3400,which I will try to post soon.
We had packed some food for lunch. Left the falls and enroute had a good Darshan of Sri Ranganathaswamy at Madhyaranga temple.The idol is shorter than that at Adi Ranga( Srirangapattana). They serve free prasadam lunch but we skipped it and left via the same route.Skipped Gaganachukki as it was getting late.
Note:The Talkad-T.N.Pur route is quite decent except for a very bad 150 metre stretch of pot holed road across a culvert.Pot holes caused due to recent heavy rains and water running over the culvert
The weather was cool all through and there was light drizzle,in some stretches.
Roads were free of traffic. (No eateries up to TN Pura).There after traffic got busy.Beware of driving piles of paddy fodder stacked on the road,for drying.
Returned home via Zoo-Mysore Mall-100 Ft Road at around 3.20PM
Old 25th August 2013, 20:49   #142
BHPian

Re: Mysore-Shivanasamudra Falls Trip

This looks like a nice day outing. My friends visited Shivanasamudram from Mysore few days back, they went via Mysore - Bannur -Malavalli route. Waiting to see the photos from your trip.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:38   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
This looks like a nice day outing. My friends visited Shivanasamudram from Mysore few days back, they went via Mysore - Bannur -Malavalli route. Waiting to see the photos from your trip.
Thanks ankan.m.blr...the Malavalli- Bannur route would be convenient for travellers from Bangalore,I guess.I found the route i chose,relatively free of traffic,decent roads.
I will be posting some selected pictures soon
Old 8th September 2013, 22:55   #144
BHPian

Quick update on Bangalore-Shivanasamudra-Talakadu Road

Just returned home after a day long trip to Shivanasamudra & Talakadu.
  • Kanakapura-Malavalli road is a breeze to drive. Traffic is less, scenic places around.
  • The Shivanasamudra-Talakadu road is in good motorable condition now except a 500 meter stretch in between and the last 1 mile. This is in contrary to lot of writings about this bad road. May be the road is repaired since then.
I will write about my experience in details in a separate thread.
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 14:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I couldnt upload pics due to various issues.
I am working on it.
Old 17th September 2013, 22:55   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Well,I couldnt' upload pics for various issues.Sorry about that.
Perhaps this link can help:

Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP
Old 18th September 2013, 12:07   #147
BHPian

Thank you for the appropriate link.I am going thro the same.I am sure it will be helpful .
Old 21st September 2013, 16:35   #148
BHPian

Some snaps of Bharachukki falls I took during my visit on 24 Aug
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-image3415998300.jpg  

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-image2850879202.jpg  

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-image1891561011.jpg  

virgopal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 13:38   #149
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Have booked Georgia Sunshine resort for the coming weekend. Wanted to know if anyone has stayed here recently and how was the experience.

Further, what are the places around this resort to visit (apart from Shivasamudra) and should Kanakpura road still be preferred or has Maddur to Mallavali road improved?

Cheers

Last edited by pareshraheja : 12th December 2013 at 13:39. Reason: Missed out Resort name
Old 12th December 2013, 14:37   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Have booked Georgia Sunshine resort for the coming weekend. Wanted to know if anyone has stayed here recently and how was the experience.
Its a nice place. Also note its pet friendly. If you are starting early and want to reach the place early take the Kanakpura road. But if you want to have some food in between then take the Mysore road. At Maddur you need to exit the 4-lane Mysore road and get on to the Malavalli SH. Its quite rough not all that great to drive.

So to summarise, place is nice; carry your Breakfast, take the Kanakpura road. And break some where in between for food on the way. The exit to this place is about 8/10 km from where 209 meets the Maddur-Malavalli SH. The last couple of km is a mud road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Further, what are the places around this resort to visit (apart from Shivasamudra) and should Kanakpura road still be preferred or has Maddur to Mallavali road improved?
You can head further to Somnathpura and Talakkad. But they are further down towards Mysore on NH212. This place is more to relax for a weekend. You can do mild treks around the region.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2013 at 12:26. Reason: Back to back posts
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks