Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2018, 13:15   #1531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Driving to Uppal, Hyderbad this Friday, planning to leave koramangala at 3PM.

Please suggest a good place to halt for dinner.

Is it safer to drive on this stretch in the night?
I did Devanahalli - Begumpet on Thursday. Started at 2:00pm from India Paratha Company. Crossed Shamshabad at 7:30pm. The highway was pretty much devoid of traffic except at thrcsite where Kia Motors upcoming plant (it seems AP CM had visited it a couple of hours earlier and luckily for me, public had yet to leave the venue) is located.

You can halt for an early dinner around Anantpur. Just avoid Blue Moon which comes after Anantpur unless it is only for a loo break else you will regret your decision forever. You can even halt at Ghar Dhaba just before Gooty toll. There are many options now on the route including for fuel.

The highway is pretty safe with less traffic and no untoward incidents have been read by me ever but better safe than sorry.

Drive safe, be alert, and don't let the empty stretches make you exceed your speeds at which vehicle control may become difficult.
hyd_traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 20:27   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I did Devanahalli - Begumpet on Thursday. Started at 2:00pm from India Paratha Company. Crossed Shamshabad at 7:30pm. The highway was pretty much devoid of traffic except at thrcsite where Kia Motors upcoming plant (it seems AP CM had visited it a couple of hours earlier and luckily for me, public had yet to leave the venue) is located.

Drive safe, be alert, and don't let the empty stretches make you exceed your speeds at which vehicle control may become difficult.
Excellent timings for your trip. I am planning a similar outing in April.

Last time I used the BLR-HYD route was to go to Hampi. Couple of things I noted on the KA side were:
1. Hated the overgrown bushy median as it hides any number of schoolchildren, cows and tractors. The median was much better maintained on the AP side.
2. Far too many illegal cuts & breaks in the median.

On the AP side nearing HYD (recollecting from a trip in 2009) were the insanely-designed bridges over the many culverts which were too wide for the fast lane. It meant that there was a sudden narrowing of the fast lane when on the bridge itself.

That is in fact what was the initial cause behind the ghastly May 2014 Volvo accident:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...blamed-ap.html
Extract: The culvert parapet wall had encroached into the alignment of the two-lane carriage way (leading to Hyderabad) and created unwarranted obstruction on the high-speed lane.

Have they modified these parapet walls now?

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th March 2018 at 20:46.
Old 12th March 2018, 15:10   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
You can halt for an early dinner around Anantpur. Just avoid Blue Moon which comes after Anantpur unless it is only for a loo break else you will regret your decision forever. You can even halt at Ghar Dhaba just before Gooty toll. There are many options now on the route including for fuel.
It is indeed sad state of affairs at Blue Moon, and I wouldn't have food there ever again after my last experience.
This Ghar dhaba sounds promising, can you give me a little more details regarding it's location & about the below amenities? (say on a scale of 1-10):

1-> Clean washrooms for the ladies.
2-> Efficiency of service.
3-> Hygiene
4-> Quality and variety of food.
5-> Availability of parking space.

For e.g. for Blue Moon I'd give:

1-> 8
2-> 2
3-> 5
4-> 4
5-> 9

I am a frequent traveler on this route and would love to have multiple alternatives.
Old 12th March 2018, 15:55   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
This Ghar dhaba sounds promising, can you give me a little more details regarding it's location & about the below amenities? (say on a scale of 1-10):
We stopped at Ghar dhaba on our return couple of weeks back. The food isn't that great and the ambiance is average, they do not have AC. Service is VERY slow as well. Washrooms were decent though, but I would give it a miss.
dass is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 16:01   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
We stopped at Ghar dhaba on our return couple of weeks back. The food isn't that great and the ambiance is average, they do not have AC. Service is VERY slow as well. Washrooms were decent though, but I would give it a miss.
What a shame, I had thought that finally I will get a proper road-side eatery on this route. Thanks for the update though.

On a different note, why doesn't the owner of '7' on Vijaywada-Hyderabad road take notice of this great business opportunity?
Old 13th March 2018, 21:52   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Traveled last weekend Banglore and return.
The roads awesome.
Fast tags through out except for some local lorries not recharging their tags and hanging up traffic this happened on the way back at Gooty toll.
For the food options a new restaurant is open on Anathpur bypass.
Another one 10kms after the toll before Kurnool when coming from Banglore side.

The best bet when coming from Banglore would be still Devanahalli bypass has lots of options and after that would be Kothakotta the place after Kurnool Food Pyramid this restaurant is 24/7.
I stopped at Blue moon.
Wash rooms are good food is average. Rooms are still open in this place for a stopover in case needed.

The up and down charges with the fast tag at the tolls were flawless as I returned from Banglore within 24hrs. Could save close to 50percent on tolls.

Last edited by gajadonga : 13th March 2018 at 21:59.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 13:20   #1537
BHPian

Friends,
Do we have any alternative route from KR Puram to Devanahalli.
I see few posts on roads being laid in Budigere road which leads to DEvanahalli.
Want to avoid the Airport toll road and Hebbal.
Old 4th April 2018, 18:48   #1538
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
I see few posts on roads being laid in Budigere road which leads to DEvanahalli.
I'm not sure about road work on Budigere route, but that is one route option.
Another option would be to take Hennur road and reach the airport via Bagalur (the new non-toll route for the airport). You can also reach Hennur road from KR Puram via interior roads (TC Palya-K Narayanapura-Doddagubbi-Hennur road OR TC Palya-Horamavu-Hormavu Agata road via the lake, Hennur road).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 13:34   #1539
BHPian

Having trouble in deciding the travel mode between personal car or buses or train.
Every month i travel BLR to HYD on regularly for next 1yr for work.

Most of the buses hike their friday/sat prices beyond 1000. Drive rash and no stops inbetween makes uncomfortable. Bad blankets, no good sleep.

Personal Car drive gives those freedom to stop and go as needed. But, diesel cost and toll charges are high. Just for one way trip, need to spend 2800 including toll charges.
But, tiring ride at the end after long drive of 8-9 hrs.

Since, my destination is gachibowli; train is out of option as I need to travel back from Kachiguda to gachibowli which is another headache.

If anyone falls in same bracket, we can car pool if possible.
Any suggestions please.
Old 20th April 2018, 11:44   #1540
BHPian

Leaving for Hyderabad tomorrow. We're planning to start early (around 4 AM) from HSR Layout. We'll be taking the usual ORR route to Devanahalli and further as the traffic will be sparse at the time.

I have done several trips on this route and always flag off at around first dark hours. We manage to reach the destination at around 11AM. The drive is relaxing and devoid of the need to work the engine too much.

Our regular breakfast stop was Blue Moon. I recollect having Idly, Vada, Dosa and Pongal there. Was pretty good actually. The service is slow, yes, but not lacking. I'm definitely open to trying new restaurants, but I don't remember seeing any decent options for breakfast enroute until after Gooty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So here is my favourite. Nagasamudram Gate or NS gate as it is called. Take that left and head a kilometer into that road. You have Idly shacks. Awesome hot idlys along with masala vada and medu vadas with spicy chutney. They are just hot and awesome. Only draw back is no restrooms. The taste and quality of food is amazing. Use the restrooms at Bluemoon.
I'd love to try this detour. The pull of Idly and Rayalaseema chutney will make me want to. Can you please share the location?

Last edited by strawhat : 20th April 2018 at 11:48.
Old 20th April 2018, 12:31   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
I'd love to try this detour. The pull of Idly and Rayalaseema chutney will make me want to. Can you please share the location?

At around the 155 to 165th kilometer, keep your eyes open for the signage. NS gate is the name of the place. You will have to take a left and get to that village. Once you take the left you will pass a railway track. You will have 4-5 of these idly shacks. I normally eat with the person on the left as you enter the village. You can continue to drive out without turning around. The road will rejoin the highway. If you find the spot pls share the google location for the benefit of others.
Old 30th April 2018, 13:05   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
Want to avoid the Airport toll road and Hebbal.
Hi black stallion,

I have used below route many a times...It joins the hyderabad highway after the toll you mentioned.

Shared route
From Bengaluru - Tirupati Hwy to Srinagar - Kanyakumari Hwy via Budigere Rd.

47 min (31*km)
44 min in current traffic

1. Head north-east towards Budigere Rd
2. Turn left onto Budigere Rd
3. Turn left
4. Arrive at location: Nallur Rd
5. Head west
6. Turn right
7. Turn left
8. Slight right at Budigere Jct
9. Continue straight
10. Arrive at location: SH 104
11. Head north-east on SH 104
12. Turn left onto NH648
13. Arrive at location: NH648
14. Head north-west on NH648
15. Turn right onto SH 104
16. Turn right onto NH 44
17. Arrive at location: Srinagar - Kanyakumari Hwy

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/FFsTUi5Rgv82

There was some road widening work going on in March this year...Not sure if that's completed or not.
Old 30th April 2018, 15:45   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Having trouble in deciding the travel mode between personal car or buses or train.
Every month i travel BLR to HYD on regularly for next 1yr for work.

Most of the buses hike their friday/sat prices beyond 1000. Drive rash and no stops inbetween makes uncomfortable. Bad blankets, no good sleep.

Personal Car drive gives those freedom to stop and go as needed. But, diesel cost and toll charges are high. Just for one way trip, need to spend 2800 including toll charges.
But, tiring ride at the end after long drive of 8-9 hrs.

Since, my destination is gachibowli; train is out of option as I need to travel back from Kachiguda to gachibowli which is another headache.

If anyone falls in same bracket, we can car pool if possible.
Any suggestions please.

Mine is going to be similar situation going forward.

BTW which company do you work for and what is your frequency of doing such a trip ?
Old 8th May 2018, 16:43   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
At around the 155 to 165th kilometer, keep your eyes open for the signage. NS gate is the name of the place. You will have to take a left and get to that village. Once you take the left you will pass a railway track. You will have 4-5 of these idly shacks. I normally eat with the person on the left as you enter the village. You can continue to drive out without turning around. The road will rejoin the highway. If you find the spot pls share the google location for the benefit of others.
Is it this location? By description, you mean to cross the rly gate as shown in the map I guess?
https://www.google.com/maps/@14.3156...6332936,16.08z
Old 8th May 2018, 23:10   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Is it this location? By description, you mean to cross the rly gate as shown in the map I guess?

https://www.google.com/maps/@14.3156...6332936,16.08z

Yes that place is called Manikanta hotel.

Most Viewed