Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 00:45   #3001
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Drove from Goa to Bombay on the 26/08.

We left at 05.45 hrs. and reached BKC at 15.35 hrs.

Roads in Goa are pathetic to say the least. What used to be magic carpet roads have been systematically destroyed in the name of (supposed) "Development"!!

No exit permit required for Goa so we sailed through.

Fairly thorough check at the MH border but as I had all paperwork in order it wasn't a problem. It took about 15 to 20 minutes as I had to spell out the names of all people in the car, addresses etc.

Once this was done the rest of the passage was easy. I had stuck a copy of the EPass on the passenger window so, when asked to stop, I just slowed down while they looked at the EPass and waved me on.

Fastag also worked fairly well except for overcharging me when I came off the Expressway. But it worked so my windows were never lowered except at Vashi toll.

As no restaurants were open we had carried enough food and used HP Petrol Pumps for fuel and bio breaks. Their washrooms were O.K. Relatively clean.

Once into MH, the roads were much, much better than Goa. I used the Amboli Ghat which was in very good condition. After Amboli, while approaching Ajra and after Ajra there are a lot of potholes and you have to drive slowly. Once you turn off towards Uttur and Nipani the road is very good. However look out for nasty speed breakers after Uttur and all the way to Nipani.

Once on the NH, the road was good till Karad and after but while approaching
Satara the road had lots of potholes. Even the newly constructed flyovers were in poor shape.

I got a speeding ticket (Rs. 1000.00) for doing 82 Kmph in an 80 Kmph zone!!

Look out for white "Ertigas" parked at the side of the road with their boot open and no one around. The cops are hiding inside with a camera / speed gun. All I noticed were some blue boxes at the back - till I passed them!

Although I was told that traffic was very light, this is incorrect. I had pretty much normal traffic on the NH4 and maybe more 2 wheelers than usual especially around Kolhapur. Traffic was heavy on the Expressway and entering Bombay. Got stuck in a jam at BKC and then again at Andheri West.

All in all, an O.K. drive. Enjoyed it after a 7 month break.

Regards,
SS
Hi,

I plan to drive to Goa from Mumbai with my family 2 weeks from now. I am very confused on which route to take? NH4 for sure, but whether to drive via Chorla Ghat or Take a right turn after Nipani, at Gadhinglaj towards Ajra via the Amboli Ghat.

I plan to stay in South Goa. You mentioned road condition in Goa is bad. Any specific patch?

Lastly, I drive a 4th-gen. Honda City 2016 V MT i-vtec variant. I drove to Goa last year during the rainy season and the road condition via Chorla was very bad and it lead to a flat tyre as soon as my car went into a big pothole. I had to replace both front tyres on reaching Goa as the other front tyre developed a bulge. My car continues to run on stock tyre specification of 175mm R15. My car has run another 10,000 kms since i replaced the front tyres.

I have read multiple threads on the forum clearly stating that skinny tyres on the Honda City are not safe. However since my new set of tyres have just completed 10,000 kms only and keeping in mind the current road condition due to incessant rains, is it advisable for me to upgrade my tyres to 195/60 R 15 as suggested on the forum or should I drive slow, be very careful on bad patches and use these tyres for another 25,000kms before going for an upgrade.

Look forward to suggestions as I will be travelling 2 weeks from now.
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 01:06   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Hi,

I plan to drive to Goa from Mumbai with my family 2 weeks from now. I am very confused on which route to take? NH4 for sure, but whether to drive via Chorla Ghat or Take a right turn after Nipani, at Gadhinglaj towards Ajra via the Amboli Ghat.

I plan to stay in South Goa. You mentioned road condition in Goa is bad. Any specific patch?

is it advisable for me to upgrade my tyres to 195/60 R 15 as suggested on the forum or should I drive slow, be very careful on bad patches and use these tyres for another 25,000kms before going for an upgrade.

Look forward to suggestions as I will be travelling 2 weeks from now.
Hi RJ2285,

If you are staying at South Goa, I would definitely suggest that you use the Chorla Ghat. A friend of mine just drove from Goa to Belgaum about a week ago and said the road was in pretty good shape. However, in the monsoons, a good road today does not necessarily mean a good road tomorrow.

Do note that by using the Chorla Ghat you will miss out at least 25 to 30 kms of rubbish roads which you would encounter if you use the Amboli Ghat. The bad stretch I encountered was from the Goa border at Patradevi all the way to Mapuca.

There are some bad patches around Ajra as well. The road is not perfect. In fact you will find several bad patches on NH4 as well. You just have to go slow and tackle them one at a time. In a City you need to go extra slow!! I think you can stick with your current tyres though without actually seeing them, it's a difficult call to make. I am going on the fact that they have been used for just 10k Kms and so should be in good nick.

Please stick to the speed limits mentioned. I got fined Rs. 1000 for doing just 2kmph over the speed limit of 80 Kmph.

There is a lot of road concretisation going on in Belgaum which may slow you down a bit. Just be patient. Once you reach the overbridge at Sanquelim, make sure you take the right turn To Panjim and not the left to Mapuca.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 20:12   #3003
BHPian

Anyone traveling to Goa and planning to go via Chorla, please note, the roads are in horrible condition, almost non existent with crater sized potholes.
The moment you cross over into Goa, it becomes evident as the road deteriorates drastically all the way till the check post.
abhinavj01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 06:02   #3004
Team-BHP Support

Hello folks, has anyone taken Anmod road recently via Bhimgad sanctuary? A friend and I are planning to ride down via this route. Will be great help if someone can update the recent status.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:31   #3005
BHPian

Quick questions before I start my journey to South Goa this weekend:

- Which is the best route to travel to South Goa. Conflicting posts above on Chorla being in good shape and horrible. Will be very helpful if there are any alternative routes and gmap links available.

- Are any eateries open on the way, with good hygiene and sanitization

- Is there any e-pass required now to enter goa or leave MH? Is there any sort of test report needed or are they conducting any forced tests or quarantine?

Thanks guys
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 15:21   #3006
BHPian

I am also planning to start for Goa tonight and spend next 2 days (2-4OCT) in North Goa (Baga).

I am assuming:
  1. No E-Pass is required anymore
  2. No Covid test report is required
  3. Only temperature check will be done at hotel (Like what happened @Panchgani stay last week)
  4. Will take Amboli ghat for going north Goa (From Pune)

If anyone travelled recently or have info please share here

Last edited by Samfromindia : 1st October 2020 at 15:22.
Old 1st October 2020, 15:53   #3007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Quick questions before I start my journey to South Goa this weekend:

- Which is the best route to travel to South Goa. Conflicting posts above on Chorla being in good shape and horrible. Will be very helpful if there are any alternative routes and gmap links available.
I checked Google maps and some latest Youtube videos of both routes. My "guess" is that Anmod is in a better shape than Chorla.

https://goo.gl/maps/qoUgcUVzCjfJ9EtQA

Quote:
- Are any eateries open on the way, with good hygiene and sanitization
I prefer two places usually:

- Sai International ~35 kms before Kolhapur
- Amar veg Opposite side of highway at the base of Tawandi Ghat

Quote:
- Is there any e-pass required now to enter goa or leave MH? Is there any sort of test report needed or are they conducting any forced tests or quarantine?
Nope, all clear and nothing needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I am also planning to start for Goa tonight and spend next 2 days (2-4OCT) in North Goa (Baga).

I am assuming:
Your assumptions are correct
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 17:16   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
<<snip>>
Thanks. Looking forward for your report. Will decide my route accordingly. Safe travels
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 18:05   #3009

Hello Gents,

I recently returned from Goa after a 2 week long stay in South Goa. So thought of updating all those who plan to venture down that road!
NH4 from Pune to Satara is overall good, but be very careful of the odd deep pothole which comes up suddenly whithout giving you a chance to slow down or to avoid it.
After Satara the road gets better till Kolhapur and post Kolhapur it's excellent till Belgaum.
The city roads in Belgaum are under construction, hence the condition is not very good.
On my way to Goa, I took the Chorla Ghat and the road is non existent in some patches, especially in a 10km patch before and after the Wildernest resort. Huge craters in some places, which will spell disaster for most of the vehicles if not negotiated properly.
Roads in South Goa are excellent as always. However the roads in North Goa are not in a good shape due to the ongoing 4 lane works on the NH17.
My return journey was via the Anmod Ghat. Anmod Ghat is not officialy open for traffic yet, however the condition is much better than Chorla. The section of this road in Goa state is good with a smooth layer of tarmac. Enter Karnataka and the road turns concrete, with the shoulder areas not yet finished, leaving almost a 1.5 foot gutter along the side of the road. The road is quite wide and you shouldn't have a problem unless you veer seriously off course! Just after the Anmod checkpost, do not forget to take the left for Bhimgad Forest Reserve. The approach to the forest road is a bit tricky, but the road is quite good thereafter till Belgaum, barring a few patches of not so good surface.
Hope this helps. Thanks and Drive safe!
Capt. Haddock is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:08   #3010
Team-BHP Support

Rode from Pune to Goa on Friday and returned on Sunday. Here are my updates:

Pune to Goa: Via Amboli.

Pune to Satara:

Just can't curse this stretch enough. Road upto Khambatki ghat is marred with potholes, service roads for a few flyovers under construction, etc. Service roads are fully washed out. Newly constructed bridges have craters that can take in cars and have been cordoned off. This is true on both sides of the carriage way.

Satara to Karad:

Decent roads once you finish Satara bypass and go across the sugar factory. No surprises barring a very small stretch that has a lane closed off for repair work.

Karad to Kolhapur:

Again a breeze and excellent. Problem on this route is the unusually dense traffic as you approach Kolhapur because of the industrial zones on the outskirts of Kolhapur.

Once you cross Kolhapur, your world changes. Mainly after you exit MH border. Traffic is sparse and the roads are butter smooth. Took Uttur turn off and the road is completely done until you get on Gadinglaj Ajara stretch. Lovely tarmac till then.

Barring the odd few 10s of meters every 20-25mins, Ajara to Amboli is a breeze too. Amboli to Goa border is again well done and devoid of any surprises.

Enter Goa and you'll be welcomed with completely broken roads for 4-laning the entire stretch from north Goa to south Goa. We took the fork off at Pernem and did Pernem - Parse - Siolim - Calangute - Candolim. This is far better although a wee bit longer. Good roads make it a breeze.

Goa to Pune: Via Anmod Ghat

Return: Candolim - Mollem - Anmod - Bhagwan Mahavir Sanctuary - Khanapur - Belgaum - Pune

Candolim - Ponda - Mollem - Anmod is a delight. If you are riding / driving in the wee hours, the stretch is a delight to enjoy fast corners coupled with a scenic drive in the dense forests of Goa. Climbing up Anmod is a breeze too. There is zero truck traffic due to restrictions on heavy vehicle movement which makes it all the more enticing to push.

Anmod - Khanapur: This stretch is good enough for keeping up a constant pace. Barring a few minimal bad roads there is barely anything to complain.

Khanapur - Belgaum has a few bad patches due to construction activity but again nothing significant to complain about.

Belgaum to Kolhapur is a breeze and fast enough for spirited driving. Enter MH and your nightmare begins
moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:13   #3011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Haddock View Post
I recently returned from Goa after a 2 week long stay in South Goa.
How are things in South Goa? Are there a lot of tourists? Are places open or mostly shut? Are people observing covid protocols such as wearing masks? (Thanks in advance for any information.)
Old 6th October 2020, 08:03   #3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
How are things in South Goa

Hi Am1m. This was one of my best times in South Goa. I was there from 11 to 25th September. Hardly any tourists present, which gave us pristine empty beaches. Most of the famous touristy restaurants are open for business with proper COVID-19 precautions. Go to local joints and you can see things going for a toss. I can't say much about the hotels, as I didn't stay in one. You will find a mixed bag of people on the street, some taking precautions and others totally careless!
Capt. Haddock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:14   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Haddock View Post
This was one of my best times in South Goa. I was there from 11 to 25th September. Hardly any tourists present, which gave us pristine empty beaches. Most of the famous touristy restaurants are open for business with proper COVID-19 precautions
You are very lucky. Probably just once in our lifetime one would get to enjoy Goa the way it should always be. Been going there every year (native) and over the last decade seeing a lot of exploitation. Thank God the 'Sunburn' festival has been discontinued, was a havoc for locals.

Coming to the travel, I drive an Ameo DSG which is a low slung compact sedan and with near ok ground clearance. Have driven it to Goa few times now and had a terrible incident of tyre burst due too going over an unavoidable huge pothole between Satara and Kolhapur. Also drove on a non existing road of Gagan Bawda as I had to stay over at Kankavli. Any idea if Gagan Bawda is still in pathetic state? Any other doable road to Kankavli or Vaibhawvadi?

Plan to go to Goa again soon, are the roads on Chorla ghat that bad for an Ameo to take? Have also been hearing of increase in Toll Charges as well. I would like to reach Bicholim so please guide accordingly.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 6th October 2020 at 09:17.
Old 6th October 2020, 09:32   #3014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Coming to the travel, I drive an Ameo DSG which is a low slung compact sedan and with near ok ground clearance. Have driven it to Goa few times now and had a terrible incident of tyre burst due too going over an unavoidable huge pothole between Satara and Kolhapur. Also drove on a non existing road of Gagan Bawda as I had to stay over at Kankavli. Any idea if Gagan Bawda is still in pathetic state? Any other doable road to Kankavli or Vaibhawvadi?
Gaganbavda has been repaired but puts several challenges on the drive for multiple reasons. One, you have to pretty much go across Kolhapur town which eats up a lot of time. Two, once you cross Kolhapur, the entire stretch upto the ghat has several villages that one has to cross.

We recently rode via Amba ghat onward to Sakharpa. This route is far better than Gaganbavda due to lesser villages enroute and a rather nice road surface to complement it. It also hits a majorly complete stretch of NH66 past Sakharpa.

The latest update on Chorla is that the Goa side is messed up. I'll know by 22nd when I drive up Chorla.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 10:09   #3015
BHPian

A friend drove Belgaum to Goa and back via Chorla route recently. He said the Chorla Ghat section in Goa limits is absolutely horrendous. Not recommended in its present state. Better use Bhimgad WLS--Anmod ghat or Amboli ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

Plan to go to Goa again soon, are the roads on Chorla ghat that bad for an Ameo to take? Have also been hearing of increase in Toll Charges as well. I would like to reach Bicholim so please guide accordingly.
Avoid Chorla !!!!! Definitely not any of the cars from VW stable atleast, mine is a Polo too. The potholes are extremely deep as reported by my friend. SUVs can proceed with extreme caution.

Last edited by vivek95 : 6th October 2020 at 10:14.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks