Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 14:56   #4306
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cool Drives within 150km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
My suggestion: Take the road between D and C
I was always for what you you mentioned. But later I remember you (or I think it was Parag) mentioning that this option was very bad with a railway crossing gone really horrible. Hence it was better to take the Gorur road (points A and B) as you have shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
It is still bad amp, but because of the shorter distance of the bad stretch, it would be feasible to take this.
Addy,

Last time I did that stretch that on a Fusion, I could easily manage with some close calls. As you said since the overall stretch was not long, I could get over it easily.
Then how taking Mysore road and then through the city? Longer and not worth it?

Last edited by ampere : 16th October 2012 at 15:03.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:59   #4307
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cool Drives within 150km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was always for what you you mentioned. But later I remember you (or I think it was Parag) mentioning that this option was very bad with a railway crossing gone really horrible. Hence it was better to take the Gorur road (points A and B) as you have shown.
It is still bad amp, but because of the shorter distance of the bad stretch, it would be feasible to take this.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 11:29   #4308
BHPian

can anyone tell me about the road condition between Madikeri to Sulliya? I will be traveling to Kumble this Weekend and I was planning to go via Madikeri. Can I take the Sulliya - Jalsoor route?
Old 20th October 2012, 23:08   #4309
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Since several folks have done Charmadi recently, can someone please comment on belur-gonebidu-kottigehara VS belur-gendehalli-kottigehara? I am leaving there Monday morning.
Last time I went to Mudigere was an year ago and I suffered on some rough stretches through Gonebidu. I want to avoid this stretch if it still is in a bad shape.
Old 21st October 2012, 00:03   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Since several folks have done Charmadi recently, can someone please comment on belur-gonebidu-kottigehara VS belur-gendehalli-kottigehara? I am leaving there Monday morning.
Last time I went to Mudigere was an year ago and I suffered on some rough stretches through Gonebidu. I want to avoid this stretch if it still is in a bad shape.
The Gonebidu route is is great shape now. Am headed there tomorrow.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 16:35   #4311
BHPian

Restaurants before Sakaleshpur

Hi,

I'd be returning from Mangalore next week. Are there any good restaurants with decent toilets, before Sakaleshapura. I remember seeing a Kamat near Uppinangady, but their website lists only the one near C R Patna (udayapura).

Prasad
Old 21st October 2012, 19:07   #4312
BHPian

Re: Restaurants before Sakaleshpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

I'd be returning from Mangalore next week. Are there any good restaurants with decent toilets, before Sakaleshapura. I remember seeing a Kamat near Uppinangady, but their website lists only the one near C R Patna (udayapura).

Prasad
Just after uppinangady junction around a km ahead on the left, you have 'Aditya'. One of the best restaurant/hotel on this highway. If not this, you would have 'Surabhi Next' which will be on your left, say around 3 kms before you hit the sakleshpur town.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:06   #4313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru

Just after uppinangady junction around a km ahead on the left, you have 'Aditya'. One of the best restaurant/hotel on this highway. If not this, you would have 'Surabhi Next' which will be on your left, say around 3 kms before you hit the sakleshpur town.
I second that. Both these places are decent.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:34   #4314
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I will be doing a Bangalore - Mangalore - Belgaum - Bangalore trip in the first week of November in my Laura.

First of all, what is best route to Mangalore from Bangalore these days and what is the condition of roads (Shiradi ghats etc..)? . Say if I start by 6 AM from Sanjaynagar, at what time can I expect to reach Mangalore (Baikampady indl estate) ?

THe plan is to finish off work that day at Mangalore and spend the night at Mangalore. Some good Hotel suggestions are welcome

The next day I will be driving to Belgaum from Mangalore. On the way to Belgaum I have to visit a company in Aroor near Brahmavara.

Please suggest the best route from Mangalore to Belgaum

Google maps gives me three options

Option 1

Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapura - Bhatkal - Honnavar - Kumta - Yellapur - Haliyal - Khanapur - Belgaum

Total distance = 422 kms

In this option, I am familiar with the road conditions from Kumta onwards. (Two lane 60 ~ 80kph roads, but generally OK). Honnavar to Kumta tends to develop huge pot holes , which authorities fill up every now and then. The last time I drove this stretch, it was somewaht OK. Meaning to say one could drive around the potholes as traffic was generally not so dense.

The biggest fear of this route is the Kundapur - Bhatkal - Honnavar stretch. THis stretch always seems to be a nightmare.

Option 2

Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapura - Bhatkal - Kargal - Mavingundi - Siddapura - Sirsi - Yellapur - Haliyal - Khanapur - Belgaum

Total distance = 456 kms

Here I am familiar and comfortable with roads from Mavingundi onwards. The Bhatkal to Siddapur stretch (SH 50) is the worry as it is totally unknown.

Option 3

Mangalore - Udupi - Brahmavara - Hulikal - Hosanagara - Sagara - Siddapur - Sirsi - Yellapur - Haliyal - Khanapur - Belgaum

Total distance = 457 kms

Here again Sagar to Belgaum is familair. Brahmavar to Sagara is the fear.

Inputs of any kind will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-3.jpg  

Old 25th October 2012, 14:57   #4315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Guys, I will be doing a Bangalore - Mangalore - Belgaum - Bangalore trip in the first week of November in my Laura.

First of all, what is best route to Mangalore from Bangalore these days and what is the condition of roads (Shiradi ghats etc..)? . Say if I start by 6 AM from Sanjaynagar, at what time can I expect to reach Mangalore (Baikampady indl estate) ?

THe plan is to finish off work that day at Mangalore and spend the night at Mangalore. Some good Hotel suggestions are welcome
Just came back from Mangalore on tuesday. Shiradi is still the fastest route. expect rough patches between sakleshpur-gundya but still drivable condition and less traffic. Dont worry about this part.

Coming to hotels, i dont stay much in hotels as i got plenty of relatives but if you are looking for a budget accommodation to just spend a night or transit purpose

Abhiman residency
Ayodhya hotel

Strictly speaking, they are good in terms of cleanliness and veg food and are only budget hotels.
If you are looking for posh options, i am sure you can find plenty online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The next day I will be driving to Belgaum from Mangalore. On the way to Belgaum I have to visit a company in Aroor near Brahmavara.

Please suggest the best route from Mangalore to Belgaum
Option one is the better among the 3 i guess. if you still want to be safe and expect very good road condition, go all the way till hubli and then take diversion.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 25th October 2012 at 14:59.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 22:27   #4316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I second that. Both these places are decent.
Am planning for a breakfast stopover either at Surabhi NXT or Ossur during my next week trip to DSL.

Which of the above 2 places are recommended for a good breakfast and good toilets (womenfolk travelling with me).
Old 26th October 2012, 22:32   #4317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Am planning for a breakfast stopover either at Surabhi NXT or Ossur during my next week trip to DSL.

Which of the above 2 places are recommended for a good breakfast and good toilets (womenfolk travelling with me).
Surabhi NXT, i have found them to have clean toilets and better parking facilities. Food is also decent. There were not so good feedback on food at 'Ossur' on this thread.

Last edited by JMaruru : 26th October 2012 at 22:34.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 22:41   #4318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Surabhi NXT, i have found them to have clean toilets and better parking facilities. Food is also decent. There were not so good feedback on food at 'Ossur' on this thread.

Thanks JMaruru for the tip !!
Old 27th October 2012, 07:45   #4319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

Among the two, Surabhi is better. Ossur always looks pleasing to the eyes until one day i decided to stop there for lunch.

Surabhi is run by a group that owns 4 restaurants in sakleshpur(owned by some mangalore guy). And their dosa and veg meals are good. toilets are decent too
Old 27th October 2012, 08:12   #4320
BHPian

Surabhi nxt is good. You could also try Mythri for good Dosas. The loos in both places are average.
chandan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks