Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 10:01   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A necessary development considering the positioning of the two cities but in my opinion the widening of existing bangalore - mysore road would have caused less trouble for the farmers and environment alike.
I think the farmers were compensated pretty well, of course I'm just basing this on the couple of conversations I've had with a few locals. But the environmental impact is undeniable. We've been trekking/exploring in the areas between the Bidadi-Ramanagara stretch for a few years now. Had a few run-ins with the Forest Department where they'd kick us out citing the vulture sanctuary limits. Interesting now to see an expressway that will carry trucks and buses cutting through and skirting the very same areas that were deemed too sensitive for 4-5 people to walk through just a few years ago! Undeniable, the impact our lifestyles have on the environment.

Last edited by am1m : 27th September 2021 at 10:02.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 00:02   #1097
BHPian

Driving from BLR to Mysore and back next week Sedan ie. low GC car. reading the post I guess the my best bet is the Mysore Road (Bidadi - Chanapatna - Mandya). Are the better rout options?

Has anyone done BLR - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Bellur cross - Nagamangala - Mysore recently?

I am on holiday and don't mind the time it takes, what I want decent road and a nice drive.
Old 10th October 2021, 04:43   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierk View Post

Has anyone done BLR - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Bellur cross - Nagamangala - Mysore recently?

I am on holiday and don't mind the time it takes, what I want decent road and a nice drive.

The route you have mentioned is fantastic. It’s a single road once you take the left turn at Bellur Cross towards Nagamangala, but the road surface is very nice till Srirangapatna. Once you reach Srirangapatna, it’s the same Bangalore - Mysore Highway which is work in progress. But it is only 15 kms, should be okay.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 06:42   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierk View Post
Driving from BLR to Mysore and back next week Sedan ie. low GC car. reading the post I guess the my best bet is the Mysore Road (Bidadi - Chanapatna - Mandya). Are the better rout options?

I took the Mysore road from Bangalore yesterday and one word of advice: AVOID! It was no fun to drive for good 70% of the route with many holdups and umpteen diversions. Coming back today and will be taking the Bellur cross alternative.

Last edited by CosmicWizard : 10th October 2021 at 06:43.
CosmicWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 07:14   #1100
Senior - BHPian

So, thr normal Mysore Road is ‘Avoid’, Kanakpura road is ‘frustrating’. Only option left is Kunigal.

I wonder how many would start using that road, making it slower for the immediate future.

Kanakpura road from Kanakpura town till Anjanapura was to be 4 laned. I remember work started 4 years back, but barring a couple of stretches, it’s far from complete even after so many years and you hardly get to see anyone working also on that stretch.
Old 12th October 2021, 23:09   #1101
BHPian

Took the Kanakpura Rd route from Bangalore to Mysore today around 11. Road was patchy till Kanakpura - no stretch which was bad in terms of potholes, just tiring to drive. Was good after Kanakpura, for most part.
Old 15th October 2021, 12:58   #1102
BHPian

Have to travel from Chennai to Mysore tomorrow. Leaving Chennai early morning. Considering the ongoing road work, between Bangalore and Mysore, request the regulars to suggest the best route options.
Old 15th October 2021, 14:16   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin76 View Post
Have to travel from Chennai to Mysore tomorrow. Leaving Chennai early morning. Considering the ongoing road work, between Bangalore and Mysore, request the regulars to suggest the best route options.
If you want to avoid Bangalore - Mysore Highway, you can take a deviation at Bommasandra towards left to Jigani to reach Kanakapura. From Kanakapura, you can take the Malavalli - Bannur route to reach Mysore. I am assuming that the road from Bommasandra to Kanakapura is good.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 19:51   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin76 View Post
The roadworks does not create any major issues. The alternate road, Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore (NH 948) also has roadworks going on and is quite the worse option.

Both roads are accessed via NICE Road when coming from Chennai via Hosur. Do not enter E-City toll, take service road at the first signal to enter NICE Road. 2nd exit is Kanakapura Road, 4th exit is Mysore Road.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 21:12   #1105
BHPian

Was in Mysore for Dusshera week and would highly recommend the BLR - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Bellur cross - Nagamangala - Mysore, Did this rout both ways.

1) Road is good and well maintained (the only exception is the short stretch from Srirangaptna to Mysore)
2) Not too much traffic and most of it is fast moving (very few trucks)
3) Very scenic makes for good stops just to see the countryside.

and most importantly its single lane in each direction so it actually fun to drive
xavierk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 08:29   #1106
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Kerala via Mysore. Took the Kanakpura, Malavalli, Bannur, Mysore road from Bangalore. Till Kanakpura as before - mix of diversions, patchy roads, completed 4 lane sections, one side completed sections. Did not see any major signs of work happening. I left at 5.30am and at this time it was comfortable due to less traffic. Malavalli- Bannur- Mysore has started to become patchy with several deep potholes at frequent intervals. Seems to be an effect of the heavy rains recently and it was in perfect condition when I last drove in Jan. So be watchful when taking this route. Quite surprising as this section was relaid relatively recently.

Was a nice drive though with lush green everywhere. With the regular route becoming an expressway, hope this route continues to be maintained well for those wanting the old school scenic route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 20:42   #1107
BHPian

Bangalore - Mysore Road never ceases to amaze , intrigue me ... took a KSRTC Volvo for a small errand from Bangalore and was promptly diverted at Mandya due to a farmer protest near Mysore , what should have taken a routine 3.5 to 4 took nearly 6 hrs . Came back again by bus as I had parked my vehicle at Satellite and this time the Volvo driver took the Mysore - Bannur- Malvalli- Maddur - Bangalore route and still took 5 hrs. Silver lining is that the work seems to be progressing well and hope springs eternal.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 15:02   #1108
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Bangalore to Mysore on 26th Friday November. Started at 2 pm and took mysore road and reached around 6 pm including a 45 minutes break in Kamat Lokaruchi for tea/snacks break.
Didn't see any issues or protests anywhere. it was all normal.
However, due to road construction work, its painful to drive in Mysore road now.
With so much rains, the roads are terrible. Way Too many diversions, so quite tiring in terms of driving effort.

So in return journey, yesterday came back from Mysore via Srirangapatna, Pandavapura, Nagamangala, Kunigal route and able to reach in 3 hours. As expected Excellent roads all throughout till Nelamangala toll and can use cruise control in many places.
Although 50 kms more, time wise and driving effort wise it's best to take this route to Mysore and beyond and return journey too.
For the sake of our car tyres and wheel, better not to take Mysore road and Kunigal route is 1000 times better.
Worst roads are from Nelamangala - Parle G toll and in Bangalore City only
-Ravi
ravib is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 19:27   #1109
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone who has recently driven Nagamangala - H'Durga - Magadi. Any updates on route and road contiditons?
Old 12th December 2021, 22:22   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Anyone who has recently driven Nagamangala - H'Durga - Magadi. Any updates on route and road contiditons?
I did the run BLR- Neelmangala- kunigal- Belur- Nagamangala- Srirangapatna Mysore and back mid October and would definitely suggest the rout, the road was good. no sudden potholes a few well marked speed breakers (very unscientific my 330i touched on one of them). Was able to average about 48kmph home to hotel but this was me staying under 80 and taking break's in between.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks