Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 18:19   #1081
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Slightly OT but anyone here who has recently driven Shravanabelagola > Nagamangala > H.Durga > Magadi? Are the roads decent to drive?
I think you may have already this by now. Saw this later.

Shravanabelagola-Nagamanagla is a belter. No worries.

Nagamangala-H Durga is pretty patchy at many places.

H Durga - Magadi : Belter in parts and the last 7-10km to Magadi was broken and was udergoing repairs. Dont know how it is now. The last update by member deehunk says most of those work is complete.

Hope this helps if you have already not driven.
Old 16th September 2021, 23:01   #1082
BHPian

Bangalore to Mysore via Kunigal will take approximately three hours including quick stop for food. I have been stopping at hotel Dhruvatare just before the left turn to Nagamangala and have not been disappointed. The hotel also has a kid's play area. Kunigal to Srirangapatnam is not four lane, but road surface is good.

Regular Mysore route is also good but my fuel economy takes a hit due to multiple diversions. Bidadi to Nice road junction is a nightmare if you are coming back in the evening.... add 45 minutes to one hour of waiting time.

Last edited by sumannandy : 16th September 2021 at 23:02.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:19   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am heading towards Shivanasamudra on one of the coming weekdays. Which route should I take - Kanakapura Road or Mysore Road? Starting from North Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2021, 11:28   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys, I am heading towards Shivanasamudra on one of the coming weekdays. Which route should I take - Kanakapura Road or Mysore Road? Starting from North Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
From a more peaceful drive perspective - Kanakapura road. Carry some food and water , this route has limited refreshments apart from Chikoo farm Inn near Kanakapura.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:33   #1085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which route should I take - Kanakapura Road or Mysore Road? Starting from North Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
From a more peaceful drive perspective - Kanakapura road
I would disagree as Kaggalipura to Kanakpura is a mess of diversions, bad speed breakers and relatively narrow roads as compared to the well managed diversions on Mysore road. If its an early morning weekday start, I would definitely recommend mysore road over kanakpura road.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:59   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I would disagree as Kaggalipura to Kanakpura is a mess of diversions, bad speed breakers and relatively narrow roads as compared to the well managed diversions on Mysore road. If its an early morning weekday start, I would definitely recommend mysore road over kanakpura road.
As of last week, As you said Mysore road is good for a very early morning before sunrise start - to reach Mysore (Hardly 2 hours) of course and Kanakapura road for anytime afterwards. There are a few rough patches (OP's Endy won't even know it) but it is still faster than Mysore road and scenic as well.

The Mysore road is destroyed now due to highway projects, most of the eateries are gone or not worth visiting as well , it is now become a no-stop highway until you reach Mysore city.
Old 25th September 2021, 13:00   #1087
Senior - BHPian

From the Kanakpura Nice junction till Kanakpura will be a major pain and stress to drive on. Broken roads, bad speed breakers before Kaggalipura, horrible stretch near Edify school and near Brigade meadows apartments, bad roads stretch every now and then, and the KSRTC red buses who will bulldoze you - that’s Kanakpura road for you these days. If there is an alternate route, this one is best avoided.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 25th September 2021 at 13:21. Reason: Spelling
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 13:43   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
most of the eateries are gone or not worth visiting as well
Whatever happened to good old Indradhanush, Shivalli, etc.? Sorry, haven't been that side for a while now.
Old 25th September 2021, 17:43   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever happened to good old Indradhanush, Shivalli, etc.? Sorry, haven't been that side for a while now.
It's there , Halli Mane is also there , some of the others are hard to spot now , Vattika is where I used to stop earlier , that place is ruined now so just don't bother with stopping on the way .

Dasaprakash in Mysore is where I head to, peaceful old world charm.

By the way if you are on Kanakapura road you can take a detour to Bilikkal Betta, an off-road drive. On Mysore road a detour towards Jalamangala fort is also an off-road drive.
Old 26th September 2021, 11:28   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

The era of the 100's of eateries on Bangalore-Mysore Road is coming to an end. Another 1-2 years, the expressway will be completed and if you look at the alignment and design, a lot of it is greenfield elevated roads - especially the Ramanagara-Channapatna-Maddur section which will get bypassed with a new road in typical expressway style. The driving time will reduce which would mean that there would be no need for a stop and today's convenience of just pulling off the highway directly into an eatery will also be gone.

So in my view, eateries would get consolidated into 1-2 all-in-one places. Even today with the work in full swing, a lot of the places are gone. When I drove the stretch couple of weeks back, got a fair idea of the alignments of the expressway. Starts after NICE, goes elevated for some distance, toll booth at Kumbalgodu, bypasses Bidadi (new road), aligns with current highway till Ramanagara , then a big Greenfield road that bypasses both Ramanagara and Channapatna, aligns to current highway again, then takes off as a bypass/flyover over Maddur.. aligns on highway till Mandya , bypasses Mandya , then as I understood(as no work was happening), would align on the existing highway, bypass Srirangapatna and the aligns on the highway again till Columbia Asia. Some small stretches are open and we can clearly see the 3+3 lane and 2+2 lane service road alignment.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 26th September 2021 at 11:37.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 12:32   #1091
Senior - BHPian

It’s actually convenient and makes sense to have the typical ‘food plaza’ models at a slight detour/away from the highway. Most people these days do a sudden halt and don’t even hesitate to drive in reverse for a few metres to get to the highway food joints.

The Blr-Mys road was a menace due to the several hundred food joints either side on the 125km of roads leading to accidents and jams and stress. Hopefully with the new expressway coming up, it should become a smoother and pleasant drive. Fingers crossed!

Any idea when the completion timelines are? I’ve not taken that road for almost 5-6 years now. Found it too stressful on Sunday evening returns to Bangalore. Kanakpura road is slowly turning out to be similar these days. Traffic immensely slows down on Sunday evenings, once you cross Harohalli on the return leg to Bangalore.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 26th September 2021 at 12:33. Reason: Grammar
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 15:00   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

Any idea when the completion timelines are?
Per Mysore MP, it should be ready by next Dasara (Oct 2022). It'd be awesome if they can stick to this deadline.
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 16:25   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea when the completion timelines are? I’ve not taken that road for almost 5-6 years now. Found it too stressful on Sunday evening returns to Bangalore. Kanakpura road is slowly turning out to be similar these days. Traffic immensely slows down on Sunday evenings, once you cross Harohalli on the return leg to Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Per Mysore MP, it should be ready by next Dasara (Oct 2022). It'd be awesome if they can stick to this deadline.
Officially it is Oct 2022. Definitely large parts will be functional by then. But a 100% completion in my view would go into 2023. There is a lot of focus on this now. And I understand all land acquisition is complete. So maybe the 2022 deadline may happen.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 09:25   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Blr-Mys road was a menace due to the several hundred food joints either side on the 125km of roads leading to accidents and jams and stress.
Absolutely!

If it was just the food joints it wouldn't be an issue but the watchmen at these places jump out on the side of the road and distract you by waving people in. At night they even use coloured light sticks. Some restaurants have gotten obviously illegal cuts in the divider made so cars can turn into their place. People stop suddenly without looking what's behind them because the family inside the car suddenly decides they have to stop there. Popular places will see idiots parking right on the highway because the restaurant parking is full.

I'm looking forward to a road that bypasses all this! More than anything else, that road needs to bypass all the towns on the way like Bidadi, Ramanagara, Mandya. Glad to hear that is the alignment. I'm sure the locals will also be happy, speeding Bangalore vehicles through their towns are a menace. I believe the government has provided decent compensation to the landowners who lost land for the highway. While speaking with one local farmer about 10 km after Bidadi more than 2 years ago, he mentioned that he had already received the money and had constructed a new home already. This was a year before the road works had fully reached that stretch.

Last edited by am1m : 27th September 2021 at 09:36.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 09:51   #1095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
. Starts after NICE, goes elevated for some distance, toll booth at Kumbalgodu, bypasses Bidadi (new road), aligns with current highway till Ramanagara , then a big Greenfield road that bypasses both Ramanagara and Channapatna, aligns to current highway again, then takes off as a bypass/flyover over Maddur.. aligns on highway till Mandya , bypasses Mandya , then as I understood(as no work was happening), would align on the existing highway, bypass Srirangapatna and the aligns on the highway again till Columbia Asia. Some small stretches are open and we can clearly see the 3+3 lane and 2+2 lane service road alignment.
You can drive through this new road although not officially open (use a vehicle with high GC). It is very scenic and heartbreaking at the same time.

A necessary development considering the positioning of the two cities but in my opinion the widening of existing bangalore - mysore road would have caused less trouble for the farmers and environment alike.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks