Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 19:52   #1096
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
This is very helpful and comprehensive information @architect . I did not know that there is a CoA and they have a registry etc.
The Council of Architects guidelines look great on paper, but I don't think many small/medium or for that matter well established firms sized firms follow it to the letter, and neither does the client.

Most people building a house want a single point entity who is responsible for design and execution which means the architect ends up being associated with the project for the entire duration, which is anywhere from 12-15 months, and hence the fees is also usually spread out for the duration of the project.

IMHO, a fee structure based on cost per sft is the fairest option for both client and architect.
Old 19th June 2020, 01:09   #1097
BHPian

A quick question to the architects or the subject matter experts. For 5 member family , would the plot size of 40x50 be enough ? I am wondering after leaving the required setbacks , would it be enough to build specious 3bhk, a small but not too small front garden and parking for 2 cars. Thanks!
Old 19th June 2020, 06:28   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
A quick question to the architects or the subject matter experts. For 5 member family , would the plot size of 40x50 be enough ? I am wondering after leaving the required setbacks , would it be enough to build specious 3bhk, a small but not too small front garden and parking for 2 cars. Thanks!
It will need a bit of creative designing to get large spaces, but should be possible if you are OK with a multi level house.

In Bangalore the standard setbacks are 12% front and 8% back of the depth of the site. Sides are 8% of the width of the site, and we are allowed to build stilt parking) + 3 floors restricted to a max height of 11.5m. I assume Pune will be something similar.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 06:54   #1099
BHPian

Quote:

Depends on how big the house you want and also the kind of budget you have in mind. Could be innovative in the choice of materials used and yet try cut down the costs. I have the exact plot size of 40 X 45 and with limited set backs still have the total footage of 5300 sq ft including 2 car parking, a small rental house and a duplex comprising of 3 floors within my house including a couple of double height ceilings for a family size of 5.

To maximize the space and design elements in mind, you may have to forego the garden space in the front and take the garden inside the house ., i,e have lot of potted plants inside the house itself. I have close to about 200 plants inside my house. You could also plan fro some natural sky-lighting thereby reducing your load on the electricity..
mjkaushal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 11:13   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the dimensions are in meters then that gives 2000 square meters enough for your needs.
If it is in feet then you have 2000 square feet too small for your requirements.

Assuming that the dimensions are in meters
. Front offset (garden) = 5m
. Side offsets = 3m per side
. Rear offset = 3m

Then you have an area of 34m x 42m 0r 15,370 square feet

In this case you can increase the front garden to 10m and have plenty of space left for the house.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 11:14   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
It will need a bit of creative designing to get large spaces, but should be possible if you are OK with a multi level house.

In Bangalore the standard setbacks are 12% front and 8% back of the depth of the site. Sides are 8% of the width of the site, and we are allowed to build stilt parking) + 3 floors restricted to a max height of 11.5m. I assume Pune will be something similar.
I think we have the similar setback requirements. from the accessibility point of view, I would prefer G+1 or max G+2. Based on my own experience and the inputs from the forum members on the other thread, elderly folks find it very difficult to access 2nd floor and so it doesn't get used that much.

I am considering the two plot sizes , 40x50 and 40x60.

The reason I asked about 40x50 plot is because there are couple of positive points with this plot. First, its a east facing corner plot facing 40ft road and the distance between this plot and the plot in the front is 100+ft including the road width. So there is a good amount of distance in the front east side. The second advantage is there is approx. 16000 sqft of community park just beside this plot on the south side. Just after the compound wall. Neighboring plots are on the north and west side.

While reading on the internet, it seems 40x60 is preferred or ideal for bungalow construction. hence the dilemma.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:21   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
I have the exact plot size of 40 X 45 and with limited set backs still have the total footage of 5300 sq ft including 2 car parking, a small rental house and a duplex comprising of 3 floors within my house including a couple of double height ceilings for a family size of 5.

I have close to about 200 plants inside my house.
Wow, the utilization of the space is amazing , you have literally squeezed the every inch of it. Also, the 200 plants inside the house.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 11:36   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the dimensions are in meters then that gives 2000 square meters enough for your needs.
If it is in feet then you have 2000 square feet too small for your requirements.

Assuming that the dimensions are in meters
. Front offset (garden) = 5m
. Side offsets = 3m per side
. Rear offset = 3m

Then you have an area of 34m x 42m 0r 15,370 square feet

In this case you can increase the front garden to 10m and have plenty of space left for the house.
I wish the dimensions were in meters but no its a 222 sqyd or 40ftx50ft plot.
Old 19th June 2020, 13:47   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
a duplex comprising of 3 floors.
Doesn't a duplex mean two storied?

Quote:
The reason I asked about 40x50 plot is because there are couple of positive points with this plot. First, its a east facing corner plot facing 40ft road and the distance between this plot and the plot in the front is 100+ft including the road width. So there is a good amount of distance in the front east side. The second advantage is there is approx. 16000 sqft of community park just beside this plot on the south side. Just after the compound wall. Neighboring plots are on the north and west side.

While reading on the internet, it seems 40x60 is preferred or ideal for bungalow construction. hence the dilemma.
Looks like you are you are sold on this plot. There is no right or wrong size. You can work with a good architect to design what you like with the available space. There will be compromises but at the end of the day, it is your call.

Is the community park right next to the plot? I personally would stay away from it due to the disturbances it can cause. There could be be events and loudspeakers disturbing you at a time when you might be looking for some peace and quiet. And it not always guaranteed that the park will remain one in the long term. Here in Bangalore, I have seen parks being turned into municipal dumping grounds
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:51   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
The plot size is good enough for your requirements barring two things. Your definition of spacious and budget.

As this is a corner plot, you're in a luck as one side can be used as garage while the other side used a main entrance (with interconnections between the two if you desire).

Spacious Lawn garden is difficult and small lawn garden looks very bad. You can use the idea of potted garden in the front + pebble court with waterfall inside the house. If you construct a duplex on ground + 1st floor, you can get close to 1400 sqft on 1st floor(excluding staircase, set back etc). You can plan for 1 Hall, kitchen cum dining area,Room and bath on ground floor. 1st floor can have 3 bedrooms. Do note that you'll lose some space in 1st floor due to internal stairs + double height ceiling.

Do allocate some space for lift. Might be useful in future.

Typical room sizes considered as above average are 150sqft-180sqft. Square shaped areas tend to look smaller than rectangular ones for the same area.

Last edited by akhil_007 : 19th June 2020 at 16:55.
akhil_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:23   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is the community park right next to the plot? I personally would stay away from it due to the disturbances it can cause. There could be be events and loudspeakers disturbing you at a time when you might be looking for some peace and quiet. And it not always guaranteed that the park will remain one in the long term. Here in Bangalore, I have seen parks being turned into municipal dumping grounds
Actually, the community park is private and inside the gated community. So its upkeep and the placement is almost guaranteed. Hence I am leaning towards 40x50 even though its somewhat smaller than other available plots which are 40x60 onwards.
Old 19th June 2020, 18:27   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
The plot size is good enough for your requirements barring two things. Your definition of spacious and budget.
A big thank you to BHPian @keroo1099 who sent me the house plan for 40x50 and now I can see and as you mentioned the plot size is good enough.
hondafanboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 20:53   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone provide pointers for people doing stained concrete polish flooring in Bangalore ? Thinking of getting done in few common areas such as parking/basement

Like these

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/163649.jpg

https://bnc.lt/a/key_live_eifqPbvhIR...65336080330%2F
Old 20th June 2020, 06:18   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Can anyone provide pointers for people doing stained concrete polish flooring in Bangalore ? Thinking of getting done in few common areas such as parking/basement
I don't know if these guys are still in business

http://http://iconenterprises.in/index.php
Old 20th June 2020, 09:35   #1110
BHPian

[quote=Jaguar;4827047]Doesn't a duplex mean two storied?

I was thinking that duplex means 2 houses in one building .. irrespective of the floors , may be my thinking is wrong

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks