Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 20:47   #3376
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikc View Post
Called them today, but they just do it from Mumbai for pet relocation within India. They could not guarantee the hotels bookings also. Now I am in kind of soup.

Won't let Penny (my sweet Golden) stay in a Bangalore kennel for 3 weeks. I have to take her along with us. I may have to beg for over night stays along the way.

All I need is name and locations of hotels in Hyderabad, Vijaywada (possible halt point instead of Hyderabad), Vizag and Bhubaneshwar where I can stay with my pet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
When do you intend to travel? I can check & let you know about any suitable place for stay at Hyderabad. Bhubaneshwar you can consider staying in Hotel Venus Inn at Bapuji Nagar. The hotel will only meet your expectations to the extent of accommodation & Penny has to be confined to the room (all other requirements listed in your post is ruled out). You've have to call them & confirm the booking in advance.

FYI, The hotel is not officially classified as pet-friendly but they obliged & allowed our Lab(Bruno) to stay with us in the room on 15 Dec & 30 Dec last year during our trip from Hyderabad to Darjeeling. I also managed an accommodation through a friend's source who convinced the Hotel Management in Kolkata to allow Bruno along with us. we didn't face any issues since it was only night stays & we continued travelling to our destination.

There were no extra charges levied, we carried canned food to suffice for the entire trip.
Old 27th September 2013, 11:58   #3377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
When do you intend to travel? I can check & let you know about any suitable place for stay at Hyderabad. Bhubaneshwar you can consider staying in Hotel Venus Inn at Bapuji Nagar. The hotel will only meet your expectations to the extent of accommodation & Penny has to be confined to the room (all other requirements listed in your post is ruled out). You've have to call them & confirm the booking in advance.

FYI, The hotel is not officially classified as pet-friendly but they obliged & allowed our Lab(Bruno) to stay with us in the room on 15 Dec & 30 Dec last year during our trip from Hyderabad to Darjeeling. I also managed an accommodation through a friend's source who convinced the Hotel Management in Kolkata to allow Bruno along with us. we didn't face any issues since it was only night stays & we continued travelling to our destination.

There were no extra charges levied, we carried canned food to suffice for the entire trip.
Thanks a ton for your support Redeemer8, my plan is to the drive over the last week of December or first week of January. In case, it is a rush hour i can postpone it also. I know its a long time from now, but I wanted to make sure Penny's accommodation before we start.

All of my stays will be overnight only, I will carry food, enough number of bed sheets and pillows so that the hotel people can be absolutely sure that nothing of that short gets damaged. Also I will carry cleaning material for all poops and stuff. In case of an accidental poop or something I can pay extra to the hotel to do the cleaning.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:07   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikc View Post
Thanks a ton for your support Redeemer8, my plan is to the drive over the last week of December or first week of January. In case, it is a rush hour i can postpone it also. I know its a long time from now, but I wanted to make sure Penny's accommodation before we start.

All of my stays will be overnight only, I will carry food, enough number of bed sheets and pillows so that the hotel people can be absolutely sure that nothing of that short gets damaged. Also I will carry cleaning material for all poops and stuff. In case of an accidental poop or something I can pay extra to the hotel to do the cleaning.
You're welcome samikc !! I can understand your dilemma since I'm also experiencing the same with Bruno. Pl do let me know your proposed route / travel plan, I'll definitely get you accommodation at Hyderabad. Meanwhile, check with the Hotel Venus Inn at Bhubaneswar over phone & inform them your proposed visit with tentative dates.

The only issue now is finding an accommodation in Vizag, last time I had to stay at my colleague's house but can't keep bothering him every year. I'm also frantically searching for a suitable place since long now.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:03   #3379
Team-BHP Support

My pet is exactly the same described here. And this is a wonderful compilation. Have a look here
Old 6th October 2013, 14:11   #3380
BHPian

Team, need some advice here.

Yesterday evening, we had the pest-control done at our house. After that - Sony - my pet cat was normal in her own routine till I went to bed.

But since today morning, she is looking weak and sick. She is lying down since morning and not having her food (Whiskas dry-food) at all. I even tried to force-feed her but she is spitting the food out.

Usually she wakes me up around 4-5am in the morning for her food. Though the food will always be there in her plate, she will wake me up so that I top-it up with some fresh ones and I have to be around while she eats. But today, I did not receive the wake-up call either.

The doc suggested over phone to give Sony a day's rest and see tomorrow.

Have any of you experienced this? I am not sure if her sickness because of the pest-control thing. But, there was nothing unusual about our routine except for this one.

P.S: I have taken the annual contract for the pest-control (~Rs.3K) and yesterday's was the first one.

Last edited by callvvijay : 6th October 2013 at 14:13.
Old 6th October 2013, 14:50   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Team, need some advice here.

Yesterday evening, we had the pest-control done at our house. After that - Sony - my pet cat was normal in her own routine till I went to bed.

But since today morning, she is looking weak and sick. She is lying down since morning and not having her food (Whiskas dry-food) at all. I even tried to force-feed her but she is spitting the food out.

Usually she wakes me up around 4-5am in the morning for her food. Though the food will always be there in her plate, she will wake me up so that I top-it up with some fresh ones and I have to be around while she eats. But today, I did not receive the wake-up call either.

The doc suggested over phone to give Sony a day's rest and see tomorrow.

Have any of you experienced this? I am not sure if her sickness because of the pest-control thing. But, there was nothing unusual about our routine except for this one.

P.S: I have taken the annual contract for the pest-control (~Rs.3K) and yesterday's was the first one.
What kind of pest control AMC have you opted for? The chemicals used are generally not harmful to humans or animals since the dosage is specific to pests only. However, you can double check this with the pest control company for confirmation.

It is recommended to keep the pets away while the treatment is carried out & most importantly any food items/ water etc is to be ensured are stored / covered properly. I think you should refrain completely from leaving food & water open overnight in the plate/bowl.

Pour the fresh food & water in the morning after cleaning the utensils & quantity of food especially needs to be restricted to the intake only.

Check for any changes in the motions & regular habits, activity, in case of upset stomach cats tend to eat grass to puke & relieve themselves if left out in the open. you can try feeding something alternatively which she likes but don't force feed her & if issue persists consult the vet.
Old 6th October 2013, 16:28   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
What kind of pest control AMC have you opted for? The chemicals used are generally not harmful to humans or animals since the dosage is specific to pests only. However, you can double check this with the pest control company for confirmation.

It is recommended to keep the pets away while the treatment is carried out & most importantly any food items/ water etc is to be ensured are stored / covered properly. I think you should refrain completely from leaving food & water open overnight in the plate/bowl.

Pour the fresh food & water in the morning after cleaning the utensils & quantity of food especially needs to be restricted to the intake only.

Check for any changes in the motions & regular habits, activity, in case of upset stomach cats tend to eat grass to puke & relieve themselves if left out in the open. you can try feeding something alternatively which she likes but don't force feed her & if issue persists consult the vet.
Thanks for the reply Redeemer. My cat was not present at home when the pest control was done. She is not a "always-at-home" cat. She roams around freely in the neighboring houses's garden (maintains a small radius). She is generally afraid of strangers/strange-sounds that she runs out of the house, roams around and comes back. Yesterday, after roaming around, she came back only half-an-hour after the pest-control was done.

Regarding the chemical used, it was 'K-Othrine'. I could not find any effect of this chemical on cats in the internet. But, as you said, it was totally odorless (at least for we, humans. not sure how Sony felt).

In the meantime, checked with my vet too over phone. She also suggests that it might not be because of the chemical.

I'm all alone at home as my parents have gone abroad and wife to her place with our new-born. So, it is becoming mandatory to keep some food in Sony's plate and a mug of water. However, I make it a point to change them regularly.
Old 6th October 2013, 16:42   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
e'. I could not find any effect of this chemical on cats in the internet.y.
Take a look at the following

http://www.bayeres.co.za/?option=3&i...=67&com_task=1

http://m.petmd.com/cat/conditions/ne...hroid_toxicity

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/pyrethrin/
Old 6th October 2013, 16:58   #3384
Distinguished - BHPian

pyrethrins are commonly used in insect treatments for dogs, and the use of the same on cats has resulted in deaths. It seems these substances are very poisonous to cats.

It is commonly used also as an insecticide/repellant for humans in treatment of clothes, sleeping nets, etc. I would actually like to get some to spray on doors, door screens, etc, as it is the usual way that mosquitoes get into our house, sitting on the outside, and flying in when the door or screen is opened. I would, however, take great care not to use it anywhere where the cat is likely to go.
Old 6th October 2013, 17:24   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
My cat was not present at home when the pest control was done.
Regarding the chemical used, it was 'K-Othrine'. I could not find any effect of this chemical on cats in the internet.
callvvijay - I would suggest you to keep an eye on her activities today & if she isn't back to normal by tomorrow morning would suggest you to take her to the vet for checkup. Hope she's fine by t'row.
Old 6th October 2013, 18:28   #3386
Senior - BHPian

The cat may have licked and ingested some chemicals sprayed. As suggested wait for a day and then if the cat is still sick give her antidode after consulting the Vet.
Old 6th October 2013, 18:50   #3387
Distinguished - BHPian

If there is a possibility of chemical ingestion, I wouldn't wait. Better go straight to the vet.

Do remember to take container plus any other information you have.
Old 13th October 2013, 19:02   #3388
BHPian

Travelling to USA with a Pet Cat

Dear Friends,

My uncle in Boston would like to bring the pet Cat from India. What are the formalities we need to check before travel.

I have gathered the following Info:

1. Pet animals are allowed only for Business/ First class passengers.
2. To avoid the transit issues the airline recommends to use a direct flight from the origin to destination.

Anybody has travelled to US with pets. Kindly advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th October 2013, 19:21   #3389
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling to USA with a Pet Cat

This is the policy on Jet Airways:

Policy for Carriage of Live animals

Pet animals may be carried on Jet Airways flights as Guest baggage / Accompanied Baggage or shipped as Cargo.

Pet booked as Manifest Cargo

In this case it is not necessary for the pet to be booked on the same flight as the owner. The booking is done via Jet Airways cargo.

In both the above cases, the pet will travel in the cargo hold of the aircraft itself.

Pet booked as Guest Baggage / Accompanied Baggage / Excess Baggage

Pets booked as accompanied or checked baggage are transported in the cargo hold of the aircraft in a regulations-approved pet container. Booking for pet as guest baggage is to be done by contacting Jet Airways reservations. In this case, the dog or cat is booked on your (pet owner) booking itself.

Jet Airways policy with respect to Carriage of animals:

Domestic flights within India (except ATR-operated flights) will carry domesticated dogs, cats, birds and rabbits.

International flights (except flights to / from UK) will accept domesticated dogs and cats only.

Note: Some countries prohibit import of certain aggressive breeds of dogs, hybrid dogs / cats. These breeds will not be acceptable on Jet Airways to those countries with particular breed prohibitions.
Females with suckling young and unweaned puppies / kittens will not be accepted.
Weaned puppies / kittens under 8 weeks will not be accepted.
Pregnant animals will not be accepted.

Kindly book your pet dog or cat at least 72 hours in advance as accompanied baggage on your ticket on our international flights. Accepted on flights operated by Boeing or Airbus aircraft only. Not accepted on ATR-operated flights.

Live animals will be carried in the cargo hold only, cannot be carried in the cabin. (Note: Service animals accompanying a disabled guest in the passenger cabin do not fall under this category.)

One guest can carry a maximum of 3 live animals as Accompanied Baggage, subject to all the 3 crates sizes fitting in the hold of the aircraft.
No airline liability in case of injury / death

Dogs / Cats must be a minimum of 8 weeks of age for domestic air travel in India or minimum of 4 months old for International flights.

Breeds of dogs and cats forbidden for carriage:

i. Jet Airways will not accept the following breeds of dogs and cats, including snub nosed, as these animals variably, are susceptible to increased risk of heat stroke (when exposed to stress or temperatures above 21C), breathing difficulties or increased travel stress:

All snub-nosed dog breeds and their cross-breeds, including:

Boxers
Bulldogs (all varieties)
Mastiffs (all varieties)
Spaniels (some varieties)
Terriers (all varieties)
Mastiffs (all varieties)
Akita
Brussels Griffin (Petite Brabancon)
Chow Chow
Dogo Argentino
Fila Brazillero & their crosses
Japanese Chin (Chin, Japanese Spaniel, Japanese Pug)
Lhasa Apso
Pekinese
Pit Bull
Pugs
Rottweiler
Shar Pei
Shih Tzu
Tosa

The following cat breeds and their cross-breeds:

Burmese
Exotic
Himalayan
Persian

ii. Dogs / Cats must be a minimum of 8 weeks for Domestic or 4 months for International flights

iii. Animals must not be pregnant

Container requirements:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-aaapets_crates_img.jpg
The container shown in the image should be utilized in carriage of animals.

All cages must meet the specifications outlined in the IATA Live Animal Regulations. Ensure that the container meets these requirements prior to the day of travel.

One of the most essential things to ensure the safety of your pet is the pet crate, designed to IATA specifications. All crates must meet the specifications outlined in the IATA Live Animal Regulations. It is for you to ensure that the container meets these requirements prior to the day of travel. Always ensure that the crate is large enough for your pet to sit, stand and turn around very comfortably. This means an excess space of at least 3”on all sides and top of the crate too measured with your pet is standing inside!

Basic crate requirements:

Bowls for food and water attached to the door of the crate
Funnel & pipe system, so that the airline can add water in the bowl without having to open the crate door

Absorbent pad / mat at the bottom of the crate
Plastic ties to seal the door of the crate on all four ends

One extra feeding for your dog (dry cat / dog) in a zip lock bag attached to the top of the crate in case of flight delay

Instruction on the crate with pet’s name, photo, basic nature and feeding instructions

24-hours emergency contact of pet owner

Preferable crate with ventilation on all four sides

Avoid crates with top ventilation and openings at the top of the crates

Crates with only clamp locking to be avoided

For more info on choosing the right crate for your pet contact www.furryflyers.com

Alternatively portable kennels or a small container may be accepted provided the construction and ventilation is considered adequate and it meets all size restrictions and general criteria.

An animal and/or container will not be accepted when:

The container is not sufficiently sturdy or is in disrepair and the animal is likely to escape.
The container or animal is unclean.
The animal appears diseased.
The animal is unduly savage.
The container could cause injury or suffering to the animal.
The container fails to meet the IATA regulations stipulating that the animal must be able to:
Stand up straight;
Lie down without being cramped; and
Turn around within the crate/kennel.

Charging Excess Baggage:

International:
The weight of the pet along with the container is taken into consideration when charging excess baggage
Weight Concept: The weight of the pet plus container is charged for, whether within the Free Baggage Allowance or not.
Piece Concept: The container inclusive of the pet is considered as an additional piece, irrespective of the number of pieces of baggage the guest has. Excess baggage is charged twice the normal excess baggage charges for a piece. If also overweight or oversized, additional excess baggage charges will apply.
Within India:
Effective July 9, 2012, Jet Airways and JetKonnect will levy a flat fee of INR 5000 per container for carriage of pets on domestic journeys within India. This fee will not apply to Service Animal accompanying a disabled guest.

International Customs and Quarantine Requirements:

It is the responsibility of the guest to check and comply with all local regulations at the departure airport, transfer point (if any) and destination. This includes (but is not limited to) Customs, Quarantine and Health Regulations, Quarantine stay fees / reservations, Pet Travel Schemes, e-tagging / micro-chipping, Import / Export formalities, Landing Permits, Transshipment permits, vaccinations, health inspections, Inspection fees, certificates, animal passports, tests and treatments, restrictions on the breed / number of pets that can be imported and foodstuff import/export regulations if carrying food for the animal.
The responsibility of clearing the animal through Customs and Quarantine at the destination will lie with the guest

Jet Airways cannot accept pets on flights into /from UK
For international flights into India, pets can only be sent to the four metros of Mumbai / Delhi / Kolkata & Chennai where animal quarantine officers are present. In case of live animals to other destinations, the guest / shipper must clear Customs and Quarantine formalities at the above-mentioned stations and rebook on the onward domestic leg.
The guest must inform Jet Airways at least 48 hours in advance to enable us to inform the Animal Quarantine officer at destination. On receipt of the information, the staff at the destination must be informed of the flight details. The staff will then inform the Quarantine officer at the station.

Documentation required for live animal import into India:
NOC (Import Permit)
Vaccination records
Govt. Health certificate
India protocol (Annex II)
Fitness certificate from Vet doctor.

Note: All documents must be in English.

For consultancy on documentation required and to obtain the NOC in India, kindly contact:
Furry Flyers (Pet relocation worldwide)
+ 91 22 4295 5520 / 21 /22

Basic documentation required for live animal export out of India:

Health certificate from authorized agency at origin
Vaccination record with all vaccinations up to date (as per the destination country rule)
All other documentation as per destination country.
For Bahrain, the documents, including the up-to-date Immunization report must be faxed to Mr. Majid Alwasifi, fax number +00973-17645218 for approval, along with the guest's contact details and the Jet Airways & Bahrain Office contact details.

Please click on the relevant form to download them:

Declaration Form For Acceptance Of Pets
Veterinary Certificate For Import Of Dogs Into India
Veterinary Certificate For Import Of Cats Into India

Clearance Procedure at Destination for international flights:

The quarantine officer will inspect the animal and verify its health. Fees may apply for some countries
Based on the physical condition of the animal and the health certificate, a 'No objection for import' will be issued by quarantine officer
Based on the No Objection and other supporting documents required by the local Customs, the pet will be cleared through Customs and handed over to the guest
Pets that do not clear requirements may be shipped back to the country of origin, vaccinated, quarantined or destroyed

Source: http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Prod...thAnimals.aspx

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 13th October 2013 at 19:30.
Old 13th October 2013, 19:42   #3390
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

With all this what exactly is the quarantine law in the US? I know it is 6 months for dogs etc for the UK, Australia and NZ.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th October 2013 at 19:45. Reason: Removed the off-topic portion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks