Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 12:28   #3331
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
This may have been answered many a times, but again asking since it is very specific. Say when we need to clean the aquarium and fill with fresh water from the tap. Say it is a winter and the water from the tap would be cold.
Can the fish survive this cold water?
Can we use the water from our water filters which are at room temperature?
Which water is the best for aquariums. Here in Hyderabad, we get manjeera and normal bore water.
I think there are certain fishes that are more sensitive to cold temperatures than the others (e.g. Ghost fishes). There are water heaters available for aquariums which can be set to maintain the water at particular temperatures.
I have fishes (sharks/ parrots/ paku piranhas/ oscars/ alligator gar/ suckers) which have survived cold temperatures for over 3 yrs now without any problems. Maybe you could decide depending on what fishes you have in your tank.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:56   #3332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
You can also get a temperature sticker which can be pasted outside the tank which will give you an idea of how hot or cold the water is.

Secondly, I do not use bore water for my aquarium and I use the water from my water filters. Havent had a problem with my fishes with the water change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
I have fishes (sharks/ parrots/ paku piranhas/ oscars/ alligator gar/ suckers) which have survived cold temperatures for over 3 yrs now without any problems. Maybe you could decide depending on what fishes you have in your tank.
Thanks for the valuable info. This is what happened. One of my relative gifted me a pair of gold fish with the glass bowl. I knew that this isn't the right home for the gold fishes, and to my horror one kissed death the very next day and the next in another 2 days. Not much I couldn't do, because it came as a gift. I did fill up the bowl with tap water and it was a bit cold, not sure what was the temperature. So thought that might be the reason of their death, or the fish themselves came to me at their last days.

Are there any kind of fishes which can survive in this glass bowl. I believe the fighter can survive, because I had one in the 90's which survived for almost more than 6 months in the old Horlicks bottle. I have the fish food and small stones to.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:02   #3333
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the valuable info. This is what happened. One of my relative gifted me a pair of gold fish with the glass bowl. I knew that this isn't the right home for the gold fishes, and to my horror one kissed death the very next day and the next in another 2 days. Not much I couldn't do, because it came as a gift. I did fill up the bowl with tap water and it was a bit cold, not sure what was the temperature. So thought that might be the reason of their death, or the fish themselves came to me at their last days.

Are there any kind of fishes which can survive in this glass bowl. I believe the fighter can survive, because I had one in the 90's which survived for almost more than 6 months in the old Horlicks bottle. I have the fish food and small stones to.
Gold fishes I have had before and I think they are quite delicate and sensitive to any change in the environment. From personal experience Sharks have been the most hardy and are usually the last to be affected by any change, though they are not fishes to be kept in bowls.

I have a chinese paradise which is still surviving for close to 2 years in a bowl. I had a small red lobster too in a bowl for almost a year but it unfortunately died suddenly a few days back due to some unkown circumstances.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:07   #3334
BHPian

Quote:
I have a chinese paradise which is still surviving for close to 2 years in a bowl.
I came to know of the non-relation with the gold fish and glass bowl only from TBhp. Damage done is done.
Glad the Chinese paradise is still surviving. Not sure whether I can get these in Hyderabad. Any local names. Did a google and can see many kind of fishes termed as Chinese paradise. Can you point me to the right one.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:13   #3335
BHPian

Quote:

Actually, you should never do a full water change. You should do partial water changes in 7-10 days. What happens if you do a full water change is that the good bacteria which comes up at the bottom of the tank all gets flushed out and the fish are put into a completely new eco-system, which obviously is not very good for them. Its like going from the Sahara to the Himalayas in a couple of hours. A partial water change is changing about 10-15 percent once in 10 days. This percentage drops if your tank is smaller.

So in the case of adding water which is colder, introduce it slowly, over a span of 5 to 10 days depending on the size of the aquarium. If you have already removed the fish from their aquarium, at least try and retain the original water of the aquarium and use as much of that as you can. If all the water you retain fills up only half the aquarium, get water out of the tap, let it stand in the bucket for at least 6 hours or so and then slowly start putting the water into the aquarium from the bucket. Absolutely stop if you see a drop in the water temperature by even a couple of degrees and continue adding when the water temperature has stabilized.

As regards the goldfish in a bowl, they can comfortably survive if you follow the simple principles I stated above. Dont cause major changes to their environment.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:14   #3336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Well, she's not really my pet, but she's a friend who comes to greet me without fail.
Cute, Fury little feline. Very photogenic too. I too had a St. bernard as a pal who was not my pet but when ever we met it was a lot of love. His name was suzo. He was lucky masacot too as during my college exams when ever i saw him and played with him my exam that day would go very well.

AD
Old 19th August 2013, 16:18   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
I came to know of the non-relation with the gold fish and glass bowl only from TBhp. Damage done is done.
Glad the Chinese paradise is still surviving. Not sure whether I can get these in Hyderabad. Any local names. Did a google and can see many kind of fishes termed as Chinese paradise. Can you point me to the right one.
Well I got them from a local shop here in Mumbai and they also refferred to it as "Paradise Fish". Not sure what they would be calling it there, maybe someone from Hyderabad could comment.
You are right, I can see a lot of results on google for paradise fish. I'll try and get a close up photograph of my fish for you if it helps.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:24   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Actually, you should never do a full water change. You should do partial water changes in 7-10 days. What happens if you do a full water change is that the good bacteria which comes up at the bottom of the tank all gets flushed out and the fish are put into a completely new eco-system, which obviously is not very good for them. Its like going from the Sahara to the Himalayas in a couple of hours. A partial water change is changing about 10-15 percent once in 10 days. This percentage drops if your tank is smaller.

As regards the goldfish in a bowl, they can comfortably survive if you follow the simple principles I stated above. Dont cause major changes to their environment.
Much needed info pal. This might be the reason for the goldies to get sudden death. How ignorant I am.

The main reason I changed the whole water is, goldies excrete a lot and the water color changed from clear to haze. Thought this might contaminate and cleared the water, cleaned the stones and let the goldies in.

Quote:
Well I got them from a local shop here in Mumbai and they also refferred to it as "Paradise Fish". Not sure what they would be calling it there, maybe someone from Hyderabad could comment.
You are right, I can see a lot of results on google for paradise fish. I'll try and get a close up photograph of my fish for you if it helps.
Will keep the name in mind. If you can post a snap, I can refer to it and get one and adore my glass bowl.

Will this co-exist with the goldies? I am now very much confident that I can grow these goldies with whiteknights advice.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:46   #3339
BHPian

Quote:
Will this co-exist with the goldies? I am now very much confident that I can grow these goldies with whiteknights advice.
Yes as whiteknight has adviced, the gold fishes would definitly live long in you bowl now.
Paradise fishes, I believe fall into the aggressive category of fishes so not really sure how they would gel with goldfish since I even haven't kept them together myself. This one has been living alone in the bowl so far and seems to be happy being the king of his bowl.
You could also check with the aquarium shop about the compatibility between these fishes.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:03   #3340
BHPian

Quote:
Yes as whiteknight has adviced, the gold fishes would definitly live long in you bowl now.
Paradise fishes, I believe fall into the aggressive category of fishes so not really sure how they would gel with goldfish since I even haven't kept them together myself. This one has been living alone in the bowl so far and seems to be happy being the king of his bowl.
Sure pal. Will look at both the species and select the one which is more beautiful. Eagerly waiting for your snap.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:06   #3341
BHPian

New Addition at home
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_8263.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_8251.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_8247.jpg  

Old 19th August 2013, 17:44   #3342
BHPian

Quote:
Sure pal. Will look at both the species and select the one which is more beautiful. Eagerly waiting for your snap.
Just discovered that I have already posted snaps of the aquarium/ bowls/ pets before. If you check there is a close up of the paradise in one of them...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2717319
Old 19th August 2013, 17:53   #3343
BHPian

Quote:
Just discovered that I have already posted snaps of the aquarium/ bowls/ pets before. If you check there is a close up of the paradise in one of them...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2717319
Whoa!!! You have some deadly collections pal. Hats off!!!
BTW, there are 2 fishes seen in the glass bowl. One in pinkish red and the other one a bit colorless. Which one is the Paradise?

Is the pinkish red a Fighter ?
Old 19th August 2013, 17:59   #3344
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa!!! You have some deadly collections pal. Hats off!!!
BTW, there are 2 fishes seen in the glass bowl. One in pinkish red and the other one a bit colorless. Which one is the Paradise?

Is the pinkish red a Fighter ?
Thanks... My wife and I were keen on keeping an aquarium so we planned it accordingly. She is the one who usually does the maintenance and research!!

Yes, you are abosultely right, that pinkish fish is indeed a fighter.

Below are some more pics (my white mice which died 3 months ago after being with us for almost 3 yrs and my dogs) -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2703155
Old 19th August 2013, 18:19   #3345
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks... My wife and I were keen on keeping an aquarium so we planned it accordingly. She is the one who usually does the maintenance and research!!

Yes, you are abosultely right, that pinkish fish is indeed a fighter.

Below are some more pics (my white mice which died 3 months ago after being with us for almost 3 yrs and my dogs) -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2703155
Like some has mentioned, your house is indeed like a mini zoo. Pampering and maintaining all those wonderful species is quite a tedious task and no wonder it is being taken care by your wife.

If the colorless fish is the paradise, I will stick to the fighter. She is gorgeous in that color and I always liked them since it was my very first fish. And no wonder I cried a lot when she died.

Will be bugging you more on my needs and I will stick to the PM, do not want to spam this thread by my naïve questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks