Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 23:17   #2431
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Feels bad to have hit a dog while driving in the ECR yesterday. Was driving at a sedate speed of 60-70kmph on the way back home at around 9pm after a office function in one of the beach resorts in ECR while a dog came all of a sudden out of nowhere. Couldn't help but to hit it so badly that my bumper had a very big dent.

Immediately went back and checked on the dog. It had died already and was laying in the road. Not sure if it was the single impact of my car or if it had got hit immediately by the buses/cars that came in the opposite direction after getting hit by my car. Whatever, having 3 kittens at home, I felt so bad to have killed this dog.
Old 5th December 2011, 09:36   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I read that boiled chicken flesh is ok to feed your dog but boiled bones are deadly.

I have been feeding my dog with only chicken (Bones+flesh) from as long as I can remember and he has not faced any issue "touchwood".

Also, are all German shepherd owners noticing hair loss in their pet (being winter)? My dog is shedding hair, so just wanted to know if this is normal. I give him a nice bath every weekend and comb his hair thoroughly after bath, but his hair all over the house, my maid is going bonkers.
Go slow on combing his hair. If you notice clumps of hair sticking to your large toothed comb, stop combing the dog. May be the dog needs more iron. My dogs rarely have this issue and I ( Ahem - a little confession is in order here) give them Dexorange. It always seems to help.
Old 5th December 2011, 09:41   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read that boiled chicken flesh is ok to feed your dog but boiled bones are deadly.

I have been feeding my dog with only chicken (Bones+flesh) from as long as I can remember and he has not faced any issue "touchwood".

Also, are all German shepherd owners noticing hair loss in their pet (being winter)? My dog is shedding hair, so just wanted to know if this is normal. I give him a nice bath every weekend and comb his hair thoroughly after bath, but his hair all over the house, my maid is going bonkers.
Raw meat is tough, while raw bones are soft. In contrast cooked meat is soft, cooked bones are hard and especially chicken splinter easily.

I have been feeding my Labrador raw meat and raw fish since he came at 6 weeks old. By now he is an expert at eating fish and meat. We introduced cooked meat after he was 2 years old. Now at six years he eats cooked chicken bones carefully, crushing and chewing bones thoroughly, so no splinters.

Large dogs shed hair through out the year. Twice a year it is heavy, but small amounts are shed always. The best thing is to comb the hair at least twice a day, using a very fine toothed metallic comb (also called flea/tick comb).

Unless the dog smells a lot (my lab does not), avoid bathing more than twice a year. Most large dogs have a layer of oil in the inner coat which not only insulates them, but repels dust and water. One shake and my lab is clean as ever.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:41   #2434
BHPian

I bought a doberman (dobe) a year back..named him zoro ..had paid a price of 25k for that as it was from a very good bloodline..he just turned 13 months.. The structure and the bones are really extraordinary than other dobes..will post some pics soon and also would look out a mate for him in some time Any one with a good female dobe do let me know..thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 21:09   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Sorry to hear your loss shashank. I know the feeling of losing a pet !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
So sorry to hear about FH. The gills seem to be bleeding, that's a different sign from all that we read/wrote about saving her.
Bleeding gills generally mean poisoning.

Raab Rakha.
No, it was a case of Bacterial Hemorhagic septicemia, it leads to internal bleeding and ultimately results in death. Unfortunately, by the time i could diagnose the infection correctly, it was too late to save her as the infection was in an advanced stage and the overdose of medicine i gave her accidently, worsened her condition further. As if one loss wasn't enough, my other fish in the same tank also has the same problem, though it's in the initial stages. His chances of making it are 50-50. Hoping for the best
Old 5th December 2011, 21:39   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
As if one loss wasn't enough, my other fish in the same tank also has the same problem, though it's in the initial stages. His chances of making it are 50-50. Hoping for the best
The thumb rule with fish keeping is to always have another smaller aquarium as hospital aquarium with heater, filter fitted & some extra filter sponge.
The first thing to do is to shift the sick fish to your hospital aquarium as soonest you notice the symptoms of any sickness in fishes.
With the kind of the things you mentioned on the aquarium site, you are already a pro & my pointers are very basic but the most basic things make all the difference in fish keeping.
I wish all the best for male FH. I hope he makes it through.
JUST DON'T EXPERIMENT ON THE POOR SOUL.

Raab Rakha.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:29   #2437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JUST DON'T EXPERIMENT ON THE POOR SOUL.
Ariesonu, i'm far from being a pro I had a hospital tank complete with heater and filter like what you mentioned, unfortunately BOTH my fishes outgrew the tank in a few months, tank is just 1 feet. I was planning to buy a replacement tank for this purpose but unfortunately disaster struck before i could buy one.

I'm trying my best to save him, based on guidance i receive from experts on that site. I assure you, i'm NOT experimenting on him.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:58   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Did you try the salt water treatment ? Has worked most of the times for me.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:08   #2439
BHPian

Salt in water gives the water extra density which helps a sick fish to float easily without much effort. Also, it is helpful for treating minor itch. In this case he needs antibiotics and frequent water change. But again frequent water change gives the already sick fish some shock. You can use additives like Stresscoat for frequent water changes:

Stress Coat® - API
Old 6th December 2011, 00:04   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Go slow on combing his hair. If you notice clumps of hair sticking to your large toothed comb, stop combing the dog. May be the dog needs more iron. My dogs rarely have this issue and I ( Ahem - a little confession is in order here) give them Dexorange. It always seems to help.
Well I will have to mix carrot to his chicken then, he may find it weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Large dogs shed hair through out the year. Twice a year it is heavy, but small amounts are shed always. The best thing is to comb the hair at least twice a day, using a very fine toothed metallic comb (also called flea/tick comb).

Unless the dog smells a lot (my lab does not), avoid bathing more than twice a year. Most large dogs have a layer of oil in the inner coat which not only insulates them, but repels dust and water. One shake and my lab is clean as ever.
Yeah possible, but he is a lab and my Dog is a double coat German Shepherd. His coat is like the door mat, which acts as a magnet for dust. One Sunday I miss giving him bath and I can see dust all over his body, I can not resists till Tuesday. Not that he stays out-doors, I work from home half the month and he prefers sitting inside the house and watch the gate, rest of the time when I go to work, he is closed inside the house.

Last edited by Googleman : 6th December 2011 at 00:05.
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 09:35   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah possible, but he is a lab and my Dog is a double coat German Shepherd. His coat is like the door mat, which acts as a magnet for dust. One Sunday I miss giving him bath and I can see dust all over his body, I can not resists till Tuesday. Not that he stays out-doors, I work from home half the month and he prefers sitting inside the house and watch the gate, rest of the time when I go to work, he is closed inside the house.
Contrary to popular belief, labs have and shed enough hair to give a German Shepherd run for its money.

My Lab gets all dusty, and then one vigorous shake and all the dust flies away. Instead of regular bath try regular brushing. Initially with a thick broad brush to get rid of surface dirt and then with a fine toothed comb to get rid of loose hair. Do it religiously and you will see the coat shine. Depending on how dirty or how much hair is shed, I have to brush him five or six times, twice a day, and when things are normal, once a week.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:38   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Its been a week since my beloved FH passed away. One of the hardest things for me to do was euthanize the last remaining fish to save him from a painful and agonizing death. I hope no aquarist ever has to euthanize their fish. Its the worst that can ever be asked of them.
RIP
Old 13th December 2011, 11:10   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Its been a week since my beloved FH passed away. One of the hardest things for me to do was euthanize the last remaining fish to save him from a painful and agonizing death. I hope no aquarist ever has to euthanize their fish. Its the worst that can ever be asked of them.
RIP
That's bad. RIP FH-2.
Now that there is no fish in the tank, I strongly suggest that you shift your aquarium away from TV & noise sources.
Thorough clean your tank (use rock salt) & let it dry for couple of days. Then fill it directly from tap & forget it for one good month. Run filter once in awhile & let it culture. You know the drill.
Check PH after one week & so every week.
My next suggestion will be to get an Arowana (but they are not colorful).

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 13th December 2011 at 11:16.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 15:22   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's bad. RIP FH-2.
Now that there is no fish in the tank, I strongly suggest that you shift your aquarium away from TV & noise sources.
Thorough clean your tank (use rock salt) & let it dry for couple of days. Then fill it directly from tap & forget it for one good month. Run filter once in awhile & let it culture. You know the drill.
Check PH after one week & so every week.
My next suggestion will be to get an Arowana (but they are not colorful).

Raab Rakha.
Thanks for the suggestions ariesonu. You are right, i'm gonna buy new fish only when i'm able to shift the tank to a better location.

Arowana is what i want as well and you have to look at the asian counterparts so see how beautiful they are! Its prohibitively expensive though.
Old 15th December 2011, 00:04   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Well I will have to mix carrot to his chicken then, he may find it weird

German Shepherd playing in water - YouTube

German Shepherd playing - YouTube
Hey googleman, how heavy is this fellow. He looks very hairy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks