Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 18:32   #2551
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Some pics of my pets, which include -
Dogs - Pumy (pomeranian), Pogo (Pug), Pearl (labrador)
Fishes, Turtles, White mice....
That's a nice house you have! For a moment, I thought you have a tiger cub too sitting among the dogs!

By the way, the aquarium / fish tank (bowl) is NOT supposed to be placed anywhere near windows where you get direct sunlight right?
Old 5th March 2012, 18:57   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's a nice house you have! For a moment, I thought you have a tiger cub too sitting among the dogs!

By the way, the aquarium / fish tank (bowl) is NOT supposed to be placed anywhere near windows where you get direct sunlight right?
Thanks @swiftnfurious, yes, though excessive sunlight will promote rapid algae growth direct sunlight is also good for the plants for photosynthesis and releasing oxygen into the water. So we keep the bowl exposed only for some time after which we drop down the curtains. This has kept the plants and the fishes surviving and healthy for quite some time now. We also keep replacing small quantities of water in the bowl at regular intervals.

Attaching a pic of my fish tank. The long fish you see at the top left is an Alligator Gar which is around 2 feet long now. It has been shifted to another tank specially made for it. Reason...It turned into a killer machine few months ago and chomped off over 8 of my fishes including well grown oscars and sharks. It has 2 rows of razor sharp teeth. An ambush predator, I've witnessed it sneaking up to fishes and grabbing it by the body pulling it down to the bottom of the tank. We managed to save some fishes from its wrath but finally shifted it after we discovered a half eaten oscar struggling in the water one morning. The same oscar that you see in the pic towards the bottom right. My wife said "either the gar goes out or you leave the house"..That's when I got a seperate tank made.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01777.jpg  

nitin_80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 19:24   #2553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I never knew dogs get so attached! I always thought when you give those a new shelter, food & some love, they become happy with the new owners. Every time I visit a thread in team-bhp, I get to learn something totally new!!
Dogs can get very attached to owners.

@SwiftnFurious : please read this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1257818

Last edited by condor : 5th March 2012 at 19:28.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 20:01   #2554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The hair looks like that of Britney Spears!

I never knew dogs get so attached! I always thought when you give those a new shelter, food & some love, they become happy with the new owners. Every time I visit a thread in team-bhp, I get to learn something totally new!!

PS:: Do we have a thread on how to groom & train puppies?

one word.
hachiko.

As to training and grooming, you can read up generic instructions via google.
Anything specific, then this thread and its posters have enough collective knowledge to write tomes, i think...
Old 6th March 2012, 05:32   #2555
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I couldnt agree more. All these years of having pets - for the last several generations at our home (s), I can only marvel at the incredible love and goodness that dogs, cats, cows and all creatures great and small show to us idiot humans. I wish human beings had just 10% of that infinite capacity for forgiveness that animals have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Please Please dont consider animals as cheap souls. They do deserve a good life and death for the love they give back to us. There is nothing that cannot be done. All it needs patience and willingness to do it.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 01:23   #2556
BHPian

I am in a bit of a spot. I year back a stray pup just happened to come to my bunk and gradually i started feeding it because i love dogs and never got to keep one at home. Now as time passed the pup stayed at the pump and i got it vaccianated and got him the anti rabbies Shot from the vet and named him blackie. Now the thing is over the past 2 weeks he has gotten aggressive and scared a couple of customers he usually roams around we have never tied him and this behaviour is there only when me or my mum are present when we arent around he simply lays here or there. But when we get there he automatically becomes rambo now i am worried He might hurt someone, what could be the reason behind his aggresion all of a sudden ? How do i solve this issue would tying him up help or changing what we feed him. Need help guys..

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image2361675074.jpg

Thts blackie always there at the entrance.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:16   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Now the thing is over the past 2 weeks he has gotten aggressive and scared a couple of customers he usually roams around we have never tied him and this behaviour is there only when me or my mum are present when we arent around he simply lays here or there. But when we get there he automatically becomes rambo what could be the reason behind his aggresion all of a sudden ?
Well, from what you have posted, it seems that he is protecting you and your family when you are around. He seems to be a good guard dog and like it or not, he has made you his owner The solution will be to either take him to a training school or tie him up when you come home.

I am no dog expert, maybe the bhpians who owns dogs can advice you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
It turned into a killer machine few months ago and chomped off over 8 of my fishes including well grown oscars and sharks. It has 2 rows of razor sharp teeth. An ambush predator, I've witnessed it sneaking up to fishes and grabbing it by the body pulling it down to the bottom of the tank. We managed to save some fishes from its wrath but finally shifted it after we discovered a half eaten oscar struggling in the water one morning.I got a seperate tank made.
Woah! I have seen the Alligator Gar in a local shop in Mumbai, thought that they would adjust along with Oscars, who are supposed to be the most aggressive of the lot. Which fishes do you have now? And with whom can Oscar co-exist with?

Post the pics of your turtle tank

Last edited by _raVan_ : 7th March 2012 at 09:43.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 18:52   #2558
BHPian

I have a tiny aquarium about 12 x 6 inches wide and 18 inches in height. What are best fishes suited for this tank and how many. I have experimented with anywhere from 2 to 8 fishes and had mixed results. I have had goldfish, angels, kois, goramis, neon tetras, guppies, redcaps, baby sharks and others (not all together) and the survival rate has been anywhere from 2 weeks to 10 months.

Currently my tank is not in use from last 3 months, but I want to restart it since my kids are very keen on it. What is the most maintenance-free fish to keep in this small setup? The tank is clear glass with a layer of pebbles at the bottom. It holds about 30 litres of water and has oxygen running 24 x 7. No ornaments, heaters, lighting etc.

I change the whole water about once a month and add chlorine about 10 drops at that time. Feed is usually dried worms. Looks like I am not able to build a sustainable eco-system for the long run, and hence the fish die out quickly.

Any suggestions on how to keep them healthy for atleast 4-6 months? My daughter gets very upset whenever we lose a fish. Besides the superstition that the fish took some bad omen on itself instead of the family!

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 7th March 2012 at 19:05.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:09   #2559
BHPian

Wow nice thread!!! Just stumbled upon this thread. I would like to share few of my pets at home.

1. Aquarium:

I have an aquarium at home. It's a 160 litre tank and there are few resident fishes in there. Couple of Bolivian Rams are my favourite. Apart from Rams there are few platys, sword tails, tetras & molly. This is a community aquarium and all resident fishes are very peaceful except those 2 Rams. They fight among themselves all the time. It’s very nice to watch them fight at times very funny. They basically fight for territory. It's a sad part that fishes started dying for the past few months, most probably due to some deficiency. I am unable to find time to take care of this tank right now. Planning to give away fishes and dismantle the tank and start over after few months. I have an external canister filter, an internal power filter and one internal bio filter.
2. Love birds:

I have couple of love birds. I love them a lot. They love each other very much. The hen started laying eggs on 29th Feb 2012 and there are 4 eggs ready to be hatched and she is incubating them. I think there is one more egg due may be in another couple of days. It would take 20-23 days for the eggs to hatch . Keeping my fingers crossed. The hen started building a nest within the pot that I had kept inside the cage. Its pair helped the hen to build the nest. They built the nest out of the paper that I put inside their cage. They are so close that, if I take out one of the birds out of the cage, then the other starts shouting. When the hen is incubating, the other love bird feeds her. They keep chirping throughout the day. They love to eat sugarcane, orange, apple, greens, sweet corns, pomegranate and obviously seeds. Seeds are their favourites but I don’t feed them only seeds, I mix and match them with other food on a daily basis.

3. Tommy & Rusty:

These are not my dogs but both of them are taken care by me and another neighbour. Tommy is older than Rusty and they both guard our houses throughout day and night. Whenever I set out for a walk, both the dogs come with me. Once I went to a nearby temple and both were waiting outside the temple till I returned and came with me to my home. Tommy sleeps in front of my house. Rusty sleeps at my neighbour’s house. Both dogs are vaccinated.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-aquarium2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds5.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds6.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds_eggs.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds7.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds8.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds9.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lbirds10.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dogs2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dogs3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dogs4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dogs5.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dogs6.jpg  

sabsubs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 19:47   #2560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what could be the reason behind his aggresion all of a sudden ? How do i solve this issue would tying him up help or changing what we feed him. Need help guys..
He is a cute dog. I am no expert but can it have anything to with there mating season? I am assuming you didn't get any surgery done on him for the same. He would be confused and aggressive and may be thats why the behaviour. I don't think its because he has developed guard dog instincts since such behaviour would have been displayed earlier too right? Also a dog guards its territory rather than its owner so he should be behaving the same way even in your absence.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 19:54   #2561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am in a bit of a spot. I year back a stray pup just happened to come to my bunk and gradually i started feeding it because i love dogs and never got to keep one at home. Now as time passed the pup stayed at the pump and i got it vaccianated and got him the anti rabbies Shot from the vet and named him blackie. Now the thing is over the past 2 weeks he has gotten aggressive and scared a couple of customers he usually roams around we have never tied him and this behaviour is there only when me or my mum are present when we arent around he simply lays here or there. But when we get there he automatically becomes rambo now i am worried He might hurt someone, what could be the reason behind his aggresion all of a sudden ? How do i solve this issue would tying him up help or changing what we feed him. Need help guys..

Attachment 898492

Do you and your mom constantly pamper him when he's with you?
patting, tidbits of food, keeping him next to you?

There may be a guard dog instinct, but it could be something very basic like protecting his turf(your attention).
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 21:36   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I have a tiny aquarium about 12 x 6 inches wide and 18 inches in height. What are best fishes suited for this tank and how many. I have experimented with anywhere from 2 to 8 fishes and had mixed results.
I change the whole water about once a month and add chlorine about 10 drops at that time. Feed is usually dried worms. Looks like I am not able to build a sustainable eco-system for the long run, and hence the fish die out quickly.
Any suggestions on how to keep them healthy for atleast 4-6 months? My daughter gets very upset whenever we lose a fish. Besides the superstition that the fish took some bad omen on itself instead of the family!
LxBxH (12"x6"x18") Its rather a small tank & crowding it with 6-8 fishes has been the reason for low survival rate of your fishes.

I have written basic tips for Aquarium & though will be repeating myself in this thread but here are the very basics to begin with:
Assuming you already have AIR PUMP, now get a good FILTER;
*Clean your tank & gravel under LOTS & LOTS of water, but DO NOT use soap at all. SOAP is POISON for fish.
*Let gravel & tank dry for once. Meanwhile fill a clean (soapfree) bucket of water & keep it aside for overnight. Again do NOT use those chlorine liquids etc that you get aplenty at LFS (Local Fish Shop).
*Place your tank at a place where there is not much homely traffic & away from direct sunlight & fill it with that bucket water. Pour your gravel, fix that filter & put the tank cover ON (Try getting one with ULTRA-VIOLET light in the cover)
*Forget your tank for ONE week but meanhwile do flwg: Get BLUE liquid from LFS & add in the tank after one day. You can add some granuled salt (Iodine free) but its not mandatory. After three days, run FILTER (without that sponge) & keep it running for the rest of the week. THIS IS CALLED CULTURING THE TANK.
*I would suggest you take more time but a week is OK. Meanwhile I suggest you read about types & nature of different fishes.
*Within this period, you can add some plastic plants & decorations for fishes to play & hide. But clean them thoroughly & dry them before adding in the tank. Also MUST ensure that whenever you put your hands in tank they are clean & soap-free.
*Add TWO KOI: Orange ones with tail-fins like Goldfishes will make nice starter fishes. NEVER add LFS aquarium water into your tank. Contrary to common belief, dont feed them for the first day.
*You can run AIR PUMP but do shut it off once-in-a-while.
*Get "TETRA BITS" from LFS & feed your fishes counted granules (Say about 6 granules each fish). Ensure that your fishes eat their food within 5-10 minutes of feeding. Extra food rots at the tank bottom & releases ammonia, which is fish killer in tanks.
*Add one more pair but always tell your LFS person about your present fishes so that he can suggest about compatible fishes.
*Change only 30-40% of water of tank every fortnight & entire tank after six months, but NEVER EVER change 100% water.

Pls feel free for any queries & I'll try to reply to my best.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 7th March 2012 at 21:59.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 22:49   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
I have a tiny aquarium about 12 x 6 inches wide and 18 inches in height. What are best fishes suited for this tank and how many. I have experimented with anywhere from 2 to 8 fishes and had mixed results. I have had goldfish, angels, kois, goramis, neon tetras, guppies, redcaps, baby sharks and others (not all together) and the survival rate has been anywhere from 2 weeks to 10 months.
!
Few ques and possible remedies:
Do you have filter? if not get one. thats very important.
are you not changing any water for 1 month? for such size of tank, you should change 10-15% of water every 10 days or so. Never change whole water in one shot.
do you have right lighting?
what is feeding pattern? you might be feeding too much.
do you see algae formation? if yes, thats a sign of good environment.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 23:17   #2564
BHPian

Go to indianaquariumhobbyist.com » Forums and read and read. You'll need to learn a lot of things .
Quote:

Currently my tank is not in use from last 3 months, but I want to restart it since my kids are very keen on it. What is the most maintenance-free fish to keep in this small setup? The tank is clear glass with a layer of pebbles at the bottom. It holds about 30 litres of water and has oxygen running 24 x 7. No ornaments, heaters, lighting etc.

archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 00:42   #2565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cute dog!
I think it is more to do with you'll being around. Since he only goes after a couple of customers, is there anything that they've done that could set him off? Such as come close to you, or your mother (as compared to other customers who might keep their distance), or acted a little odd (fear maybe) that made the dog suspicious?
As lovable as he might be, a good way to tackle this is to be firm with him, and teach him. A slightly strict NO, with a light whack using a rolled up newspaper might do the trick (again, a light whack, as the sound is what needs to scare him - not the pain), so he understands that what he is doing is wrong. Similarly, at times when he is good to customers (maybe a little playful), reward him with a little pat on his head/scratch his back, and possibly a treat (not too often to make it a habit though - just once in a while).

Again, this is based from what others have told me when I was training our dog. He has come out pretty well trained, and though he will bark at everyone entering the house, he will greet them and entertain them in a friendly manner.

If it was just him guarding his turf, he would do it even when you'll are not around. My dog, (a GSD) gets very annoyed when someone enters my room, even if I am not there.

At the same time, do consider getting him neutered. That might solve the issue as well, as he seems to be growing up, and they are typically more aggressive. I am not sure if this is a possibility at this age, the vet would be the best person to give you advice on that.
It might be cruel to many, but if he does knock a female up, it may not be the healthiest of choices for the new born pups who may not have a good home/shelter, and possibly some genetic issues getting passed on - if he or the female have one . This is just my opinion, sorry if it offends anyone.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks