Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 20:36   #3541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Oh god, if you had only checked here! Drools has got a terrible reputation. Wish we could have it banned! It must be a difficult time for you. My prayers are with you and your cat.
That's sad, is drools bad for dogs also? We were told by the shopkeeper that it's equally good but cheaper since made in India.
Old 13th February 2014, 21:58   #3542
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
That's sad, is drools bad for dogs also? We were told by the shopkeeper that it's equally good but cheaper since made in India.
Bad for ALL animals, me thinks! Its cheap and they're bad!
Old 14th February 2014, 05:24   #3543
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
+1 to that. Cassie looks Gorgeous. She reminds me of my Dustie - a hugh GSD I had for 10 years. I have lived with GSDs all my life except for the last 3 years after Dustie passed away. It is quite difficult to get a good GSD in Madras.

Where did you get your Cassie ? Shankar Sir.

Hi
One of my friends from the golfing group had got Cassie because his kids kept on asking for a dog. In a while he figured out that the kids were busy with studies and no one had enough time for her so he asked me, knowing I love dogs.

I had just lost my Weimaraner at that time so I drove straight to his house, placed Cassie in the jeep and brought her home. She has been here ever since, 6 years and counting. She was one year old at the time.

The other one is Daisy, who came to me from CUPA as a one year old after the loss of another pet in 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th February 2014 at 05:27.
Old 14th February 2014, 18:17   #3544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Oh god, if you had only checked here! Drools has got a terrible reputation. Wish we could have it banned!

It must be a difficult time for you. My prayers are with you and your cat.
Thanks for prayer

I just feel very guilty that I made a choice for my cat that ended up taking his life! It will scar me forever.

Since then I've researching a lot to understand the problem and how to prevent it not just for me but for a lot of pet owners out there who may not be aware of the problem with processed food.
I found pages and pages of write ups where processed food has caused deaths of cats. Even reputed brands are not completely safe.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/..._cat_food.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/...-cat-food.html

The more I look the more I find that for cats dry food is no-no. The most preferred is a home cooked meal. The next best thing is wet food and plenty of fresh (non chlorinated) water.

Another thing I've seen is the general ignorance of vets to look into the aspects of food.
My vet never mentioned even once to avoid dry food. On the contrary the stock tons of it.
Old 15th February 2014, 13:43   #3545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi
One of my friends from the golfing group had got Cassie because his kids kept on asking for a dog. In a while he figured out that the kids were busy with studies and no one had enough time for her so he asked me, knowing I love dogs.

The other one is Daisy, who came to me from CUPA as a one year old after the loss of another pet in 2005.
Thanks. I bought GSD puppies from the Vets in Madras. Problem was one had a congenital defect and died within 8 months while the second puppy had a tick infestation. I used every trick to wipe out the infestation - but the puppy developed anemia and died soon.

It is difficult to locate a genuine breeder in Madras nowadays. Everyone wants to make quick money. Hence the request for reference in this forum.
Old 15th February 2014, 16:33   #3546
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thanks. I bought GSD puppies from the Vets in Madras. Problem was one had a congenital defect and died within 8 months while the second puppy had a tick infestation. I used every trick to wipe out the infestation - but the puppy developed anemia and died soon.

It is difficult to locate a genuine breeder in Madras nowadays. Everyone wants to make quick money. Hence the request for reference in this forum.

If you contact the KCI in Kilpauk they should be able to put you in touch with high quality GSD breeders. Not the dodgy types.

My dog Cassie's grandad was from Germany. Cassie is the runt of the litter and has trouble with her hind legs. Though now she is so very much better than when she first came to me.
Old 16th February 2014, 11:00   #3547
Senior - BHPian

While selecting puppies I was told to follow the following criteria
. The paws should be big
. The disposition sunny, that is the puppy should be playful and come to you with little coaxing
. The fur should be smooth and shiny
. The parents should be healthy and should seem to be fagged out with litters coming too fast.
Old 16th February 2014, 13:13   #3548
Distinguished - BHPian

Aroy, did you miss a "not" in the fagged-out parents criterion?
Old 16th February 2014, 14:51   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Aroy, did you miss a "not" in the fagged-out parents criterion?
Thanks, Yes you are right.
Old 16th February 2014, 17:47   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you contact the KCI in Kilpauk they should be able to put you in touch with high quality GSD breeders. Not the dodgy types. My dog Cassie's grandad was from Germany. Cassie is the runt of the litter and has trouble with her hind legs. Though now she is so very much better than when she first came to me.
For GSD puppies the best choice is Goldwin kennels at Coimbatore. Another is kingsland kennels ooty. Check shepmagic at Bangalore too. If anyone needs help for choosing a lineage etc glad to help for the general knowledge behind the same
Old 16th February 2014, 18:06   #3551
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
For GSD puppies the best choice is Goldwin kennels at Coimbatore. Another is kingsland kennels ooty. Check shepmagic at Bangalore too. If anyone needs help for choosing a lineage etc glad to help for the general knowledge behind the same

Any indication of pricing in today's market?
There is one lady, Mrs Giri in Bangalore, who breeds gorgeous Alsatians.
Her prices could be in the region of Rs. 50,000/- a pup.
Old 16th February 2014, 20:55   #3552
BHPian

AFAIK, a good pup can range between 25K and upwards. Poorly bred alsatians are very difficult with their health and related problems and will cause a lot of mental trauma to the pet parent.
It would be prudent to check the lineage to make sure that the breed line has no known history of hip dysplapsia.
over sized paws are not an indication of good health to begin with. A good way is to check the weight of the pup according to its age and confirm its correct. The weight chart of GSD is given here http://www.total-german-shepherd.com...rowthchart.jpg

Please talk to the breeder about the lineage and check whether he is interested to talk about the bloodline rather than cost and others. A good breeder must be able to give all the details about the bloodline INCLUDING BEHAVIOUR of the bloodline. In my case the breeder was able to predict how the puppy will call for a potty request and it was spot on.
Old 17th February 2014, 07:01   #3553
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
INCLUDING BEHAVIOUR of the bloodline. In my case the breeder was able to predict how the puppy will call for a potty request and it was spot on.

Well bred Alsatians are absolutely the BEST dogs, without exception. They are may absolute favourite breed, not least because they Wolf like in their looks but probably because when I was born and brought home, apparently, our family's two big Alsatians positioned themselves right under my cradle and stayed there. They were my first two friends in all the world. I cannot begin to express how much I love Alsatian dogs.
Old 17th February 2014, 15:06   #3554
BHPian

Great to hear that and i am too a GSD lover. Here are the pictures of my girl.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20130625-21.34.13.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20130705-22.33.23.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20130717-09.11.11.jpg  

Old 21st February 2014, 21:54   #3555
Distinguished - BHPian

Dog Brains Process Voices & Emotions Just Like Humans, Study Finds

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/21/dogs-brains-process-voices-emotions-like-humans_n_4830393.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks