Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2017, 14:14   #4606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is flea infestation probable with Pets in India. I have an indoor/outdoor cat who spends the day out but is home in the night. Should I be worried about a possible flea infestation in the home?
The cat has been with me for a year now, I haven't noticed anything till now - I don't even know what a flea looks like.
Yes, and ticks!

Our dogs are given a flea and tick medication every month, and I would recommend you to get the same - especially if they interact with other strays.

I am not sure about cats - but with dogs, one can make out with scratching. If not treated on time can cause other complications, and also spread around the house - sofas, beds, carpets, etc.
Old 10th November 2017, 14:53   #4607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Our dogs are given a flea and tick medication every month, and I would recommend you to get the same - especially if they interact with other strays.
Is this oral or topical medication? What is the name?
Old 10th November 2017, 15:01   #4608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this oral or topical medication? What is the name?
This is a topical medication that we use at home called Spot On/Protektor. We apply it between his shoulder blades (where he can't lick it).

Check with your vet what they would recommend!

EDIT: Sorry - I had gotten the name confused - cleared up.

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th November 2017 at 15:03.
Old 10th November 2017, 17:40   #4609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
This is a topical medication that we use at home called Spot On/Protektor. We apply it between his shoulder blades (where he can't lick it).
I'm glad that is available in Inda now. I should treat my cats to a dose each! My London cats used to get it. Never mind the every-month instruction on the pack, I used to find that, once one got rid of the residual house flea population, three months would do.

For those who are new to these one-drop flea treatments, please note this vital fact...

One-drop treatments for dogs and cats are not the same. The treatment for dogs can kill cats.

Of course, formulae may have changed in a decade, but, even if a vet tells otherwise, do not take the risk. Buy dog drops for your dogs and cat drops for you cats, and never mix them up.

This is one of those things that had to be learnt the hard way, like airbags killing unrestrained children. Cats died in the process.
Old 10th November 2017, 21:47   #4610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm glad that is available in Inda now. I should treat my cats to a dose each! My London cats used to get it. Never mind the every-month instruction on the pack, I used to find that, once one got rid of the residual house flea population, three months would do.
Quote:

Does this take care of ticks/fleas/mites everything?
Old 13th November 2017, 12:07   #4611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
[/b]
While the exact American/UK version is not available everywhere - there is a localized version available. Recently picked it up for my dogs, but cannot remember the name - however most vets do stock it, so shouldn't be too difficult to get your hands on it.

I used to buy it from the US whenever I used to travel earlier / anyone coming down from there.

Quote:
Does this take care of ticks/fleas/mites everything?
Yes - do read up on how it works.
However, it isn't instant and takes a little time to be fully effective if you're just starting out.
At least that's been my experience.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:24   #4612
BANNED

Quote:
Yes - do read up on how it works.
However, it isn't instant and takes a little time to be fully effective if you're just starting out.
Any issues with it - i.e. will the cat develop any temp issues because of it?
Old 13th November 2017, 12:26   #4613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They shouldn't as it's topical, but as I said - best to check with your vet once to be sure that your cat is old enough and has no allergies or so to worry about.
Old 14th November 2017, 01:50   #4614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This might be because most of an animal's fleas are not on the animal most of the time. They are around the house. With a bad infestation, it is worth treating the house as well as the animals.
Quote:
There is something about ticks and heart disease, but I really cannot remember what. It is something like the animal should be checked to make sure it does not have the heart problem already. Sorry to be vague: it's been a long time now since my last London cat!
Old 17th November 2017, 21:49   #4615
BHPian

This is a new trick on how you can get maximum discount from your car dealer.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1510935496525.jpg
Old 25th November 2017, 14:17   #4616
BHPian

Hi! I am contemplating getting my 6 year old son a guinea pig as a pet. Couple of things I wanted to ask, since India specific information is scarce on the web.
1. What is a good place to buy the guinea pig in Bengalooru? Anyone knows a breeder?
2. I want to try making the cage myself. I have read that they can be made with corrugated plastic boards and wire cages. Has anyone tried this out? All the search results lead to sites in the first world.

Thanks!
Old 27th November 2017, 18:24   #4617
BHPian

Hello, can anyone give me some lead for Irish Setter pups? I am based out of Calcutta, but if from other states it is also OK as I am unable to find one here. - Thanks.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:54   #4618
BHPian

A sign of a dog's love is always evident. Sometimes it's very very obvious as shown in the picture below.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1512796956407.jpg
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 11:23   #4619
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for a cute puppy in Bangalore. Just a few months old please. Pet will be looked after like a King, so please do let me know.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:29   #4620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm looking for a cute puppy in Bangalore. Just a few months old please. Pet will be looked after like a King, so please do let me know.
All puppies are cute Happy to see you havent given a breed based criteria; hoping that's the case. There are several groups on FB (e.g. link) that put up posts for puppies for adoption those are being taken care by fosters. Suggest you have a look for starters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks