Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 16:57   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Read about meal replacement shakes widely prevalent in the tech community in Silicon Valley, US. (soylent, shmoylent, schmilk etc). People are drinking these as substitutes for food to save time to work more ! Most are protein powders with added minerals and nutrients. They are damn cheap too which is an extra consideration
Old 25th May 2015, 20:57   #3902
BHPian

Does anyone happen to know where one can procure adjustable dumbbells?
Sort of like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Bowflex does not ship to India, and these guys do, but the cost of shipping is twice the cost of the weights. Which is ludicrous.

Thanks in advance
Ang.
Old 27th May 2015, 13:09   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
Does anyone happen to know where one can procure adjustable dumbbells?
these guys have it: https://plus.google.com/115464617851252868902/about
Old 29th May 2015, 22:44   #3904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Thank you, looked at their website, and while the prices are still through the roof, am having a look at other options there.
Old 31st May 2015, 01:13   #3905
BHPian

Figured I just post here.

Haven't been lifting lately, been almost a month. Have to be back on a 3 day split routine, going with all compounds. Just need to move and drag myself to the gym.
Old 1st June 2015, 11:39   #3906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Read about meal replacement shakes widely prevalent in the tech community in Silicon Valley, US. (soylent, shmoylent, schmilk etc). People are drinking these as substitutes for food to save time to work more ! Most are protein powders with added minerals and nutrients. They are damn cheap too which is an extra consideration
Hmmm, what happens to the process of defecating the waste from your intestines in such shakes diet?
Old 1st June 2015, 12:35   #3907
Senior - BHPian

I had a meniscus tear in both my legs and was recommended to undergo surgery at the earliest. I consulted 4-5 doctors and 2 of the most reputed and senior doctors told me to take up swimming (which I love) and see if my legs get better.

Now my legs are definitely better and the pain has gone down substantially. I swim 6 days a week (starting last week) and also started my routine of weight lifting after my swimming session at home, courtesy http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com.

After stumbling upon this website I realized that I'm able to workout all major muscle groups with a pair of dumbbells and wanted to order another pair with more weights.

Questions -
1. Any harm in only restricting myself with a pair of dumbbells? Any recommendations on where I can order a pair with diverse weights online, you know, sasta tikau type?
2. I'm also planning to get a pull-up bar. I reckon drilling 2 holes and getting a solid metal bar is better than getting a readymade one. Any recommendations for this also? Don't want the one which fits on the door though.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:57   #3908
BHPian

Dear Fine69,

You can virtually work out almost all body parts using dumbbells,the centre rod remains same what you will gradually need is more weights as your body get accustomed to the weight you are lifting.

For the pull ups you drill hole in to solid wall,if you can in concrete nothing like it, use anchor fasteners and your bar is good to go for a good amount of weight.

You can buy anchor fasteners at any hard ware shop,the bar size should be snug for your palms and please do not buy the very very smooth ones as your palms tend to slip on those.

Since i have had a bad bi-condyle fracture and acl tear in my left leg i would suggest do not stop working out,thats from my personal experience.
I also consume a tablet called tendomac,please consult your doctor for this. i have found it helps me big time for my joints specially my knees.
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:32   #3909
BHPian

Sorry to hear your injuries guys, I know how it feels. Had few injuries and surgeries in the past playing sports.

Recently had a tear in my ankle playing Basketball, still need to see what could be done but I'm back on my feet lifting and all, sometimes I do get those spikes of pain randomly or the day after I work my legs but nothing unbearable.

Ligament tears are worse than fractures, at least from my experience.
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:39   #3910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Dear Fine69,

You can virtually work out almost all body parts using dumbbells,the centre rod remains same what you will gradually need is more weights as your body get accustomed to the weight you are lifting.
So for my back I do a Wide Row, Kneeling One Arm Row and Dead Lift. Somehow I get the feeling that my back doesn't get a very good workout. I don't have any issue with my form but the burn that I usually feel in my biceps and elsewhere doesn't seem to be there when doing my back, less weights maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
For the pull ups you drill hole in to solid wall,if you can in concrete nothing like it, use anchor fasteners and your bar is good to go for a good amount of weight.
Do you mean anchor fasteners that'll go in the ceiling? If yes, then I need to get some solid chains also to hold it, isn't it?

Also, what's a good way to determine whether I'm using the right weight for a particular routine? Currently I do 8-14 reps and 3-4 sets depending on how comfortable I am with a particular weight. For now I'm ensuring that if I'm drained out by the end of 3rd or 4th set and don't have any more power to do another set then I'm ok with the weight. Thoughts?
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:52   #3911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Also, what's a good way to determine whether I'm using the right weight for a particular routine? Currently I do 8-14 reps and 3-4 sets depending on how comfortable I am with a particular weight. For now I'm ensuring that if I'm drained out by the end of 3rd or 4th set and don't have any more power to do another set then I'm ok with the weight. Thoughts?
Depends on your goals. Though one can't really achieve more than what his genes (and drugs) determine , so perhaps it makes little difference what goals you have and what I am going to write below.

For a more powerlifting oriented goal (which means tomorrow you want to lift heavier than today) - the usual thing is to take up a weight that allows you to do 3 sets of 5 reps. Just close to failure on the last set only.

For a more adonis look oriented goal (which means you don't care about how much weight you lift, but just want to make your self look "better" in the eyes of majority of fairer sex) - the usual thing is to take up a weight that allows you to do 5 sets of 10 reps. (Some people even do something like 6-8 sets of 15 reps or 10 sets of 10 or 5 sets of 20). Just close to failure on the last set only.

There are nuances in both, but it is minutiae.

What you are currently doing is something in between - that is usually peddled around in the internet forums and among gym instructors, which is definitely nothing harmful.

The truth is you can do anything out of the three approaches, and it will result in almost the same effect upon your strength or physique.

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd June 2015 at 16:54.
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:05   #3912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Depends on your goals. Though one can't really achieve more than what his genes (and drugs) determine , so perhaps it makes little difference what goals you have and what I am going to write below.
There you go again! I always look forward to your responses on this thread because you always have a different point of view (which doesn't go very well with most body-builders though ). Not to mention they are very demotivating at times!

My goal is to be able to gain some amount of muscle. Currently my biceps are about the same size as my forearms, really skinny. I have bones in the name of shoulders & the only thing bulging in the body is the damn paunch!

I reckon that if I wish to gain muscle I would want to lift to failure, about 3-4 sets, of 6-8 reps.
Old 4th June 2015, 13:21   #3913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
There you go again! I always look forward to your responses on this thread because you always have a different point of view (which doesn't go very well with most body-builders though ). Not to mention they are very demotivating at times!

My goal is to be able to gain some amount of muscle. Currently my biceps are about the same size as my forearms, really skinny. I have bones in the name of shoulders & the only thing bulging in the body is the damn paunch!

I reckon that if I wish to gain muscle I would want to lift to failure, about 3-4 sets, of 6-8 reps.
Yes, that is what most people in the world say.
You should definitely pursue that along with progressive resistance.
They say progressive resistance creates myofibrillar hypertrophy.
Give it a try for 6 months or so.

###

However, I may also sneak in a secret: do you want visible results of inflating your shoulders and upper arms to a more desirable levels in those 6 months?

Last edited by alpha1 : 4th June 2015 at 13:25.
Old 4th June 2015, 13:48   #3914
Team-BHP Support

Last month my wife clicked this on her mobile when I was in pool. I am a bodyweight calisthenics guy since 1984. I hardly have any visible muscle.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-20150517_165326.jpg
Old 4th June 2015, 14:10   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
However, I may also sneak in a secret: do you want visible results of inflating your shoulders and upper arms to a more desirable levels in those 6 months?
I really hope you aren't being sarcastic and your response doesn't involve synthol, albutrex etc.

Oh and any suggestions on me getting a pull-up bar. I'd want to get holes drilled in wall and install it. Somebody talked about fasteners n stuff, how does this whole thing work. What do I tell the shopkeeper when looking for a steel bar for pull ups?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks