Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 00:57   #1186
BHPian

Oh the famous 20 rep squat

It's famous for people passing out and vomiting once done but it sure works.
This is your heaviest possible squat that you would do 3-4 reps with but you do 20. Not allowed to rack the bar but allowed to rest as long as you want between sets.

Your going into powerlifting and pro bodybuilding range with 820lbs squats, do tell us more.

Shan2nu, check if thats pounds or kilos. bench pressing 240lbs is impressive.

Quote:
Pardon my gym-lingo ignorance, but what do these numbers mean?
I try not to keep up with the lingo but it means repetitions/weight in pounds

1kg=2.2 pounds
Old 18th April 2009, 01:11   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu, check if thats pounds or kilos. bench pressing 240lbs is impressive.
Everything is in kgs.

For the barbel bench press i use

2 plates of 20kgs = 40kgs
2 plates of 15kgs = 30kgs
4 plates of 10kgs = 40kgs
2 plates of 5kgs = 10kgs

So 40 + 30 + 40 + 10 = 120kgs.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 18th April 2009 at 01:14.
Old 18th April 2009, 01:20   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
is that TWENTYY reps of 820 pounds??? I think this counts as .

If I were a mod, i'd sue you an infraction. Not to flame you or anything, the ""Bodybuilders" you're referring to- workout with them once and it'll bear on you what each kilo CAN be. Maybe I'm taking this personally, but come down here, let me show you what a 40kg benchpress is made of!
Didn't mean to offend you, but I was talking about the chicken-legged people who only do upper body workouts with any conviction and prefer to sleep through their lower-body workouts. I prefer strength-gain using heavier weights. I did read in an earlier post that you don't use "very heavy weights" (forgive me for my wordings if I'm offending you in any way) in your variations. Different views I guess, since I look up to powerlifting (nowhere close to the standards, but I try) and a few of my variations are taken from that discipline.

I stopped doing isolation exercises a few months ago and only do 3-4 sets of compound movements with heavy weights. If you're talking about using light weights with compound movements, then I'm not going engage in any debate because I'm happy with my own methods and don't want to argue for no reason. If you are assuming that I work out like the rest of the regular gym people (squats where the legs don't bend more than 10-15 degrees, bench presses where the bar doesn't move up/down more than 5-6 inches), then I'd request you to stop doing so. I make sure that my form is very correct, go upto parallel and sometimes, below parallel in squats and don't cheat.

Sorry for the long post. Good night

Last edited by pranavt : 18th April 2009 at 01:21.
Old 18th April 2009, 01:24   #1189
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have been working out for more than 8 years now, i have lost weight and gained and agian lost weight. One thing i can tell you is that never and I MEAN NEVER, rely on machine to gain strength or measure your strenght . You would increase your strenght if you are doing your basics right. I mean Pushups, chinups and barbells, not including dumbles as they would be used to inhance muscle defination rather strength.
When you are doing chinups that would shock your ARMS like hell, you would be pulling your own weight which would be much more than what you would use in a barbell curl or dumbels. This is one hell of an execise , more reps you can do more strenght you would have.
Same goes for pushups but the major thing to do remember is to do that in the right manner, hands close to each other and lower body straight and parallel to the ground, one could also do the same using three chairs in T position, it works as GAJJNI used to do that..
Old 18th April 2009, 01:26   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
(squats where the legs don't bend more than 10-15 degrees, bench presses where the bar doesn't move up/down more than 5-6 inches), then I'd request you to stop doing so. I make sure that my form is very correct, go upto parallel and sometimes, below parallel in squats and don't cheat.
parallel (or sometimes below) is the perfect way of doing squats - i wonder why someone would not go a$$ to the grass on squats 10-15 degrees is just pointless !
Old 18th April 2009, 01:28   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Hi Guys,
I have been working out for more than 8 years now, i have lost weight and gained and agian lost weight. One thing i can tell you is that never and I MEAN NEVER, rely on machine to gain strength or measure your strenght . You would increase your strenght if you are doing your basics right. I mean Pushups, chinups and barbells, not including dumbles as they would be used to inhance muscle defination rather strength.
When you are doing chinups that would shock your ARMS like hell, you would be pulling your own weight which would be much more than what you would use in a barbell curl or dumbels. This is one hell of an execise , more reps you can do more strenght you would have.
Same goes for pushups but the major thing to do remember is to do that in the right manner, hands close to each other and lower body straight and parallel to the ground, one could also do the same using three chairs in T position, it works as GAJJNI used to do that..
Bodyweight exercises have their place, but your strength will only go upto where you can do those workouts at your bodyweight comfortably. A 100kg benchpress by a 80kg fellow is going to tax him more than a regular push-up. Same with a 90kg guy doing 200kg squats. Muscle growth is the outcome of strength and strength is the outcome of muscle growth. Go beyond your bodyweight and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi
parallel (or sometimes below) is the perfect way of doing squats - i wonder why someone would not go a$$ to the grass on squats 10-15 degrees is just pointless !
And yet there's this guy in the gym who does 300lbs squats but the only movement I see in his legs is when he's racking/unracking the bar. I swear to God, he just stands there and breathes, almost motionless, and increases the count.

Last edited by pranavt : 18th April 2009 at 01:30.
Old 18th April 2009, 01:44   #1192
BHPian

I meant that we should stick to basics as well, sometimes when we have been working out from a long time we forget the basics and stick to advanced weight training.
All i meant was not to forget the basics.
Old 18th April 2009, 04:33   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't mean to offend you
Hey, I wasn't!

Quote:
If you are assuming that I work out like the rest of the regular gym people (squats where the legs don't bend more than 10-15 degrees, bench presses where the bar doesn't move up/down more than 5-6 inches) ....
Add to that tricep pushdowns that move the butt, bicep curls that sway the hips, shoulder press that jerks the knee... and what do we have? A Jock! But its a pitiful exercise, to watch such people, when I can not say for sure whether or not I have NEVER done what they are doing. Every few months I look back at myself and say " How Stupid Can You Be?".
Old 18th April 2009, 14:29   #1194
BHPian

Hold it guys, It was meant to show the personal best and I just did that. I dont mean to test any machin capabilities or so, but I have a personal trainer who knows me capabilities and has taken me to this level in one years time and not overnight. Secondly I need a good lower body workout as per my body structure and most importantly to increase my metabolism, the main reason for a high intensity workout. I have not gone directly to 20 reps/810 lbs. I have started with 12/15/18 reps and lower lbs.

Even when I have to do stand up squats with barbel weights, I concentrate more on form as I do it on free barbel. So there I dont put in more weights.

As far as others are concerned, I dont compare but anybody performing better then me, I surely take it a motivating factor.

Quote:
is that TWENTYY reps of 820 pounds??? I think this counts as .
Could you please be kind enough to elaborate as to why is this off topic. ????????

Mansi

Last edited by manaa45 : 18th April 2009 at 14:35.
Old 18th April 2009, 15:18   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...But its a pitiful exercise, to watch such people, when I can not say for sure whether or not I have NEVER done what they are doing....
I think everyone has been down that path, at one time or the other. Everyone does stupid things that they can laugh about, a few months/years down the line. The smart ones move out of that phase quickly and start concentrating on form and timing. The change in me came when I dropped a 50lbs dumbbell on my forehead while doing incline-dumbbell-press Didn't really get any hurt apart from a minor cut on my eyebrow but that experience shocked me enough to teach me that I needed to concentrate more on my form.
Old 18th April 2009, 17:03   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Hold it guys...

.... I need a good lower body workout as per my body structure and most importantly to increase my metabolism, the main reason for a high intensity workout.

Could you please be kind enough to elaborate as to why is this off topic. ????????

Mansi
That was a PJ manaaji. On second thought, a VERY pj. Those poundages were so darn high !

If I could suggest a workout to increase metabolism? Using moderate weights, nearly eliminate rest between sets. For example, On the Squat (using free Barbell weights)-- finish your set of 8/10/x reps, rest fo 100sec, and go again. Repeat for 10 sets. The weight on the rack may drop down to below-my-ego-allows levels; sometimes just the empty bar remains .

[But try and finish through to the last set. Not many can.]
Old 18th April 2009, 18:13   #1197
BHPian

Place a bench behind you and go a$$ to bench when doing squats. Helps to go to the same level every rep.

I've seen people go higher/lower between reps which means only one thing, cheating.

Last edited by Gagan.js : 18th April 2009 at 18:15.
Old 18th April 2009, 20:57   #1198
SuperSyn

Quote:
And yet there's this guy in the gym who does 300lbs squats but the only movement I see in his legs is when he's racking/unracking the bar. I swear to God, he just stands there and breathes, almost motionless, and increases the count.
Perhaps that fellow is not doing squats but some kind of isometric (?) work.

Old 18th April 2009, 23:44   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a PJ manaaji. On second thought, a VERY pj. Those poundages were so darn high !

If I could suggest a workout to increase metabolism? Using moderate weights, nearly eliminate rest between sets. For example, On the Squat (using free Barbell weights)-- finish your set of 8/10/x reps, rest fo 100sec, and go again. Repeat for 10 sets. The weight on the rack may drop down to below-my-ego-allows levels; sometimes just the empty bar remains .

[But try and finish through to the last set. Not many can.]
10 sets? Don't have a heavy meal before that workout or half of your food will be around the squat rack. lol

I do a similar workout known as the Tabata method. What you do is keep a large clock in front of you or someone to hold a watch and spot you.
You start when the second-hand of the clock is at 0 and you keep doing your reps until the hand reaches 20 seconds. Then you rest for 10 seconds. Then start and keep going for another 20 seconds. Don't increase/decrease weight between your sets, wastes time. Keep the weight to around 55%-75% of your max.

So you're doing 2 sets every minute, and 10s of rest between every set. Keep doing this for 4 minutes, which is 8 sets of pure ***-kicking. If you're not using very light weights, I guarantee you that you'll either be in a large puddle of sweat or vomit Lots of info available on google:
tabata - Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersyn
Perhaps that fellow is not doing squats but some kind of isometric (?) work.
Nono, the intent to squat is there. He tries to bend his legs, but is too scared to do so. I've seen him squat with less weight (around 160 lbs), where he bends his knees by around 10-15 degrees. Besides, wouldn't an isometric variation mean that his position would be knees-bent for an amount of time rather than standing straight with a heavy barbell and weight on your back/neck?

Last edited by pranavt : 18th April 2009 at 23:50.
Old 19th April 2009, 00:05   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My guess: leg-pressed 18 times 630 lbs of weight. then rested for a while. again went for 18 times, 720 lbs...
Does that equal to doing squats while strapping 630lbs or even 200lbs on the back? I guess not, that's why these numbers didn't make sense to me.

After trying lots crazy excercises since the 80s (Tai-Bo, Bow-Flex, etc), I finally settled into body calithenics since 7 years. Since my primary interest is martial arts, it works well with it. Saves a lot on gym subscription.

Mansi, have you tried normal squats (traditional baskhi without weights)? If not, just see how many you can do at one stretch.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th April 2009 at 09:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks