Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 22:59   #3736
BHPian

Re: Which Fitness Band to go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
I am considering buying a Fitness Band for myself and I have absolutely no insight on these bands.

I am not a fitness freak. The best that I do is walk. But I will be keen to know the calories burnt throughout the day. Some also have a heart rate monitor.

Any guidance/views around how to go about selecting one will be of help!
Dear Mods: I appreciate you would have your reasons for moving this under 'Bodybuilding - exercises...'. However, I have a feeling the query on fitness band had a better chance of views/responses had it been standalone. This is because, I for one will not go under 'Bodybuilding' as is commonly understood to browse for a fitness band. But having said this, yes fitness band would get linked to 'exercise'.
Old 29th September 2014, 23:03   #3737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Yes. But is there a reference point, an ideal? Or certain parameters against which I can measure up? Some people say, if you are able to climb up a few flight of stairs without gasping for breath you are ok. Others say if your measure around your stomach at the belly button is so much, then you are good.
Those are very light parameters. I have heard many versions, and it can vary from medium to ultra hardcore.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/physi...ness-standards

So, don't worry about reference point. Fitness is not a goal, but a journey. Start exercising and keep at it. Try different work out routines and combos.

You can start off with these for example:

1) Pushups - 5 sets (reps depend on your ability)
2) Run-Walk-Run-Walk (100m of each until 1000m)
3) Squats - 5 sets (reps depend on your ability)

Do the squats after the run, not before. Warm up is very very important for squats at your age.

As your strength develops, you can increase the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
This is because, I for one will not go under 'Bodybuilding' as is commonly understood to browse for a fitness band. But having said this, yes fitness band would get linked to 'exercise'.
We have only one thread for exercises and fitness training of any kind. This thread is your best chance to get a reply on fitness band.
Old 30th September 2014, 10:44   #3738
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wait... what happens to functional strength? This is the part I don't understand. If a guy is doing 100 pushups without any supplments, his muscles may not show, but functional strength is still there, isn't? How does functional strength build without muscles?
Don't get me wrong but I don't really understand the concept behind the notion of "functional strength".
Would you call lifting a 50 or 100 kg sandbag / bag of grain functional?
Would you call lifting 10 kg cement bags for continuous 15 minutes functional?
Would you call walking 40 km non stop functional?

I deadlift 100 kg for 20 reps. Takes me about 2-3 minutes. Just because I am lifting a barbell doesn't make it any less functional than sandbag. Perhaps I might be able to lift only 50 kg sandbag because of its shape (and hence improper grip) for 3 minutes. But is it less functional than being able to lift 10 kg cement bags for 15 minutes?

I can walk around with 40kg dumbells in each hand for about a minute or two - but does it make any less functional than walking without any load for hours?
###
Now for the second part, whether the guy takes supplements or not does not help in making the muscles show. The person is able to do 100 pushups without putting on any noticable muscle is because the higher the number of reps or the duration of the activity, the less force muscles need to provide PER REP. Therefore the muscle fibres have less incentive to grow.

It is like comparing walking to sprinting. In a sprint every stride has to provide a gargantuan force against the ground. Hence quads and hamstrings HAVE to grow in size. In walking each stride has to provide considerably less force therefore quads and hamstrings don't grow as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
My doubt is always whether I am healthy. For a normal average 174cm tall 40 year old like me, what should be the target physique? Am just looking at a healthy cheerful life
Only your blood tests can tell whether you are healthy or not. A lot of it is due to genetic factors (like diabetes). A lot is because of lifestyle factor (like body fat levels)
Target physique? You will have to decide.
Activities that will lead to the target physique? Depends on first of all whether the body is actually capable of achieving it.

Last edited by alpha1 : 30th September 2014 at 10:54.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:26   #3739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Don't get me wrong but I don't really understand the concept behind the notion of "functional strength".
Would you call lifting a 50 or 100 kg sandbag / bag of grain functional?
Would you call lifting 10 kg cement bags for continuous 15 minutes functional?
Would you call walking 40 km non stop functional?
It is somewhere in between. Functional strength generally refers to strength that endures for a much longer time. In combat or martial arts competition, it refers to the ability of the person to stay in the fight without falling apart due to exhaustion. Often a weaker/lighter opponent beats a stronger heavier opponent by getting him tired. You may recall the final fight of Rocky IV as example.
Old 30th September 2014, 12:21   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Studio6\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\0 1\clip_image001.gif[/IMG] Don't get me wrong but I don't really understand the concept behind the notion of "functional strength".
Quote:
It is somewhere in between. Functional strength generally refers to strength that endures for a much longer time.
My take on it.
Functional training as opposed to body building is a kind of response to the lack of emphasis on stamina and flexibility in the latter.

For an average Joe likes us a training programme should be a combination of the weight lifting (which will endow us with muscle mass), functional training (for ability to use our body holistically) and flexibility training including low intensity cardio (for stamina) as well sprinting thrown in between.

They actually complement each other. What do you all say?

@Traveller Nayak - Fitness band is something that is best avoided. But take other opinions as well.
Old 30th September 2014, 13:12   #3741
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the 300 workout (or something similar)? If yes, did you get the results that you'd expected?

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/muscle-building-11

Even the beginner 300 workout seems like a bridge too far for me!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th September 2014 at 13:16.
Old 30th September 2014, 13:45   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Has anyone tried the 300 workout (or something similar)? If yes, did you get the results that you'd expected?

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/muscle-building-11

Even the beginner 300 workout seems like a bridge too far for me!

Cheers,
Vikram
LOLWUT!?

To get "300" orWolverine body you need Trenbolone or Winstrol.
(GH15 recommends Tren, says Winny is crap)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.p...497#msg5643497
http://www.eroids.com/forum/general/...brities-cycles
http://purefilmcreative.com/killough...ke-a-girl.html

I haven't tried these days but 4 years back I could do 20 pullups, 50 pushups, 15 kg single arm press for 20 reps, 55 kg deadlifts for 30 reps, 100 squats.

I was nowhere, not even 25% of these fellows (even though I was doing 50-100% of what is written there).

Remember:
Every competitive sportsman and celebrity takes steroids.
This is also a reason why Indians don't fare well in competitive sports. (less steroids, and not taken right from early teenage)
This is also the reason why east european were so strong during the coldwar.
This is also the reason why China today (and US) is so strong.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:19   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
I deadlift 100 kg for 20 reps.
Ahh... I did the same last week. My personal best, and guess what, I have a possible hernia! Will be getting the ultrasound done today.

Any advice/experience?
Old 30th September 2014, 14:30   #3744
Team-BHP Support

What about American Ninja Warriors? They are the epitome of functionally fit people.

http://tv.esquire.com/videos/71287-k...ce-city-finals
Old 30th September 2014, 15:05   #3745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Ahh... I did the same last week. My personal best, and guess what, I have a possible hernia! Will be getting the ultrasound done today.

Any advice/experience?
Congrats for the milestone!
I do sumo style which places very less stress on the backbone. I used to do conventional deadlifts with 125-135kg. Never liked the feeling they gave and the tightness in lower back.

Reduced load and started sumo last year. Never faced any problem till now. (With Sumo you cannot do as heavy as conventional, but you can do higher reps because of less fatigue) So my advice would be cut down by at least 20% do sumo and try to build up from there. Also with sumos you get superb leg biceps much much better than doing endless leg curls.

Quote:
What about American Ninja Warriors? They are the epitome of functionally fit people.

"Anything which has anything to do with of strength and endurance ... " from my previous post.

Did Lance Armstrong ever looked like a Steroid junkie? (he has also taken Growth hormone!!! - something that till 1980s only bodybuilders, powerlifters and weightlifters were taking)
http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/2...sed-of-taking/

Just imagine if severe testing regimes/schedules of Olympics is unable to determine steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, what happens in MMA and contests like Ninja warriors is anyone's guess.

Last edited by alpha1 : 30th September 2014 at 15:07.
Old 30th September 2014, 15:21   #3746
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats for the milestone!
I do sumo style which places very less stress on the backbone. I used to do conventional deadlifts with 125-135kg. Never liked the feeling they gave and the tightness in lower back.

Reduced load and started sumo last year. Never faced any problem till now. (With Sumo you cannot do as heavy as conventional, but you can do higher reps because of less fatigue) So my advice would be cut down by at least 20% do sumo and try to build up from there. Also with sumos you get superb leg biceps much much better than doing endless leg curls.
Well thanks for the advice, which is more of a post-surgery/recovery advice!
Old 19th November 2014, 11:36   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

I have noticed whenever i do heavy exercise which puts stress on the stomach area i end with tummy problems which are too embarrassing to mention here.What could be the work around this ? I find this happens mostly only for back squats, dead lifts, hack squats etc.Anything more than 5X3 repetition with any weights (eg 20 to 40 kgs) and i get the stomach issues. Any tips to resolve said issue ?

Thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th November 2014 at 11:40.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:01   #3748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello guys,

I have noticed whenever i do heavy exercise which puts stress on the stomach area i end with tummy problems which are too embarrassing to mention here.What could be the work around this ? I find this happens mostly only for back squats, dead lifts, hack squats etc.Anything more than 5X3 repetition with any weights (eg 20 to 40 kgs) and i get the stomach issues. Any tips to resolve said issue ?

Thanks
You might have to embarrass yourself and mention the exact problem!

If its abdominal pain (mostly lower abdomen, or groin area), this mostly translates to weak abdominal/pelvic muscles. For immediate relief, cold therapy works. If the pain stays, avoid exercises which put high stress on the core and let the muscle repair. Then work on strengthening your core muscles.

Anything which is not pain, but related to gas/farting/etc. should not happen ideally. I could if you are eating something wrong pre-workout which is causing acid build-up while working-out. But then again, that shouldn't happen only during squats/deadlifts.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:04   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post

If its abdominal pain....
It's not pain more like constipation etc.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:35   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It's not pain more like constipation etc.
I wonder if there is any relation between the two. Though am not an expert but would suggest you to look at the diet. Perhaps its either high in simple carb or very low in carb. Or may be deficient in fibre. Would suggest add fruit (roughage such as apple with skin), increase your veg intake (but cautiously because certain green veg could lead to gas formation), sweet potato etc. Plus drink lots of water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks