Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 22:40   #4036
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ugh. I had resumed gym after two weeks of this. Of course nothing heavy for the back and overall a lighter load for rest of the muscles too. I was extra careful about my form so that there was no stress on the lower back. Even bought a bicycle last Saturday. And then hurt my lower back again by playing volleyball later that day
You might want to look into acquiring a weightlifting belt (4-inch width) for your deadlifting pursuits. It makes the whole process much more safer since it holds your spine and abdominals tightly in place. You can probably wear it during other activities too when stress is to be placed on the lower back.
Old 12th August 2015, 22:57   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
You might want to look into acquiring a weightlifting belt (4-inch width) for your deadlifting pursuits. It makes the whole process much more safer since it holds your spine and abdominals tightly in place. You can probably wear it during other activities too when stress is to be placed on the lower back.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I am lifting anywhere near the range that would require a belt. I need to concentrate on my form enough so that it becomes second nature. A belt may help temporarily but I would run the risk of depending on the belt to keep me safe rather than my form.
Old 12th August 2015, 23:05   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I am lifting anywhere near the range that would require a belt. I need to concentrate on my form enough so that it becomes second nature. A belt may help temporarily but I would run the risk of depending on the belt to keep me safe rather than my form.
The belt I believe is more for safety than for lifting heavier than you can, the range where you might require a belt is dependent person to person and not according to weight. I would recommend the use of a belt since you have already faced back problems and wearing the belt actually forces you to remain in proper form. Consider them as training wheels, it will definitely help you learn better posture but it is on yourself to lose the belt once you think your posture is right.

I faced some trouble with my wrists (car knocked me off my bicycle, saved myself by landing on my hands, imagine flying push-up ) and since then started using wrist wraps while bench pressing. I was using them for nearly 2 months, but one day I decided to do a workout without them to see if the pain is still there (could be a deeper problem) and I surprised myself by actually pushing 10 more lbs than usual since my wrists were rock solid in position.

Last edited by jalajprakash : 12th August 2015 at 23:06.
Old 12th August 2015, 23:22   #4039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The belt I believe is more for safety than for lifting heavier than you can
Hmmmm. That's a good point though. No harm in trying it out as I ease myself back into the routine. Just remind me to try without the belt after some time
Old 12th August 2015, 23:28   #4040
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmmm. That's a good point though. No harm in trying it out as I ease myself back into the routine. Just remind me to try without the belt after some time
For sure! I like to think of all safety equipment as things that force me to remain in the right posture when I am pushing weight (light or heavy). I recently invested in some Squat shoes since I am squatting every day under my program. The way they keep your feet planted is almost magical, it's not assisting me in lifting the weight in any way but since I don't have to worry about falling back or over, I can focus harder on bringing the weight back up.
Old 13th August 2015, 09:02   #4041

Why Cardio Sucks & You Don’t Need To Do It
http://www.musclehack.com/why-cardio...#comment-98479
Old 13th August 2015, 10:25   #4042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For sure! I like to think of all safety equipment as things that force me to remain in the right posture when I am pushing weight (light or heavy). I recently invested in some Squat shoes since I am squatting every day under my program. The way they keep your feet planted is almost magical, it's not assisting me in lifting the weight in any way but since I don't have to worry about falling back or over, I can focus harder on bringing the weight back up.
Could you kindly provide the link for the squat shoes?

Also, I have a history of back issues so i am thinking of buying a weight lifting belt. Any recommendations on which one to buy?
Old 13th August 2015, 17:50   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Could you kindly provide the link for the squat shoes?

Also, I have a history of back issues so i am thinking of buying a weight lifting belt. Any recommendations on which one to buy?
http://www.reebok.com/us/men-crossfit-shoes Take your pick off of Reebok's crossfit line. They're Olympic shoes also known as Squat Shoes. I personally own the Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.0 and can vouch for their awesomeness. Cory Gregory, the Owner of MusclePharm also wears the same exact shoes while lifting.

As for the weight lifting belt, good names I've heard are Valeo, Harbinger, Rise but any belt made of real leather that is about 6 to 8 inches in width (at the point where it is supporting your back, it can taper on the front) and about 0.25 inches thick should work. You also want double buckle hooks since that is way more stable than single buckle hook. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 14th August 2015, 12:39   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanandb View Post
Why Cardio Sucks & You Don’t Need To Do It
http://www.musclehack.com/why-cardio...#comment-98479
Cardio sucks because it is difficult to do and almost all humans are lazy.
I don't agree with you about the don't need to do it part, because human being have evolved for stamina and not strength.

Most animals can run faster than humans. But most animals cannot run for as much duration as humans.

Most animals have POOR cooling mechanism (mainly panting, using lungs as heat exchanger). Humans have very efficient cooling mechanism involving sweating over the entire body (plus panting and therefore lungs also for heat exchange)!

Ever wonder why humans don't have as much of body hair as compared to similar animals?

The point is that in due course of evolution, it was more important for us to walk, jog, run. Than to lift heavy stones. If we wanted to defeat or kill to fill stomachs, we used brains.

The only "strength" based activities that were rewarding for us were sparring (in order to mate with that desirable woman) and perhaps throwing (stones, spears etc).

###

In one of your previous post, you had mentioned Super slow training protocol.
Which employs super slow rep speed in this fashion:
a) Take 5 kg dumbells, lift up slowly taking 10 seconds, and lower is back slowly in 5 seconds.
Do 4-5 reps.

Can you explain how this protocol is different from the below (used by bodybuilders):
b) Take 5 kg dumbells, lift up with normal pace (typically 1-2 seconds), and lower is back at normal pace (1-2 seconds).
Do 20-25 reps.

What would be the differences in methodologies (a) and (b) with respect to effect on nervous system, the muscle fibers, and the blood capillaries? In addition, what difference is in the energy demand between the two protocols.

Last edited by alpha1 : 14th August 2015 at 12:49.
Old 15th August 2015, 22:01   #4045

@alpha1. Very well expressed indeed. You have raised some very interesting and thought provoking issues concerning the articles in the two posts.
---------------------------------------------------------
“…and almost all humans are lazy.”
I don’t know about others, but I certainly am.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I don't agree with you about…"
In one of your previous post, you had mentioned…"
Can you explain how…”
The views in the two posts are those of the authors of the articles.
I am merely the one who posted them.
So, I can hardly explain anything – and certainly not better than the two eminent authors.
However, I shall attempt to help you find the information that may address the issues raised by you.
------------------------------------------------------------
1. Why Cardio Sucks & You Don’t Need To Do It
The points noted by you in support of walking/jogging/running are excellent.
However, the context of the first two sections of the article by Mark McManus, is different.
The context is fat loss and muscle gains i.e. bodybuilding – which is the title of this thread.
He explains that for the purpose of bodybuilding, cardio is seldom required.

The third section is where you probably differ with the views of the author.
In this section the author explains why “Weight lifting IS a form of cardio. Not only that, but it’s a better form of cardio…than cardio!”
He has given his reasoning for saying so.
To support his explanation, the author has also given two references in the text and two at the end of the article.
Also, there are Related Posts – that are worthy of perusal.
And, in the Conclusion he has noted that
By understanding cell metabolism, we see that resistance/weight-training is an extremely effective form of cardio…and can be even better than cardio/aerobics for cardiovascular improvements.”
So, he does seem to have done his homework.
Besides, he has stated that:
“I’d like to just make 2 quick points before concluding.
If cardio is fun for you. If it’s a social thing. Or you find it improves your well-being, go ahead and do it.
Also, if you are a cyclist or need to train for a specific sport, then you need to do that specific sport eg. running, cycling, swimming. Your nervous system has to learn and become efficient and skilled at these movements, so you cannot rely on weight-training in such circumstances.”

2. Super slow training protocol.
“…how this protocol is different…”
I assume you mean how it is better/more beneficial.
Amongst other reasons, Dr Doug McGuff has noted in the article that:
“Recent research performed by Dr. Wayne Wescott compared the SuperSlow™ protocol to standard repetition speed resistance training and noted a 50% better strength gain in the SuperSlow™ group.(8).
The researchers were so astounded that they later repeated the study and were able to reproduce the results.(9).”

About rep range.
My understanding is that bodybuilders do not usually perform 20-25 reps per set.
In general, they perform around 4 to 6 reps to concentric failure for strength gains, and around 8 to 12 reps to concentric failure for hypertrophy.

“What would be the differences in methodologies (a) and (b) with respect to effect on nervous system, the muscle fibers, and the blood capillaries? In addition, what difference is in the energy demand between the two protocols.”
The book ‘Body by Science’ explains all this in great detail.
The authors are Doug McGuff, MD and John Little, and it’s available on Amazon.
It’s worth reading.
The reviews are at:
http://www.amazon.com/product-review...owViewpoints=1

3. On the subject of running.
The following are interesting – for bodybuilders, as well as for those wanting to enhance health:

Walking versus running
By Dr John Briffa on 29 August 2014
http://www.drbriffa.com/2014/08/29/walking-versus-running/

Cardio-respiratory Fitness and Your Health and Longevity:
A Scientific Approach

http://www.ageless-athletes.com/aerobics_and_health.php

No Such thing as Cardio
http://www.cbass.com/NoCardio.htm

There's No Such Thing as Cardio

Long Distance Running: Avoid this Popular Exercise as it Shrinks your Muscle and Accelerates Aging
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/01/06/dr-doug-mcguff-on-exercise.aspx

CARDIOVASCULAR ADAPTATIONS
http://www.ultimate-exercise.com/cv.html
-------------------------------------------
Old 18th August 2015, 09:14   #4046

Optimum nutrition is considered by bodybuilders to be important – both for muscle gain, and for fat loss.
In the context of fat loss, here’s what I found in the book ‘Textbook of Medical Physiology’, Eleventh Edition.
The authors are Guyton & Hall
Since the book is now into its 13th edition, it must be quite a bestseller. In fact, Amazon notes that it’s the world’s foremost medical physiology textbook.
http://www.amazon.com/Guyton-Hall-Te.../dp/1455770051

The following extracts suggest that decreasing the consumption of carbohydrates is essential – especially for fat loss.

Page 961-962
Insulin Is a Hormone Associated with Energy Abundance
As we discuss insulin in the next few pages, it will become apparent that insulin secretion is associated with energy abundance. That is, when there is great abundance of energy-giving foods in the diet, especially excess amounts of carbohydrates, insulin is secreted in great quantity.
In turn, the insulin plays an important role in storing the excess energy.
In the case of excess carbohydrates, it causes them to be stored as glycogen mainly in the liver and muscles.
Also, all the excess carbohydrates that cannot be stored as glycogen are converted under the stimulus of insulin into fats and stored in the adipose tissue.
In the case of proteins, insulin has a direct effect in promoting amino acid uptake by cells and conversion of these amino acids into protein.
In addition, it inhibits the breakdown of the proteins that are already in the cells.

Page 965
Insulin Promotes Fat Synthesis and Storage
Insulin has several effects that lead to fat storage in adipose tissue.
First, insulin increases the utilization of glucose by most of the body’s tissues, which automatically decreases the utilization of fat, thus functioning as a fat sparer.
However, insulin also promotes fatty acid synthesis. This is especially true when more carbohydrates are ingested than can be used for immediate energy, thus providing the substrate for fat synthesis. Almost all this synthesis occurs in the liver cells, and the fatty acids are then transported from the liver by way of the blood lipoproteins to the adipose cells to be stored.
…Insulin activates lipoprotein lipase in the capillary walls of the adipose tissue, which splits the triglycerides again into fatty acids, a requirement for them to be absorbed into the adipose cells, where they are again converted to triglycerides and stored.

Role of Insulin in Storage of Fat in the Adipose Cells.
Insulin has two other essential effects that are required for fat storage in adipose cells:
1. Insulin inhibits the action of hormone-sensitive lipase. This is the enzyme that causes hydrolysis of the triglycerides already stored in the fat cells. Therefore, the release of fatty acids from the adipose tissue into the circulating blood is inhibited.
2. Insulin promotes glucose transport through the cell membrane into the fat cells in exactly the same ways that it promotes glucose transport into muscle cells. Some of this glucose is then used to synthesize minute amounts of fatty acids, but more important, it also forms large quantities of a-glycerol phosphate. This substance supplies the glycerol that combines with fatty acids to form the triglycerides that are the storage form of fat in adipose cells. Therefore, when insulin is not available, even storage of the large amounts of fatty acids transported from the liver in the lipoproteins is almost blocked.

Page 966
Insulin Deficiency Increases Use of Fat for Energy
All aspects of fat breakdown and use for providing energy are greatly enhanced in the absence of insulin…
This occurs even normally between meals when secretion of insulin is minimal, but it becomes extreme in diabetes mellitus when secretion of insulin is almost zero…
Insulin Deficiency Causes Lipolysis of Storage Fat and Release of Free Fatty Acids. In the absence of insulin, all the effects of insulin noted earlier that cause storage of fat are reversed. The most important effect is that the enzyme hormone-sensitive lipase in the fat cells becomes strongly activated. This causes hydrolysis of the stored triglycerides, releasing large quantities of fatty acids and glycerol into the circulating blood.
Consequently, the plasma concentration of free fatty acids begins to rise within minutes. This free fatty acid then becomes the main energy substrate used by essentially all tissues of the body besides the brain.

Page 969-970
Role of Insulin (and Other Hormones) in “Switching” Between Carbohydrate and Lipid Metabolism
From the preceding discussions, it should be clear that insulin promotes the utilization of carbohydrates for energy, whereas it depresses the utilization of fats.
Conversely, lack of insulin causes fat utilization mainly to the exclusion of glucose utilization, except by brain tissue.
Furthermore, the signal that controls this switching mechanism is principally the blood glucose concentration.
When the glucose concentration is low, insulin secretion is suppressed and fat is used almost exclusively for energy everywhere except in the brain.
When the glucose concentration is high, insulin secretion is stimulated and carbohydrate is used instead of fat, and the excess blood glucose is stored in the form of liver glycogen, liver fat, and muscle glycogen.
Therefore, one of the most important functional roles of insulin in the body is to control which of these two foods from moment to moment will be used by the cells for energy.
---------------------------------------------
Old 18th August 2015, 12:18   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanandb View Post
------------------------------------------------------------
1. Why Cardio Sucks & You Don’t Need To Do It
The points noted by you in support of walking/jogging/running are excellent.
However, the context of the first two sections of the article by Mark McManus, is different.
The context is fat loss and muscle gains i.e. bodybuilding – which is the title of this thread.
Even in that context, I think you just need to run an expirement on your self to determine whteher the article that you have mentioned is fluff or real:
A. Do 5 sets of squats till close to failure every alternate day with 90% of your 1 rep max for 6 months.

B. Do 5 sets of squats till close to failure every alternate day with 40-50% of your 1 rep max for 6 months.

Compare your results (fat loss, as well as muscle diameter)on A protcol vs B protocol.

Or perhaps if the above (working with weights) is difficult to make a connection with the usual cardio activities:

A. Do 5 sets of 50 m sprints every alernate day for 6 months

B. Do 5 sets of 500 m sprints every alternate day for 6 months

Compare your fat loss results in both cases.

Quote:
About rep range.
My understanding is that bodybuilders do not usually perform 20-25 reps per set.
In general, they perform around 4 to 6 reps to concentric failure for strength gains, and around 8 to 12 reps to concentric failure for hypertrophy.
I think you have misunderstood the whole 8-12 reps concept used by bodybuilders.
They typically do 4-8 sets of 8-12 reps.

For simplicity lets freeze it at 5 sets of 10 reps.
The weights used to complete 5x10 will be much less than the weights used to complete 1 set of 10 reps.

Therefore, the weights used by bodybuilders may be anything from 30% to 70% of the max loads.

The weights used by Super slow protocol is also in a similar range.
Therefore, unless there is actually a benefit using a metronome to time the rep speed, why would anyone make a shift?

Fine, you have posted a few articles where studies have done to demonstrate efficacy of super slow over other. I also have studies that demonstrate that there is no significant difference.
Again, the best way is to experiment on your self and see the results.
Old 20th August 2015, 15:09   #4048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Even in that context, I think you just need to run an expirement on your self to determine whteher the article that you have mentioned is fluff or real....

Fine, you have posted a few articles where studies have done to demonstrate efficacy of super slow over other. I also have studies that demonstrate that there is no significant difference.
Again, the best way is to experiment on your self and see the results.
Fully agree, specially with the last line.

Bodybuilders and weightlifters, everyone in this game experiments with what works best for their bodies.

Results may vary and they are bound to. I will again say ad nauseam; people at least on this thread should also share their pics, of the improvements they make etc., but none are shared.

I see a lot of knowledgeable and experienced advice here too, but how much has been put to the test is again a matter of debate.

I for once have rarely done cardio, most often because I find it boring or I barely have any time left after my weight training.

Even the weights tire me out, make me sweat and swole etc., so I have always kept cardio limited to about 20 minutes of Elliptical or Stationary Bike, or worst case the Treadmill.

Past 3 weeks I have taken to running with a friend, about 8kms, on Sundays. Finished 7.28 kms in 50 mins, and was dead after that.

But I realized I also got weaker over the past 3 weeks.

I Squat 315 for 5-6 reps, Deadlift 365 for 2-4 reps on my main sets regularly but found it hard to go that weight these past 2 weeks. But I tweaked my sets to incorporate more reps with lower weights in the 10-15 range.

My training is a mix of rep ranges for strength and size/muscularity, so definitely this long distance running is not helping me out - and I did not read and believe, I experimented and realized.

I also realized that I was training Legs on Saturday and running on Sunday, so that was a lot of collective fatigue building up, and I am planning to alter my weekly schedule a bit, or if not then maybe run shorter distance on Sunday.

So the point is, and going back to what alpha1 said:- anyone can post articles, and you'll find many contrasting ones out there. It is experience and results that matter.
Old 21st August 2015, 16:31   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I saw some nice weight lifting belts in Decathlon.
Old 27th August 2015, 02:37   #4050
BHPian

Hi Guys

I'm 27, 5'10" and weigh 81 kgs. Recently I have joined gym with the main aim of losing some fat from the belly, tone body muscles and perhaps gain some muscle mass. I'm not into body building and my main aim is to stay fit and toned. My gym routine is doing about 20 minutes cardio on treadmill/cross-trainer/roving machine followed by weight training(moderate) a single body part a day. I can't spend more than 80-90 minutes per day in the gym so have asked the instructor to keep it 1 body part per day.

I have not made any significant change in my diet, apart from avoiding junk food and rice and adding 2 egg whites after the gym. I've been thinking of adding a protein supplement in form of either ON Whey Protein Powder supplement or protein bars in my diet.

I need advice if I should add the supplements or continue without them. And if I should make any change in my routine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks