Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 18:01   #4501
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

After Aamir Khan, now Sunil Shetty is flexing his muscles...

http://www.storypick.com/suniel-shetty-the-beast/
Old 25th April 2017, 12:31   #4502
BHPian

Hello all,

I am new here

Until recently, I have never thought about physical fitness / core strength, seriously enough.

I am 32, 5'7" 67kg mid size frame - with some fat around the waist, a bit more on the tummy.
Since my recent (short) treks & outdoors exposure, I have observed that my overall stamina/strength isn't as much as I thought it was!

I get tired too soon.
My medicals have been well within the limits. Only this time, it showed lesser levels of B12. (I am at 120 - whereas normal range seems to be 200~500 pg/mL)
In my entire life, I have only done light cardio and basic exercises for 2 years (this was 5 years ago).
I learnt then, that I have a higher rest & max heart-rate than usual range.
RHR- 70bpm, MaxHR - 200~220 bpm.

My weight has always been between 62-69kg, since past 8-10 years.

I hit my max weight, 3 years ago.
I quit all non-vegetarian food, eggs, and cut down on junk food/sweet stuff/greasy food since last 3 years (and hence weight has been stable between 66-67). This involved NO exercise, just diet & food portion control.
I maintain good food intake, with largest portion at breakfast, lesser at lunch and absolutely minimal at dinner.

-----------

Now, my focus is to gain and sustain good physical endurance, stamina & athletic/ripped build.

I would like to initiate myself towards this goal, through martial arts / active training to achieve a basic capacity of self-defense.

Let the suggestions pour in.

Thank you,

Ace.
Old 25th April 2017, 18:11   #4503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I get tired too soon....Only this time, it showed lesser levels of B12. (I am at 120 - whereas normal range seems to be 200~500 pg/mL)
Before going ahead with increasing stamina using exercises etc, I would strongly suggest that you work on increasing your B12 levels medically. That would ensure your tiredness and fatigue levels are decreased. 120 is on the lower side and you need to be above 200-300 as you rightly pointed out. Once this is fixed, you can maintain the B12 levels and also exercise to ensure your stamina is maintained.
Old 17th May 2017, 21:15   #4504
BHPian

Guys, need advice.

I started cycling 3 years ago for weight reduction / fitness. Used to go for cycling 6 days a week. As daily routine of cycling started to become boring and I have pretty much achieved my target weight, I started going to Gym 3 days (alternate) week while rest of the days for cycling. The objective was to work on upper body only, in the gym, building some muscle mass.

Below are some of the questions I have.
1. Can I do exercises for arms, shoulder, chest, back on all 3 days? May be couple of exercises for each part? Or I should target one part on a day?
2. Is there a set sequence while doing the parts? Like, shoulder should be done first then chest and so on or I can follow any sequence?
3. On many websites, I have seen multiple exercises targeting the same body part in the workout plan for the same day. For e.g. one plan had incline barbell presses as well as incline dumbbell presses. If both target Pectoralis, then why not do all the sets using one of the two methods?

Last edited by shipnil : 17th May 2017 at 21:17.
Old 1st June 2017, 00:07   #4505
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone ever had a Straight Bar used for the Triceps workout break in two?

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-whatsapp-image-20170531-8.26.51-pm.jpeg

I was doing this exercise with 40 kilos loaded

This is a regular workout for me and I have used this machine many times in the past.
The first two reps were clean and then it went bam.
Luckily escaped with a very minor cut on my forehead, but am curious.
Has anyone ever seen this kind of break happen.
Old 1st June 2017, 14:31   #4506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
1. Can I do exercises for arms, shoulder, chest, back on all 3 days? May be couple of exercises for each part? Or I should target one part on a day?
With 1 day rest in between you would be good with any kind of routine unless you are a newbie and wish to deadlift & achieve PRs every alternate day, that'd be a little too much.
Quote:
2. Is there a set sequence while doing the parts? Like, shoulder should be done first then chest and so on or I can follow any sequence?
Big muscles first is the preference and this way the smaller muscles get warmed up too. Bench press followed by a shoulder press is better just because the anterior delt is warmed up already.
Quote:
3. On many websites, I have seen multiple exercises targeting the same body part in the workout plan for the same day. For e.g. one plan had incline barbell presses as well as incline dumbbell presses. If both target Pectoralis, then why not do all the sets using one of the two methods?
Barbell & dumbbells usually have different objectives. Variety is good and dumbbells ensure that the strong side is not able to compensate for the weak side which is the case in a barbell. However, after a while you just can't use dumbbells because heavy lifting is easy on a barbell than a dumbbell.
Old 1st June 2017, 16:52   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
With 1 day rest in between ..
Thanks fine69! Much appreciated! It has cleared many doubts in my mind. It will greatly help me to formulate a schedule.
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:55   #4508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Attachment 1644800

I was doing this exercise with 40 kilos loaded[/url]

This is a regular workout for me and I have used this machine many times in the past.
Rare occasion, could be due to wear and tear etc or poor quality.

40 kilos is big weight for Triceps Extension.
I've had cables snapping all the time, had local made Barbells breaking on Squats etc and many more such instances, even metal plates breaking.
Happens once in a while I'd say.

Last edited by bblost : 4th June 2017 at 13:08. Reason: Removed embedded video inside quoted post.
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:21   #4509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Rare occasion, could be due to wear and tear etc or poor quality.

I did a lot of googling and found no other instances. I think it must have been a manufacturing defect that caused this.

Am just feeling very lucky that I was not in the direct return path of the cable. The minor cut on my forehead might have ended up taking my eye out.

This is just a warning for everyone. Always take care of your relative position with regard to the weights.
Old 20th June 2017, 15:58   #4510
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone recently bought supplements from Alfa in Mumbai? Are they genuine?
Old 20th June 2017, 16:59   #4511
BHPian

Mods: This is slight OT but I couldn't find correct thread to post it. Kindly remove this post if not appropriate for this thread.

A day or two before, I saw the news on television with a CCTV footage of Gym, about a youngster died after few push ups in the gym at Nasik.

Has anyone got any information about it ? Is it result of not performing proper warm up before exercise ? What could be the reason ?

Last edited by Aditya : 21st June 2017 at 07:59. Reason: Merged posts
Old 20th June 2017, 17:33   #4512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 View Post
Has anyone got any information about it ? Is it result of not performing proper warm up before exercise ? What could be the reason ?
Very simple. He had an heart attack while doing push ups. That doesn't mean push ups caused an heart attack.

Push ups are probably the most popular and most widely used strength training workout around the world. It is a strenuous workout. If you do it while having a weak heart, you could get into trouble. I suspect that is what happened.
Old 29th June 2017, 11:51   #4513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Gyms are being opened up in every nook and corner and profit margins are low, so most resort to sub-standard equipment nowadays though they might appear well made from outside. Always stay cautious in the gym and keep your movements away from your face, especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hello all,

I am new here

Until recently, I have never thought about physical fitness / core strength, seriously enough.

I am 32, 5'7" 67kg mid size frame - with some fat around the waist, a bit more on the tummy.
Since my recent (short) treks & outdoors exposure, I have observed that my overall stamina/strength isn't as much as I thought it was!
-----------

Now, my focus is to gain and sustain good physical endurance, stamina & athletic/ripped build.
You are 32, 5'7" and weigh 67kg. Your metabolism and muscle recovery is starting to go on a decline. Set a realistic goal. Watch your diet, probably 3 meals a day and workout(45min to 1 hour) for 4 days and take a day off. Keep the intensity consistent every day, even a slight increase can tire you and impact the schedule for rest of the days. Stay consistent and take a week break once every 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Has anyone recently bought supplements from Alfa in Mumbai? Are they genuine?
I hope you are trying supplements as a last resort. Joining a gym, lifting for 3 months and thinking about supplements owning to no progress is the trend these days. Do not fall for it. Muscle building is a long painful but enjoyable process. Work hard, stay consistent and be patient. Eventually it will lead to success in most cases. Try supplements only if this doesn't work out.
Old 29th June 2017, 12:15   #4514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I hope you are trying supplements as a last resort. Joining a gym, lifting for 3 months and thinking about supplements owning to no progress is the trend these days. Do not fall for it. Muscle building is a long painful but enjoyable process. Work hard, stay consistent and be patient. Eventually it will lead to success in most cases. Try supplements only if this doesn't work out.
I disagree with you, what does supplementation have to do with the amount to time you have spent in the gym? what you gave is pure bro science. Workout only constitutes 30% of the muscle building process rest 70% is the diet and rest. I hear this a lot that you have to spend at least 1 year in gym without any supplementation, which does not have any scientific basis. Supplementation is the best way to control macros, and your diet cannot provide you the requisites without pushing unwanted macros into your body. If you ask me, you can start to supplement the day you feel you are serious about your goals and one mostly needs only 3 supplements, whether amateur or Pro. Rest all are good to have.

Pramod
Old 29th June 2017, 13:10   #4515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I disagree with you, what does supplementation have to do with the amount to time you have spent in the gym? what you gave is pure bro science. Workout only constitutes 30% of the muscle building process rest 70% is the diet and rest. I hear this a lot that you have to spend at least 1 year in gym without any supplementation, which does not have any scientific basis. Supplementation is the best way to control macros, and your diet cannot provide you the requisites without pushing unwanted macros into your body. If you ask me, you can start to supplement the day you feel you are serious about your goals and one mostly needs only 3 supplements, whether amateur or Pro. Rest all are good to have.

Pramod
I was very physically active since childhood days, started gym when I was 17 and I'm on my 15th year in my gym now and I'm pretty consistent. I was around 60kg when I started and right now weigh around 100kg and stand at 6'2". Not a pinch of supplement so far. And I can do some serious weights and can still increase my weight if I want to. I used to deep squat 225kg till a couple of years back.

Also, my sister is a Doctorate in nutrition and was a very popular nutritionist in Chennai. So I know what I'm talking about. Please read my posts in this thread, I've made a few lengthy ones already(few require corrections based on my learning).

There is a trend going on in many health forums terming most things as bro-science. Easy to do that since there are hardly any scientific facts on health and human body as there are innumerable factors(that impacts) such as genetics, diet practices, individual metabolism, etc that varies across races.

When asked for suggestions, I always maintain:

1. You are your best tutor.

2. Only you know how your body is reacting and responding.

3. No two bodies are the same. Even your body is not the same everyday. It is ageing everyday.

4. There is no one size-fit-all workout regimes and diet regimes.

5. In most cases, the best person to give advice is the one who has already achieved the target you are aiming for.

I'm a proponent of not just physical well being but also mental well being. Highly strenuous workouts can cause severe mood swings due to electrolytes drain and other factors, but nobody talks about it. Is that what you want? Nobody talks about the impact it has on the rest of your day and how you react with people.

I always just give a direction, it is you who have to decide what is best for you.

And regards to supplement, I suggest resort to it only after a genuine attempt at natural bodybuilding. Reasons -

1. It doesn't make you look at health and well-being as a long term practice. Good quality supplements are expensive and could be unsustainable for many. And over a period, the cost can even become a de-motivator for hitting the gym.

2. Off supplements and off goes all the muscles.

3. Nobody knows what exactly goes into it, not even in the good ones. Do not fall for FDA approved and the likes. What are the tests they do and what is the sample size, the age, race, etc., what is the long term impact, of the people involved

3. To me, it's like a psychological short cut and it can really play with your consistency in gym. As I told you, I suggest health and well-being on long term basis and not on instant gratification.

If you are resorting to supplements, I would suggest have a re-look at what exactly you want and have a long term plan for health and fitness that is sustainable and enjoyable.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 29th June 2017 at 13:16.

Most Viewed