Team-BHP > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2020, 14:41   #901
AZT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bombay
Posts: 356
Thanked: 1,454 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Who exactly are you comparing/contrasting Twitter with when you say here?
Twitter USA and Twitter India speed of taking action against misinformation.
AZT is offline  
Old 17th April 2020, 14:47   #902
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,697
Thanked: 12,274 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
...

The problem with uttering nonsense is many people who watch these channels believe them as true and in turn leads to chaos. The majority of people who believe such "news" unfortunately are from lower strata of society and actually believe them....
While your point is true, the bit in bold is a HUGE misconception!

The unadulterated BS and propaganda I've seen in the last month just in the Whatsapp group of my apartment complex, apparently full of 'educated, well-informed and upmarket' folks, is no better (and often worse) than what we're being fed by mass media.

We're all susceptible, but the uneducated guy on the street at least has a veneer of deniability, didn't know better and probably doesn't have resources to fact-check.

What's the excuse of those who should know better, and have the ability and resources to inform themselves better?

They don't, because they're either too lazy, don't care or worst, they believe media BS because it's just saying out loud what they want to or already believe in their minds anyway.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 16:10   #903
BHPian
 
GeneralJazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL58/TN38
Posts: 402
Thanked: 1,564 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's the excuse of those who should know better, and have the ability and resources to inform themselves better?

They don't, because they're either too lazy, don't care or worst, they believe media BS because it's just saying out loud what they want to or already believe in their minds anyway.
Very valid point! Media has been on a spree, spreading hate and fake news. Even the recent incident in Mumbai has been given a communal angle. This mindless spread of hate is as dangerous, if not more, than any virus. As you rightly said, even the well educated, respected are not immune this hate virus. The spreading of hate speech has become so rampant on social media, that even members of the royal families in Middle Eastern countries have taken note of it. Several Indians have already been dismissed/jailed from their jobs and/or are facing jail time for their posts.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 17th April 2020 at 16:12.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 17:17   #904
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 105
Thanked: 262 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

In India, there is a general belief that if something is being showed on TV NEWS, it is true.

I've faced difficulty in explaining elderly in the family that, each news channel is somewhat associated ( biased ) towards one or the other party and each and every news they show will try to sell negativity towards the other political party and religion in many case.
INJAXN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:04   #905
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beans Town
Posts: 1,816
Thanked: 7,950 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
In India, there is a general belief that if something is being showed on TV NEWS, it is true.
I don't wish to trigger people off, here again, because each time I get a rap on my knuckles if I type anything remotely geopolitical or sociopolitical, so apologies in advance, but I'll try to keep it clean and relevant.

We in this nation are easily tamed, easily conforming and easily hurt if dare we, speak against the media, politicians or public "servants" so to speak. We won't hesitate to slam down and shame our own voting public, to save the reputation of media, politicians and public "servants". This will be the end of us.

End of rant.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:05   #906
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 1,815 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

This is the exact reason why people are advised to stay where they are.
Quote:
A 21-year-old man from Pune, who surreptitiously travelled 370 km on his two-wheeler, sneaking in through three ‘sealed’ district borders to reach Parbhani earlier this week, became the first Covid-19 positive patient in the district which so far had managed to remain in ‘Green Zone’ with no reported case so far.
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...trict-6367055/
If every migrant laborer was allowed to go home there would not have been any green zones in the country. In the process the govt would have put lives of thousands of innocent villagers at risk.

Last edited by poloman : 17th April 2020 at 20:07.
poloman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:17   #907
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 993 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This is the exact reason why people are advised to stay where they are.
Sure. But what about food? These are mostly people who don't eat when they don't work
carboy is offline  
Old 17th April 2020, 20:19   #908
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DEL, SFO
Posts: 573
Thanked: 1,596 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Not to pick on the USA, I heard somewhere that Golf course is open and allowed. On the pizza delivery episode, people can be really irrational in evaluating risks. Unfortunately the area where this happened is so rich that most of the people there will be last to get impacted by any economic meltdown. This also partly explains why the orders were from one concentrated area.
There is very little risk in going golfing or going out to any park. In fact some exercise and outing is good for your physical and mental health and should be encouraged. Coming to pizza delivery, there is very little risk there as well. None of the customers got infected from the delivery person. When some one delivers, you are not going to hug them, stay with them for any extended period in an enclosed space or otherwise go close to their face. You can wear a mask or if you are still paranoid, you can ask the delivery person to leave it outside your door. There really isn't much risk of food born transmission as per WHO. If you want to be further safe, open the pizza box, wash hands with soap, transfer pizza to a plate and then warm it in a microwave or an oven. Dispose the box and wash hands again. There is negligible risk in ordering any kind of food especially hot and cooked food.
Lobogris is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:20   #909
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 1,815 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Sure. But what about food? These are mostly people who don't eat when they don't work
How are they planning to eat if they go home? Either case no work.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:24   #910
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 993 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
How are they planning to eat if they go home?

1. They grow their food in their villages

2. Things are cheaper in rural areas
carboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:28   #911
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 153
Thanked: 383 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
We're all susceptible, but the uneducated guy on the street at least has a veneer of deniability, didn't know better and probably doesn't have resources to fact-check.
When a lot of hatred & fear is spread coupled with intimidation and coercion, what can a normal educated person do? Even if he checks all the facts with different sources and finds out the truth, what is he going to do? Who will help him? Nobody in this current environment. Instead he might get into trouble for finding out the truth.

Last edited by ajmat : 18th April 2020 at 09:04. Reason: Reworded to be less political
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:33   #912
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 1,815 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
1. They grow their food in their villages

2. Things are cheaper in rural areas
No comments. but if things were so rosy in villages, most of these people would not have left. Many are landless.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:44   #913
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 653
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
1. They grow their food in their villages

2. Things are cheaper in rural areas
Many of the labourers were spoken to by the correspondents from the various TV channels and almost all of them said that they grow crops in their villages/home towns and their families/extended families are back home taking care of them.

We might wonder why they need to travel to the metros/big cities. Opportunities to earn more perhaps?

Now that they do not have any work here for an indefinite period, they just want to get back home and back to their other option.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:47   #914
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,364
Thanked: 13,998 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

I can understand the anxiety of the Parents, but they should also think about other peoples.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/inju...home-topscroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
but if things were so rosy in villages, most of these people would not have left. Many are landless.
Not Rosy, they will just meet 2 or 3 time food. Like everyone, they move to cities to earn more, maybe get a chance to get their kids educated. It's a fact that everyone will feel safe at his homeplace.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th April 2020 at 20:50.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:50   #915
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 993 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
We might wonder why they need to travel to the metros/big cities. Opportunities to earn more perhaps?
Duh!

It's like asking why Indians go to work in the US when they can get 2 square meals in India also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Now that they do not have any work here for an indefinite period, they just want to get back home and back to their other option.
There is a huge population in India who do not eat if they don't work for a few days. Lockdown isn't WFH, Zoom & Netflix for them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
No comments. but if things were so rosy in villages, most of these people would not have left. Many are landless.
Duh!. They aren't as rosy as "working" in the cities. But they aren't working in the cities now. There is a lockdown. They can't afford to eat. They can probably manage 2 square meals in their village which they can't here.

Last edited by carboy : 17th April 2020 at 20:52.
carboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks