Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:56   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "It's raining in my city" Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I left at 10 pm from Indiranagar to pick up my sister who was in Forum and I got home only @ 12! Traffic @ EGL was terrible while getting there and heading back. The roads were flooded for the most part, there was tree fall that hampered traffic movement and the traffic itself was nuts. It really poured today.
you gotta be careful where you park you car dude, coz where you park right now the area is full of trees.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:58   #1052
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

These are normal hailstones - however please dont eat them because with the kind of pollution we have in Indian cities these days, this is a part of "acid rain".

I live in HSR and it poured and poured and poured last night. Water was everywhere. However this kind of seriously heavy showers are not useful because they run off from the ground and do not seep into it. We need steady rain or drizzle for a longer period of time for the ground to be able to soak it up and recharge the water table...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Car was hit massively with ice! We were putting our hands out and collecting the ice and then eating it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I stay in Sarjapur area, outside Bangalore city (no, not the Bellandur/Ambalipura/K

raining heavily in the city yesterday, all we got here was heavy winds, lightning flashes and thunder echoes. No rain at all :-(
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:21   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
IHowever this kind of seriously heavy showers are not useful because they run off from the ground and do not seep into it. We need steady rain or drizzle for a longer period of time for the ground to be able to soak it up and recharge the water table...
+1. And only monsoon rains provide such rainfall to saturate the ground aquifers.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:01   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Its raining heavily near Begur road for the last one hour. Looks like this water alone can save our water crisis, if houses installed with a working rain water harvesting system.

But, tomorrow too, we will wait for tankers :(
I really wish that the Rainwater Harvesting System implementation would be taken up seriously both by BBMP as well as the residents of Bangalore. The amount of water that can be harvested from even a small shower is huge. Especially from apartment complexes.

I had taken the initiative to implement RWH system in my apartment complex (60 flats) and each time I see the amount of water pouring into the sump, I am amazed. A reasonably heavy (maybe 25% of the intensity of yesterdays rain) for 30min-1hr easily fills up a ~50,000 ltr sump (after letting the initial flow go out) in very quick time.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:08   #1055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
you gotta be careful where you park you car dude, coz where you park right now the area is full of trees.
Yeah dude, I need to be wary of parking it there. BBMP officials drove around the area recently and went chop-chop on some dicey looking trees so it's not that bad. But with the kind of rains we witnessed yesterday, I won't be surprised if even the healthy trees lose some of their branches.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:41   #1056
Senior - BHPian

It was heartening to see some lakes getting good amount of water. With the storm water drains converted to sewage drains, all rain water gets out of the city through them. They could have separated them and let the storm water drains carry storm water to lakes like they were designed to.
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:47   #1057
BHPian

Heavy winds and very heavy Hail-storm yesterday @ LIC colony , 2rd block Jayanagar.
Welcome rain and drop in night temperature.
Sad news is that both my EECO and NANO were outside. They got battered pretty hard by the horizontal flying hail-stones. The Windshields are scratched and starry
NEVER park your car in the open, in a severe Hail-storm.
Old 24th May 2013, 09:49   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Though it rained heavily yesterday evening, Kochi Infopark is now covered in thick dark clouds. Started drizzling.
Old 24th May 2013, 10:59   #1059
Senior - BHPian

How is the weather in Bangalore today ? Hope the thunderstorms have reduced. Will be driving to BLR today afternoon , hence this query.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:23   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
How is the weather in Bangalore today ? Hope the thunderstorms have reduced. Will be driving to BLR today afternoon , hence this query.
weather is fine for now; 34deg max and 21deg min. could get cloudy in the evening. same is the forecast for tomorrow.

drive safe.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:32   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
weather is fine for now; 34deg max and 21deg min. could get cloudy in the evening. same is the forecast for tomorrow.

drive safe.
Thanks, IronH4WK !

More than the rain, I am worried about the hailstorms , and resultant damage to car.

Starting off in a short while.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:34   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Thanks, IronH4WK !

More than the rain, I am worried about the hailstorms , and resultant damage to car.

Starting off in a short while.
Well there is no guarantee of hail. So chill and enjoy your drive. Even if there are hail stones, they will be relatively small in size and they wont do any damage to your car. I drove through a hail storm the day before yesterday and no damage on my car.
Old 25th May 2013, 13:02   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
... So chill and enjoy your drive...
Thanks ! Enjoyed the drive.

OT :

I was worried about damage to the car from above (hailstones), BUT ended up with damage from below (Bangalore's famous speedbreakers) .

The Civic was fully loaded with 5 adults and boot full of baggage. On the Attibele - Sarjapur ITPL road, the car scraped very badly on three of those Himalayan (from a Civic perspective ! ) speedbreakers.
Old 27th May 2013, 23:08   #1064
BHPian

Waiting for the monsoons to hit in full fury,Last 2-3 years practically no monsoon rains here in tvm.This year the pre-monsoon showers have been good ,so hopes of getting good rains.The roads are much better these days so driving wont be a problem.Will post some pics of rain lashing our coast soon.
Old 31st May 2013, 17:02   #1065
BHPian

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-31052013823.jpg

Just as I have begun posting in this thread, the rains have begun in full intensity. I don't know if it is monsoon or pre-monsoon activity. Guess IMD will confirm in a day or two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks