Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2023, 10:15   #586
BHPian

Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Actually I did more research and Indians are exempt from this 6 months rule. Here is the information from US govt Site. So this is not an issue from US side, not sure how our immigration officers will behave.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...2020220316.pdf
I can speak out of experience here and it’s the contrary. Indian immigration doesn’t care much, but the US immigration in AbuDhabi flagged this and pulled me aside. Since I am frequent traveller and my return ticket was within 4 days I explained to them it’s an urgent business meeting and I will be back before the end of the week and the passport expiring in 5 months should not matter. He handed over the passport to another lady who quickly looked up something at her terminal and stamped my passports with a 1 month entry and asked me to renew my passports before my next trip. That was the only time I got a 1 month entry, every time it’s a 6 month stamping by default. Request fellow travellers not to take any chance on the passport validity period and renew it well in advance.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 16:55   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The visa application is going to be made to the Chennai Consulate and I had called them up earlier to check about this requirement of old passports, they rudely confirmed that its required. If not available, chances of getting a Visa is very less.

I am surprised that Philippines doesnt have e-Visa system & still rely on the physical stamping done for Visa.
Can you let me know how many business days it took for processing the Philippine business visa?
Old 30th August 2023, 07:50   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Can you let me know how many business days it took for processing the Philippine business visa?
AFAIK, it was 10 working days for the Visa stamping and receipt of the passport.
Old 14th September 2023, 14:01   #589
BHPian

I am planning a trip to the UK. I plan to visit some close family, spend couple of days with them as well as travel around a bit with them in tow. I would appreciate inputs on the list of documents to be submitted. My past visits have always been under business visa, so I have never bothered about the documents for UK. Additionally, it would help, if folks can shed light on the duration it takes to process the visa.
Old 15th September 2023, 10:33   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I am planning a trip to the UK. I plan to visit some close family, spend couple of days with them as well as travel around a bit with them in tow. I would appreciate inputs on the list of documents to be submitted. My past visits have always been under business visa, so I have never bothered about the documents for UK. Additionally, it would help, if folks can shed light on the duration it takes to process the visa.
I had applied for a tourist visa recently and got biometric appointment for 14th Aug. The visa was approved and delivered on 26th Aug so around 7-8 business days (they quote around 15 days at time of submission).

UK visa seems to be much more lenient compared to US/Schengen. They didn't want flight or hotel confirmations at all. Only provided 3 months payslip, bank statement and employment proof. You will get the list of required docs at the end of the submission step. All documents had to be uploaded online so no hassle of paper work at the VFS centre.

One tip is don't fall for the 'priority' entry at the VFS centre which they push for for around INR 4k. They state that normal route will take 2 hours but I was done in 15 minutes.
praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 12:01   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I had applied for a tourist visa recently and got biometric appointment for 14th Aug. The visa was approved and delivered on 26th Aug so around 7-8 business days (they quote around 15 days at time of submission).
Thank you. Please indulge me. Did you submit any invite letter? I will visit close family for couple of days but mostly spend touring the lands with them in tow. I can submit the hotel and flight reservations too.
Old 16th September 2023, 19:59   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Thank you. Please indulge me. Did you submit any invite letter? I will visit close family for couple of days but mostly spend touring the lands with them in tow. I can submit the hotel and flight reservations too.
I am going with a tour group. There was no invite letter required to be uploaded.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 08:26   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Unsure if this merits a new thread on US non-immigrant visas. Not publicised enough very surprisingly!

If you had paid your US visa fees at the onset or during the pandemic period AND could / did not schedule / attend an in-person interview, then schedule the same before 30 September. The actual slot can be anytime but you MUST schedule it by this deadline.

https://content.techgig.com/career-a.../103690989.cms

From https://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/en/nonimmigrant-visa:

All receipts for payment of Machine-Readable Visa (MRV) fees issued before October 1, 2022, will expire September 30, 2023
All receipts for payment of Machine-Readable Visa (MRV) fees issued before October 1, 2022, will expire September 30, 2023. There will be no extensions of fee validity. Applicants must schedule an appointment or submit an interview waiver application before September 30, 2023 to avoid paying a new fee. Please note that the interview itself does not need to take place before September 30, 2023, but an interview appointment needs to be made in the system, even if it is scheduled months into the future. Furthermore, applicants using MRV fees paid before October 1, 2022 to book an appointment are cautioned not to attempt to change their appointment dates on or after October 1, 2023. Doing so will result in forfeiture of both the original appointment slot and the MRV fee receipt. The applicant will be required to pay a new fee and submit a new application package

There are also some 'issues' with the new application:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...7.cms?from=mdr
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:16   #594

Hi,
Background info: My dad worked in US on an L1 visa for around an year and has a valid B1/B2 visa now(He has travelled to US on multiple occasions for work). My sister is studying in Chicago on an F1 visa. My mom, sister and I have expired L2 visas as we stayed in US for an year quite a while ago.

Now my mom and I want to apply for B1 so the 3 of us can go to US for my sister's graduation(June 2025, applying now because wait time is 440 days as of today)
Is there any way for my mom to upload her DS-160 and from her account and add my DS-160 so we both have an interview together? We want it to be together as my mom isn't fluent in speaking English and will have to have her interview with a Telugu translator.
(OR)
Do we have to apply through different accounts and go for the interview separately (AFAIK, this method involves a risk in getting rejected and is simply a bit too much work, I might be wrong but that's what I've heard)
I couldn't find any useful answer on the official US Visa website, hence this post. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
hoopsandbhp
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:56   #595
BHPian

As much as I can remember, there is a way to schedule a "family" interview. Please check the site properly! I had got my wife and my visa renewal scheduled in that fashion. Had paid fees for 2 but it was done together!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsandbhp View Post
Hi,
Background info: My dad worked in US on an L1 visa for around an year and has a valid B1/B2 visa now(He has travelled to US on multiple occasions for work). My sister is studying in Chicago on an F1 visa. My mom, sister and I have expired L2 visas as we stayed in US for an year quite a while ago.

Now my mom and I want to apply for B1 so the 3 of us can go to US for my sister's graduation(June 2025, applying now because wait time is 440 days as of today)
Is there any way for my mom to upload her DS-160 and from her account and add my DS-160 so we both have an interview together? We want it to be together as my mom isn't fluent in speaking English and will have to have her interview with a Telugu translator.
(OR)
Do we have to apply through different accounts and go for the interview separately (AFAIK, this method involves a risk in getting rejected and is simply a bit too much work, I might be wrong but that's what I've heard)
I couldn't find any useful answer on the official US Visa website, hence this post. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
hoopsandbhp
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:55   #596
BANNED

Hi All,

I am planning to visit Germany on a business visit for 5 days. I was hoping to extend the visit to a personal one after my business work is complete. I have the company-sponsored invitation letter from the German Office for five days, and post that my sister and BIL who are already in Germany can send me another invitation letter to sponsor, and cover up for my personal trip.

In this case, what is the process for applying for a VISA? Do I need to send in two VISA applications i.e., one for a business VISA, and another one for a personal visa? Or if during my business VISA documentation/appointment, I attach the personal invitation letter and a personal cover letter mentioning that I want to visit my family then a 30-day or extended Schengen visa will be granted? Any additional documentation required to cover the personal trip and get an extended VISA?

If anyone can share their similar experience, then it will be super helpful.
Thank you!

Last edited by aseem23 : 22nd September 2023 at 15:09.
Old 22nd September 2023, 15:29   #597
BHPian

I had very bad experience with Applying the Chinese Visa for business meeting. I have been to china earlier and the visa application process was smooth but this time they require the applicant to visit the Nariman point (Mumbai center) visa application center.

Took the appointment online, armed with all the documents. The scrutiny officer informed that they need the IDs of Chinese invitee which Chinese were hesitant in sharing. Nevertheless it took time to get the IDs so this appointment was cancelled by the visa center.

I had to fill another online form and the next interview date was available after a month, but i need the visa earlier to book the tickets and other travel related stuff. I walked in to the Visa center again with all the documents. There were separate queue for Appointment and walk-in. Obviously the preference went to people with appointments. After waiting for 3 hours outside the visa center (in hot and humid seashore of Nariman point) the security let 1st batch (of 10 people) in.

Inside it was mess. I choose the express option, which by no mean is express. Infect it took more time there to get your documents scrutinized, generate a payments slip and finally pay at the counter. The express service includes fast visa processing ( 1 day) and courier to home. Total Leadtime quoted was 1 week (with 10.5K fee). The fee had to be paid only and only in Cash (no online, no cards nothing).

I was finally out by 4pm (full day invested almost since 8am).

I received my passport at my home within a week. Guess what- No Visa. the reason was : Invitation letter not appropriate, which is kind of strange, it was exactly as per their format of requirements+ the VFS guys do checked the documents thoroughly twice.

I checked with one guy who were there with me at visa center that day, strange he also faced rejected application. To me it seems like money making business of China Visa center (because the walk-in people were all, who have come earlier for interviews and was sent back for silly reasons and all have opted for express options with >10K fee, majority of which is just 'express' tax kind of thing. Or these rejection might be something to do with India (or Indian citizen).

Please share your experience.

Last edited by UD17 : 22nd September 2023 at 15:34.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 22:33   #598
BHPian

Applied for a tourist visa for me and my family with the VFS appointment scheduled on 22nd August.

Embassy applied to - Germany
Countries travelling - Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Got the Visa stamped and passport delivered in September 6th. Got it in less than the 15 days as mentioned by the Embassy.

Pointer - Always ensure that you have all the supporting documents that shows your clear intention to come back and your strong connection to your mother country. I believe this is the single most important factor in this current phase even more than the finances. Whatever documents you can think of stating your intention to come back include all those even those not usually mentioned in the sites that give pointers on Schengen Visa application. No documents are irrelevant provided it has a solid ground to stand on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
I am planning to visit Germany on a business visit for 5 days. I was hoping to extend the visit to a personal one after my business work is complete. I have the company-sponsored invitation letter from the German Office for five days, and post that my sister and BIL who are already in Germany can send me another invitation letter to sponsor, and cover up for my personal trip.
You can check with somebody else for confirmation but AFAIK you need to apply for two separate visas since both visa categories are separate. Also if you give a plan to extend your stay after your business purpose then that might create a doubt in the mind of the officers as to your intention to return back which is the single most important criteria they analyse about your visa application even more than the financial ability.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd September 2023 at 11:35.
Old 23rd September 2023, 11:34   #599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You just need to apply one visa, with the company-sponsored invitation letter. In the visa application expected entry and exit date mention as per your planned duration of staying Germany, say 20 days’ duration if you plan to stay 15 days with your sister after the 5 days of business activities. And at passport check in Germany if they ask you how long you intend to stay, you can mention the actual details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijo_tj View Post
AFAIK you need to apply for two separate visas since both visa categories are separate.
From what I know, business/tourism falls into the same category - Type C (short-term visit).

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd September 2023 at 11:37.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 11:45   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will depend on a couple of factors like your past history (overseas travels), the status of your sponsors (Citizens or?) and the number of days.

If you plan to stay only for a few days, I will not add anything and simply mention rest days as tourism. But if its more days, do consider a situation where even your official Visa is rejected because they consider you a risk of not returning back.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks