Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 12:54   #1801
Senior - BHPian

Coming soon: vegetarian chicken that tastes just like chicken!

Scientists at the University of Missouri may have finally cracked the code to realistic tasting fake chicken with the first soy product.

Lots of meat substitutes are on the market right now, such as the ever-popular Tofurky. But there isn't one that tastes like chicken or, more importantly to these researchers, has the texture of real meat.

Fu-Hung Hsieh, a professor of biological engineering and food science at MU, and colleagues have now created the first soy product that can be flavoured to taste like chicken, but also breaks apart in your mouth the way chicken does.

The fake meat is made by mixing up a batter of soy protein, wheat flour and water, and then pushing the batter through a high-heat extruder.

Hsieh said that the mixture firms up and develops a stringy, chicken-like texture.
Although the team hasn't perfected the taste yet, the texture seems to be right on.

"But the way the meat broke across my teeth felt exactly how boneless chicken breast does," Discovery News quoted Time Magazine's John Cloud, who visited the laboratory where the soy-chicken is being made, as saying.
"It was slightly fibrous but not fatty. The soy wasn't mashed together as in a veggie burger; rather, it was more idiosyncratic, uneven, al dente-in other words, meatlike," he added.

The research has been published in the Journal of Food and Agricultural Chemistry, Journal of Food Science, and Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society.

Source:http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/2010060...cken-that.html
Old 9th June 2010, 13:11   #1802
Distinguished - BHPian

Silverwood, thats one heck of information. But, thank you i will stick to the real stuff
Old 9th June 2010, 14:29   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Silverwood, thats one heck of information. But, thank you i will stick to the real stuff
Agreed.I will do that too.But once in a blue moon, we can give our arteries a much deserved break by having this and pause the progression of atherosclerosis.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:19   #1804
BHPian

Guys, i am going to IMAX with my wife this saturday for a 5:30PM movie. Any suggestions for VFM restaurant near by for dinner?
Old 9th June 2010, 16:52   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
Guys, i am going to IMAX with my wife this saturday for a 5:30PM movie. Any suggestions for VFM restaurant near by for dinner?
not sure if the roof top joint in eat street is still open. i used to be regular there ,food is good but service is super slow.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:14   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Mohini in Basheerbagh.Boneless chicken biriyani and kesar-badam kulfi.
Bahaar:Murgh Masalam (try this, you will love it), gurda fry, tangdi kebaab and biriyani.
Naigra. Dum ka murgh,chicken masala and rumali etc

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 9th June 2010 at 17:16. Reason: comments
Old 9th June 2010, 17:57   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
Hampshire Plaza has a good buffet dinner.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:22   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
not sure if the roof top joint in eat street is still open. i used to be regular there ,food is good but service is super slow.
I dont think that rooftop restuarant is there anymore. The eat street at ground floor is there for sure.

@HL, if you dont mind spending, then visit Waterfront on Eat Street, its got fantastic ambience and you can even sit on the wooden floor facing the HS lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Mohini in Basheerbagh.Boneless chicken biriyani and kesar-badam kulfi.
Bahaar:Murgh Masalam (try this, you will love it), gurda fry, tangdi kebaab and biriyani.
Naigra. Dum ka murgh,chicken masala and rumali etc
I love the first 2 restuarants. However,

Mohini and Bahaar do not exactly have a family conducive ambience. I usually take-away from both these places as they are very close to my home.

Naigara-----DO NOT VISIT THIS HOTEL ( If someone asks me why, i can write an essay about them here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hampshire Plaza has a good buffet dinner.
Visited Hampshire Plaza for a late night buffet about 15 days ago. They shut down the buffet due to "No Foot Falls"

I used to love munching on their kheema and bun post 1:00AM

I guess TBHPians are to be blamed for them shutting down. We stopped conducting our dinner meets there which probably was their major source of income for buffet dinners....LOL
Old 9th June 2010, 18:26   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Visited Hampshire Plaza for a late night buffet about 15 days ago. They shut down the buffet due to "No Foot Falls"

I used to love munching on their kheema and bun post 1:00AM

I guess TBHPians are to be blamed for them shutting down. We stopped conducting our dinner meets there which probably was their major source of income for buffet dinners....LOL
Ah is it?HP,the food's generally good,and place is good as well with ample parking
Old 10th June 2010, 11:45   #1810
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening decided to enjoy Arabic and Lebanese cuisine, so went to "All Seasons" erstwhile Yoko Sizzlers, Road No.3, Banjara Hills.

Got this lead from Ranjitp1, thanks dude !

Since there so much talk about clogged arteries, decided against decision to have an all veggie dinner ( imagine is it possible in arabic and lebanese cuisine? read on......)

Ambience wise its just the same but, now instead of lounge music, its arabic music playing and they have a seating outside right in front of their grill area. Nice

We ordered the following :-

Veg Mezze Platter : Rs.325
( Falafel, Mautebel,Hummus and Pita Bread)

Extra Pita Bread : Rs.40

Fattoush : Rs.135

Veg Cheese Balls : Rs.125

Veg Schezwan Fried Rice : Rs.130

Fresh Lime Soda--3 No's : Rs.150

U'mm Ali--2 No's : Rs.140

Total Damages : Rs.1100++

Falafel served with a unique sauce was fantastic

Hummus and Mautebal was bland and just ok. Maybe our palate does not agree to such food.

Fattoush is like a salad served with crispies, quite nice

Since most of the above food is quite light, we decided to order something that will hit the spot

Veg Cheese Balls served with White Garlic sauce was very good. Infact, the sauce was the highlight. However, i still vote for cheese balls at Reshmis, Secunderabad.

Schezwan Fried Rice was hot, fiery and super spicy and trust me. I loved this dish the best of entire lot. I would go back only for this dish.

U'mm Ali is an arabic dessert. Its made of Milk,Dry Fruits and Crispy Puffs soaked in them. It tastes a bit like Double Ka Meetha and quite nice.

Its a decent place with VFM pricing and best part there are no crazy taxation and there is no SC but, ST of 4%.

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th June 2010 at 11:47.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:34   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last evening decided to enjoy Arabic and Lebanese cuisine, so went to "All Seasons" erstwhile Yoko Sizzlers, Road No.3, Banjara Hills.
Hey, this place is just few steps from my office.Excellent vfm.

Last edited by bblost : 10th June 2010 at 14:43. Reason: Please don't quote large posts. Thanks.
Old 12th June 2010, 01:35   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Today Avinash (mobike008) and myself went for lunch at F9 Kondapur for a buffet.
It was a good spread with Salads,Biryani,Noodles,Live Dosa Counter,Chicken and Fish curry,usual Veg curries like Kofta,Paneer etc.
Desserts were a disappointment as there was "Chekkara Pongal" (Rice pudding) which is normally made for Festival by Andhrites and some pastries and Vanilla ice cream with no chocolate sauce !!!

Buffet Price per head Rs.225 incl taxes.
Old 12th June 2010, 08:35   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Today Avinash (mobike008) and myself went for lunch at F9 Kondapur for a buffet.
It was a good spread with Salads,Biryani,Noodles,Live Dosa Counter,Chicken and Fish curry,usual Veg curries like Kofta,Paneer etc.
Desserts were a disappointment as there was "Chekkara Pongal" (Rice pudding) which is normally made for Festival by Andhrites and some pastries and Vanilla ice cream with no chocolate sauce !!!

Buffet Price per head Rs.225 incl taxes.
My opinion

a) Place was like a cafeteria in a corporate, totally crowded and noisy
b) Food was just about average
c) I agree with you. I was dismayed to see the desserts. Pongal in F9

If you have an option, then F9 can be given a miss

Ram, I loved driving your Peuguot 309, it rocks
Old 14th June 2010, 13:43   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening after our return from NSD TBHP Meet, we were darn tired and didnt feel like going out for dinner.

But, not the ones to break our sunday dinner out ritual, we hopped over to Papaji Ka Dhaba for a quick meal of Chicken Tikka Masala, Rotis and Meat Biryani

What more can i say? I am so fond of that place, if Papaji is looking for a heir, he knows whom to select

Btw, yesterday at NSD, Suren practically stirred my palate by describing the food at Chawla's at Kukatpally.

Next pit stop ( hopefully wednesday dinner, would be there)
Old 14th June 2010, 14:20   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Next pit stop ( hopefully wednesday dinner, would be there)
Wednesday, will have to miss Chawla's.

BTW, are we still on with Suren's+Waseem's Combo-Offer
Lets have some good time with Late Night Dinner at Suren's favourite haunting joint followed by Paayaa at unearthly hour at Mangalhat (Tokens arranged by Waseem)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks