Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 12:04   #3106
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Getting eyes tested for removal of spectacles by a procedure called Lasik for the whole family kept us all stuck at the new Eye Centre which opened at Pacific Medical Centre on Road 36 of Jubilee Hills in the evening of Friday and realising that post dilation of eyes, it was not practical to cook and serve food at home apart from the fact that we all needed to shield our eyes from the bright light and glare.

So decided to order home delivery of biryani from The Clay Pot.

Called up The Clay Pot at 5:15pm and ordered:
1 Pot Dum Chicken Biryani
1 Pot Dum Mutton Biryani
1 Vegetable Biryani

Delivery was promised between 8:00 and 8:30 and delivery happened at 8:29 sharp.

Total amount payable and paid was 400 (140+160+100).

The non veg biryanis were in a genuine clay pot covered with somethe leaf lid while the veg one was in a plastic container. Onions, salan and dahi chutney were the accompaniments. Packing was good and clean. Veg and Non Veg were carried by the delivery boy in separate bags which is a good gesture for the sensibilities of any veg person.

Taste was awesome as always (my third time).

The salan taste was typical gravy taste that one gets in the railway food (especially the gravy taste in egg curry and chicken curry) : horrible is the only word to describe it.

Saving grace was that the rice was so smooth and juicy that one did not need anything else to eat the biryani.

My son, who was here for a week, has eaten it for the first time, is a staunch anti rice person, commented after eating, "Wish you had ordered it the first day I came here so that I could have eaten this 2-3 times more."

Half the veg biryani got left after six of us had filled our stomachs and that is what constituted my saturday lunch.

Absolutely worth it!

Bye Bye Hyderabad House and Paradise.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 20:54   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this info, Bajaj sa'ab. We'll give Clay Pot a shot soon---getting bored of Deccan. Please do post the contact number.

OT: For Lasik, I suggest Maxivision---it is walking distance from your place, on the Yashoda lane.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:16   #3108
Senior - BHPian

I had the tastiest Chicken Biriyani on last Thursday for lunch at KIMS hospital canteen @Rs 80.

A must try i must say.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:37   #3109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Finally got around ordering Ghar Ka Khana so ordered one veg and one non veg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The other good veg option at Raj Bhavan road is Balaji, opp shell bunk.
He serves Rajasthani thali @ Rs 65 (parcel) and it consists of
1, One Sabzi
2, Kadi (sans pakoda )
3, Daal
4, Curd
6, Phulkas (6 No's)
7 Rice (Decent quantity)
8, Papad
9 Tomato Chutney-On request.
This meal is enough to feed two hungry souls & the food is very tasty.
One glaring difference between the two above is an option of Non Veg with "Ghar Ka Khana".

Veg = Rice + 2 Phulkas + Dal + 2 Curries + Curd + Papad = Rs. 50
Non Veg = Same as above + Chicken or Fish & 1 Curry instead of 2 Curries = Rs. 70

By the way, they have started dinner home delivery parcel service also.

For Veg, Silverwood suggested place is a much better menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for this info, Bajaj sa'ab. We'll give Clay Pot a shot soon---getting bored of Deccan. Please do post the contact number.

OT: For Lasik, I suggest Maxivision---it is walking distance from your place, on the Yashoda lane.
The Clay Pot = +91-800-8800-696/697/698

OT : I know Dr Prasad Reddy of MaxVison for more than 2 decades at a personal level apart from Dr Gupta and a few more doctors there including my neighbour. I have still preferred Pacific / Vitae since the doctor is very good and the rates are very cheap.

Quote:
I had the tastiest Chicken Biriyani on last Thursday for lunch at KIMS hospital canteen @Rs 80.
A must try i must say.
I think I read this one once earlier also from you. Must be simply too good since you are repeating yourself. I am sold out on it and it is now in a must eat list of mine.

Please do parcel one for me when you are there next and we will sit together and eat at home.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:35   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I think I read this one once earlier also from you. Must be simply too good since you are repeating yourself. I am sold out on it and it is now in a must eat list of mine.

Please do parcel one for me when you are there next and we will sit together and eat at home.
This is probably the best Chicken Biriyani i have had in recent times.

Perfect blend of rice, chicken and spices cooked to perfection.

Will certainly get it packed for you next time when i visit the Hospital.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 25th April 2011 at 11:37.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 17:24   #3111
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday had an excellent meal at IndiJoe to bid a nice farewell to mom who is travelling abroad this week. We decided she needs to enjoy some sizzlers before she leaves.

We ordered for the following :-

Cheese Crumb Fried Sizzlers ( Rs.335)

It was simple outstanding and perfect for mom as she is not too much of a spice eater

Spicy Lamb Satay Sizzler ( Rs.365)

It was one of the most fulfilling and tasty sizzler enjoyed in a long time. Will go back only for those lamb satays dipped in HP ( Barbeque sauce). What a combination. I must have finished half of that barbeque sauce during my dipping spree..lol

Garlic Bread dipped in Cheese ( Rs.110)

Soft Drinks and Mocktails ( Rs.450)

Damages : ~ Rs.1500

They charge 14.5% Vat and 10% service charge. Imagine, 25% of the bill is only taxes. I would have fumed badly had it been any other place. In Indijoe, they supress such feelings with excellent services and superb sizzlers.

Here are some horrible pictures from my BB
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-mail.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-215896_1682940765569_1599107039_31460811_2228477_n.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img00179201104242202.jpg  

Old 25th April 2011, 17:30   #3112
BHPian

After rocketing around to bidar and back in pulsar 56's zen on sunday ravindra and i stopped for a quick bite @ haveli -kondapur

dishes ordered :-

pepper chicken- good
chicken tikka masala-ok
mutton biryani-did not eat
naan/rotis

nothing special here ,was the usual taste .

total inr with soft drinks 1000..

one of the days during the long weekend picked up rolls from baba chula's-raj bhavan road

mutton sheekh kebab roll- mind blowing ,totally addictive
chicken tiranga roll- okiesh,though it was published as their signature roll.no great shakes

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th April 2011 at 17:49. Reason: Edited the emphasize on soft drinks. Thanks!
Old 26th April 2011, 12:25   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Picked up Chicken 65 and Tandoori Chicken @ Akbar, Abids.

Chicken 65 and Tandoori Chicken priced at Rs 160 each.Both tasted horrible.

What a waste of time and money.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had been to Paradise for Dinner last evening and ordered the following.(SILVERWOOD+7)

1,Egg Kheema-This is simply awesome dish.All you need to do is ask the maitre d to make it a bit spicy.
2,Chicken Hyderabadi-Liked it.
3,Chicken Biriyani-Did not taste.
4,Butter Naan-(7 No's) &
5,Soft Drinks.

Total Damages-Rs 1000.

Will visit this place again for Egg Kheema.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 26th April 2011 at 12:35.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:52   #3114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Picked up Chicken 65 and Tandoori Chicken @ Akbar, Abids.
Did you pick up from their hotel next to Ramkrishna Theatre or the Bandhi opp to Karachi Bakery and Restuarant?

I used to frequent the bandhi a lot during the early days and used to love the chicken 65. But, more than that, Akbar is known for its chicken fry. You should try that next time and i am sure you will like it.

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th April 2011 at 12:53.
Old 26th April 2011, 13:42   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I used to frequent the bandhi a lot during the early days and used to love the chicken 65
If it's at the Bandi, then try out their Chicken 65 and ask him to get the red gravy with it. Chicken 65, Red Gravy + Hot Roti's, amazing combination. This bandi is near GPO, opposite to Karachi & Agrawala's.

Quote:
But, more than that, Akbar is known for its chicken fry. You should try that next time and i am sure you will like it.
Akbar's been around for ages. I love Chicken Fry at Akbar's. Offlate, I have started hating the places, which advertise Chicken Tandoori on their menu but sell the bird Fried.

Anyone tried Yousufian Fast Food, near Yousufian Dargah? Have seen people thronging this outlet in loads. Try their Chicken Fry and Chicken 65.
Old 26th April 2011, 14:06   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you pick up from their hotel next to Ramkrishna Theatre or the Bandhi opp to Karachi Bakery and Restuarant?

I used to frequent the bandhi a lot during the early days and used to love the chicken 65. But, more than that, Akbar is known for its chicken fry. You should try that next time and i am sure you will like it.
I got 65 from the shop and Tandoori from the bandi.Both were equally horrible.

I will surely try chicken fry next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post

Akbar's been around for ages. I love Chicken Fry at Akbar's. Offlate, I have started hating the places, which advertise Chicken Tandoori on their menu but sell the bird Fried.

Anyone tried Yousufian Fast Food, near Yousufian Dargah? Have seen people thronging this outlet in loads. Try their Chicken Fry and Chicken 65.
+1 Nikhil Bhai.

It was not at all Tandoori chicken by any means, it was deep fried.Nothing to beat Tandoori Chicken served at Pakvaan.

Will try Yousufian Fast Food next week.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:31   #3117
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Sholay for Today's Lunch and ordered the following (SILVERWOOD+7)

1,Apollo Fish-(2 No's)
2,Murgh Kalia-(2 No's)
3,Veg Platter-
4,Bhatinda De Kukkad-(2 No's)
5,Mutton Ragda
6,Some Paneer Dish
7,Chicken Biriyani-(2 No's)
8,Gulnaar Dum Biriyani
9,Butter Naan-(7 No's)
10,Gajar Ka Halwa-(2 No's)
11,Ras Malai-(2 No's)
12,Gud Badam Ka Halwa-

Star Dish was Murgh Kalia,highly recommended.
Bhatinda De Kukkad,Mutton Ragda and Chicken Biriyani were just perfect.
Did not taste the veg dishes ,so no comments.

Total Damages-Rs 3.2k.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:49   #3118
Team-BHP Support

Very Disappointed with Harry's Diner.

Went to the restaurant at 8:00 PM today evening. Just one chef and the waiter told me my order of one medium pizza and 2 chicken big eats would take over 30 mins.

Came outside. Asked Valet to give me the keys as I would take my car myself. Found it parked under a no parking sign in front of the nearby mall.

Went to Ofen and picked up my dinner.
Lovely food as always.
Old 28th April 2011, 03:24   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Very Disappointed with Harry's Diner....
Just the opposite with my dinner experience tonight.

Dropped a colleague at Red Hills, came back to the main road and got on to the Masab Tank flyover. Saw the Hotel Golkonda sign in the distance and remembered reading that Chef Inam was near it. Kept an eye out for it to identify the exact location so I could go there some day. Saw it and decided on impulse to go there right away.

Drove about 2.5 km ahead till I found a u-turn under the PVNR Expressway and turned back, wondering if it would be worth the detour and hoping something would be available - it was about 10.30 pm.

Ordered the first item on the menu - Boston style steak, to take away. Chef Inam was making a platter for someone there when I reached - watched him make it and drank a complimentary cup of rosemary tea while I waited. The steak was ready about 15-20 mins later.

Went home, heated it and ate. One of the best steaks I've had. Well done and larger than in most other places.

It was served with garlic bread and grilled vegetables - beans and carrots. There were three sauces - ketchup (by the look, didn't use it), one that looked like coconut chutney and tasted like peanuts (was really good) and another that looked like ghee and whose taste I am not able to describe - something like melted unsalted butter. Anyone know what these two could be?

It cost Rs.250. Most of the single person items on the menu were between Rs.200 and 300.

Will go there again soon to try out something called the Kirrat steak and also their fish.

Last edited by straightdrive : 28th April 2011 at 03:26.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:46   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Very Disappointed with Harry's Diner.
I am somehow getting the feel that Harry's is not going to last simply because it doesn't seem to have its soul in place.My last visit was also disappointing,i am not going back,Chef Inam seems to be doing good on the other hand

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th April 2011 at 13:31. Reason: corrected

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks