Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 14:40   #3151
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Tood a dig at the veg lunch parcel at Balaji Sweet Stall based on Silverwood's post.

For Rs 60, the quantity was huge---3 of us could have lunch. The quality was decent---resembles what one gets at student messes, so nothing exceptional, but decent.

We were surprised that he parcelled only one roti and lots of rice, so I guess we need to specifically ask for more rotis.

Thanks Silverwood for discovering this joint. Now I have a place close by to fall back on when we are too lazy to cook.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:01   #3152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

We were surprised that he parcelled only one roti and lots of rice, so I guess we need to specifically ask for more rotis.
Venu Sir.

What you got parcelled is a Andhra thali which is priced at Rs 60 with which you get one Phulka and loads of rice.

Marwardi thali is priced at Rs 65 with which you get 6 Phulka's and a decent quantity of rice.You get one Sabzi and Kadi extra with Marwardi thali minus Rasam which is served with Andhra thali.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 12th May 2011 at 15:02.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:21   #3153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Got this email from the owner of Harry's Diner today morning :

"Dear Mr. Bajaj,
I hope this mail finds you in the best of your health and in high sprits. I am sorry to inform you that I have closed my business in Hyderabad due to few issues.
Really sad to hear about this; I used to have atleast one meal a week here. Will surely miss the Basil Pesto Pasta and the Big Eats :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, the bottom line is reasonable. Not the types of 750 bucks a plate New Zealand Lamb Chops at N-Grille
Avi: New Zealand Lamb chops is 1200 bucks
Old 12th May 2011, 15:50   #3154
BHPian

Quote:
(Want to try a bratwurst )
Oktoberfest is coming up soon, lets import Bratwurst?

Would it be as succulent as our Malai Tikkas & Sikandari Raans? Indian appertizers apart, Hyderabad has to go a long way in relishing the international cuisine. Never expected IndiJoe would change its menu over the course of time and serve Biryani too. What Harish said is true, Hyderabad has to go a long way in terms of International Cuisine.

Might be OT, but wanted to share with you guys:
1. I recollect a very wierd scene I witnessed at N-Grill. One Some-Politically-Conneceted-Big-Shot was having dinner at N-Grill, appetizers done, he asked the waiter to get him Curd-Rice, CURD-RICE in a fine dining restaurant . The waiter had to oblige and get him Curd-Rice due to those amazing fireworks put on display by the Some-Politically-Conneceted-Big-Shot. Now, who is to blame? Is the owner to be blamed or the steward or the patron?

2. I have seen people asking for Finger Bowls to wash their hands in Fine Dining Restaurants. People, why do we have that cuttlery there, use those Spoons, Forks and Knives.

3. Today we are speaking about Harry's Diner, IIRC, there was a Sushi Joint in CineMax which closed down even before a person could say "Ebifurai-Maki", now who is to blame? It is the mistake of our people as we don't really know what it tastes like in first place and coupled with a few inputs from someone who really doesnot know how to spell SUSHI tells us that it's made of Raw Fish and smells YUCK. That's it, we avoid that place. If it would have been so, Sushi would not have been so popular around the world. The only person to blame here is OURSELVES as we are not willing to experiment with food. Few brave ones experiment and love it, then the outlets closes down leaving those few braves ones scouting for someother option.

4. I still miss a couple of places, where I used to gorge food like crazy. If you remember, there was a chinese bandi, which used to stand near the present GVKOne Mall, he used to sell one of the best Chicken Legs during those times. I still miss him and never have come across someone who makes them as great as him.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:33   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
IIRC, there was a Sushi Joint in CineMax which closed down even before a person could say "Ebifurai-Maki", now who is to blame? It is the mistake of our people as we don't really know what it tastes like in first place and coupled with a few inputs from someone who really doesnot know how to spell SUSHI tells us that it's made of Raw Fish and smells YUCK. That's it, we avoid that place. If it would have been so, Sushi would not have been so popular around the world. The only person to blame here is OURSELVES as we are not willing to experiment with food. Few brave ones experiment and love it, then the outlets closes down leaving those few braves ones scouting for someother option.
Nikhil,

Surprise!!!

Ebitsu never closed down. They could not afford the high rent charged by the Mall (which houses Cinemax) so they moved the shop down the road.

By the way, a visit to Cinemax Mall will greet your eyes with a half shut down food court as many outlets wound up there.

Back to the topic, Ebitsu is now located at Greenview Plaza which also houses a Subway, a Mexican eatery, a Hyderabad House, a Bowl O' China and some more. It is between Road No. 45 and Road No. 36 opposite KBR Park adjoining the petrol pump which is next to Nandamuri Balakrishna's house.

And lastly, Ebitsu serves a sushi which can be defined as what sushi is just not supposed to be. They are worse, as they could neither make it Japanese nor could they adapt it to Indian palate, than Nankings who at least serve a decent Indo-Chinese cuisine duly evolved at Kolkata.

I used to pretty much enjoy the sushi in the saturday night buffets at Novotel till they decided to replace it with momos.

With so much talk on Sushi, I am drooling. Anyone driving down to Bangalore this weekend? I need a lift both ways, need to eat some sushi. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:01   #3156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
Avi: New Zealand Lamb chops is 1200 bucks
My, My. Only Tollywood stars can afford that pricing. I heard they import this from NZ each week. I prefer flying down to NZ to have them..hehe!

Quote:
Oktoberfest is coming up soon, lets import Bratwurst? Would it be as succulent as our Malai Tikkas & Sikandari Raans? .
Bratwurst is typically pork or beef and neither of which I eat. So if someone is going to make a chicken bratwurst...I am game

Jokes apart, with regards to your experience of someone ordering curdrice..I agree completely from my personal experience.

I have a few telugu friends who are from political circles and rich to the core and Central Court was one of our hangout for several years and even now once in a while, each time there the final order would be curd rice. Thank god, a banana is not offered there along with it.

No offense to the telugu fraternity but, it's a habit for them and it's not easy to shake it off.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:06   #3157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CURD-RICE in a fine dining restaurant
I protest. What's so "not so fine" about curd rice?

I agree with you that a menu's there for a purpose and that one shouldn't throw a tantrum if what you want is unavailable (you should not have visited the restaurant in the first place), but I don't think any food item is inherently "class" or "mass".

I mean, we (as in the average Indian) idolize McD. What is McD in the US? Staple food for truckers, is all.

Quote:
2. I have seen people asking for Finger Bowls to wash their hands in Fine Dining Restaurants. People, why do we have that cuttlery there, use those Spoons, Forks and Knives.
A lot depends on the food being served. There was this Turkish outlet where I regularly used to have pizza. The pizza base was no thicker than a couple of phulkas, and the pizza would never be cut into 6/8 slices by the chef. So obviously one could only eat it using a knife and fork. However, if it was a thicker base, eating by hand is far easier than fiddling around with a knife and fork.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 12th May 2011 at 17:08.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:27   #3158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Venu Sir.

What you got parcelled is a Andhra thali which is priced at Rs 60 with which you get one Phulka and loads of rice.

Marwardi thali is priced at Rs 65 with which you get 6 Phulka's and a decent quantity of rice.You get one Sabzi and Kadi extra with Marwardi thali minus Rasam which is served with Andhra thali.
Thanks Waseem. I had sent my son and I guess he placed the wrong order. I do remember telling him it was Rs 65, but was surprised that it was only Rs 60. He did give the substitue for curd however (kadi sans pakoda), as I'd specifically told my son to ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I protest. What's so "not so fine" about curd rice?

I agree with you that a menu's there for a purpose and that one shouldn't throw a tantrum if what you want is unavailable (you should not have visited the restaurant in the first place), but I don't think any food item is inherently "class" or "mass".

I mean, we (as in the average Indian) idolize McD. What is McD in the US? Staple food for truckers, is all.

Regards,
spadix
+1 to your views. I am a strong proponent of curd rice. If N-Grill can serve biryani and chapatis in a continental setup, then why not curd-rice?

I can understand if they serve only continental stuff.

Last edited by vnabhi : 12th May 2011 at 19:29.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:53   #3159
Distinguished - BHPian

On Thursday, Prior to FF5 movie. Mobike+1, Neel+1 and Ravvs headed to Papaji for dinner. We had :-

Chilly Fish

Imagine a sardarji dhaba serving excellent fish. Spicy, nicely sliced fish with loads of onions and capsicums.

Tandoori Mutton ( Special of the day)

Glad Papaji is experimenting with his menu. This was another excellent dish and absolutely liked the smoky flavour. Must try !!!

Ginger Chicken & Butter Chicken with Rotis

These are the trademark dishes of Papaji and they can never go wrong. Butter Chicken just got better.

Damages ( 5 People) : Rs.1000 bucks including tips

------------XXX--------------------

Yesterday, me and wifey decided to head to Abhiruchi at Paradise for lunch.

2 Veg Thalis ( Rs.72 each)

1 Mutton Boneless Fry ( Rs.179)

Thali was just ordinary but, i enjoyed eating rice with gongura pachadi and gun powder

Fry was mindblowing. It was almost as good as the Kakatiya Mutton at Warangal. However, the quantity is so low, it would suffice only one person.

I would go back only for the mutton fry which is actually a trademark of Abhiruchi. Otherwise, their thali is no great shakes.
Old 15th May 2011, 10:20   #3160
Team-BHP Support

My wife wanted to do some shopping at Oorja in Panjagutta.

While I was waiting in the car, I notice a steady stream of people going into this small Takeaway kind of place.
Its beside the now closed Anjappar.

Sree Kanya.
The board said veg/ Non veg.

But I did not find Veg dishes.

Dinner was already prepared at home. But could not resist buying a fried Quail(Rs 60). Very well cleaned and very well cooked. Tasty and nice.

They also have fried meat and chicken. Fish curries looked tempting.

Rates are reasonable. Start from a 100 and go to a max of about 250.

They get an extra point for keeping the store very clean.
Old 15th May 2011, 13:12   #3161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sree Kanya.The board said veg/ Non veg.
This is one of the most popular andhra take away joint successfully lasting from several years unlike several who copied him. They have a standard set of items and have a typical andhra and rayalseema taste with heavy doses of spice. Yup, they keep the place quite clean.

The other outlet is balakampet joint which seems to have taken a cue from SK. They too keep it clean despite unhygenic surroundings.

You should try SK biryani too. It's andhra style and quite different than dum ki biryani. Most of his dishes get sold out by 8pm.
Old 15th May 2011, 15:11   #3162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is one of the most popular andhra take away joint successfully lasting from several years unlike several who copied him. They have a standard set of items and have a typical andhra and rayalseema taste with heavy doses of spice. Yup, they keep the place quite clean.

The other outlet is balakampet joint which seems to have taken a cue from SK. They too keep it clean despite unhygenic surroundings.

You should try SK biryani too. It's andhra style and quite different than dum ki biryani. Most of his dishes get sold out by 8pm.
I think you have confused this one with Meghna Spices. Sree Kanya next to Anjappar is a very recent opened outlet, may be at max an year old!
Old 15th May 2011, 15:56   #3163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think you have confused this one with Meghna Spices. Sree Kanya next to Anjappar is a very recent opened outlet, may be at max an year old!
Anjappar had opened about two/three years back. Sreekanya is at that same location from more than 5 years. prev to that there used to be a good sweet shop there called as "Lakshmi sweet house"

SreeKanya is very famous for their seafood and biryanis.

Last edited by aadix : 15th May 2011 at 15:57.
Old 15th May 2011, 17:22   #3164
BHPian

Sree Kanya @ P'gutta has been around for some times now, easily 4 years, if not more.

It used to be my standard take-away place after my haircut.

Used to love the prawns and crabs.

Never fell in love with the quails as found them just a bunch of bones devoid of any meat (guess, am spoilt having been brought up on Rajasthani quails).

Was disappointed with their biryani (tried only once). The guy ladled some rice into an aluminium pouch and added a couple of pieces of chicken (cooked seperately). No taste, no flavour, no good. In fact, stopped going there ever after.

Though have not see so much rush recently, I do remember that a couple of years back, around 7:00/7:30, the queue would be extending onto the road.

For Andhra Biryani, I am sold out on The Clay Pot. Yummy!

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 15th May 2011 at 17:24.
Old 15th May 2011, 23:22   #3165
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Just tried nautanki gali in cyber pearl hitech city, this was a buffet spread and the food was mouth watering, I would definitely recommend fellow hyd-bhpians giving this a try, the have a big spread on the menu, with predominant focus towards the north Indian food, but does feature one Chinese and one Italian deviation. The only thing that surprised me was the pricing aspect of it, it was advertised as ex-vat Rs249/ plate , but they do massage the bill quite a bit.

A. They add their gratuity @ approx 10% ( I am basing this on a one time experience)
B. Aerated drinks (my guesstimate about 150 ml) costs 45 rupees felt is a little over priced.

For 2 people inclusive of vat we paid about 750-/. All said - did quite like the food.

Best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks