Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 18:42   #3061
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Their food ( Thali and other items) is above average and for Tirupathi standards maybe even excellent. Not sure how they will fare compared to the big guns of Hyderabad like Chutneys and Minerva Coffee Shop.
Bhimas is no longer what it used to be.

Try Mayura (near the bus stand) the next time you visit TTD. Minerva (highly overrated IMNSHO) et al are a joke in comparison.

Regards,
spadix
Old 2nd April 2011, 04:49   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
All restaurants which serve North-West Frontier Province (NWFP) cuisine [or Peshawari as some call it as Peshawar is the capital of NWFP] will essentially have the same or similiar dishes.

After all, at the end of the day, they are all serving the same cuisine.

Visit Bukhara (in Maurya Sheraton at Delhi) and you will find the same food.
lets not compare bukhara/peshawari/kababs&curries to sahib sindh sultan or khan saab.

they are totally different taste wise and cannot be compared even though the items may be from the same region.

what i meant was khan saab's menu was identical to sahib sindh sultan's. it was a virtual xerox with a few words changed.
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:53   #3063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Had been to Bar-b-que nation for lunch but the timings seem to have gone wrong. Starting today, they have hiked their weekday buffet prices to 566 (All inclusive). Our team decided to walk out of that place as it isnt any more a value for Money place.
Absolutely ridiculous pricing. They are taking their customers for granted thinking those who are hooked will anyways pay the price irrespective of the hike.

Any idea about dinner buffet? I shudder to think what could be it's price now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Bhimas is no longer what it used to be.

Try Mayura (near the bus stand) the next time you visit TTD. Minerva (highly overrated IMNSHO) et al are a joke in comparison.
I meant Bhimas in Tirupathi not Tirumala.

Been to Mayura several times and they too are overrated. They serve in a huge 1km long hall and you feel like your sitting in a langar

Minerva is still upmarket in terms of presentation, quality compared to Mayura which is like any decent swathi tiffin center. Only thing that i dont like about Minvera and Chutneys the time they hand over the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
lets not compare bukhara/peshawari/kababs&curries to sahib sindh sultan or khan saab.
+1. They are super high class restuarants housed in 5* hotels and are known nationally for their peshwari cuisine and rightly so cannot be compared with Khan Saab's and SSS's of this world.

For that matter, the first time i tasted GIKF was in Raddisson Delhi. The one in Hyderabad quality-wise is no where closer.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd April 2011 at 13:55.
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:22   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I meant Bhimas in Tirupathi not Tirumala.

Been to Mayura several times and they too are overrated. They serve in a huge 1km long hall and you feel like your sitting in a langar

Minerva is still upmarket in terms of presentation, quality compared to Mayura which is like any decent swathi tiffin center.
I'm talking about the Bhimas and Mayura in Tirupati as well. The Mayura outlet in Tirumala is kaam-chalau types, and not meant to be classy.

Try the Mayura near Tirupati bus stand the next time you're on a TTD tour.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th April 2011, 12:19   #3065
BHPian

Quote:
Lunch today was at Bhimas Chitram, 1367, Road No. 45, Jubilee Hills ; 2360-6400/6620 ;
Not bad, my eating at Bhimas Chitram is making news.

Literally ; Seriously ;

Here is me eating at Bhimas Chitram the other day.

The Hindu : Metro Plus Hyderabad / Food : Go with Bhima's appetite

For those who cannot recognize me, I am the one in black half sleeved shirt.

Thanks Imran for the link.
Old 4th April 2011, 13:14   #3066
Senior - BHPian

Theres this relatively new place that has opened up next to Woodlands in A S Rao Nagar,called Urban Flavours.It looked good from the outside and so decided to give it a try.The moment we walked in,we knew we had been had.The menu is atrociously priced.A palak paneer cost us INR 170 and it was absolutely tasteless.Thank goodness we opted for the takeaway and not to mention the place charges a 5 % SC as well.This is a completely must avoid place-go hungry rather than eat here!The flip side was that inspite of the atrocious pricing,the place does not think its important to have a good menu card in place.They have a folder with the items laser printed and inserted into the leaves.Shucks!

Woodlands is any day the best bet for people this side of the city.Sandarshini has gone down terribly in the cleanliness and hygiene department.

PS and just a fun observation,why is it that people who serve in the so called woodlandses and sandarshinis prefer to keep barefoot and let their heel skin cracks keep widening.Not at all a pleasant sight!For those who havent noticed it,take a look at their legs the next time!

Also another thing that people tend to miss is the new fad of levying service charge,I have observed many of these so called places levying a SC charge on takeaways,somethign that is illegal.So next time you see a SC on their bill for a takeaway,get it reversed as you are not availing any of their so called services.
Old 4th April 2011, 13:15   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Literally ; Seriously ;

Thanx for sharing the link!Good to see that the dish in your hand is getting undivided attention
Old 4th April 2011, 13:23   #3068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Literally ; Seriously ;

And a screen shot from the newspaper. Today's Hindu Metro Section.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-hyd.jpg
Old 6th April 2011, 14:18   #3069
Senior - BHPian

Visited Pakwaan for a takeaway this afternoon.

1, Chicken Biriyani Jumbo Pack-5 No's
2, Veg Biriyani-10 No's

Chicken Biriyani was yummy, perfect blend of rice,spices and chicken.

The mirchi Ka saalan and Raita was also perfect.

Total Damages-Rs 2,150 and (The meal was more than enough to feed 40 people).
Old 6th April 2011, 15:00   #3070
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to visit Blue Fox ( Not the Himayathnagar outlet). Anyone been to the Ameerpet or Banjara Hills one? Reviews please?
Old 6th April 2011, 15:04   #3071
Senior - BHPian

Was at Harry's yesterday,and somehow the place disappointed me.We went with the simple Chicken Burger,but unfortunately,it just tasted awful and there was a tossed vegetable salad to go with it,which again was awful.So unfortunately I dont think I would be going back there anytime soon.Thumbs down for me.There was just a lot of mayo and a lot of meat,and some cinnamon sauce,something was definitely amiss.The burger was la-universal kind of burger!

After that tried out the McSpicy at Mcdonalds(the recently launched burger)and must say,it did taste pretty good,though it comes at a premium.INR 89 for a burger and INR 149 for a meal.

Rounded off the night with a well deserved rose falooda from the guy opposite ICICI Karkhana.It was just out of this world for a falooda freak like me.

The takeaway menu is filled with misspelt words as well,something I am sure does not speak of professionalism
Old 6th April 2011, 15:27   #3072
BHPian

Urban Asia :- Jubilee Hills.

veg and prawn tempura (sushi)
chicken satay
malaysian prawns(yellow gravy with decent chunks of prawns)
steamed rice

total bill for 2 - inr 1300.

Nice place ,food ,ambience
Old 6th April 2011, 15:34   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Ista disappoints :(

We always liked the food at Ista, somehow. Before the last visit I dined at the place at least 3/4 times and liked the food every time. In particular there is a dish where Sesame seed powder is mixed with rice (nuvvula podi annam) which is done really well there. Now, this is no non-standard dish and every good Gulti worth his name would have a jar of nuvvula podi at home at all times, but the Ista preparation is very different (and very good) in taste compared to what we have at home.

To our surprise this dish has been removed from the menu. Now because we had gone all the way and didn't cook anything at home we decided to dine out in any case and ordered a platter of veg starters, some veg biryani and a couple of plates of jowhari roti. The last was courtesy of a Konkani cuisine festival they had going on (waiters dressed in sunny beach costumes or in traditional Konkani wear etc.).

We found the fare pretty average for the price, although everything was very well-cooked and served piping hot. It wasn't something you would want to go there again for :(. Despite it being a holiday/weekend there was hardly anyone at the restaurant (Deori).

No more Ista for us, then, in the near future.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th April 2011, 15:54   #3074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Was at Harry's yesterday,and somehow the place disappointed me.
I was also at Harry's Diner last night for dinner after watching FALTU movie.

I ordered 2 Chicken Cilantro Soups, 1 Cheese Fries, 1 Ceaser's Salad, 1 Harry's Meat Salad & 1 Chicken Arabiata (Pasta) between the three of us.

Cannot say the food was awesome but certainly enjoyable, tasty, filling and pretty satisfying. The quantity of meat that Harish adds to each dish is amazing as are the dish sizes.

The burger ordered by a patron on the table next to mine (before that gentleman ordered a pizza and a coke) was stacked quite high and was tower like. I have not seen such burgers except on TV on TLC.

Ranjit, since I do not recognize you, I could not identify you, that is if we were there at the same time. I reached at 8:30/8:40pm and left at 9:20/9:30pm. I was the one with old parents (they were the only white haired people in there at that time).

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 6th April 2011 at 16:03. Reason: Sorry, I had gone day-before and not yesterday so could not have bumped into each other at all.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:59   #3075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
After that tried out the McSpicy at Mcdonalds(the recently launched burger)and must say,it did taste pretty good,though it comes at a premium.INR 89 for a burger and INR 149 for a meal.
Harry's Diner is just about OK. Nothing to rave about.

I hate McDonald Burgers ( Havent had the new one though) and prefer KFC burgers instead.

However, my all time favorite for burgers are only 2 places :-

1. King & Cardinal ( Only Chicken, Mutton sucks)

2. Forgetting the name of the outlet @Srinagar Colony Road ( Only Mutton, Chicken sucks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Urban Asia :- Jubilee Hills.

veg and prawn tempura (sushi)
chicken satay
malaysian prawns(yellow gravy with decent chunks of prawns)
steamed rice

total bill for 2 - inr 1300.

Nice place ,food ,ambience
Seems like an expensive place. Do you have the break-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
No more Ista for us, then, in the near future.
We had one team-bhp dinner meet here. Neither the food nor the main reason most of the folks turned up was good

Most Viewed