Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 17:08   #3211
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
MCH at somajiguda is pure veggitarian. For that matter all Minerva's are veggie places.

Also, I dont recommend neither Golconda nor Moksh. Golconda being terribly expensive after all its a 4* property and Moksh is an inconsistent place.

@Krishna, There has been a similar request for banquet by some other member on this thread some months ago. Please search and read through responses and iam sure that will help you.

Sure I have searched the thread, didn't seem to find any threads, I'm also looking at all the comments made in this thread..Thanks for heads up on Golconda yes its too expensive. Need ones that are lower in rates.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:13   #3212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
Sure I have searched the thread, didn't seem to find any threads, I'm also looking at all the comments made in this thread..Thanks for heads up on Golconda yes its too expensive. Need ones that are lower in rates.
Which means you havent searched properly. Please read from post#2969 onwards in this thread to get a fair understanding of what options you have for hosting a banquet party.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 03:36   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Golkonda at Masab Tank is also a good place and serves NV.
Quote:
Also, I dont recommend neither Golconda nor Moksh. Golconda being terribly expensive after all its a 4* property and Moksh is an inconsistent place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
Thanks for heads up on Golconda yes its too expensive. Need ones that are lower in rates.
I am sorry but I beg to disagree that Golkonda (note the "k" in the name) is expensive.

Well, it may be expensive in Ala-Carte which I have never tried but it certainly is not in banquets based on my recent experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Anyway, tonight I cannot get homely food as I am scheduled to check out Apollo Fish and Mutton Biryani at Hotel Golkonda.
We had a banquet dinner for 45 pax which included an a/c hall with theatre style seating and a dias, 2 non veg (fish & chicken) and 2 veg snacks served for 2 hours, a wide variety of beverages including all fizzy ones and tropicana juices (PM me for the detailed list) served for 2 hours, 1 non veg main course (chicken), mutton biryani and all the regular veg main course dishes and salads and desserts as can be found in any standard buffet. The price quoted, charged and paid was Rs. 1,250 per head all inclusive. Of course, tips were extra.
Old 27th May 2011, 08:39   #3214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I am sorry but I beg to disagree that Golkonda (note the "k" in the name) is expensive.

The price quoted, charged and paid was Rs. 1,250 per head all inclusive. Of course, tips were extra.
Bajaj Saab, if that is not expensive, would love to hear what's expensive according to you. For mere mortals like us, that price is not just expensive but, ridiculously so. 60K for a 45 people party is too much

Just an example, in our family functions if we invite people just by skimming from top, it would be 200 people and typically our budgets have been in range of Rs.250-Rs.300 per head maximum. There is nothing called very closed knit affair.

Instead of catering, if you hire a cook and a decent place for the function. It would work out almost same price and cook can dish out some exotics like Patthar Ka Gosth, Nargisi Koftas, Haleem etc

Anyways, coming back to topic. Recently, I arranged for my team (45 PAX) dinner party at Food N I, in Madhapur ( Details a few post back) and we had a lovely lounge area at our disposal with welcome drink and snacks (3-4 NV and V items) including their famous dahi ke kebabs were served by waiters followed by a full fledge NV buffet dinner.

Guess what? We paid Rs.300/head (Ofcourse, after using a lot of my negotiation skills).

I am sure you'll agree with me that there is a "bit" of difference in pricing betweent Rs.300 vs. Rs.1250....G ambience would certainly be much upmarket but, then Food N I is surely not the down in dump types.

Krishna, if Madhapur as a location isnt a problem, you can try Food N' I. I can hook you up with a person that I know there.

Another options that come to mind that serve good spicy NV food

1. Blue Fox, Himayathnagar
2. Palace Heights, Abids
3. Minerva Grand, Park Lane
4. (Forgot name of hotel), right at clock towers crossroads in Sec'bad

All the above, you can get a nice place with good food served at a maximum of Rs.350/head

At #4, attended a family function sometime back and they have a decent place for hosting a party and good food. Infact, there was a TBHP lunch at this place after visit to a nearby forest exactly a year ago in summers. All of us relished the food there.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:16   #3215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. (Forgot name of hotel), right at clock towers crossroads in Sec'bad
Its called the "Times". A good 3 star hotel with very VFM rates .

Cheers
Old 27th May 2011, 11:32   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
You can never ever say who serves the best Biryani, as the taste buds of people savouring the Biryani differs, some like it without Masala, some with Masala, some with Double Masala.

I love my Biryani to be a perfect mix of "Sondhi Khushbo, Naram Boti, Lambe Chaawal aur Lazzatdar Akhni" (Tantalizing Aroma, Soft Pieces, Long Grain and Amazing Spices)

Bawarchi has long been stricked out of my list of "Lets Have A Biryani Here Today" places, special thanks to the overflowing oil and not so worth it taste. Paradise, the less spoken the better.

Listing down some of the places, which serve amazing Biryani, I would not say best as no one serves it the best. Listing them down as per my order of preference.
1. Shaghouse Hotel, Shalibanda
2. Hotel Sohail, Malakpet
3. Hotel Deccan Paradise, Shalibanda
4. Alpha Hotel, Secunderabad Station
5. Shadab Hotel, Madina
6. Zam Zam Hotel, Paradise X Roads
7. Mohini's, Basheer Bagh
8. Pakwaan, Tadbund
9. Shaghouse Hotel, Toli Chowki
10. Four Seasons, Yousuf Tekdi
11. Prince Hotel, Mehdipatman
So which one of these places serve the non-spicy version of the biryani.
I am not an avid lover of the chilli in the biryani and prefer the milder version.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:55   #3217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
So which one of these places serve the non-spicy version of the biryani.
I am not an avid lover of the chilli in the biryani and prefer the milder version.
I would bet on Alpha.

The biriyani served there is just perfect and dont forget to have pudding after Biriyani.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:20   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I would bet on Alpha.
The biriyani served there is just perfect and dont forget to have pudding after Biriyani.
+1 on that Waseem Bhai. Alpha serves the perfect biryani as per LonelyPlanet's needs. Not much of masala and very light on tummy too. I prefer having the Biryani there at Alpha Hotel First Floor, rather than having it as Take Away. However, preferences change once you get your +1 along and that's when Take Away Rule is imposed strictly.

I would rather not mind visiting Alpha Hotel for a Take Away, rather than keeping my +1 waiting outside some Bar, when I go in to buy the Biryani (no pun intended towards anyone, was a witness to someones real bad experience near one of the Bar's in Kachiguda, which serves great biryani the other day. Shall disclose details someother day)

Pudding, WOW! Alpha's pudding makes my mouth water but I would rather prefer the Egg-Pudding made by my Mom rather than having it at Alpha. If you know, how to make an Egg-Pudding, then avoid taking one off the shelf at Alpha. If you are too lazy to make one or don't really know how to make it, then load yourself with some amazing Pudding at Alpha itself.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:27   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
I am 100% in for tomorrow's lunch. Shall meet you at the Entrance Gate of the Venue at 12.30. I think this was the time we decided right. BTW, Bajaj Saab, are you in too.

OT: Do they also give it as Take-Away?

So was the Biryani worth the visit? Have heard so many praises from SILVERWOOD that I couldnt resist asking for one more time about the biryani taste.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:44   #3220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would rather not mind visiting Alpha Hotel for a Take Away, rather than keeping my +1 waiting outside some Bar, when I go in to buy the Biryani (no pun intended towards anyone, was a witness to someones real bad experience near one of the Bar's in Kachiguda, which serves great biryani the other day. Shall disclose details someother day)
However, good is a biryani. I have never or will ever get a "take-away" from a bar. Previous list was derived from experience of having it served there.

In my books, hotels like Alpha, Grand, Akbar, Parvaaz and similar sized erstwhile famous for biryani joints have become "were good" a decade ago

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th May 2011 at 14:46.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:28   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
Previous list was derived from experience of having it served there.
Avi Bhai, going by your foodie experience, I know you would never miss out on mentioning the best places to have food/which serve great food. I was always sure that those aren't the places you would visit for sure to have food.

Quote:
However, good is a biryani. I have never or will ever get a "take-away" from a bar.
Avi Bhai, It has nothing to do with your post on this thread. I was just refering to the joint, which was mentioned in the list. Saw a couple of "Highly SPIRITually Elated People" stepping out of that bar, hooting and shouting and passing lewd comments on seeing a female sitting alone in the car near the Bar. I guess her husband went into the bar to get something. That was the main reason, why I mentioned it.

Quote:
In my books, hotels like Alpha, Grand, Akbar, Parvaaz and similar sized erstwhile famous for biryani joints have become "were good" a decade ago
Every place, that used to serve tasty biryani seems to have lost out in the race as of now. It just the case of "Nai Maamu se Nakte Maanu Acche (something is better than nothing)". When you know, no one is great, atleast settle for someone who is doing it good now.

If you remember, I mentioned once about the Mutton Biryani at Gharonda Food Court, Padma Rao Nagar. I would love to go back and have it again, but not always. It's good once in a while.

Can you tell me, how many times in a month do you get Biryani as a take away? Once or max twice, I feel for once and twice, these outlets are good and should be satisfying. Yes, if I was to eat Biryani very frequently like 4-5 times in a week, then I think it would be a concern.

Jsut my 2 cents on this.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:23   #3222
BHPian

Angeethi
I do not remember when the weekday buffet prices were last posted here.
Here is the update.
It is presently priced @ Rs. 219 + taxes = Rs. 283.

Bowl-O-China
Pay Rs. 99 for Rs. 200 voucher at Deals & You (Rs 99 for Rs 200 worth Lip-Smacking Authentic Chinese Cuisine! A Flavorsome Treat to Your Taste Buds!)

Hyderabadi Delicacy (earlier Hyderabad House)
Pay Rs. 100 for Rs. 200 voucher at Taggle (50% Discount from Hyderabadi Delicacy Hyderabad | Taggle - Amazing Discounts Daily. Best Offers On Restaurants, Beauty, Travel And More For Your City)
Old 31st May 2011, 18:15   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Update.

Utupura Kerala Restaurant has opened a new branch @ GVK ONE.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:17   #3224
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any reviews on 'Nautanki Galli'? We have a team lunch hosted by freshers this Friday over there.

Also, I don't know where it is located.

Keeping the Nizam Club Meet in mind that evening, I guess I'll just hit the desert items during lunch.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:24   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Any reviews on 'Nautanki Galli'? We have a team lunch hosted by freshers this Friday over there.
Nautanki Gali is a even worser version of 70MM. If you think 70MM was pathetic, then multiply that Pathetic Value of 70MM by 10, the resultant value is Nautanki Gali's ranking on Pathetic Scale. The only think I liked about 70MM is their Fish in Oyster Sauce and that's what I've been for to 70MM till now. Say max 4 times. Nautanki Gali only once and then struck it out of my list of "Last Places to Eat, in case of a Catastrophe".

I would say, Deserts and Salads would be the only saving grace there, albeit they refill it before people scrape off the last its and bits of it. The time taken for a refill is lote more than the time taken, if ordered somewhere else as Al-a-Carte.

Last edited by traveloholic : 31st May 2011 at 19:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks