Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 16:32   #3841
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Now i know where to have my dinner tonight.

It will be Amritsari Fish and Bhunawa Gosth Sizzler for dinner tonight.
Note, any voucher bought cannot be used the same day. So postpone this dinner plan to tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I have in the last one week had chicken dum biryani twice from Fishland at Ameerpet (same chain as Lakdi-Ka-Pul). Priced at 138 all inclusive for take away is a steal. The biryani was awesome to say the least. 3 of us shared 1 plate over lunch both times.
Hmm, never had biryani from Fishland ( though I used to frequent the Lakdi-ka-pul one). So being a biryani fan, this goes in my list of trying out.
Old 24th October 2011, 16:39   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Nikhil. That is what I first ordered but at the last minute I had a change of heart and went for the fish.
Your heart tricked you and made you change your order from The Meat to SeaFood sizzler.
Quote:
Silverwood, go for bhuna hua gosht and tandoori chicken!
Waseem Bhai, don't go by my word. Bajaj Saab also says so.

Quote:
Is it the ghee they use, I mean, the amount of ghee they add which makes one feel bloated and filled to the throat even 3 hours after eating?
It has nothing to do with Ghee Bajaj Saab as the Ghee used at these outlets isn't Pure Ghee anymore and moreover, they don't use Ghee for cooking but only for that flavour or Aroma.

I guess, it more of has to do with the Soda what they use to make sure that you feel full. This is a normal ritual, followed by many restaurants, who want the visitor to feel the VFM factor. You aren't actually full but you just feel that way.

An actual Biryani can never be heavy on tummy, it's only the additive laced biryani, which feels heavy.

Have you anytime heard someone say "Kitni halki thi yaaro biryani (The Biryani was very light)" after attending a Walima (Wedding Reception). It means that the biryani was made in the actual way without much additives.

The main essence of a good Biryani are
1. It shouldn't be too oily
2. The Rice should not stick to each other
3. The Rice should not be laced with masala but the Akhni has to be seperate
4. The rice should not stick to my fingers, once I take of my hand from the plate. I mean, most of the rice has to fall back into the plate. That's what is a good biryani all about.

A couple of days back, someone mentioned about the pieces of Mutton in a Biryani being black. It is a good sign, which denotes that the quality of mutton used is of a good quality and isin't of inferior quality. These pieces are more of from those tender parts. Though, these pieces turn black as they tend to get overcooked quickly.

Host a party Bajaj Saab, will get my Khansama to cook at your place for your party. Haleem, Marag, Biryani & Double ka Meetha.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:03   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
A couple of days back, someone mentioned about the pieces of Mutton in a Biryani being black. It is a good sign, which denotes that the quality of mutton used is of a good quality and isin't of inferior quality. These pieces are more of from those tender parts. Though, these pieces turn black as they tend to get overcooked quickly.

Host a party Bajaj Saab, will get my Khansama to cook at your place for your party. Haleem, Marag, Biryani & Double ka Meetha.
The black mutton is in the biryani at Clay Pot. I can also say that when you touch a mutton piece in Clay Pot biryani with a finger, the piece just breaks apart. So well cooked are the pieces. But in the end the sum up is that his biryani is no more any good as it used to be when he was doing only home delivery from his apartment. Those were the days of satisfying food. The change of cook has impacted his quality.

Okay, so you still remember that I had enquired about my need to have a party where I can serve Marag. I will also need a snack in the menu. What do you suggest?
The menu will read as (1) Snack ; (2) Marag ; (3) Sheermal ; (4) Onion with Lemons ; (5) Haleem ; (6) Biryani ; (7) Mirchi Kaa Saalan ; (8) Dahi Chatni ; (9) Double Ka Meethaa ; (10) Paan ; What will it cost me per head? My list is around 10-15 people.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:08   #3844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Note, any voucher bought cannot be used the same day. So postpone this dinner plan to tomorrow
Nope Avi, you can use the voucher on the same day.Just cross checked with them.

I am all set to have Tandoori Chicken and Bhunawa Gosth Sizzler for dinner tonight.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 24th October 2011 at 17:10.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:12   #3845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Nope Avi, you can use the voucher on the same day.Just cross checked with them.

I am all set to have Tandoori Chicken and Bhunawa Gosth Sizzler for dinner tonight.
Ok! I remember seeing the fine print many times on this clause. Perhaps, they changed it recently.

Pictures of them please, I too bought a couple of vouchers and will visit them sometime next month as my social calender is totally choc-o-bloc till end of this month
Old 24th October 2011, 17:32   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Was at Olives & Cheese yesterday night.Overall disappointing for me.Garlic Bread was burnt and the cheese garlic bread was over-toasted to the point of tasting like rusk(toasts).Took the skin off from the insides of the mouth.They have an offer of free garlic bread in case your order value exceeds 300.Ordered a penne arabiatta which any pasta maker worth his salt shouldnt go wrong with,but I somehow did not like it.The pasta and the sauce stayed separate.Very very amateurish.

Pricing is moderate and the place is clean,but they need to go miles and miles on developing their taste and also including more pastas in their menu.There are hardly any options at the moment.I have been frequenting this place since the time they started and were a take away.I was disappointed then also and sadly the disappointment continues.A promising place but like I mentioned earlier has miles to go before being called an Italian joint.Not going back.

Mayabazaar continues to be good and very reasonably priced and they continue to stay away from the service charge lure!
Old 24th October 2011, 18:13   #3847
Team-BHP Support

In my honest opinion:
Black mutton is not an indication of good quality. Mutton turns black if its overcooked.

Also the reason some of these biryani's are heavy is not just ghee, but the use of animal fat or palm oil instead of refined sunflower oil.
Sticky masala with a gritty feel usually indicates excessive use of dhania powder.

Dhania powder has lovely flavor but it also works as a masking agent.

Last edited by bblost : 24th October 2011 at 18:17.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:15   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so you still remember that I had enquired about my need to have a party where I can serve Marag. I will also need a snack in the menu. What do you suggest?
The menu will read as (1) Snack ; (2) Marag ; (3) Sheermal ; (4) Onion with Lemons ; (5) Haleem ; (6) Biryani ; (7) Mirchi Kaa Saalan ; (8) Dahi Chatni ; (9) Double Ka Meethaa ; (10) Paan ; What will it cost me per head? My list is around 10-15 people.
10-15 people is a way too less number to get a Khansama to cook food for you but shall surely have a word with him and get him to make the food for you.

Would you like to have it cooked or catered? I shall have a word with him about getting it catered to you. I would suggest Cooked. Give him a good corner in your appartments to cook the food and he will deliver you the best results for sure. The only pain would be sourcing a couple of things all by yourself like the Sheermal, Paan and Raw Material for the dishes. My 2 cents still suggest getting it cooked at the venue rather than catered.

(1) Snack - Bruised Chicken, Roasted Chicken, Chicken Fry, Chicken Spring Rolls
(2) Marag - Marag is only made with Mutton
(3) Haleem - Mutton Haleem
(4) Biryani - Muttom Biryani
(5) Sheermal - Can be procured fresh from Mallepally/Nampally/Malakpet
(6) Mirchi Kaa Saalan
(7) Dahi Chatni
(8) Onion with Lemons
(9) Double Ka Meethaa
(10) Paan - Can be procured fresh from Mallepally

If you can get it cooked, then only things you would need to procure would be Onions, Curds, Sugar, Garam Masala and stuff. He will hand over the list of ingredients to us and we can get the things accordingly.

We can also ask him to get the Chicken, Mutton and Bread for Double ka Meetha by himself. He would know which part of the mutton goes better with which dish.

With regards to procuring the Sheermal and Paan, I can guide you to the nearest outlet at Nampally, which should be very convinient to you.

Do let me know the dates, so that I can have a word with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In my honest opinion: Black mutton is not an indication of good quality. Mutton turns black if its overcooked.
As I have been well acquainted with the Meat Suppliers to many restaurants all over the city, I have seen the mutton being selected and how it turns out to be. The tender part of the meat turns black the quickest. The tender the meat, the quicker it cooks and the quicker it cooks, more the chances of it getting over cooked. The overcooked mutton doesnot taste succelent at all. The overcooked mutton has a rubbery kind of a texture in it. On the same lines, the overcooked tender mutton doesnot get that rubbery kind of a texture to it.

The Melt-in-the-mouth types of pieces of meat in the Mutton Biryani are mostly the tender ones. I can go for ages with this thing, as have seen the whole process from a very close quarter. Right from selecting the animal to getting it slaughtered to getting it cubed as per requirement and then seeing it get marinated and cooked to be a part of the succulent biryani at many outlets. One of the favorite examples would be Mutton Biryani at Gharonda Food Court, Padma Rao Nagar. One of the most tender pieces of mutton and never overcooked. Hence, you would find then to be of the same color as of the normal mutton piece. The difference is only when you devour it.

Last edited by traveloholic : 24th October 2011 at 18:26.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:27   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ok! I remember seeing the fine print many times on this clause. Perhaps, they changed it recently.
You are mixing up SoSasta with Snapdeal. SoSasta requires you to use next day onwards.

Quote:
10-15 people is a way too less number to get a Khansama to cook food for you but shall surely have a word with him and get him to make the food for you.
Do let me know the dates, so that I can have a word with him.
Well, since I need to get this party done for my building neighbours, the numbers would remain between 10 and 15 only.

I have space for getting it cooked here though I am amenable to catered service also.

Let me know the price idea per head and only if I can afford it, I can then find out from my building neighbours as to which date suits most of us.

Thanks a lot for helping me out!
Old 24th October 2011, 18:40   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Sticky masala with a gritty feel usually indicates excessive use of dhania powder.
+1 on the Dhaniya Powder part. Imran, when ever you are out of your diet regime and willing to sink yourself in to the Sin of Partaking in a Gastronomical Adventure, then I would suggest you give the Mutton/Chicken Biryani at Alpha Hotel, Secunderabad Station a try. The lightest biryani i've ever had.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 18:45   #3851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As I have been well acquainted with the Meat Suppliers to many restaurants all over the city, I have seen the mutton being selected and how it turns out to be. The tender part of the meat turns black the quickest. The tender the meat, the quicker it cooks and the quicker it cooks, more the chances of it getting over cooked. The overcooked mutton doesnot taste succelent at all. The overcooked mutton has a rubbery kind of a texture in it. On the same lines, the overcooked tender mutton doesnot get that rubbery kind of a texture to it.

The Melt-in-the-mouth types of pieces of meat in the Mutton Biryani are mostly the tender ones. I can go for ages with this thing, as have seen the whole process from a very close quarter. Right from selecting the animal to getting it slaughtered to getting it cubed as per requirement and then seeing it get marinated and cooked to be a part of the succulent biryani at many outlets. One of the favorite examples would be Mutton Biryani at Gharonda Food Court, Padma Rao Nagar. One of the most tender pieces of mutton and never overcooked. Hence, you would find then to be of the same color as of the normal mutton piece. The difference is only when you devour it.
Nikhil,
Let me rephrase my earlier statement:
to: Black mutton is not necessarily an indication of good quality.

and Nikhil I have no diet regime. I eat anything and everything as long as its permissible(halal) for me to eat it.

Last edited by bblost : 24th October 2011 at 19:00.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:12   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Black mutton is not necessarily an indication of good quality.
I accept this. Not every Black Mutton Piece necessarily indicate superior quality of meat. All this discussion of meat has left me HUNGRY, need to visit Ohri's for Sikandari Raan now.

Quote:
Nikhil I have no diet regime. I eat anything and everything as long as its permissible(halal) for me to eat it.
I thought you were dieting. Most of the outlets I guess sell things which are Permissible for you to eat. So, try Biryani at Alpha Hotel.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:40   #3853
BHPian

As it happens, a day in my life when I am not invited for a party, any party at all, even a birthday party would have sufficed. But Alas!

Anyway, nowhere to go so sitting at home idling away the evening, I started browsing some old albums and here I come across a photo of me eating merrily at Souza Lobo in Goa.

This photo got my taste buds tingling and now I need to satiate my craving.

I wish to eat a nice Pork Vindaloo!

Any pointers where I can get to eat this dish in Hyderabad?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:59   #3854
BHPian

Quote:
Nikhil,
Let me rephrase my earlier statement:
to: Black mutton is not necessarily an indication of good quality.
Quote:
I accept this. Not every Black Mutton Piece necessarily indicate superior quality of meat.
The reason why the meat of Clay Pot was black is it is not a kachchi dum biryani at all. That guy makes pulao style biryani or pakki biryani. Another place where you will see dark pieces of meat is Sri kanya and it is not biryani. Just fried pieces of meat covered by pulao rice.

Last couple of nights was gastronomical delight. A friend's nikaah day before followed by valima dnner last night. Unbelievably good food and ek dum halki biryani. Starters, main course, rotis, sheermal, mirchi ka salan, paya, khubani ka meetha - each and every item was a cracker. That according to me was the best old city chefs offer.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:06   #3855
Senior - BHPian

Last evening i had been to Fishland Restaurant @ Ameerpet and ordered Chicken Dum Biriyani Priced at Rs 160.

It is a must try, absolutely delectable.3 medium sized chicken peices with juicy rice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks