Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 15:25   #4516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Dunno about the difference in tastes. But I would anyday pay 40 bucks more for the Jubilee hills one over the Somajiguda minerva. The latter has a horrible basement parking and it reminds me of the old dingy wet and dark dungeons. I would never park my car there. Atleast the one in JH check post has better parking, even though its open.
I was referring to Himayathnagar which is the original outlet and still the most jam-packed. On sundays, he keeps plastic chairs outside and people sit and wait on it as if there is a langar going on inside

Somajiguda has been struck out of my list long long ago. No wonder they figure on coupons website often ( snapdeal, dealsandyou etc). No prizes for guessing these coupons websites only advertise joints that dont do too well.

Himayathnagar Minerva is impeccable in all standards. Hygiene, taste, super fast service and ample parking on the road (GHMC parking)

P.S: This reminds me. I paid Rs.10 for parking outside Chutneys on Sunday for my bike. It seems Rs.20 for car. This is ridiculous. Are they in competition to catch up with mall parking rates?
Old 20th June 2012, 15:43   #4517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dunno about the difference in tastes. But I would anyday pay 40 bucks more for the Jubilee hills one over the Somajiguda minerva. The latter has a horrible basement parking and it reminds me of the old dingy wet and dark dungeons. I would never park my car there. Atleast the one in JH check post has better parking, even though its open.
Yes agree on the dungeon style parking,but then you dont really have to park it yourself.There is valet parking available for Amrutha Mall(the complex where Minerva is located) and the valets are pretty careful with the cars.It comes at a price of INR10 IIRC.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:51   #4518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
the valets are pretty careful with the cars.It comes at a price of INR10 IIRC.

Well. The other day, the valet at Utsav tried to force close my i20s auto folding mirrors. The mirrors resisted quite a bit but he still tried to use all his muscle power. Luckily I turned around to look at my beauty from a distance and I was . I quickly ran to him and explained him about this and he was grinning and scratching his head.

This has happened at quite a few places where there is a squeeze for parking. So am little sceptical about handing over the keys to the valets.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:30   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I was referring to Himayathnagar which is the original outlet and still the most jam-packed.

Somajiguda has been struck out of my list long long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There is valet parking available for Amrutha Mall(the complex where Minerva is located) and the valets are pretty careful with the cars.
Minerva Coffee Shop at Somajiguda is not owned by the owner of Minerva Coffee Shop at Himayatnagar.

Maybe of the same family which had a split or whatever but not the same person.

Some one who knows the family secrets may know the full facts.

Somajiguda : Minerva Coffee Shop

Rest : Minerva Coffee Shop | Contact Us
Old 20th June 2012, 16:56   #4520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post

Talking about difference in the taste across regions. I was shocked to see the upma that was served to me initially here in Hyderabad since we are used to a more solid look compared to the watery gooey look here which I have not still managed to come to terms with. To make matters worse, most of the Kerala restaurants I have tried did not have Upma on their menu and hence I am deprived of having the kind of Upma I like. There is a restaurant (earlier it used to be a jewellery shop) at Madhapur named "Taamaram", just besides Cafe Nandhini which serves pretty OK Upma, just that it's a bit too oily.
Very true - Dont like the watery, gooey upma at all. Upma is also nice at Nandini in Madhapur which is a personal favourite for a few other items too - nice crunchy thick dosa, vada and amazing filter coffee !!!

Any one else who can recommend other places to have the humble upma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Minerva Coffee Shop at Somajiguda is not owned by the owner of Minerva Coffee Shop at Himayatnagar.
That explains ... I find Minerva at JH Checkpost quite decent esp. the dosa - but had tried at Minerva Somajiguda and it wasnt anything special. Havent been to the H'nagar one ... that one seems to be one to go to, as per mobike008!
Old 20th June 2012, 17:31   #4521
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a difference in taste for both outlets?

I can certainly see the difference in price. Rs. 120 vs Rs. 160 for a thali
Not in taste, but the ambience is lot better (not that the other is bad just that this one is better) and adds to the good food factor ... that difference may be showing up in the price as well
Old 20th June 2012, 18:26   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
P.S: This reminds me. I paid Rs.10 for parking outside Chutneys on Sunday for my bike. It seems Rs.20 for car. This is ridiculous.
OT:
If you park your car at creamstone, Himayatnagar, you have to pay 10 bucks. Not surprised? Ok, you have parked and sitting inside the car waiting for your order to arrive and still, you pay!

I thought the road widening was done to reduce the traffic by giving more space for vehicles to move. But now, they are being used for parking!
Old 21st June 2012, 10:59   #4523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
OT:
If you park your car at creamstone, Himayatnagar, you have to pay 10 bucks. Not surprised? Ok, you have parked and sitting inside the car waiting for your order to arrive and still, you pay!
That's interesting but, if i am eating out in Himayathnagar, I am on my BULL and not in a car so it doesnt matter.

Btw, yesterday the owners of Creamstone (Naveen Reddy and Abhilash) served us personally in lane next to Clove. It seems they are open until 12:30am but, all business happens in beside lane. Lots of cars with family stopping in that lane and gorging on the ice-creams including a posse of policemen digging into their free bowls of ice-creams

Btw, you should try out their "Kala Jamun" Flavour. It was simply out of this world.

P.S: All outlets of Creamstone is owned by the same owner who runs Haridwar Hotel in Koti. Nice!!!

P.S 2: Owners said they opened just 3 months ago. No wonder i didnt notice them.

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st June 2012 at 11:01.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:15   #4524
BHPian

Quote:
It seems they are open until 12:30am but, all business happens in beside lane. Lots of cars with family stopping in that lane and gorging on the ice-creams including a posse of policemen digging into their free bowls of ice-creams

Btw, you should try out their "Kala Jamun" Flavour. It was simply out of this world.
Me too had lip smacking ice cream along with my friends at this place a lot of times. We usually go there on weeknights when there is lesser patrolling and these guys are open until like 1am. My favourite though is the Ferrero Rocher. Our usual itinerary on such nights: Strawberry milkshake at CCD on the SP road, drive to necklace road, have one cornetto at one of the numerous ice cream bandis there, then midnight buffet at Green Park (love their shorbas and haleem) and then ice cream at Creamstone. Yummy!!
Old 21st June 2012, 11:56   #4525
BHPian

This monday, a Bengali friend of mine, who was in town house hunting as he has been transferred here from Bangalore, saw Calcutta Cabiin at Kondapur so invited me over for lunch.

Calcutta Cabiin is below Kerala Kitchen and opposite Bar-One/Club-8/Haveli.

I was first treated to Fish Orly, a boneless thin fillet of fish coated in batter and deep fried. It was served with Chinese Chilli Sauce. However, my friend spoke to the Chef (the waiters are not Bengalis and have no clue of Bengali names) who instantly got us a mustard sauce. Amazingly pungent sauce was yummy. The fish was decent and the only fault was that the fillet was too thin and some oil had seeped in through the batter. 2 pieces per plate.

Next on the agenda was Mutton Chop. I was visualising a nice rib of lamb to be served to me but what I got was a keema cutlet. Delicious though I would not go back for this dish. 2 pieces per plate.

Before I miss out, one more friend was also there and he is a pure veggie. He was served bullet shaped cutlets and from the looks of the stuffing, I think it was beetroot. 4 pieces per plate.

We then moved on to the main course and ordered basic veggie thali. It had dry okra, dry potato, lentil, sweet mango chutney and a few more things. The sweet was kheer or something which I do not eat. Was also served a veg cutlet which was the starter with the thali. Also, a small egg plant fried. All in all, basic thali and nothing much Bengali about it. Did eat many luchis (puri) as part of the thali.

My thali was supplemented by some a-la-carte dishes.

One was a boneless fillet of fish cooked in banana leaf and heavily marinated with mustard. Yummy!!! I enjoyed eating it with the rice. 2 pieces per plate.

The other was the Hilsa in mustard gravy. My friend seemed to have enjoyed it but I do not know the method to debone and eat a fish so could not enjoy it though gravy was nice. The plate had only one piece and my friend did split the piece in such a way that I got very less bones but then, I found it difficult.

All in all, a nice satisfying meal and from the looks of my friend (when he was presented the bill), looks like a VFM meal and worth visiting again.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:58   #4526
BHPian

Quote:
P.S: All outlets of Creamstone is owned by the same owner who runs Haridwar Hotel in Koti. Nice!!.
IIRC, Haridwar is also owned by the Scoops Guys. No doubt, they ventured into serving Ice Creams to HNI's as Creamstone and for all others, it's still Scoops. They have their factory/manufacturing unit right behind Haridwar Hotel. It's the same building that houses Haridwar Hotel and Scoops outlet at Kothi. If you look closely, you will notice the manufacturing unit.

Quote:
This monday, a Bengali friend of mine, who was in town house hunting as he has been transferred here from Bangalore, saw Calcutta Cabiin at Kondapur so invited me over for lunch.
Bajaj Saab, where are the customary pics? I was waiting for the pics to accompany the review.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:09   #4527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
midnight buffet at Green Park (love their shorbas and haleem)
Ah! Green Park. Love their midnight buffet. I would easily rate them in top 3. No confusion by keeping 100 different items. Only few items which make sense like Shorba, Haleem, Mutton Biryani and couple of curries and your good to go

However, I dont like their ice-creams. They keep it in a crude way. Large lumps of strawberry, Vanilla etc...And taste a bit rough too

Quote:
Calcutta Cabiin is below Kerala Kitchen and opposite Bar-One/Club-8/Haveli.
Going by your review Bajaj Saab. That looked like a half baked attempt at saying CC was a good place to eat. I am sure you wont go back there again ( purely my assumption)

Time to give Bengali Samithi Thali a try which is at lower tank bund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
IIRC, Haridwar is also owned by the Scoops Guys. No doubt, they ventured into serving Ice Creams to HNI's as Creamstone and for all others, it's still Scoops.
Scoops is indeed owned by them and did notice it many times when I visit lane behind them to that sweet shop and also to my cousins place who live near VPG

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st June 2012 at 13:10.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:31   #4528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Bajaj Saab, where are the customary pics? I was waiting for the pics to accompany the review.
Quote:

yesterday the owners of Creamstone
Quote:
Me too had lip smacking ice cream along with my friends at this place a lot of times.

IMHO and me just playing the Devil's advocate here,creamstone is terribly overpriced and the rush at their Jubilee Hills outlet leaves me totally confused as to if its the people who are insensitive to the word-VFM or is it Creamstone who is good at fleecing!A small bowl of icecream(ferrorocher)is priced at INR172 is terrible.What I hate most of them is they forcibly bring all the icecreams with a sick waffle cone, which has a strong taste of egg?, taking up half the bowl so that it gives you an illusion that the bowl is full of icecream.A very bad attempt indeed.Whats more they dont even tell you that you are paying extra for that waffle-they dont even give you the option of saying NO.Overall I am saddened by the place.The story is the same with almost all of these so called niche ice cream places on that road,too many hidden charges.One outlet has a regular size on the menu but when you place an order,it is only the large one that is served by default,the waffle is forced onto you by default and charged extra almost always.I always wonder is it so difficult to do business by being sincere and being upfront with the customer.

OT:Ran into Puneet Mehta-the gregarious Punjabi who was a participant at Star Plus-Master Chef2,at the local vegetable place doing what?Buying vegetables.I was tempted to ask him what was he cooking!Apparently he stays in the vicinity.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 21st June 2012 at 13:35.
Old 21st June 2012, 14:04   #4529
BHPian

Quote:

We then moved on to the main course and ordered basic veggie thali.

The other was the Hilsa in mustard gravy. My friend seemed to have enjoyed it but I do not know the method to debone and eat a fish so could not enjoy it though gravy was nice. The plate had only one piece and my friend did split the piece in such a way that I got very less bones but then, I found it difficult.
There is no way you can enjoy the Bengali fish in mustard gravy until you master the art of debone-ing. And once you do, it will come to you as naturally as driving to a tbhpian and mustard gravy becomes synonymous to fish. Those who have been brought up in Bengal and Bihar will identify better with what I am trying to say. This mastery comes at the expense of multiple memorable instances of a fine bone struck in you throat which is pushed down by simply gulping down a lump of boiled rice from you plate or roti(water won't help). Sounds scary but it is infact a lot of fun.
For me Fish without mustard gravy or the fish without the bones is not satisfying enough to be called a meal. I still crave for fish in mustard gravy day and night.
However bengalis cut their fish torso in a different way and they have rectangular belly cuts with solid and straight bones. you can ask the owner to serve you the belly piece, its much much easier to eat and its called "peti" traditionally. I used to do this for my friend who was novice in the art of Bengali fish eating, at a different bengali joint in Gachibowli. But a true blue bengali may take a serious offense if he is served with a belly piece as a sign of being treated as novice and a disrespect to his fish eating skills. So the restaurant owners don't serve it by default. Some also claim that there is a slight difference in taste.
You should also try their chicken and mutton. They were very flavorful and spicy in true sense i.e. without being high on chilly and were in a rich and thick onion and tomato gravy. I especially liked their chicken, I am very sensitive to mutton's flavor and many a times I don't quite like it unless the "mutton flavor" is brutally killed with garlic and prolonged marination. But others may enjoy that. Their Non Veg thali which comes for 250 has all the three preparations i.e. chicken, mutton and fish.
It was unfortunate and surprising that the sweet served with the thali wasn't misti doi(dahi). It is served in a small earthen pot(kullahad) like matka kulfi and has a taste and flavor that can only be experienced and not expressed. I had it at Calcutta Cabiin the last time I visited.

Quote:
Going by your review Bajaj Saab. That looked like a half baked attempt at saying CC was a good place to eat.
A non bengali coming out of a bengali joint for the first time and that too having an all fish meal has to be a great food connoisseur to still give a positive review as not everyone is always ready to come out of their existing definitions and notions about the food and accept newer techniques of cooking and appreciate the taste. For example I am still not sure if I can make myself eat steamed fish and appreciate it. Bengali treatment of fish is different and complicated than the rest of India which is mostly a chicken and mutton eating majority. Reminds me a line from "Vicky Donor", "A man's character is known from the way he buys his fish ".

Last edited by huntrz : 21st June 2012 at 14:24.
Old 21st June 2012, 14:38   #4530
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Bajaj Saheb, you were the trigger.

Kerala Kitchen.

Decided to go to Calcutta Cabin, but last minute change of plans ended up in Kerela Kitchen.
Appam: Rs 18 (9)
Chicken Stew: 180
Porotta: 20 (3)
Prawns Roast: 220
Veg Meal: 135 (1)

All of the above were very good and a meal for 4 came to about 909 including the VAT.

We also ordered a Veg Khurma: 109.
It was ok.

I liked the service and the ambiance is quite decent.

Most Viewed