Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 09:57   #2761
Senior - BHPian

Watched the movie Eight Below last evening on TV.

The photography was great and the dogs in this movie have done a great job.

A must watch movie i must say.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:49   #2762
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched couple of movies :-

" Road to Perdition" Starring Tom Hanks

Wonderful movie and someone righly said Tom Hanks is too soft to look tough in a gangster role. Mood was good and reminded on of Godfather but, no way it can be compared to it as Godfather was a masterpiece in every way on its entire canvas.

3.75/5

Scream-3

Taking this series further just for the heck of it. But, the first part still remains the best and an anthem for slasher movies. Btw, i got this movie only for Jenny McCarthy

Alas, her role was a teeny weeny bit only.

Nice time pass flick

3/5

P.S: Next in line is the horror flick. "The people under the stairs". Anyone seen it?
Old 15th September 2010, 12:33   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Grindhouse/exploitation films anyone?

3 of the films that come to my mind in an instant are :

Planet Terror
Death Proof
Black Dynamite

Guess Machete should be in the same league!

Last edited by blackasta : 15th September 2010 at 12:37.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:47   #2764
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched couple of movies :-

" Road to Perdition" Starring Tom Hanks

Wonderful movie and someone righly said Tom Hanks is too soft to look tough in a gangster role. Mood was good and reminded on of Godfather but, no way it can be compared to it as Godfather was a masterpiece in every way on its entire canvas.

3.75/5
One problem I found with Road to Perdition was that is was too bloody slow. There are a lot of shots of people looking at each other. There are shots of people walking slowly. There are major pauses in conversation when nothing happens.

Atleast 20 minutes of the movie can be cut without making any difference to the narrative & would actually make the movie better.

Another movie I had the same feeling about was Sergio Leone's "Once upon a time in the West" - again lots of shots where people are just looking at each other or walking or whatever.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:00   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Planet Terror
Death Proof
Black Dynamite

Is 'Death Proof' the same one starring Kurt Russell? The movie was kinda interesting at the start, but, the way it ended, it never felt like a movie at all
Old 15th September 2010, 14:01   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Face Off (1997)

Watched it again after many years. Didn't knew it was directed John Woo

Its a must watch action movie. At regular intervals we get dose of adrenaline pumping action to keep us entertained. Great script, great drama, Great acting by major star cast.

Travolta and Cage did an awesome job while in their role and then when swapping the face. Applaud-able.

Honestly, for me this is classic. I mean i must have seen this after 5-6 years and still the movie didn't loose its charm.

A must watch

5/5
Old 15th September 2010, 14:18   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Is 'Death Proof' the same one starring Kurt Russell? The movie was kinda interesting at the start, but, the way it ended, it never felt like a movie at all
Actually Tarantino devised it to ba a homage to the oldstyle grindhouse films - so we see a split second 'renaming card', the sudden 'missing reels', the color ->B/W->color switches, and super duper muscle cars. Never meant to be a very thought inspiring film
Also - did you notice that ranger earl appears in both death proof and planet terror? He also makes an appearance in 'Kill bill' and 'from dusk till dawn'.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:09   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Planet Terror
Death Proof
Black Dynamite

Have watched Planet Terror and Death Proof. Planet Terror is awesome. It is so much fun , you just have to switch off your brain and enjoy. I found Deathproof to be quite boring. There is lots and lots of talk that is initially funny, but then you get bored to death when the same cycle is repeated the next time. But the final chase scene makes up for all that. If i were to watch the movie again, i would just forward to that scene and get done with it .
I loved the Machete trailer which was part of Planet Terror. But I'm not sure if i can watch a whole movie. Robert Rodriguez has already said that he has ideas for 2 sequels ready.
I do watch a lot of zombie movies and most of them fall into this category. I wonder if anyone has watched Zombieland. It was also lots of fun.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:30   #2769
Senior - BHPian

I hope those who are talking about Death Proof have seen the DVD version and not the cut and shredded one that airs on the telly occasionally.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:18   #2770
BHPian

@blackasta

Yep! I noticed that foul mouthed ranger in all the films! Don't remember seeing him in From Dusk till Dawn though!

Though I liked Planet Terror better I like Deathproof as well. That girl Zoey is a real stuntwoman! She did Uma Therman's stunts in Kill Bill.

Has anyone noticed Tarantino's fetish with women's feet? There's always a scene involving a woman's foot.(Kill Bill, Dusk Till dawn, Deathproof, Basterds etc)
Old 15th September 2010, 16:22   #2771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Has anyone noticed Tarantino's fetish with women's feet? There's always a scene involving a woman's foot.(Kill Bill, Dusk Till dawn, Deathproof, Basterds etc)
+1. Not to mention the most amazing conversation revolving around " Foot Massage" in Pulp Fiction
Old 15th September 2010, 16:22   #2772
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. In Pulp Fiction also.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:29   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Have watched Planet Terror and Death Proof. Planet Terror is awesome. It is so much fun , you just have to switch off your brain and enjoy. I found Deathproof to be quite boring. There is lots and lots of talk that is initially funny, but then you get bored to death when the same cycle is repeated the next time. But the final chase scene makes up for all that. If i were to watch the movie again, i would just forward to that scene and get done with it .
I loved the Machete trailer which was part of Planet Terror. But I'm not sure if i can watch a whole movie. Robert Rodriguez has already said that he has ideas for 2 sequels ready.
I do watch a lot of zombie movies and most of them fall into this category. I wonder if anyone has watched Zombieland. It was also lots of fun.
I love that chase!!
Speaking about zombieland - I found it awesome. Dark/black comedy is one genre that's difficult to perform and I can never get enough of that!
BTW - anyone seen the films shaun of the dead and hot fuzz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I hope those who are talking about Death Proof have seen the DVD version and not the cut and shredded one that airs on the telly occasionally.
I do not have that cut in my collection. have the theatrical cuts (both), directors cut (both) and a scratch free cut of planet terror.

Quote:
@blackasta

Yep! I noticed that foul mouthed ranger in all the films! Don't remember seeing him in From Dusk till Dawn though!

Though I liked Planet Terror better I like Deathproof as well. That girl Zoey is a real stuntwoman! She did Uma Therman's stunts in Kill Bill.

Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. Not to mention the most amazing conversation revolving around " Foot Massage" in Pulp Fiction
Oh yeah.

I am a big fan of Tarantino and have 3x2 feet framed posters of Grindhouse, Inglorious Baterds and Pulp Fiction in my room.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:52   #2774
BHPian

Quote:

BTW - anyone seen the films shaun of the dead and hot fuzz?
Yep! Seen both of 'em. Like Shaun much better! If you like funny gory horror you've got to check out:

1. Dog Soldiers- Dir: Neil Marshall
2. Dead Alive aka Brain Dead- Dir: Peter Jackson
3. Bad Taste- Dir: Peter Jackson
Old 15th September 2010, 18:14   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah and me and friends love Tarantino movies so much we have a running joke about a head massage - you connect the dots!

Just watched Robin Hood - the 2010 movie. Well, love the character and this was a different take on him. Shows how he came to be and outlaw. Kinda ok...

Also watched "Swindled" on World movies or something - Spanish movie. Nice and watchable. Swindled (2004)

And has anyone watched "Wild Target" ? Hilarious movie - kinda black humour. Loved it!! Wild Target - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks