Senior - BHPian

Predators (2010)

Its an ok movie. One time watch.

Predators starring Arnold is still the best predator movie. Period

3/5
Old 26th September 2010, 22:59   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Watched the original Wall street(1987) 4/5

Starring charlie and martin sheen and michael douglas,a very nice movie.Good fast paced acting by douglas plays the part of a cold and ruthless corporate shark so well.That line "greed is good" in embedded in my phsyche now!

@GordonGekko Did you watch the new one?Do give us a review

Next up The treasure of sierra madre and Platoon.
Old 27th September 2010, 12:45   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Absolutely. I read the first novel way way back and was so impressed that i re-read a few times again. Never knew a movie would be made from it and would become equally successful. I agree these series are closest to book characterisation.
I think our indian directors were the first to adapt this novel to movie (ofcourse without paying any royalty to the writer ) . There was a Kamal Hassan starrer that was made probably in the 80s which is based on the first Bourne Novel.
Among the Bourne movies, I liked the Paul Greengrass directed movies better than the first one, while in the books, I liked the first book more than the last 2.

Talking about Paul Greengrass movies, has anyone watched "United 93" ? This movie tells the true story about the flight that was supposed to crash into the Whitehouse on 9/11 , but crashed into an empty field after the passengers fought back against the terrorists. It's a very well made movie and the writers did a lot of work researching each of the passengers on the plane and putting together their story from the phone calls they made to their relatives. I was hoping Greengrass would get an Oscar for this movie but "The Departed" swept all awards that year.
Old 27th September 2010, 22:10   #2809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
GRAN TORINO -

About Clint Eastwood, An old guy who just lost his wife and is also nearing his time. He makes friends with a Korean Teen who is his neighbour and gets into the young fights of the neighbourhood. He has a 1972 Gran Torino which everyone wants.

A very good performance by Clint. Not much of the car shown but nevertheless a very good movie. A bit boring at few scenes. I'd give it a 2.5 / 5.
Saw this movie today on HBO, a very nice movie, it's the first Clint Eastwood movie I saw, but, I must admit, he lived up to the hype. He did a great act.
All in all a nice movie wherein some scenes are heart wrenching (when Thao's sister returns home after being harassed by the gang).
I am a fan of Clint Eastwood NOW.
LOL! Too late, I guess...
Old 27th September 2010, 22:25   #2810
BHPian

Watched Wall Street - Money never sleeps and was disappointed as my expectations were a bit higher seeing the title. I expected the director to delve deep into the financial dealings, especially in light of the recent financial crisis. But all I see is those topics just touched upon.

I was disappointed may be because I have seen and read the events as they occurred and knew most of the things which were touched upon in the film. Also found the movie a bit too slow in narration.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:01   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
There was a Kamal Hassan starrer that was made probably in the 80s which is based on the first Bourne Novel.
I thought I was the only one who caught on to that. The movie name is
Vetri Vizha

Loved the book series and have to see the movie also. Only seen 1st part.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:09   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Dog Soldiers

The starcast is not well known so it robs half the entertainment quotient of movie. Still the actors does their job well.

For a werewolf movie, its decently made. Special effects is tacky for a 2001 movie. The movie was highly predictable for me.

Like the way director build the tension. Overall a must watch for werewolf fanatics. For non-lovers, its ok to give a miss.

3/5

Shoot the hero

The start was good, but soon it tapers off. Liked Trejo a.k.a Machete guy and Samantha looks beautiful.

Supposedly made on shoe string budget and it feels like one.

Avoid.

2/5 - 0.5 for start, 0.5 for Trejo, 1 for Samantha. LOL

Last edited by chevelle : 28th September 2010 at 16:13.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:27   #2813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Dog Soldiers

The starcast is not well known so it robs half the entertainment quotient of movie. Still the actors does their job well.

For a werewolf movie, its decently made. Special effects is tacky for a 2001 movie. The movie was highly predictable for me.

Like the way director build the tension. Overall a must watch for werewolf fanatics. For non-lovers, its ok to give a miss.

3/5
Nice. You watched dog soldiers! You won't recognise most of the actors because there aren't any hollywood faces. They're all British actors. In fact I quite liked the effects and the gore. If you noticed there are no fake looking CG creatures here. The wolves are good old fashioned prosthetics etc! Just the way horror movies should be made.
Old 28th September 2010, 23:53   #2814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Saw this movie today on HBO, a very nice movie, it's the first Clint Eastwood movie I saw, but, I must admit, he lived up to the hype. He did a great act.
All in all a nice movie wherein some scenes are heart wrenching (when Thao's sister returns home after being harassed by the gang).
I am a fan of Clint Eastwood NOW.
LOL! Too late, I guess...
He has a cult following. His famous lines were used on and on different contexts (most recently in Bruce Almighty). Watch his dirty harry series. i mean if these movie were released today they would have been a flop. but during those days it was a huge hit. Dad and his brothers are a great fan of his movies.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:24   #2815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Nice. You watched dog soldiers! You won't recognise most of the actors because there aren't any hollywood faces. They're all British actors. In fact I quite liked the effects and the gore. If you noticed there are no fake looking CG creatures here. The wolves are good old fashioned prosthetics etc! Just the way horror movies should be made.
Yes, i know they are British actors. And for me, this is not a horror movie. There was nothing in the movie that frightened/surprised me or sent a chill down my spine. Neither it was gripping nor there was sufficient gore to make me disgusted. But then thats me.

I also saw irreversible and apparently i had seen that movie before. I remembered it when i saw Belluci walking in the tunnel.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:49   #2816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
There was nothing in the movie that frightened/surprised me or sent a chill down my spine. Neither it was gripping nor there was sufficient gore to make me disgusted. But then thats me.
I agree with you man. Horror movies these days just don't cut it like they used to back in the '80s. The only recent movie that I felt was genuinely creepy was The Grudge (The Hollywood version not the Japanese one). Like I've mentioned earlier, Dog Soldiers is more of an adventure-comedy-horror film. I enjoyed it thoroughly though, especially the screenplay.

However, if gore is what you want check out Cannibal Holocaust.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:23   #2817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I agree with you man. Horror movies these days just don't cut it like they used to back in the '80s. The only recent movie that I felt was genuinely creepy was The Grudge (The Hollywood version not the Japanese one). Like I've mentioned earlier, Dog Soldiers is more of an adventure-comedy-horror film. I enjoyed it thoroughly though, especially the screenplay.

However, if gore is what you want check out Cannibal Holocaust.
Have watch too many films of such type recently. I am now searching for some other genre. Like adventure, romance, action, comedy. So searching for some. Any suggestions?
Old 29th September 2010, 16:01   #2818
BHPian

Has anyone seen The Art of Travel? It's a refreshing adventure film about a guy who goes on a solo honeymoon in South America.
Old 29th September 2010, 16:57   #2819
Distinguished - BHPian

Wolfheart, you seem to be a true horror fan. Can you list out a few that come to your mind that chilled you to the bones. Would be nice to know that list as i am a fellow horror movie lover

Saw " No Good Deed" starring Samuel Jackson, Milla Jovovich and Stellan Skarsgard

Its a story of SJ who is a cop accidentally becoming a captive to a gang of robbers who are planning a bank robbery. Its slow, dragging and nothing great can be achieved even with solid actors like SJ and Stellan.

Milla Jovovich has an amazingly pretty face.

1/5

P.S: Next in line is " The Perfect Storm" starring George Clooney
Old 29th September 2010, 18:02   #2820
BHPian

Has anyone watched "Drag me to Hell" ? It is one of the better horror movies to come out lately. I wish Sam Raimi did more horror movies. I heard that he is re- releasing or remaking the Evil Dead movies soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks