Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 11:44   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What is the opinion/s for the movie " Mullohland Drive"?
Read post 992 on 7-9-09. Watch the movie first and then go to moviespoiler for making sense of how the movie changes so suddenly from 110-140 mins. of run time.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:08   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Read post 992 on 7-9-09. Watch the movie first and then go to moviespoiler for making sense of how the movie changes so suddenly from 110-140 mins. of run time.
Thanks, i did exactly that. Here is my review

Watched Mullholand Drive, Frankly speaking i didnt understand anything and since i was watching this movie pretty late. I decided to discontinue after watching almost 3/4th of the movie.

I read the moviespoiler and basically pieced the puzzle together. It's way too complex and heavy-duty movie watching.

Lauren Allen is quite pretty. Found her better than Naomi Watts

2.5/5

Hollywood Homicide, Starring Harrison Ford and Josh Hartnett.

It's a light action and comedy story of two police officers with a side profession ( Ford is a real estate agent and Josh is a yoga teacher). Some scenes are quite funny when in between stakeouts, Ford has to rush to a real estate deal meeting. Another one, he hands over his estate agent card to a suspect instead of his cop business card.

Nice,breezy, fun and light movie for that boring evening.

3.5/5
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:47   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Its right up there with Blade Runner and Donnie Darko as one of the best sci-fi works ever created IMHO.
This post have made me watch Blade runner .. Got it from Bigflix today. Somehow I had too high expectations and probably that proved to be a wrong thing. Movie was quite slow although the end scene kind of ties up the loose ends, it still left me asking for more. Sorry ROC, can't agree with you on this. Movie was bit boring for me. IF, if this movie was not sci-fi (this theme can be made a non-sci-fi drama) I probably would've liked it for the human angle. But for a sci-fi movie, I expect fast paced thriller/action I guess.
BTW, similar kind of feeling I had when I've watched "French Connection" but after re-watch with director's cut I could tie up the loose ends. So may be I should give this movie a re-watch tomorrow.
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:01   #1099
BHPian

kaushik_s - i too would say compared to today the movie isn't much but it was way ahead of its time, when it was launched.
i bought this movie on bluray,but that is not for the storyline, but because it is best movie to check out the pic quality in your plasma (awesome blacks!)

Last edited by jassi : 2nd October 2009 at 01:02.
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:47   #1100
Senior - BHPian

I agree to the point of being ahead of time during those days but not so today.
Hmmm so you've started buying blurays, awesome. I'm still waiting for the prices of the players to come down. May be in another year or two. BTW, PV80 is working fine with this movie it seems.
Old 2nd October 2009, 02:57   #1101
BHPian

the pv80 and blade runner are made for each other. read this review Panasonic TH42PX80 Plasma TV HD & SD Picture Quality - i had posted it first on page 95 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post961725). ANd yeah I have been into blurays for quite sometime and do have a lot of HD content now - infact I had started a dedicated thread on HD content here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...a-lcd-hts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I agree to the point of being ahead of time during those days but not so today.
Hmmm so you've started buying blurays, awesome. I'm still waiting for the prices of the players to come down. May be in another year or two. BTW, PV80 is working fine with this movie it seems.
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:00   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Watched - 'State of Play' last night.

Summary from IMDB -
A petty thief is gunned down in an alley and a Congressman's assistant falls in front of a subway - two seemingly unrelated deaths. But not to wisecracking, brash newspaper reporter Cal McAffrey who spies a conspiracy waiting to be uncovered. With a turbulent past connected to the Congressman and the aid of ambitious young rookie writer Della Frye, Cal begins uprooting clues that lead him to a corporate cover-up full of insiders, informants, and assassins. But as he draws closer to the truth, the relentless journalist must decide if it's worth risking his life and selling his soul to get the ultimate story.

Its a gripping movie and Russell as usual has acted well along with the other cast.

Rating - 3.5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-state_of_play_movie_poster.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2009, 22:47   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Watched Inglorious Basterds today. Just one word to describe - Brilliant!

I would rate it as 4.5/5. 0.5 less only because the climax defies history. I know it is a fiction, but still.

But a Must Watch, nevertheless.
Old 4th October 2009, 16:10   #1104
BHPian

(500)Days of summer: Romantic Genre. Watched this movie today and it was quite good. The Girl dumps the ever so romantic boy after claiming that they were always in a casual relationship. You know that she was always using him to boost her self esteem. Both the lead actors have done a good job. Casual relationships always tend to get complex if the scope of interaction becomes regular.

7/10 for sure.
Old 4th October 2009, 17:09   #1105
Senior - BHPian

inglorious Basterds was mind blowing!!! i found the role of the Christopher Waltz the best over Brad Pitts .

Last edited by vinaydas : 4th October 2009 at 17:11.
Old 4th October 2009, 23:35   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Watched the following movies today,
1. Planet of the Apes - 1968 (Planet of the Apes (1968))
Just watched Planet of the Apes (1968) and I would rate it as one of the best sci-fi movies. The new one looks like utter stupid now after seeing this movie. Don't miss it. Very well thought of and although the twist in the end was kind of obvious it was still amazing.
2. The Bridge on the river Kwai (The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957))
I don't think I need to say anything about this movie. Most of you must've already seen it. Awesome.
Old 5th October 2009, 13:56   #1107
Team-BHP Support

Death Race (2008)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-deathraceposter2.jpg

Its the internet season for sports.
There is this diabolic prison warden, She conducts the death race in a prison.
5 wins and the guy is free.
Prisoners get to mod the car and put in all sorts of guns etc.
They race around the prison and try to kill the other racers.
Subscribe on the internet to watch it.

The main attraction dies, a man called Frankenstein.
So disfigured that he always wears a mask.
Jason is framed in the murder of his wife. Brought into this prison and asked to race as the Frankenstein.

One scene does stand out. The way the wardens secret vehicle is taken care off.

Over all stupid movie with a lot of fast action.
watch it if u get it free.
Old 5th October 2009, 21:33   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Watched - 'Scoop'

Summary from Imdb-
In the funeral of the famous British journalist Joe Strombel, his colleagues and friends recall how obstinate he was while seeking for a scoop. Meanwhile the deceased Joe discloses the identity of the tarot card serial killer of London. He cheats the Reaper and appears to the American student of journalism Sondra Pransky, who is on the stage in the middle of a magic show of the magician Sidney Waterman in London, and tells her that the murderer is the aristocrat Peter Lyman. Sondra drags Sid in her investigation, seeking for evidences that Peter is the killer. However, she falls in love with him and questions if Joe Strombel is right in his scoop.

Its a light hearted movie and is a one time watch.

Rating - 3/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-scoop.jpg  

Old 5th October 2009, 22:46   #1109
BHPian

!

Oh yeah! did that! But would'nt suggest to young ones for some odd reason. Gripping though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Watched Inglorious Basterds today. Just one word to describe - Brilliant!

I would rate it as 4.5/5. 0.5 less only because the climax defies history. I know it is a fiction, but still.

But a Must Watch, nevertheless.
Old 5th October 2009, 23:46   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Ugly Truth. It isn't great but is definitely not boring. There are quite a few scenes that are hilarious!

I'd rate it at 3/5. Can watch it once.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks