Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 13:07   #2986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The American (2010)

A warning before anything else. If you are expecting a movie like Shooter, Bourne series or James Bond style thriller, please don't watch it. This isn't any fast pace action thriller, its more about what goes through a mind of assassin and the internals of last assignment. Finally, YES its slow, very slow. 4/5
Agree with you, the movie is kinda slow and dragging, G Clooney has done a good job.The film has been shot in absolute scenic locations.

I would rate it 3/5.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:01   #2987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Next in line is "Valykrie" starring Tom Cruise. Any reviews of this movie?
Even though it was a slow movie it was very beautifully made and throws an amazing insight into the Nazi regime. We come to know that all Hitler's aides were not maniacs like him

But, somehow Tom Cruise didnt jell in that role. It should have been someone more european/german with a square face ( not saying Clause Von Staffenberge was like that) to make it more beilevable. TC as a Colonel is hardly believable with his kiddo face.

Anways, its a lovely movie indeed and highly watchable.

4/5

P.S: Next in Line is " Fight Club" starring Brad Pitt
Old 1st November 2010, 16:49   #2988
Senior - BHPian

My First Ever Movie-related Post

Watched a couple of movies last week/weekend

1. Resident Evil 4: Afterlife

Wasted my time. I found it boring, and there weren't any tearing action sequences. RE-1 was way way way better. Storyline again was a disappointment. Haven't watched RE 3, so, I maybe misleading others in this...

Rating: 2/5

2. The Terminal

Tom Hanks does the job very well. It's worth the time, and I did enjoy it. Though certain parts of the movie might make you wonder (later on) how on earth could that be possible, they merge into the flow while you watch it.

Rating: 4.5/5

3. Phonebooth

Hard to believe that you were looking at nothing but a phonebooth for the entire 2 hours! Though hard to believe that some unknown guy needs to resort to such shoot-outs just to make you believe that you're doing it all wrong, the story keeps you glued to the screen until the last scene.

Rating: 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
... Just saw Knockout and phonebooth back to back, and concluded that 80-90% of Indian directors have "miles to go before they sleep!"
The sheer sound of the sniper rifle loading sent chills in my spine(same in knockout,I did not even notice untill Irfan told so);Hats off to Colin Farell , he pulled the whole movie single handedly with awesome acting.
+1 to that

4. How to Train Your Dragon

In one word, Beautiful. Loved it. Maybe it's just me, I found some nice messages too.

Rating: 4.5/5

5. Taken

Enjoyed watching the action. Liam Neeson makes it all look so easy. I'd watched it just after The A-Team. So I had that dare-devil image of him in my mind. Good plot. He manages the role of a concerned dad quite effortlessly. Seemed natural too.

6. The A-Team

Mindless action. Nice dialogues. Don't think of anything while watching the movie. And don't think of anything in the movie after it ends.

I wish I could post about Peepli Live also, but it'll be OT here. Still, just a sentence: It shows the way the so called "media" do their <expletives> business. Rated 5/5

EDIT: Anybody watched "Legend of the Owls of Ga'Hoole"?

Last edited by silversteed : 1st November 2010 at 16:51.
Old 1st November 2010, 21:01   #2989
Senior - BHPian

Scott Pilgrim vs the world

Decent watch with quite a few humorous gags.

3.5/5
Old 1st November 2010, 21:07   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Watched 'Cast Away' yesterday night (again) and was blown away by it (again). Top marks to Tom Hanks' acting. He is one of the most versatile actors around. This is one of my favourite movies of all time.
Couldn't agree more! I can watch it as many times it can come on TV. Superb movie.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:47   #2991
Team-BHP Support

Guys, what are the reviews like for the following movies?
* Eat, Pray, Love
* From Paris with Love

I need to decide on these movies to watch over the weekend, so needed your help to decide.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:50   #2992
Team-BHP Support

From Paris with Love did not impress me at all. Travolta is ok, but there is nothing great in the movie.

Eat, Pray, Love -- No clue

I'd say go watch Do Dooni Chaar instead. Its a classic
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:27   #2993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I'd say go watch Do Dooni Chaar instead. Its a classic
The only time we can watch the movie at the theatre is on Thursday morning, since the kid would be at the daycare. Unfortunately, no screening of DDC in any of the morning shows on this day. :(
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:12   #2994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, what are the reviews like for the following movies?
* Eat, Pray, Love

I need to decide on these movies to watch over the weekend, so needed your help to decide.
This movie is worth watching if you like Julia Roberts.Nothing much to write about.

Can be royally skipped.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:51   #2995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: Next in Line is " Fight Club" starring Brad Pitt
What a brillaint movie. Pyschic, disturbing, witty and dark all put together make this movie really watchable.

Edward Norton is an insomniac performed perfectly and suits well for slightly deranged roles ( one scene where he hits himself in front of his boss is crazy)

Helena Bonham Carter as the junkie looked so different. Well, like a junie actually. Not her regular attractive self.

Brad Pitt as (Tyler Durden) who starts the fight club concept to give a high trip to folks who are bored in life was the best in this movie. Witty and slick at all times. Love his wiry frame. Not an inch of fat on that bod. How do they get such physique

More than worth a watch

4.5/5

P.S: Next in line "The Verdict" starring Paul Newman
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:02   #2996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a brillaint movie.
+1
Did you notice how Edward Norton's character doesnt say what his name is throughout the movie?
Even imdb lists him as only "The Narrator"
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:52   #2997
BHPian

Thriller/horror

I am a big fan of thriller/horror genre. Had heard a lot of about this movie
El Orfanato
(The orphanage) which is a Spanish movie. It played in Lumiere movies last weekend, and I was glad was able see it. Its a amazing movie, one of the better movies in the genres that I have seen so far!
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:20   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
One of the Greatest performances of all time.
For acting alone i would give it 4/5.
overall 4.7/10

Kyun ki , Have seen it and found it to be rubbish(no comparo at all).
It is inspired/remake of a Malayalam movie which is inspired by one flew over.
Yes I agree about performances but how about story? As in show me a single scene where Jack shows any signs of insanity? Why is it that even after knowing he is trouble maker he is still kept in the same ward? Why is he given the final treatment without trying alternative treatments?

Why is the nurse suddenly shown as a bad person in the end while throughout movie there is no such reference?

Kyun Ki again I agree no comparo, the stories are different & only the mental hospital background is common. But rubbish? okay I guess everyone has different likes & dislikes
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:33   #2999
BHPian

Watched 'The Lives of others" ,The movie is set the in era of east and west Germany, the theme revolves around a Stasi Captian who is assigned to spy on a couple. The movie is a bit slow , but a great watch nonetheless.

4.5/5

I caught the movie " Into the wild" running on a TV channel some time ago. Love the movie, have become a fan of the character McCandless. A must for all those who always think of breaking free.

Its a biography about a young man who leaves leaves his middle class existence in pursuit of freedom from relationships and obligation. The movie follows his journey through America .

4/5
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:38   #3000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
I am a big fan of thriller/horror genre. Had heard a lot of about this movie
El Orfanato
(The orphanage) which is a Spanish movie. It played in Lumiere movies last weekend, and I was glad was able see it. Its a amazing movie, one of the better movies in the genres that I have seen so far!
This is a very good movie. One of my favourite directos Guillermo Del Toro produced this movie.

Another similar recommended movie ( this one directed by Del Toro himself ) is "El espinazo del diablo" ( The Devil's Backbone ). This is also set in an orphanage and during the Spanish civil war. This is part of the trilogy of movies that Del Toro plans to make about the Spanish Civil war ( Pan's Labyrinth is the 2nd one ) , although each movie is a separate story.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks