Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 21:48   #3766
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Interpreter is a fast paced action movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks. My review is exactly like yours.
A nice international espionage thriller. And, would be good one time watch

3/5
Thanks for posting this, never knew such a movie existed, gonna be my next one.
Old 16th June 2011, 21:57   #3767
Senior - BHPian

Take me Home Tonight (2011)

Honestly, had no idea what to expect. The first half and hour was boring. Felt like switching off and going to sleep, that's when it started moving, comedy started, situation changed and movie went on to become one of the enjoyable kind. Set in 80s, has a feel of 80s with background music. Its a nice, feel good movie with a hidden message. Its not a full on comedy from start to finish, but is kinda good. Loved the vintage SL.

Those who liked Superbad, will like this one. Watch it.

The lead girl - Teresa Palmer looks a bit pale sometimes and looks a lot like Kristen Stewart - the leading lady of Twilight.

4/5.

Ceremony (2010)

A nice comedy/romantic movie. For once, this is not a city based movie. Liked the movie. Kinda boring at first as it takes time to come to the point, but once there, it is enjoyable. The relationship shown may not gel well with most people but it does make for an interesting visual.

Acting wise, the lead pair is excellent, ably supported by other cast. I would say, the acting, the body language, makes it worthwhile. Watchable once.

Having attended a recent American Wedding, i could co-relate a lot with this movie.

4/5

Last edited by chevelle : 16th June 2011 at 22:06.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:08   #3768
BHPian

Eight Below (2006) - IMDb

Another great movie - especially if you love dogs. A family movie.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:22   #3769
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Oxford Murders

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-theoxfordmurdersmovie1.jpg

The movie starts with Elijah coming to Oxford from US to work with a famous Arthur Seldom (Hurt) as his thesis supervisor. There is a lot of mumbo jumbo in the beginning which almost bores you, its after the first murder that the movie start looking interesting but the end spoils it all.

The movie promises to be a a good thriller but turns out an average thriller. Seriously there is too much confusion in between & the end makes the watcher look stupid (you would have expected the actual reasoning as the story went)

2.5/5
Old 17th June 2011, 01:26   #3770
BHPian

Any of you guys seen Frozen (2010):

Thriller. Three friends go for a ski trip, get stuck in the ski lift/trolley up the mountain and then the story unfolds. Packs a punch, keeps you glued to the seat. It is a nice film shot in pretty much one location with three people (2 guys & a girl) and their misery in freezing weather and how to get out of the situation (the ski lift).

Rating 4/5
Old 17th June 2011, 09:39   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
Any of you guys seen Frozen (2010):

Thriller. Three friends go for a ski trip, get stuck in the ski lift/trolley up the mountain and then the story unfolds. Packs a punch, keeps you glued to the seat. It is a nice film shot in pretty much one location with three people (2 guys & a girl) and their misery in freezing weather and how to get out of the situation (the ski lift).

Rating 4/5
Yes. I have seen this. It was an OK movie. The scenes with the wolves were far fetched. I would rate 3/5 for the concept of the movie.
Old 18th June 2011, 00:37   #3772
Distinguished - BHPian

X-Men: First Class.

Good, enjoyable watch. Well-fleshed out characters (unlike the previous 3 X-Men films), complimented with some really superb effects. Almost on par with Bryan Singer's original.

* * * ½ stars.

The Ward.

John Carpenter returns to what he does best - scare! A very nicely made horror film with a slightly cliched ending which doesn't deter from the overall atmosphere of the movie. Recommended to anyone who loves horror.

* * * ½ stars.
Old 18th June 2011, 06:23   #3773

At the Sinatra Club:

If you like American Mafia movies, you will like this. It isnt as engrossing as some of the others, but a good movie nonetheless. Its the story of a nondescript wiseguy called John Gotti became THE JOHN GOTTI!! Several cross-references to goodfellas too.

* * * Rating.

5 Days of war

One of the best movies I have seen so far. Possibly, after Senna, the best. BAsed on the Georgia-Russia conflict. A very very heart warming movie, especially if you know a Gerogian.

* * * * * STARS for SURE!!

First Light

A semi documentary about a WW2 Spitfire Pilot based on the Battle of Britain. A very very good movie if you are a World War two buff like me.

* * * * 1/2 STARS
Old 18th June 2011, 22:22   #3774
Distinguished - BHPian

Super 8.

Just go and watch it at your nearest Sorround Sound theater. I gurantee you won't forget the experience, especially if you are a fan of giant-monster films like Cloverfield and classic Spielberg stuff such as E.T., The Goonies and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Old 19th June 2011, 01:01   #3775
BHPian

INSIDIOUS

I am not much of a fan of horror movies, and I have not seen many either. I don't have much movies to compare this one to. My favorites being The Exorcist, Constantine, The Paranormal Activity and Room No. 1408.

Insidious started off rather slow (and stupid) and there was not much happening in the beginning. But the story is interesting and the 2nd half had the pace and the scares.

Acting is average, but the horror sequences and pretty amazing. Last 30 mins will keep you on the edge of your seats.
The good thing about the movie was, it was not gory.

The movie was open ended, looking forward to Part II.

My rating: 4/5

Last edited by SumitBahl : 19th June 2011 at 01:21.
Old 19th June 2011, 02:37   #3776
BHPian

watched John Woo's Red Cliff 1 and 2.

excellent movie. Basically it is a 2 part movie, dealing with history and war and friendship and responsibility and everything else John Woo believes in, including lots of sword fighting action and battle strategy.

Red Cliff (2008)

Red Cliff II (2009)

Tony Leung in Red Cliff

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2009_red_cliff_001.jpg
Old 19th June 2011, 08:30   #3777
Distinguished - BHPian

Green lantern

This is really really good!!
Ryan reynolds carries himself exactly like King from blade trinity.
very funny!
For any one who feels disconnected with the movie, or thinks the reviews turn you off, do a basic wiki read about the lanterns, and "parallax".

Its fast, yes, but i get the feeling its targeted towards erstwhile readers, or watchers of the justice league.
i'm a total comic nerd, so i quite enjoyed it...
Old 19th June 2011, 10:58   #3778
Senior - BHPian

Watched Tangled last night. Not a movie most guys would admit to watching, but a nice watch nonetheless. Voice-overs were really nice, and I liked the character of Flynn.
3.5/5.

After watching that, I watched a movie that should have been watched quite some time back. Schindler's list. That could only have come from the master, Steven Spielberg. The only criticism I have, if I'm allowed to have one, that is, is that it was a bit too long for my liking. But then, I guess it was necessary to depict the Nazi torture of the Jews. Considering that Spielberg himself was born to a Jewish mother, this is probably a subject quite close to his heart. I'd give it a 4.8/5. If you haven't watched it, please do. Trust me on this, you won't regret it.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:14   #3779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Watched Tangled last night. Not a movie most guys would admit to watching, but a nice watch nonetheless. Voice-overs were really nice, and I liked the character of Flynn.
3.5/5.
Tangled is a chick flick, but I liked it!

Cedar Rapids (2011) - IMDb :

I dunno why I decided to watch this movie, but I did anyway. Its about an idealistic small town insurance agent Tim Lippe (Same guy from the Hangover) , being sent to an annual gathering of insurance agents in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, his first visit to anyplace outside of his small town, and the consequent effects of the "outside world" on his life.
Its supposed to be a comedy film, but there are no rib tickling moments at all. But the movie is really very endearing due to the characterisation and strong performances of the cast.

Rating : 2.5/5

PS : I really really identified with the protagonist.
Old 21st June 2011, 00:53   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Watched Schindler's List

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-sl.jpg

This is a Master Piece by Steven Spielberg, the movie is gripping & touches your heart at various places. The movie depicts the atrocities faced by Polish Jews at the hands of German SS Officers at Krakow. The story is about a Nazi Businessman who starts with identifying a good business opportunity during the War but soon starts feeling the pain of the Prisoners(Jews) & tries his best to save as many as he can. Towards the end of the war, he spends his entire fortune to ensure saving over 1000 Jews from certain death.

Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes & Ben Kingsley played their roles brilliantly.

I wonder why I didn't see this movie before. The only thing I missed was that not much info was given about Oscar Schindler in the post war era. I believe that was done to avoid dilution of his main achievement, but they could have shown it in Text like they did at other places.

5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Watched[b]
After watching that, I watched a movie that should have been watched quite some time back. Schindler's list. That could only have come from the master, Steven Spielberg.
What a coincidence, I saw the movie over this weekend too

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st June 2011 at 01:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks