Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 09:43   #991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Any more good suggestions of recent releases?
Please watch Tere Bin Laden. I enjoyed watching.

Quote:
Tere Bin Laden is one of those whacked-out satires that sounds far funnier in theory than it finally is on screen... For no fault of the lead actor, one might add.

Ali Zafar's comic timing could put some of our desi Khans to shame. Ali is a young actor with considerable screen presence. What's more, he seems to secrete a sharp sense of enjoyment when confronted by the outrageous.
This is high-wit low-budget comedy, and it shows. The gags and one-liners involving the preparation to put the fake Osama in the line of fire are pungent parody in principle. But the film's meagre budget muffles the mirth.

Finally it's all about placing cameras in front of world maps rather than going out there to capture those parts of the world that the satire takes into its tongue-in-cheek sweep.

There are some stinging swipes taken at the Americanization of the Asian dream, and the craze for young urbanites in this part of the world to make good their escape at any cost.

Debutant director Abhishek Sharma never loses hold of the satirical mould. The sense of fun is uppermost in the script, though quite frequently the humour gets derailed by studio-induced props worthy more of a television sitcom on burger-mania rather than a film whose satirical take on terrorism touches the nerve-centres of our very existence.

That Sharma is actually able to pull off a parody that combines poultry jokes with globally-significant comments is no small achievement.
The actors are in the mood for some serious fun here. While Ali Zafar sparkles in the embrace of the script's feisty wit, Pradhuman Singh as an Osama lookalike too seems to have fun biting the bait. His scenes with a beautician (Sugandha Garg), who touches up his face are deliciously suggestive.

While Tere Bin Laden is many notches above the run-of-the-mill satire, as a spectral swipe at Osama-phobia, Bush-bashing and global terrorism, this one doesn't quite make the cut.

Source: NDTVMovies.com: Review: Tere Bin Laden Review

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th July 2010 at 03:59. Reason: Adding quote to the copy pasted review to distinguish from member's post.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:23   #992
Distinguished - BHPian

@Silverwood, great to see your reviews coming on this thread regularly apart from the hyderabad food thread

However, request you not to post other websites reviews (as it is) here as it will mar the objective of this thread.

Personal reviews even if short makes the movie thread a joy on tbhp and i trust the reviews here more than any other websites that provide in a full fledge manner.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:29   #993
Senior - BHPian

tere bin laden is next.
3 idiots.- everytime i see i love it. What a refreshing movie.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:00   #994
BHPian

I don’t see many hindi movies (find them funny) and hence am saved of the torture and unnecessary expense but the luck is not on my side always. I recently went to see Ravan and rest is history…………

I was surprised that this thread doesn’t have anything on this movie. Is it that the movie isn’t worth mention or there is some other reason (Abhishek and Mani Ratnam aren’t BHPians. Are they?)

I used to be Manni Ratnam fan when I was in college. Studying in South India, I had the opportunity to watch Roja and Nayagan in tamil and thoroughly enjoyed the movies.

People love the cinematography of his movies but somehow he seems too much into clouds and rain these days. Kinda dipressing. He has taken the rain seriously and has forgeten the sunshine. Please somebody sing him the 3idiots song “Give me some sunshine, give me some rain”. I mean, sunshine comes first.

By the way, locations in the movie (am Still talking abut Ravan) are breathtaking. Are there any “travelogs” in our forum to such locations?
Old 26th July 2010, 18:09   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
By the way, locations in the movie (am Still talking abut Ravan) are breathtaking. Are there any “travelogs” in our forum to such locations?
I did not watch the movie but from the songs I watched on TV it looks like location is Athirappilly Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I think there are few travelogues already exists in the forum.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:18   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
I was surprised that this thread doesn’t have anything on this movie. Is it that the movie isn’t worth mention or there is some other reason (Abhishek and Mani Ratnam aren’t BHPians. Are they?)
Here you go :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1954816
Old 29th July 2010, 10:04   #997
Senior - BHPian

It’s very sad Ravi Baswani isn’t among us today. He gave us hearty laughters with those expressions with bi-spectacled, simple and neighbourhood uncle wala face, which was readily accepted by the kids and grown ups alike. He represented a genre of clean, expressive and hilarious comedy in that era of Sunday movies on Doordarshan. A mere look at his face will bring smiles on many faces. He was part of growing up process of many Indians like me. Can’t forget him and his on-screen antics, that bragging about Ms Chamko and that beating-up he got from her brother in Chashme Baddoor, Marvellous!
Old 29th July 2010, 10:29   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
It’s very sad Ravi Baswani isn’t among us today. He gave us hearty laughters with those expressions with bi-spectacled, simple and neighbourhood uncle wala face, which was readily accepted by the kids and grown ups alike. He represented a genre of clean, expressive and hilarious comedy in that era of Sunday movies on Doordarshan. A mere look at his face will bring smiles on many faces. He was part of growing up process of many Indians like me. Can’t forget him and his on-screen antics, that bragging about Ms Chamko and that beating-up he got from her brother in Chashme Baddoor, Marvellous!
He indeed was a gem of an actor. Chashme Baddoor and Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro couldn't have been what they are without him.

May his soul rest in peace !!
Old 29th July 2010, 12:11   #999
Senior - BHPian

Saw Khatta Meetha.Same Remake Galore from the Director.2/5
Old 29th July 2010, 12:18   #1000
Team-BHP Support

I have a strong feeling that the upcoming movie "Hello, Darling" is a copy of the old Tamil hit Magalir Mattum (1994)

The original movie was very good. 3 women have to content with a lecherous boss. Naseer played that role and he shone. Nagesh as the corpse was in his total element.

But "Hello, darling" looking at its star cast will be sleazy and fail. Sad because the original was so nice.
Old 30th July 2010, 05:30   #1001
Senior - BHPian

i am surprised. No reviews on 'Once upon a time in Mumbai' yet? Is it not released yet? The review is up on websites.

Is it that bad a movie? I have great expectation from this movie.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:58   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i am surprised. No reviews on 'Once upon a time in Mumbai' yet? Is it not released yet? The review is up on websites.

Its releasing today only.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:07   #1003
Team-BHP Support

And the press reviews, for whatever they are worth, are extremely positive.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:13   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

The movie wold be released today.

Websites get the preview show before the release.
Public would only be able to see it after 12 in noon, how can you expect reviews so early?

And, Yes, I too have great expectations from the movie.

Last edited by SumitBahl : 30th July 2010 at 10:14.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:22   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Saw Tere Bin Laden. Nothing great but worth a few good laughs...that's about it.

Verdict - 2.5/5.

Once upon a time in Mumbai is lined up today. The reviews are extremely positive...let's see how it turns out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks