Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 15:56   #3211
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Got it from the States. Although the blue dial looks good, the white one can be worn universally. Don't need to co-ordinate my out fit. Also, the intricate patterning of the dial. The blue dial does not have this work.

As regards the second hacking, is it really necessary ? Automatics by nature itself will be + / - a few seconds each day. So, setting time accurately to the last second only for it to be out of synch again after a few hours is an exercise in folly. Advancing the day does take some time and getting used to, but otherwise no issues at all.
In fact, as I said earlier, I liked the spaced out sub dials and date window of this version than of the version 3 where all the functions are concentrated to the left hand side and the bottom portion of the dial.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th December 2017 at 02:26.
Old 6th December 2017, 16:07   #3212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post

As regards the second hacking, is it really necessary ? Automatics by nature itself will be + / - a few seconds each day. So, setting time accurately to the last second only for it to be out of synch again after a few hours is an exercise in folly. Advancing the day does take some time and getting used to, but otherwise no issues at all.
Agree that hacking was never an important feature for me, certainly not a critical one. However, hand winding is pretty important for me and is the main reason why I haven't picked up watches which I otherwise like but has a movement which has no hand winding.

The reason is that I have several automatic watches which I like to keep wound and synchronised at all times showing the correct time, and the only way to ensure this is to hand wind them regularly so that they are running at all times. Several of these are weekend watches and therefore, are not worn much during office workdays.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 6th December 2017 at 16:08.
Old 6th December 2017, 16:13   #3213
BHPian

I too have at least 6 to 8 automatics, all with hand winding capability. This is the first without that feature. But, I do not keep all the watches ticking over continuously. Just wind them once in a while to keep them in good shape. So this absence of hand winding will not be dampener . I will just wear the watch for a few days now and then. It will not be my daily wear. Have too many watches for any one to be a favourite or a daily wear.
Old 12th December 2017, 16:13   #3214
BHPian

I just bought this Seiko SKA 371 Kinetic , also known as the BFK (short for Big freakin Kinetic) This is one chunky , robust watch . Is really heavy at close to 250 gms and is built like a tank. Its a certified Divers watch and is highly rated for its sturdiness across watch forums. It is like a metallic G -Shock.

Apart from this I have a collection of 1 fossil, 2 Casio edifices, 1 Citizen Eco-drive, 1 G-shock (G270) , 1 freelook, 1 Cruiser which i got on my visit to the Gulf. Cruiser seems to be a big brand there. Happy to see many in this forum owning one. Its a great watch for a decent price. The quality of movement and accuracy on the Seiko is something else though.
Attached Files
File Type: rar IMG_20171202_164046935.rar (4.78 MB, 84 views)
Old 12th December 2017, 18:02   #3215
BHPian

Regarding a query on Creation watches,They are genuine, so I would suggest go ahead with your purchase, only problem is you might end up paying customs duty on the watch. This could at times be upto 60% of the total cost of the watch. Otherwise they do sell authentic watches and the prices are also reasonable.

Last edited by Shwet : 12th December 2017 at 18:04.
Old 12th December 2017, 19:09   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Added another Seiko entry level auto SNK807 blue dial for $52. Not a fan of canvas strap, changed it immediately with $14 brown leather strap. Most of my watches are 42mm and this is very compact at 37 mm. Will post pictures later.

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th December 2017 at 19:11.
Old 12th December 2017, 23:29   #3217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Added another Seiko entry level auto SNK807 blue dial for $52. Not a fan of canvas strap, changed it immediately with $14 brown leather strap. Most of my watches are 42mm and this is very compact at 37 mm. Will post pictures later.
Here is the picture of the same with after market strap.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-seiko.jpg  

Old 13th December 2017, 01:48   #3218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Looking good. From where did you order?
Old 13th December 2017, 02:07   #3219
Senior - BHPian

@Jaguar - amazon dot com. Shipped to US address.
Old 13th December 2017, 09:18   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These Seiko 5 models are superb value for money watches, and especially love this version. The other awesome feature is the display case back, really hard to come by in this price range- you could perhaps post a pic of the case back as well! Regarding the 37 mm case size, I really like it and it is a pleasant departure from the big 42-44 mm watches dominating the market today. Sits really well on relatively smaller Indian wrists. At 50 odd USD, these have very little real competition.

Expect the piece to last you many years to come if well taken care of. The only drawbacks that I can see are the minimal water resistance and the lack of hand winding with the 7S26 movement, the latter has stopped me from picking up a Seiko 5.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 13th December 2017 at 09:21.
Old 14th December 2017, 10:39   #3221
BHPian

My Seiko skx with the jubilee bracelet.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20171214_102913.jpg  

Old 14th December 2017, 10:42   #3222
BHPian

Watches:

Titan Dash (yeah nostalgia)
Timex Ironman (more nostalgia)
Fastrack (quiz winnings)
UCB
Casio Enticer
Some watch that I picked up at arrivals because I forgot a watch that day. It has the name Boleno.

Also, planning to get a Skagen or Fossil for the new year.
Old 14th December 2017, 10:59   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking for a Diver's watch in Blue dial of budget less than 25K.
I have earmarked below models from Seiko and Citizen (i have 2 eco drive crono Titanium already)

http://www.citizenwatches.co.in/product/bn0191-80l-2/

https://www.amazon.in/Seiko-Prospex-...Watch-SNE435P1

Need to check these watches in person before purchasing it.

Let me know if there's any more options to be valued.
Old 14th December 2017, 12:51   #3224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi All,

I have earmarked below models from Seiko and Citizen (i have 2 eco drive crono Titanium already)

Seiko has nearly unlimited offerings when it comes to divers watches. Orient has some really nice models as well. Do check back a few pages on this thread where I have posted brief reviews and pics of my Orient Mako II as well as my Seiko Samurai.

The Orient is a legendary model, and widely popular the world over, and comes at well under Rs. 20,000. The Samurai on the other hand is a very recent re-release by Seiko, and is a lovely pepsi dialed ISO certified diver.

Both the above are blue dialled watches. Both are worth considering given your budget. The Seiko Turtle is another lovely model which has been recently re-released and should be within your budget.

The Citizen that you have mentioned is also a popular watch, but I have not personally seen this piece.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th December 2017 at 12:53.
Old 14th December 2017, 14:16   #3225
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi All,

http://www.citizenwatches.co.in/product/bn0191-80l-2/

https://www.amazon.in/Seiko-Prospex-...Watch-SNE435P1

Need to check these watches in person before purchasing it.

Hi Kartik,

I have the Seiko Prospex model that you are looking at and after almost going with the Amazon.in option I eventually ordered it from Creation Watches. Cost me 13k in Singapore and 11k in Customs and was delivered in 7-10 days.
Its been my daily wear since I bought it in June and I love it. Having said that the Citizen looks very similar and am not an expert but I'd probably go with a Seiko when compared to a Citizen.

Cheers,
Adi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks