Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 14:15   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hi,

I have submitted my online form on last Saturday, yet to get the appointment slot. I understand that it opens around 6pm (Bangalore) and I should be trying around that time. Can someone please confirm its still the same time? Does it (getting appointment slot) remain open on weekends too?

I'm going to go for renewal in Tatkal and it shows only two documents required, 1> copy of old passport + address proof (since my address is changed).

- Can someone confirm if I need any other documents apart from these (the document adviser on website says on these two!)
- I heard that with Tatkal, you can just walk in, does this mean that I don't need to get the appointment slot and I can walk in with the documents?
- Are the document copies need to be attested / notarized! Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks in advance, I know I'm asking the same questions those may have been answered earlier, I've also started to search this thread for more information, please feel free to add your comments/answers if you think the procedure/answers changed recently!!
Thanks.

if you log in and try fixing an appointment, you will get a message to book the appointment by XXX date XXX time. log in again at that time

yes those docs are sufficient. no need for notarising.

you HAVE TO TAKE A TATKAL appointment. have you gone through the passport link properly ! its extremely user friendly and has all these details

to further reassure you, i got my TATKAL passport renewal done ( with address change ). I got the passport at my address within 2 days. I went there on Day . passport at my residence on DAY 2 !
Old 4th March 2013, 14:48   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Going to get the renewal done for name change (current passport has surname blank). The online application states that Annexure E is to be sourced (for name change requirement) on a non-judicial stamp paper of minimum value. Could someone provide any suggestions on this? I presume, I can get this done by a lawyer on an immediate basis?
Name is going to be a tedious affair to say the least:

1. You CANNOT apply on TATKAL - Normal application process only
2. You will need to publish the change of name in 2 newspapers (1 local + 1 national), along with an affidavit stating the change in name on a stamp-paper - I suggest you find an agent to do all this
3. The name change reflecting in the gazette (this may take upto 15 days) since they wait to collect a whole lot of changes and have 2 - 3 release every month - get the same agent to do this.

Carry all the regular documents as listed along with the above (in the new name).

Good Luck!
Old 4th March 2013, 15:29   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Name is going to be a tedious affair to say the least:

1. You CANNOT apply on TATKAL - Normal application process only
2. You will need to publish the change of name in 2 newspapers (1 local + 1 national), along with an affidavit stating the change in name on a stamp-paper - I suggest you find an agent to do all this
3. The name change reflecting in the gazette (this may take upto 15 days) since they wait to collect a whole lot of changes and have 2 - 3 release every month - get the same agent to do this.

Carry all the regular documents as listed along with the above (in the new name).

Good Luck!
I was a bit confused on that bit. Now what exactly constitutes a name change to require the newspaper advertisments? My name remains the same, just that I want the passport stating the surname under "Surname", instead of the complete name being mentioned under "Name".
Old 4th March 2013, 18:03   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Please use this thread *only* for specific queries or helpful hints that cannot be found on the passport seva portal and other useful online and offline sources.
Going forward, questions like "What time do the Bangalore tatkaal appointment slots open?" will be immediately deleted, with an infraction for non-value-adding post.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:10   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was a bit confused on that bit. Now what exactly constitutes a name change to require the newspaper advertisments? My name remains the same, just that I want the passport stating the surname under "Surname", instead of the complete name being mentioned under "Name".
As per the passport your name is - Given Name - name+surname
As per the passport your surname is - empty.

So, if you want to change it has to be a change in name which has to be in the gazatte. You can try with your birth certificate and other certificates if it matches the given name. But still, there may be a question on why it was not "corrected" when it was issued last time.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:21   #1026
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure how it works now, but my earlier passport had my entire name under the category of Given Name. When the new passport was issued, I entered my surname under surname in the application form, and it got issued accordingly. I didn't have to go through any name change procedure for the same.
Old 5th March 2013, 16:38   #1027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hi,

I have submitted my online form on last Saturday, yet to get the appointment slot.
Thanks.
For Tatkal you can do walk in is what i understood. http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...f/Advisory.pdf

Quote:
Walk-in appointments with online Registration:
In order to facilitate submission of passport applications at Passport Seva Kendras, some types of services such as ‘Tatkaal’ and issuance of Police Clearance Certificates and some categories of applicants such as senior citizens, minors and differently-abled persons are allowed to submit their duly registered online applications with ARN number as Walk-in applicants. Applicants falling under these categories are also required to register their applications online and obtain ARN number and visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra at their convenience (no prior appointment required). In addition, applicants should also refer to any advisory issued by the concerned Passport Offices from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am not sure how it works now, but my earlier passport had my entire name under the category of Given Name. When the new passport was issued, I entered my surname under surname in the application form, and it got issued accordingly. I didn't have to go through any name change procedure for the same.
Name as long as in whole is not changed, i think can be corrected without the long drawn procedure. Like what you did.

Also earlier initials were taken, now full name has to be given and that also is corrected in my case for both my parents name in passport. They just went with my word.
Old 5th March 2013, 17:18   #1028
BHPian

Regarding the change of address for my wife and kid (8yrs), do I have to appointments separately for both of them? Can I book one appointment and send them togather?
Thanks in advance.
Old 5th March 2013, 21:24   #1029
BHPian

Is your passport expiring? OR you just are going to do the renewal to add your surname?

I am not sure if the process now has changed, but following is what I did almost 9 yrs. ago:
  • When I got my passport, it listed only my First Name and Middle Name in the "Given Name" column and the "Surname" field was blank
  • I had to get an affidavit made to mention my name change from "First Name + Middle Name" to "First Name + Middle Name + Surname" and also give ADs in two local newspapers (one english newspaper, and another local language newspaper).
  • With the copy of affidavit and newspaper ADs, I filled in the name change (don't remember what form it was) form for passport and went to passport office; they took my passport, supporting documents, and a small fee (500 bucks I think) and was asked to collect the passport in the evening.
  • I went to the passport office in the evening and got my passport.
What they had done was that they put an amendment on passport on the first blank page saying "Going forward, the surname of this person should be read as SURNAME" and the same was signed by the local passport officer.

This was the general practice of making name corrections/change, adding spouse details on the passport back then. Unless the process has changed to issue a new booklet with every change, I think this should give you a fair idea of what is involved.

I have used that passport and have got work visas for multiple countries without any issues (except for two instances - US consulate once looked at only the first page of passport and issued me a visa with only first name and middle name and I had to get them correct this mistake later, same mistake by Canadian consulate once too).

Quote:
Going to get the renewal done for name change (current passport has surname blank). The online application states that Annexure E is to be sourced (for name change requirement) on a non-judicial stamp paper of minimum value. Could someone provide any suggestions on this? I presume, I can get this done by a lawyer on an immediate basis?

Last edited by infotech58 : 5th March 2013 at 21:25.
Old 6th March 2013, 00:39   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
Regarding the change of address for my wife and kid (8yrs), do I have to appointments separately for both of them? Can I book one appointment and send them togather?
Thanks in advance.
Kiran,

I guess your case fall under one of these categories, your kid can walk-in with your wife except 9.30-11am slots I guess, hth.

got from passportindia web portal, Bangalore RPO page, I guess it applies to all, suggest verifying it on your region RPO page.
=======
i. Categories of Applicants allowed as “Walk-In with ARN”

Following mentioned categories of applicants are allowed as “Walk-in Applicants”. Applicants falling under these categories need to register Online, fill in the online application form and generate Application Reference Number (ARN) at least one day in advance before visiting the PSK. Such applicants may visit the PSK with required set of documents and a copy of printed ARN sheet between 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM only:
• Applicants for issue of Police Clearance Certificates (PCC)
• Differently Abled Applicants
• Deletion of ECR status in passports without any change in personal particulars
• Central/State Govt. employees, their spouses and dependant minor children who have ‘No Objection Certificate’ / Identity Certificate
• With effective from 1st Jan 2013,
Senior Citizens of age 60 years & above.
• Minor Applicants below 15 years of age, provided both parents have valid passports.
• Minor Applicants below 15 years of age, provided both parents have valid passports, and one parent is abroad and has issued Embassy / Consulate certified No Objection Certificate (NOC) to the other parent to apply.
• Minor Applicants below 15 years of age, provided both parents do not have passports, but have given No Objection Certificate (NOC).
• Immediate family members belonging to an applicant who has got an appointment will be allowed on the day/time when the applicant has got the appointment and not repeat not between the time slot from 09:30 AM. to 11:00 AM.

==========

I got my appointment at 1230 on March 7, I'm making sure I have all what I need for March 7 appointment.

Last edited by Ketan : 6th March 2013 at 00:42.
Old 6th March 2013, 20:41   #1031
Team-BHP Support

Quick update: My application status shows, printing in progress! Really impressed i am, exactly a week from the day i dropped in at the PSK.
Old 6th March 2013, 21:00   #1032
shimshumara

If it helps.... sometimes getting the appointment online could be tedious, there is a lot of behind the scene acts that go on which are beyond the comprehension for aam janta.

At BLR, we have some 'consultants' who would get the required slot with 24/48 hours prio notice for a nominal service charge of 300/-. I used such a service a year back for renewing my wife's passport and getting new ones for my daughters. The same set of people could get 'full service' done at higher price. Every service has its tarrif per fixed menu.

With the online applicaiton process, things are definitely easier, except for getting the appointment.

Old 7th March 2013, 12:29   #1033
BANNED

I had a very pleasant experience with the Kanpur PSK yesterday. Being over 60 I did not have to take a booking, no change in particulars, but needed an NoC since IIT is a Statutory Body. This was given on the site as I progressed.

My PP is/was expiring in August. There have been all sorts of reports in the local press, so I went with trepidation. I uploaded the xml file and then went over the the PSK on GT Road in the compound of the Vishal Mega Mart.

There is ample parking in the complex. I went in at 9:30am and came out before 11:45.

The reception was nice and clean and after depositing the papers, in about 10 minutes I was directed to the waiting room.

The chaps from Lucknow PP office come only about 10:00am. Then the person on the terminal handed over my file (with a clearance signature) and asked me to pick up a token from the reception. First Googly, the chap now wanted a photocopy of my ID card. So got it done (Re.1) and then picked up the Token and proceeded to the first floor. No mention of this on the site!

Lady at A (TCS) took the fee (Rs.1500), and then recorded the photograph and finger prints. Took my signatures on the sheet an directed me to B.

B seems to be manned by both Passport Office & TCS persons. No problems here and took less than five minutes.

Now to C. Again the chap went through both the file and the web information. Then he stated that it was my third passport. I told him no it was the fifth (sixth if you take into account the renewal in 1978!). He checked back and found a scan of a Xerox of my 1993 passport. Was fascinated by it. Fortunately, I at the last minute had packed that in with me as well. Looked at it and then cleared it. Was it curiosity or an attempted Googly. He said that I should expect the PP in 18-21 days. UI pointed out to him that my daughter-in-law applied at Mangalore, and got her PP on the third day. I was given the lame (in my view) excuse that Lucknow is the busiest PP office in India. It has many branch offices, Kanpur, Bareilly, Varanasi, etc. Also, Kanpur itself is processing 800 per day. What I cannot understand is that if you do not have a 100% processing (say over a week) then the queue will just grow and grow.

So I was clear, but God know why the chit (from the next window) is marked Post Verification! Why post verification when there are no changes, a NoC, and Senior Citizen as well. Now fingers crossed, may be by the end of the month!

I must say that TCS have really streamlined the process. Need more massive privatisation, with more offices. I do not think the capacity of Kanpur can be expanded so we need another office with the Kanpur domain being split. As it stands the appointments are over in under 5 minutes.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:44   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
At BLR, we have some 'consultants' who would get the required slot with 24/48 hours prio notice for a nominal service charge of 300/-. I used such a service a year back for renewing my wife's passport and getting new ones for my daughters. The same set of people could get 'full service' done at higher price. Every service has its tarrif per fixed menu.
I always suspected this and now it's confirmed. It seems unlikely that all slots would get filled within minutes of them opening up. Agents and touts have managed to find some hack by which they can block slots.

One of my colleagues claims to have some inside info on this and says that the passport office is now working on a CR to beat this hack. After this is implemented (should take about 2 months) it will not be possible for agents to do this any more and hopefully the situation should improve.

Let's hope this is true!
Old 7th March 2013, 15:22   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I always suspected this and now it's confirmed. It seems unlikely that all slots would get filled within minutes of them opening up. Agents and touts have managed to find some hack by which they can block slots.

One of my colleagues claims to have some inside info on this and says that the passport office is now working on a CR to beat this hack. After this is implemented (should take about 2 months) it will not be possible for agents to do this any more and hopefully the situation should improve.

Let's hope this is true!
It is a well known fact that touts/agents have a quota in the slots. My guess would be that the tatkal slots are reserved for the touts.

While booking a slot, there is no option to select normal/tatkal slot. This is a clear indicator that the tatkal slots are not opened for general applicants and kept reserved for the touts.

One of my friends got his passport done through an agent and was given a guaranteed slot in the next 48 hours. The way 900 slots get booked in less than 2 minutes, no one can guarantee a slot unless they have a quota in the system.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks