Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 09:32   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
That should suffice IMO. You may like to try the document advsior wizard on the side pane ofa the website to be doubly sure that you dont miss out anything

Also take note of some notary/ passport agents in the nearby vicinity which could come handy in case they ask for a affidavite of some sort. You can get it done in no time if the agent fella is close by.

That appointment sheet is crucial without which you will not be let into the premises at all.
Thanks for suggesting to locate a notary nearby. Yes, I know there are a few in that area.
Old 12th September 2012, 14:30   #872
BHPian

I'm going to be in Toronto for work - actually moving there. I'm supposed to reach in the first week of December & my Indian passport expires in July next year. Could i get it renewed in Canada itself without a PR status? I'm hesitant to try & process that in Hyderabad at this time - too many horror stories, plus it wasn't originally issued in AP either.

Any information will be much appreciated!
Old 12th September 2012, 15:04   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
I'm going to be in Toronto for work - actually moving there. I'm supposed to reach in the first week of December & my Indian passport expires in July next year. Could i get it renewed in Canada itself without a PR status? I'm hesitant to try & process that in Hyderabad at this time - too many horror stories, plus it wasn't originally issued in AP either.

I'm not sure if you'd need a PR status to renew in Canada, but it will certainly be a lot smoother and faster. Might cost you more money though.

My passport's re-issue took 5 months last year. I'd applied at eSeva,Khairatabad in April, and I got the passport in September. My earlier passport was from Vizag, and the address was also different. The only thing that took place within a month was the police verification

But with the opening of the Passport Seva Kendras, I am told the time has come down. My daughter visited PSK, Ameerpet today, and was told it would take around a month for the re-issued passport to reach her. I am not sure if that will really happen, but if it does, then it's worth renewing here.

But in her case, there was no address change, and the previous passport was also issued at Hyderabad.
Old 12th September 2012, 15:05   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post

I would suggest that you renew that here in india before leaving. One of my friends tried renewing it in US, had horrible time in renewing it. He had to go twice or thrice to Indian embassy to get it renewed. He said the expereices that he had in the embassy are "too good" that he never wanted to step his feet on again.
Old 12th September 2012, 16:44   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ When we were in Singapore a number of acquaintances living long-term used the local Indian embassy's services to reissue their passport (the official term is "reissue" by the way, not "renew"). For most of them it took a day or two. Cost was under $100 if I remember correctly. We joked about how much easier it was to get our Indian passports in a foreign land!

But in your case since you are still here and in a position to get your passport reissued BEFORE applying for your Canada WP and going there, I would highly recommend you get it done here and NOW. Apply under tatkaal since you have a hard target for departure.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:47   #876
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Here is an update I got from my daughter. I was not allowed into the PSK as she is now a major.
  1. She was allowed into the center 15 minutes before the reported time.
  2. There were four counters she had to visit: A to D
  3. Counter A had 14 windows, therefore she got through in 20 minutes, though the maximum tasks were carried out at that counter. That was the place where they gave her a token number, examined her existing passport, appointment letter, non-ECR proof, and accepted the fee payment of Rs 1000 in cash. The photo was also taken at that counter. I believe the employees at that counter are being timed for their tasks.
  4. Counter B was only for cross-checking the online form that was submitted in July. This counter was cleared in less than 15 minutes.
  5. Counter C took the longest---a little more than an hour, as there was a long queue before it. There were only 6 counters marked as C, compared to many more in A and B, and hence the queue. There was one more level of scrutiny at that counter. The existing passport was returned after scrutiny and an acknowledgement was taken.
  6. Finally counter D took around 20 minutes, where the receipt was handed over. On inquiry, they said it would take a month's time for the re-issued passport to reach home.
In all, it took around 2 hrs 15 minutes for the whole process.
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:49   #877
BHPian

I had applied at Bangalore RPO on 1st July 12 ( Passport Mela ) for renewal. I received the passport yesterday. So it took 2.5 months.

Police verification was done even though the residential address is the same. I don't know why.

The quality of the passport itself is a bit disappointing ( thinkness of cover and the pages ). The earlier one felt more sturdier. Also they tried to stretch the photo more in x-direction and less in y-direction.

All in all, I am relieved since without any agonies of getting online appointments, I could get it by standing in queue for 3 hours.
Old 25th September 2012, 15:19   #878
Senior - BHPian

My daughter got her re-issued passport today, 13 days after her application was scrutinized. She also got an sms late last night saying that the passport was despatched by speed post. The website also gave the tracking number.Looks like things have really improved with the opening of PSKs.

The only glitch was getting the appointment with the PSK---it took a month and half of trials for that. Had I known about the 730 pm trick, I guess it would have been a lot earlier.

As already mentioned above, the quality of paper and cover seems to have gone down by several notches.
Old 25th September 2012, 17:59   #879
BHPian

My passport got re-issued under 'Post' verification from the Malad PSK. Received the new passport in 15 days and some 2.5 months later, a cop came home for verification. He made me fill up a few forms, spoke with a couple of neighbours, collected some docs and left with an instruction to visit the PS on a certain date. Went to the PS on the date allocated, submitted another set of the same docs given to the earlier cop along with some 10 extra docs that were asked for (total time taken was about 3 Hrs, even though there were only 2 cases before my turn). After all this, I was told that the procedure is complete and no further action is required from my side.

My question is - how do I know for sure that the police verification is clean? Is there some helpline (whether police or the passport department) that can tell me whether my file has been sent back to the Passport authorities by the police and if the process is really over?

Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 22:44   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian
My passport got re-issued under 'Post' verification from the Malad PSK. Received the new passport in 15 days and some 2.5 months later, a cop came home for verification. He made me fill up a few forms, spoke with a couple of neighbours, collected some docs and left with an instruction to visit the PS on a certain date. Went to the PS on the date allocated, submitted another set of the same docs given to the earlier cop along with some 10 extra docs that were asked for (total time taken was about 3 Hrs, even though there were only 2 cases before my turn). After all this, I was told that the procedure is complete and no further action is required from my side.

My question is - how do I know for sure that the police verification is clean? Is there some helpline (whether police or the passport department) that can tell me whether my file has been sent back to the Passport authorities by the police and if the process is really over?

Thanks
In hyd the police dept send you a post card with the date on which the verification report has been sent back to the RPO and their internal reference number.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:10   #881
BHPian

How long before the expiry of the older passport can we request for reissue?
Can anyone point me to the link stating the latest procedure for passport reissue.

Appreciate the help.

Regards,
Old 26th September 2012, 08:25   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Can anyone point me to the link stating the latest procedure for passport reissue.

Appreciate the help.

Regards,
Use this for knowing the list of documents needed - http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...eissuePassport

If I am right, you can apply for the renew before 1 year of expiry.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:26   #883
BHPian

Quote:

Appreciate the help.

Regards,
I believe it is one year.All the details are found in the following site : http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...ct/welcomeLink

- Wind
Old 26th September 2012, 11:52   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Appreciate the help.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Use this for knowing the list of documents needed - http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...eissuePassport

If I am right, you can apply for the renew before 1 year of expiry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I believe it is one year.All the details are found in the following site : http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...ct/welcomeLink

- Wind
A reissue can be requested for within 3 years after expiry of the passport or within 1 year before date of expiry.

Renewal in RPO terms is actually extending the term of a passport like extending a 5year passport to its full term of 10years & this is a free service and can be done any time.
Old 30th September 2012, 21:15   #885
BHPian

Hi All,
My passport expires in Nov this year & I wish to renew it from Bangalore, I've saved my application online, yet to submit it.
I've a question:
After getting the ARN is it necessary to book a slot online or can I just walk-in to the PSK? I've read a few pages of this thread but getting conflicting info on whether we need to book a slot online before going to PSK or just walk in with ARN?
thanks,
-R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks