Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 15:48   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Guys

One quick question. I got my family's passports re-issued in March 2008. My wife's and son's passports were renewed for 10 years, but my daughter's was renewed only for 5 years, probably because she was below 18. Her passport is due to expire in March 2013.

So should I apply for renewal or re-issue? As far as i know, renewal is applicable as the original period of validity was less than 10 years, but I may be wrong.

Further, will the passport be renewed/ re-issued for 10 years or 5?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:22   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Her passport is due to expire in March 2013.

So should I apply for renewal or re-issue? As far as i know, renewal is applicable as the original period of validity was less than 10 years, but I may be wrong.

Further, will the passport be renewed/ re-issued for 10 years or 5?

Thanks in advance.
Isn't it a re-issue in this case. Cause the site itself says:

You should apply for re-issue of passport in case you want to get a new passport and that you already hold a passport. You can apply for re-issue of passport in following cases:

Change in Existing personal Particulars.
Validity Expired within 3 years/ Due to Expire.
Exhaustion of Pages.
Damaged Passport.
Lost Passport.
Validity Expired more than 3 years ago.

The process for getting your passport reissued is same as that for getting a fresh passport. Also, the passport application form for reissue is the same that is used for fresh passport. However, the documents that need to be attached with the application and the fees to be paid differ based on the reason for reissue.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:48   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Her passport is due to expire in March 2013. So should I apply for renewal or re-issue?
AFAIK, they stopped renewing passports and may be doing it only in case of passports with 1yr validity (if at all they are doing it). Just apply for re-issue and she will get a new one with 5yr validity if she is less than 15yr old. If more than 15yr old, you can opt validity for 10yr or upto age18. Also, many countries will not accept manually extended passports for visa stamping.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:19   #739
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. I was under the impression that passports that were issued for 5 years will be renewed, and not 're-issued'. I'll cross-check from the RPO and give an update.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:12   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was under the impression that passports that were issued for 5 years will be renewed, and not 're-issued'. I'll cross-check from the RPO and give an update.

They will be re-issued. No concept of renew of passport. Recently, one of my friends got his baby's passport re-issued for the expired one. He got a new passport. Hope this helps
Old 8th May 2012, 17:20   #741
Senior - BHPian

Latest update on my passport renewal.

Though I'd just gone to the PSK on the 2nd, the cops came for verification last Saturday itself. I was out of town and my house owner told them so, though they were adamant that they wanted to see me. Finally, they "relented" and wanted me to go to the police station with 2 passport photographs, a xerox of my address proof. I'd gone there yesterday and met the person there who also asked to see my old passport as well as wanted a xerox copy of the first and last page of the old passport. Quickly got that for him and also showed him the passport. Visibly satisfied, he had me sign on a printed sheet (couldn't read - was in Kannada) and also pasted my photos on a form and I signed it. When looking at my old passport he also asked me how many countries I have travelled to! Thankfully it has just been the one travel and he looked a little sad at that

Anyways, all done and he signed and stamped the documents and said he will send the file across to the passport office. Now, only waiting for the passport.

Thankfully, everything has gone on well.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:08   #742
BHPian

Guys,

Just a quick question. What are the pros and cons of applying for a passport re-issue (after 10 years expiry) in tatkaal vis-a-vis the normal mode?

I know I will get the passport more quickly and without a police verification if I apply in tatkaal mode.

But, is there a police verification which is done after the passport is issued? Is it done in all cases or only in some cases? How will I come to know whether it is required or not? What if I shift residence in the meanwhile?

Also, is the tatkaal passport issued for less validity than normal passport? Or is it issued for 10 years only?

Thanks in advance!
Vineet
Old 9th May 2012, 14:11   #743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
But, is there a police verification which is done after the passport is issued? Is it done in all cases or only in some cases? How will I come to know whether it is required or not? What if I shift residence in the meanwhile?

Also, is the tatkaal passport issued for less validity than normal passport? Or is it issued for 10 years only?
The validity of the passport will be the same, irrespective of the mode of applying.

If it is deemed that a police verification is required, then the same will be mentioned on the file number receipt which is generated at the PSK.
Old 9th May 2012, 17:03   #744
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any idea how long it will take once the police verification is done to receive the passport? Or is this dependent only on the police sending the file across? The passport seva portal also is not providing any information.
Old 9th May 2012, 17:58   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, any idea how long it will take once the police verification is done to receive the passport? Or is this dependent only on the police sending the file across? The passport seva portal also is not providing any information.
There is no SLA - it clearly depends on the PV report being sent by Police to RPO and then also depends on the # of passports in the print queue and the availability of booklets with the RPO office.
Old 9th May 2012, 18:06   #746
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys.

I have some queries. Please guide if you can.

1. My passport is going to expire in July'2012.

2. My wife's passport expired in Feb'2011.

3. My address has changed from Delhi to Gurgaon (Delhi address also exists with family members because it is my parental home).

4. My daughter's (2 years old) is yet to get her first passport.

I uploaded the filled passport application of me and my wife. Also uploaded Gurgaon address proof (bank statements received from bank through courier) and date of birth certificate in PDF format.

I have not filled my daughter's application because I feel it will be easier if I fill it after both of us get our passport. Is it correct?

After uploading application and other 2 documents, I can see our applications' ARN and Submission date but there is no File No. Why is it?

If I click on "View Status", I get the message "Please select an application with a File Number".

Please guide me how to proceed further.
Old 9th May 2012, 18:20   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Please guide me how to proceed further.
Verify the details in the applications and once you are satisfied with them - book a slot (one each) for both the applications. You will get a file # only when you go to the PSK and complete the 4-step process. Yes, getting your daughter's passport is easier once you have your's in hand.

Edit: Uploading soft-copies of the documents may not really help, the process is really fast in the PSKs and I would suggest that you book the slots and submit all the docuements in-person.

Last edited by skumare : 9th May 2012 at 18:39.
Old 9th May 2012, 18:24   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
There is no SLA - it clearly depends on the PV report being sent by Police to RPO and then also depends on the # of passports in the print queue and the availability of booklets with the RPO office.
Thanks again! Wow, even availability of booklets? I have a vague feeling that it is going to take some time. Read in some newspaper a few days back about something regarding PV.
Old 9th May 2012, 18:37   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I have not filled my daughter's application because I feel it will be easier if I fill it after both of us get our passport. Is it correct?
Apply for the daughter also.
Me and my wife both had passports but the passports were made before our marriage.
So I went for a re-issue of passports. Also applied for the passport of my daughter. No problems at least in bangalore. They will first direct you to the counters where the your applications will be submitted. Once the payments and other things are done then they issue the file numbers. Using the same file numbers then apply for the passport for daughter on the same day.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:34   #750
BHPian

Hi All,

I am trying to get an appointment. Anytime of the day, i get a message saying "Maximum number of appointments exceeded for the day". Any idea at what time of the day do i need to try?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rgds
Suhas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks