Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 12:27   #2131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is the "norm" in Mumbai. Unfortunately, the city with largest number of fake passports and thriving business of fake Visa. Police just cannot rely on documents that are accepted by passport office.
What is the point of a policeman coming to your house & then you visiting the police station? What additional purpose does you visiting the police station serve? Can't both these things be combined into 1 thing?

This is my 4th passport & this was my worst experience to date. I have never visited a police station for earlier passports. Nor has a policeman come to my home - they visited the neighbours etc but not me. My first passport was from Bombay, 2nd from San Francisco, 3rd from Pune & this is the 4th. The San Francisco experience wasn't that good, but this has to be the worst easily
Old 7th November 2016, 13:16   #2132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Approximately how long does it take to renew the passport in Bangalore? I would be getting the address updated (originally issued in another state) and martial status updated.
Bumping my previous query.

In addition to that, I have another query.

As I am changing the address, I assume police verification done will be done.

I have been staying at my current house for exactly two years now, does the police challenge this? If they do, will my previous rent agreements suffice as proof of residence.
Old 7th November 2016, 14:30   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
If they do, will my previous rent agreements suffice as proof of residence.
I changed my passport the same week that I shifted using a letter from my company of my home address. If you work for a company, the letter from HR is sufficient as proof of address. I used only this. And police verification will happen, I dont remember mine as it was 4 years ago.
Recently the police asked my colleague to produce proof of stay at previous 2 residences as he had been in the new one < 1 year. I did not have to do this. This is for Chennai.
Old 7th November 2016, 23:51   #2134
BANNED

Just want to reissue my passport as I needed 60 pages booklet, my passport has validity of 5 years left, I didn't see any exact option while booking for appointment which fit in my need so I selected change in particulars>change in signature, like to know this will be sort my case or they gonna ask for affidavits for signature change ? I'm not able to re-select other option but I hope if it can be done in PSK then what should I say ? Change in appearance will do ?
Document advisor saying you'll need copy of passport + ECNR proof, I'm already non -ecr so isn't that will carry forward ?
Thanks in advance !
Old 8th November 2016, 01:04   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
needed 60 pages booklet, my passport has validity of 5 years left, I didn't see any exact option
i think you should be selecting out of pages or something, don't remember exact. I don't think you can choose the wrong reason, especially change in signature as they may ask for legal proof of changed signature such as a bank approval or an affidavit.
Old 8th November 2016, 04:59   #2136
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure the 60 page is still being issued these days. In any case - out of pages is the right one to select if you are indeed out of pages.

Note - as you become more frequently travelled so that you use up a passport in a few years (I'm almost at the end of my fifth one), the time it takes to use up a passport actually increases, as countries that you frequently visit will generally give you multiple entry long term visas like a 10 year US B1, two or three year Schengen etc.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 60 page one is being issued any longer for quite a while now.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:23   #2137
Team-BHP Support

The 60-pagers are alive and well. I renewed mine with one last year, and the better half got a new passport just a few weeks ago.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:35   #2138
BHPian

Asking a very silly question here.. Is there any dress code that we need to follow for passport renewal? Like dark shirt or light shirt, etc.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:46   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Bumping my previous query.

In addition to that, I have another query.

As I am changing the address, I assume police verification done will be done.

I have been staying at my current house for exactly two years now, does the police challenge this? If they do, will my previous rent agreements suffice as proof of residence.
I have done this exactly but in my home state - took me 7 days. No PV was required. Just give a proof of address that is enough, you can get you address updated in any of the nationalized banks - I have found that works well and is generally the quickest method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Asking a very silly question here.. Is there any dress code that we need to follow for passport renewal? Like dark shirt or light shirt, etc.
No, just that you picture is going to be snapped up - they preferably would like a darker shirt as a contrast to the white background of the passport photo. Rest is upto you. They would not say no to a light shirt as well.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:57   #2140
BANNED

diyguy & hserus
My passport has more than half pages left so I really don't know what to select, Is it possible if they will change my selected option to other at psk ?
Change in appearance require any other proof ? Or they just take a new snap.
Old 8th November 2016, 09:04   #2141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just want to reissue my passport as I needed 60 pages booklet, my passport has validity of 5 years left, I didn't see any exact option while booking for appointment which fit in my need so I selected change in particulars>change in signature, like to know this will be sort my case or they gonna ask for affidavits for signature change ? I'm not able to re-select other option but I hope if it can be done in PSK then what should I say ? Change in appearance will do ?!
There is an option of 'Pages Exhausted' since I got my uncles and aunts passport reissued just last week.

Choosing the correct option is important since while filling the online form depending upon the option chosen it will ask for additional info or sometimes skip a few options. Only infomation provided can be changed at the PSK such as name etc whatever comes on the final passport. For such cases of exhaustion of pages etc the passport is issued the next day and you can get it in your hands in three days. In my Uncles case, they went to the PSK on 1/11, passport got printed and dispatched on 2/11 and they got it on 3/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I'm not sure the 60 page is still being issued these days. In any case - out of pages is the right one to select if you are indeed out of pages.

Note - as you become more frequently travelled so that you use up a passport in a few years (I'm almost at the end of my fifth one), the time it takes to use up a passport actually increases, as countries that you frequently visit will generally give you multiple entry long term visas like a 10 year US B1, two or three year Schengen etc.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 60 page one is being issued any longer for quite a while now.

Very well issued and alive. Got myself a jumbo passport since my earlier passport was getting full and every time I travel, I end up getting a Visa stamped. Germany used to give one year multiple entry visa for business, but now they have cut it down and stamp visa for the exact travel dates based on the ticket we provide with the Visa application. Hence, my passport gets filled up very quickly since I do trips to Germany every 2-3months once.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:03   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
diyguy & hserus
My passport has more than half pages left so I really don't know what to select, Is it possible if they will change my selected option to other at psk ?
Change in appearance require any other proof ? Or they just take a new snap.
Did your signature change? Did your appearance change? Why do you require a new booklet now at all?

There is plenty of time to apply for a 60 pager say a year or so down the line - or whenever you have say 2.3 pages left.

They won't agree to issue a new booklet if your passport has several pages still available and your signature, name, appearance etc remain unchanged.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:31   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
My passport has more than half pages left so I really don't know what to select, Is it possible if they will change my selected option to other at psk.
If you still have the option to select go ahead and choose either pages exhausted or change in appearance (no additional proof). I think change in signature could lead to additional documented proof needed to validate your signature. I think there is a warning when filling the form to choose the reason correctly and that is for a reason.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:50   #2144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Since they photograph you. Just make sure the shirt is photographically acceptable. My favourite colour for this is light/sky blue. Normally a plain shirt. White tends to wash out and I do not wear very dark colours.
Old 8th November 2016, 12:34   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
No, just that you picture is going to be snapped up - they preferably would like a darker shirt as a contrast to the white background of the passport photo. Rest is upto you. They would not say no to a light shirt as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Since they photograph you. Just make sure the shirt is photographically acceptable. My favourite colour for this is light/sky blue. Normally a plain shirt. White tends to wash out and I do not wear very dark colours.
Thanks for the input guys..

Most Viewed