Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2022, 13:08   #1876
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
With the current accommodation crisis going on in Dublin, I'm seeking help everywhere !
This is on behalf of my sister - she's going for her master's to Dublin. I'm looking for temporary / permanent accommodation for her, available at earliest.
Did you already get help? There is another member 'Emvi' whose brother is in Ireland too. May be you can check with him.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 01:15   #1877
BHPian

I am getting an opportunity to movie to the US on company transfer L1A visa. I have heard it is relatively easier to get the green card if you are on L1A. Wanted to know the opinion of any bhpians who might have gone that route.
OHCVtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 04:45   #1878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
I am getting an opportunity to movie to the US on company transfer L1A visa. I have heard it is relatively easier to get the green card if you are on L1A. Wanted to know the opinion of any bhpians who might have gone that route.
Just L1A is not enough, you also need to meet the conditions of "international manager". There are other ways too, but if you manage a multi national team before you move to USA it will be quick green card
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:53   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
The L-1A category is for managers and executives.

Yes, L1A visa is one of the best visa you can be to apply for green card.
Not sure how it is after Covid, but earlier L1A visa would get GC within a year.

The rules are stricter then a decade ago. You have to prove your managerial hierarchy in USA properly and your Job profile has to have managerial activities mentioned in detail.
Check the success rate of Your organization's immigration lawyer.
All depends on his submission and supporting documents.
If it is generic template, it is sure to get rejected. So ask for the details from him and review yourself.
narmad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 01:15   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Looks like Canada is also the favorite place to migrate for Punjab based criminals:

9 out of 11 men in Canada police most violent gangsters' list are of Punjab origin
Not really. Almost all these characters are second or third generation immigrants (although they do come from affluent families, which befuddles everyone in Canada to no end). Lots of articles and documentaries on this decades old phenomena if you want to check.

Just like all other places, first gen immigrants in Canada are for the most part quite law abiding.
avisidhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:22   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Just like all other places, first gen immigrants in Canada are for the most part quite law abiding.
First Gen immigrants need to supply police certificates from all the countries they lived prior. Even i needed to procure and supply three different PCC's for my immigration visa at great effort and cost. Some events in Vancouver were also surprising to me when i was in Canada.
Old 28th October 2022, 05:13   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatoyotafan View Post
First Gen immigrants need to supply police certificates from all the countries they lived prior. Even i needed to procure and supply three different PCC's for my immigration visa at great effort and cost. Some events in Vancouver were also surprising to me when i was in Canada.
That's a good insight. Although as a larger phenomena I don't think police verification makes a big difference. For instance, even undocumented immigrants display very little transgressions.

Perhaps a bigger element is that uprooting yourself and trying to get established in a distant land just changes your perspective as a person. And increases your stakes enough so that you avoid indulging in any misadventures.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 05:30   #1883
Senior - BHPian

And financial crimes as well even if your family earns a combined income of close to half a million dollars every year and to take family payments meant for COVID effected families.
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pro...next-year.html
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 10:56   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And financial crimes as well even if your family earns a combined income of close to half a million dollars every year and to take family payments meant for COVID effected families.
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pro...next-year.html
I am just

How much money is enough for one to live a comfortable and peaceful life? Isn't that the whole purpose of being a human? Why would one need another $10-20Mn when they already have $20Mn - enough to live lavishly for the rest of their life?

Though the real outcome is yet to come and there could be more to this story, there seem to be many such folks for whom money is never enough.
sunilch is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 08:24   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Amongst other things, the qualifications required to apply (and get approved) for L1A are pretty much the same for EB1C processing. Of course, organizational policies and counsel guidance plays a big role. I have colleagues who have got their GC in under 3 months from the date their documents were submitted. But a 12 month period is more realistic in the current times.
mmxylorider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 09:49   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I have colleagues who have got their GC in under 3 months from the date their documents were submitted. But a 12 month period is more realistic in the current times.
Times must have been good when someone got GC in 3 months.
My elder daughter got EB1 B (outstanding Researcher) in 10 months about 2 years ago.
Younger daughter has also got approval recently under EB1 B, and is set to submit few more documents to be in queue.
It may take about 1 year for her to get GC.
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 20:17   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Some foreign students are accusing the Canadian government of using them as a cheap source of labor and discarding them once they're no longer needed.
Link

Last edited by AltoLXI : 1st November 2022 at 20:43.
Old 1st November 2022, 20:48   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Sounds like a poor clickbait news from NDTV.

I finished my Masters in the Netherlands 8 years ago and here too we had/have a similar rule that students from abroad after finishing studies get a 1 year visa to find a job. It is even called 'Verblijfsvergunning - Zoekjaar hoogopgeleiden' (Literally called Resident permit - Searching year for highly educated migrants). 1 year is a decent time to find a job. I guess most other EU countries have similar provisions. May be in the case above, pandemic threw spanner in those students job opportunities. But blaming the government and calling this 'exploitation' is stupid. I have seen my fair share of cry babies who complain that their red carpet is not long enough. But for hard working and motivated people, 1~1.5 years (in case of Canada) is more than enough. Also know quite some students who were successful here in the last 2 years.

So I will take this news of NDTV with a bucket of salt. And good luck for those cry babies!

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st November 2022 at 20:59.
carthick1000 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 18:57   #1889
BANNED

We were talking about this many pages ago.

He says that he has seen many downturns in 16 years; but as far as I can remember, the last 16 years have been overwhelmingly positive for the US economy with regards to job growth and hiring.

Anyways, he’s in it now. Out of legal status, possibly out of money, and definitely out of dignity. For his kids’ sake I hope he finds his feet again.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/raju2...725692928-qxn5

One thing is different this time around. The pervasive media culture is bringing the human aspects of the hire-and-fire culture to the fore; allowing the laid off guys to position themselves as warriors who have been unfairly wronged. Whether such posturing has any merit or not is a different debate that is ongoing in other threads on this same forum.

All I know is that people out of jobs and out of luck in the past never had it so good to bring visibility to their plight. During the early 2000s and even during the first decade of this century, every single H1B out-of-jobber just suffered silently [lost earnings, assets, and future opportunities (due to legal wrangles); and in some cases lost families due to divorce and/or relocation]. Then they went on Linkedin to spin a rosy picture of what a storybook journey their career has been thus far.

Last edited by mohansrides : 11th November 2022 at 19:17.
mohansrides is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 19:22   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

LinkedIn is by far one of the most, if not the most, toxic platform I have ever come across recently. At least on Instagram, you can escape from all the career hype beast by following inspirational photographers or something.

LinkedIn is just a graveyard of yes people. Looking at what happens there on comments and posts reminds me of wildebeest egged into a croc-infested river in Africa.

The number of people getting affected by the toxicity of such platforms and what they celebrate must be beyond admissible in any mental healthcare network.

Last edited by vb-saan : 12th November 2022 at 10:11. Reason: typo
Red Liner is offline   (43) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks