Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2019, 18:38   #1381
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

It really is the post truth era, I am convinced. Lacking humility is when you "tch tch" a restaurant waiter, lacking compassion is when you dont give your seat away for an older gentleman. What happened in this thread is a superlative of different kind.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:45   #1382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This reminds me of an incidence that happened to me in my first year in USA.....I kicked my low-esteemed arse back to India, and have stayed there since then.

I remember my first job in the US. Just for effect (I was/am an attention-seeker) I borrowed my then girl friend's brother's Harley Softail. It was a big bike so I had to ride careful and slow.

On my first day I rode in (that bike made a heck of a racket) with a white Takamine guitar (in a soft case) strapped to my back. I started getting looks as I entered the parking lot.

My boss looked at me in wonder. Showed me to my cubicle and then asked "where are you from?". I replied "India". I saw a quizzical look on his face (so my grand entrance had had it's desired effect) as he asked something on the lines of "most Indians come in with neatly combed oiled hair (I had an afro) in their wool-polyester blended suits in a Honda Civic or some other sensible eco-box car".

I turned around and told him in my best Bronx accent "I ain't most Indians". I enjoy busting stereotypes.

My boss was a gentleman, a Jehovah witness to boot. Poor man never knew what to do with a "self styled wild man" for a subordinate.

Anyway, like Samurai, I too eventually found my sorry "low-esteemed" arse back in India.

Last edited by navin : 8th July 2019 at 12:00.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:59   #1383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My boss looked at me in wonder. Showed me to my cubicle and then asked "where are you from?". I replied "India". I saw a quizzical look on his face (so my grand entrance had had it's desired effect) as he asked something on the lines of "most Indians come in with neatly combed oiled hair (I had an afro) in their wool-polyester blended suits in a Honda Civic or some other sensible eco-box car".
This was around 1984-85, right? I wonder what is the impression of an Indian now...

BTW, TCS did make me carry wool-polyester blended suit from India to USA. However, my TCS colleagues warned me off even before my first day, that no engineer in AT&T wore a suit. So I showed up in business casuals on the first day, and soon downgraded to T-shirt and Jeans by the second week.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th July 2019 at 12:03.
Old 8th July 2019, 12:05   #1384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This was around 1984-85, right? I wonder what is the impression of an Indian now...
Yup 1985. It's been over 3 decades. Indians today I think are type cast as

"socially dull but extremely intelligent and hardworking, with strong family values, who all prefer to be (and their children to be) engineers, doctors and MBA/CAs"

But I abhor stereotypes. Be it Indian, Mexican, Italian or Greek.

I wish someday Indians in the US are seen people who could be anything: musicians, sports people, artists, authors, and politicians. Why should we be in a box? Why should any race/caste/creed/anyone?

Last edited by navin : 8th July 2019 at 12:10.
Old 18th July 2019, 19:06   #1385
BHPian

Re: Sikh drivers are transforming U.S. trucking. Take a ride along the Punjabi American highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Golden words, my friend. From the tone & tenor of his posts, he sounds like a young chap whose daddy funded his umrikan education. Probably first time traveling in business class as well. And the glorification of Booth/Harvard MBA, oh my - reeks of immaturity.

Last night when I read his post, I was quite disturbed but then I thought to myself, time will teach him.
This person is downright arrogant, and nothing else. You've got the best education, and the worst upbringing- sorry to say this out bluntly. You need to share with us your LinkedIn profile, showcasing the series of accomplishments leveraging your Chicago school tag that you boast of rather than a phony profile name.

I've seen many Ivy League grads or top-tier business school grads working at a mere Manager level as their entry-level job and unable to rise up, primarily as a result of their 'education tag' and unable to integrate. Education is only a means to a livelihood, and doesn't necessarily transport you to the corner-office.

Pride goes before a fall is such an adage that he needs to pay heed to, if he needs to rise up in life particularly living in a Western world like the US.

Don't forget this: It's only moments before your life can be upended, whether driving (pun intended) or cruising through this place called Earth where we're temporary dwellers. We're like flowers of the field, and a strong wind can chase away our desires- here today and gone tomorrow.
Old 18th July 2019, 20:42   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Wow, I am just reading up on some of the posts by D33-PAC. Vitriol. Sadly, do any of you think he even knew what he was saying? But, I have seen that kind of attitude from Indians who immigrated decades back - they look down on people like me. And they are all inevitably, Trumpians. And want stricter border control, tough immigration policies, hate Latinos and worship the orange man. I've tried telling them they are hypocrites. Oh well.

Had to edit my post to quote this - so well said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Don't forget this: It's only moments before your life can be upended, whether driving (pun intended) or cruising through this place called Earth where we're temporary dwellers. We're like flowers of the field, and a strong wind can chase away our desires- here today and gone tomorrow.
Anyways, what I mainly came here for was for some help with the Canadian Federal Skilled Trades Program. Have any of you applied or know anyone who has applied for the Canadian PR in this stream. A cousin of mine is a chef and currently working in the US on a short term visa (no idea what). I am trying to get him to move to Canada. Do you know if this is as easy to apply as the Skilled Worker program? Timelines? Scores?

Last edited by naveenroy : 18th July 2019 at 20:44.
Old 18th July 2019, 21:12   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sikh drivers are transforming U.S. trucking. Take a ride along the Punjabi American highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I was disgusted that he’d be that commercial but I later realized indianhas the great misfortune of having a huge underclass of people who are far from anything close to what I call as “high income etiquette “ be it their body language dressing or way of behaving.

Quote:
Passengers and crew on a Ryanair "flight from hell" were left terrified by the rowdy behaviour of some Brits.

One mum said the chaotic experience included a "screaming" teenage girl and passengers "running around".

The incident allegedly occurred on a flight from Liverpool to Majorca on Thursday (August 30).

The woman, who was on board, claimed the captain was forced to repeatedly put the seatbelt sign back on as the passengers "jumped up everywhere" and "ran around".
Note - All were Brits. None Indian.

Source: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...aming-15103699

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2019 at 07:10. Reason: Let's not get personal
Old 19th July 2019, 13:03   #1388
BHPian

If there is one thing that the desis have successfully taken with them to the USA, it is casteism/racism. And whenever they are not discriminating with their fellow desis based on their caste, they are trying to find racial and class differences within the local populace.

There is a deep rooted inferiority complex among these people that even the smallest of achievement (like winning a H1/GC) triggers a sense of superiority complex in them.

Then they treat every one of them back home with disdain as if they are lowlifes who couldn't achieve what they could. That is why they feel that they have earned an elite status if they managed to get selected for a work visa.

Nice that they have left India, but sad that they are polluting a great country's culture.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 15:34   #1389
BHPian

This is a question about immigration to New Zealand. Now I have scourged all online material but I could not come up with an answer so here it goes.

I have received the ITA for my resident visa application including my wife and kid. The one problem is our bmi. Now according to one operations manual, NZ immigration rejects all applications with bmi above 35. It is recommended to have it below 30 as is of course normally too for good health.

Now we are in the process of reducing it but there is the ITA filing deadline and we will not be able to make it for sure. So my question was if I allow this ITA to lapse and file an EOI again after getting my health in order, will this lapse affect selection ?

This is of course keeping in mind that I will still have the requisite points for selection. I am worried if allowing the invite to lapse will be seen as disinterest if at all they keep a history for scrutiny.

Last edited by luvDriving : 31st July 2019 at 15:35. Reason: spelling
Old 31st July 2019, 18:16   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Note - All were Brits. None Indian.

Source: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...aming-15103699
Brits have long had their own forms of obnoxious behaviour, in foreign lands, on aircraft, etc etc. It often includes alcohol and can be violent.

NB: I'm a Brit.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:11   #1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
As someone who emigrated to Canada a little over 7 months ago, here were my reasons were as follows. My wages were over 25 lakhs per annum in Trivandrum with a Big 4.
I am looking to apply for PR and apply at a couple of universities for my masters. I think that falls under "Dual Intent". I have a couple of queries, it will be very much helpful if you can guide me through.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2019 at 08:01. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 9th October 2019, 03:33   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
. So my question was if I allow this ITA to lapse and file an EOI again after getting my health in order, will this lapse affect selection ?
No.

This BMI thing is new to me though. We filed for our residency while in NZ but I don't recall BMI ever coming up, or, maybe we were below the requirement so things sailed through.

Do not worry about reapplying. You do not loose out on your points.

In our case, we had made a mistake by not giving them an IELTS test report for our EOI. It was a bit confusing when we did it the first time, in the sense that I was not sure if they needed the test report when you file an EOI or if it could be provided when you file your papers after receiving the ITA. Turns out, they ask you for the IELTS test report reference during EOI and you provide the certificate as evidence later and once you file everything post the ITA stage.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:38   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
I have received the ITA for my resident visa application including my wife and kid. The one problem is our bmi. Now according to one operations manual, NZ immigration rejects all applications with bmi above 35. It is recommended to have it below 30 as is of course normally too for good health.
I must say, this is a complete blinder for me. No, i am not looking to emigrate to anywhere but IMHO, this must be one of those rules that is aimed at discouraging people who would otherwise burden the health care bill of target countries. I would check if i can opt for other kinds of private health insurance if the system permits.
Old 9th October 2019, 14:49   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
This is sad. The US used to be a haven of educated and highly skilled Indian immigrants. Doctors and engineers. It took some level of sophistication to come to the US.
Recently one Punjabi Deputy Sheriff (Which I am sure you will consider a blue collar job) was killed in line of Duty. Incidentally he had trucking business before joining service. Below is a short video from his long memorial service which was attended by more than 5000 people from all walks of life and races. This is how America treats honest hardworking people irrespective of their color and color of job they do.

I feel so sorry for you and i am so concerned for blue collar people who work in your house or other places you frequent to.

Hope you find peace in your life and stop looking down on fellow human beings.

-Ijeet

Last edited by aah78 : 9th October 2019 at 17:52. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 9th October 2019, 16:13   #1395
Senior - BHPian

So, H1B/ GC holders are a better representative of Indian culture in the US vs a blue collar truck driver? Doesn’t the blue collar truck driver have the personal freedom or choice to improve his life, no matter which country, as long as it’s legal. And about Indian culture, the sordid fact is that the average Ohioan American doesn’t care beyond Michigan, much less any occasional Desi culture aspects from over 6000 miles away. You would be hard pressed to find them even identifying any major Indian city on a map. Most can’t even recognise Priyanka Chopra unless you associate with her husband. And I don’t hold it to them, it’s their country after all!

Last edited by aah78 : 9th October 2019 at 17:56. Reason: Spacing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks