Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 00:56   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
am currently evaluating a couple of opportunities in Sweden.
If you are planning on settling, schooling and education is not at all a problem for kids. Its us who find it difficult to learn the language. However if you intend to return to India, then I wouldn't suggest. Since its a lot difficult to switch in higher classes. We did do the switch when my daughter was in 3rd grade, she did struggle for a year or 2 before things settled down.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 16:10   #1592
BHPian

Hi all,

Does anyone has any experience working in vietnam?
My company has offered to relocate me to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). I have a son who will be in grade 3 by the time we move (if I accept the offer). From what I have heard, IB schools charge exorbitant fee, esp compared to what we have here in India.

Apart from that, anything else to think about?
Old 15th December 2021, 18:35   #1593
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone has any experience working in vietnam?
My company has offered to relocate me to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). I have a son who will be in grade 3 by the time we move (if I accept the offer). From what I have heard, IB schools charge exorbitant fee, esp compared to what we have here in India.

Apart from that, anything else to think about?
Please calculate cost of living / taxation for expats / house rentals / car costs etc and clearly define what are your priorities. Is your employer giving you enough salary that you can maintain same standard of living as India & be able to save some thing for sunset years.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 13:20   #1594
BHPian

I think I am a bit late (in this thread and the whole emigration thing) but is there any country that a person in the late forties cam emigrate to?

Australia has a cut off of 45 and many other countries give zero points for that age.

Am not very particular about abundance of work opportunities, but prefer to be somewhere I can converse in English.
Old 16th December 2021, 13:34   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I think I am a bit late (in this thread and the whole emigration thing) but is there any country that a person in the late forties cam emigrate to?

Australia has a cut off of 45 and many other countries give zero points for that age.

Am not very particular about abundance of work opportunities, but prefer to be somewhere I can converse in English.
Canada remains your best bet despite the disadvantage a mature applicant faces in the points based skilled immigration system since you get lower points with advancing age.
Bear in mind though that the federal express entry draws Haven't happened for almost a year, ostensibly due to the pandemic. Provinces continue to nominate applicants though, especially those in IT. Check out the immigration pages of provinces like Ontario and British Columbia, the information is well presented.

Please budget for at least 18 months from the day you decide you want to move to Canada and you kickstart the process to physically arriving in Canada, especially with the longer processing times involved currently
hothatchaway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 13:47   #1596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
...but is there any country that a person in the late forties cam emigrate to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Canada remains your best bet despite the disadvantage a mature applicant faces in the points based skilled immigration system
A friend and his family recently made the move to Canada. Both of them are in their early 40s and they have 2 children (and a dog that they took as well!). I think the whole process took about 2 years, but that included delays because of covid and because they were initially undecided about actually going as well.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 16:10   #1597
BHPian

I have been considering Canada for a few years now and finally got the ball rolling by getting my ECA done! Now that I am getting serious, I want to know how I can get my parents over there with me with the Canada Super Visa? Can I get them there as soon as I start making the minimum required salaries as mentioned in the CIC website? Also, if I do get them to Canada, once their Super Visa expires, how long do they need to be out of the country before they can come back and stay again for two years?

The Super Visa is one topic on which there is little to no information anywhere on the internet, especially nothing is mentioned regarding how long you need to leave the country for before coming back. Can someone please spread some light on this? If I can't get my parents to Canada then I think I will need to reconsider my move to Canada! Or is it possible for them to keep visiting me with the Visitors Visa until they can get a Canada PR? Does anyone have any experience of taking your parents to Canada?
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 16:51   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I have been considering Canada for a few years now and finally got the ball rolling by getting my ECA done! Now that I am getting serious, I want to know how I can get my parents over there with me with the Canada Super Visa? Can I get them there as soon as I start making the minimum required salaries as mentioned in the CIC website? Also, if I do get them to Canada, once their Super Visa expires, how long do they need to be out of the country before they can come back and stay again for two years?

The Super Visa is one topic on which there is little to no information anywhere on the internet, especially nothing is mentioned regarding how long you need to leave the country for before coming back. Can someone please spread some light on this? If I can't get my parents to Canada then I think I will need to reconsider my move to Canada! Or is it possible for them to keep visiting me with the Visitors Visa until they can get a Canada PR? Does anyone have any experience of taking your parents to Canada?
Not to discourage you but be prepared for the long haul to actually landing there. Good that you have received your ECA, you will also need to take the IELTS. With no word on the express entry draws resuming PNP is your best bet and from getting nominated by a province to getting drawn and submitting the full application, you could be staring at a 2 year wait. But it's a process and you could get lucky with a quicker TAT.
VV or SUV is a completely different ballgame and you will have to first land in Canada before they apply for a supervisa with current timelines being 8 months plus. Of course anybody can apply for a non immigrant visa at any time, but I suppose you are talking about having your folks over once you reach

Last edited by Sheel : 21st January 2022 at 10:26. Reason: Formatting.
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:55   #1599
BHPian

Services are being outsourced. Fortis hospital gives Medical certificate which is later submitted to vfsglobal visa services for them to process.

VFS is pretty smooth.

Fortis, not really.

They give boiler plate instructions through masks, further impeded by the glass partition. Why, why, why? Artificial intelligence is nothing but repetitive tasks, with more granularity. Any slowdown for disruption should be taken care of in the next iteration. Suggested this, response was 'Not my job'.

This seen also in the multilevel parking. I had a hard time keeping clear of the side walls. Finally, at the top level, paid public parking, when swinging out to enter, the tail of the Scala scraped the outer wall (away from driver side). Mentioned it to attendant, and met with, 'Not my job'.

Australia is introducing some crazy fast track schemes. Be careful you don't end up being drafted into their army, staring down the barrel of a Shì Zìdòng Bùqiāng (aka AK59) assault rifle!

Last edited by Sheel : 21st January 2022 at 10:25. Reason: Formatting.
proton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 10:32   #1600
BHPian

I am a Canadian PR card holder but presently living in Delhi. The Express Entry process is straightforward, but time consuming. I had to get a Police Clearance Certificate from 5 countries!

As many have pointed out, completing the Express Entry process is the easy part. Landing in Canada and starting from scratch is challenging. I have a MBA and Economics Masters from the world's top 5 universities. I also have international work experience. Despite making efforts to cover all the bases, I am still in a dilemma whether to make a move. (I have previously lived in Canada from 1992-1996 and completed my middle school in Hamilton, ON).

Investing in a higher degree from a top Canadian university can be considered. Graduating from a Canadian school can give an immigrant a higher probability of landing a top notch job.

Last edited by kushagra452 : 21st January 2022 at 10:48.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 13:05   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
horrendous real estate prices is an issue
Canada's housing market is worse than India's (well maybe except mumbai).
Old 11th April 2022, 10:19   #1602
BHPian

My wife has been selected in the H1B lottery. Now, assuming that she gets the visa, we have a major decision to make and would appreciate suggestions from people who have faced similar situations. Here is some background on our realities:

We earn 55 lakhs per year in India, have 2 apartments in Bangalore (one without loan, and another one which we purchased recently with a 20 year loan. EMI is approximately 1.25 lakhs per month). I am a technical writer (14 years experience in Product Documentation) and my wife does web services testing (14years experience in software testing). We have two children aged 4 and 6 years.

If she goes ahead with the H1B application, she will work in Plano TX. I have been there a few times, and the climate is tolerable. If all of us go together, there will be a huge financial gamble. Currently, we do not know what she will be paid, but based on experiences of others at a similar position, her salary should be around 80-85 thousand dollars per year.

Here are the options available:

Option 1: We get the visa processed for the entire family through her employer. Only my wife travels initially. My kids and I join later, and I search for a job after going there.
Challenges: Not sure about the ease of finding a technical writing job in a native English speaking country, though I have worked on a wide range of documentation, and I also have experience in selecting and customizing DITA based authoring tools, mentoring writers, and developing style guides.

It will be difficult to manage both children alone, especially since my daughter will have classes till 1 PM and I have to be in office a few days a week.

Option 2: My wife and children go to USA while I stay back for some time. I can go there once in a few months and search for jobs. Challenges are similar to Option 1, but this is not preferred, since it will be difficult for my wife.

Option 3: All of us go to USA together. We might have to sell at least one house at a loss, since we might not be able to save money for the EMI each month.

Challenges: Difficulty in finding a technical writing job in a native English speaking country. The question of what if I don't get a job, and my wife has to come back to India (if some immigration policy changes) has been bothering me.

Why do we want to go to USA:
1. Better prospects for children.
2. If I also find a job, we should be able to lead a comfortable life.

What are my biggest fears:

1. Will I be able to find a job in Technical Writing? I do not know anyone from India who is a technical writer in USA. Is it realistic to get a job in a software company while on an H-4 visa?

2. How difficult is it to find a job as a dependent of an H1B visa holder? Is there any bias against such people since there is a chance that they might lose their authorization to work if the H1B visa expires.

3. Is it possible to extend the H1B visa indefinitely (providing the current policies do not change)? It does not make much sense for me to leave a stable and well-paying job and come back without a job after a few months.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:27   #1603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
We earn 55 lakhs per year in India, have 2 apartments in Bangalore (one without loan, and another one which we purchased recently with a 20 year loan. EMI is approximately 1.25 lakhs per month). I am a technical writer (14 years experience in Product Documentation) and my wife does web services testing (14years experience in software testing). We have two children aged 4 and 6 years.... her salary should be around 80-85 thousand dollars per year.
Have you heard of this statement? : A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

You have two birds in hand and are eyeing one in the bush. I won't say more.
Samurai is offline   (115) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:48   #1604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My wife has been selected in the H1B lottery. .
Save the stress, and send your kids to study abroad earlier in life as opposed to just an engineering degree or MBA.
Red Liner is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:22   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Have you heard of this statement? : A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

You have two birds in hand and are eyeing one in the bush. I won't say more.
+1 to what Samurai has said but....

Quote:

Option 1:
Option 2:
Option 3:
If your wife has to take this opportunity for any reason other than Money (working Abroad has its merits and Money is just one of those), the Option 1 is your safest option. Option two will be very stressful for your wife and kids and may be even unsafe in a new country. Option 3 is not really an option.

However, if you can get a full-time WFH (read Anywhere) job in India, you can then move to US with family and keep everything safe here. So take this Option 4: Find a always WFH job and then move.

Last edited by sunilch : 11th April 2022 at 12:24.
sunilch is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks