Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:03   #3046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Are you trying to compare Sachin with Dravid and Ganguly?
Oh no, here we go...........(sigh)

I'm talking about the fact that the reason (apparently) behind dropping Dravid & Ganguly was that they wanted a "young" team with an eye to the 2011 WC. So, with those parameters, how is Sachin retained?

And if you talk about form & averages over the last one year in ODIs, then yes, I would like to compare Sachin's form with, at least, Ganguly's - what's wrong with that?
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:23   #3047
Senior - BHPian

Suppose India is 10-3 , who would you rather see come out and bat - Ganguly or Sachin ?
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:30   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Suppose India is 10-3 , who would you rather see come out and bat - Ganguly or Sachin ?
Well, depends on the situation, we've seen enough situations like that where the little master has come & gone. And, occasionally, Ganguly has carried his bat through most of the innings.

The point is, if you talk about "seniors" making way, Sachin should have as well. Unless we keep playing him so that the records keep growing - or, as I mentioned, the knighthood comes
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:14   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Neither of them. I would prefer Dravid if the situation is as above.
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:41   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Neither of them. I would prefer Dravid if the situation is as above.
at 10-3 , Dravid would be out ( ).
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:58   #3051
BANNED

My report on Dravid, Ganguly & Tendulkar:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Dravid - a misfit in ODIs, has totally misread the requirements of ODIs.
Ganguly - just a dreamer on field, can't run,can't do anything on field.
The writing is clear. They should announce their retirement & not face the shameful exit.

Tendulkar: Still a very capable batman, still quick between the wickets & a good fielder and a very useful bowler (more difficult to face than the nanny stuff bowled by Ganguly). Hence he makes it to the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Any idea why the golden-oldie has been retained? Is he going to be part of the 2011 WC playing eleven?

Diabloo, try & be unbiased in your comments at least although you may be heavily biased in your opinions
If you can't have Laxman in the team, then why do you want Dravid or Ganguly with the same handicap? In past Ganguly's batting compensated for his other weakness but not anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Come on Diabloo, Laxman runs horribly between the wickets and he has always performed poorly in ODIs. How can he be in the ODI team?
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:03   #3052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My report on Dravid, Ganguly & Tendulkar:
Ya, I read it way before I made the comment - your report wasn't convincing or remotely accurate....

Quote:
In past Ganguly's batting compensated for his other weakness but not anymore.
Like everyone else on earth, you are also entitled to your opinions - even if they may be totally without basis & completely with bias (sorry if I keep harping on that).
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:52   #3053
BANNED

What basis do you need? What am I missing?

What is the bias here?
I am critical of Tendulkar for not staying on winning more matches for India. But at the same time I feel his contribution deserves a place in the playing 11.

Quote:
Like everyone else on earth, you are also entitled to your opinions - even if they may be totally without basis & completely with bias (sorry if I keep harping on that).
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:33   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am critical of Tendulkar for not staying on winning more matches for India. But at the same time I feel his contribution deserves a place in the playing 11.
Until he gets knighthood. But tell me in what all crucial matches he has played? He will get out very cheaply. Either the pressure will take him off or the person cannot stand there.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:23   #3055
BHPian

On one hand it is good that the selectors are building a new ODI team when the going is good in tests. Like they say, it is always good to do a preventive maintainence than a breakdown one. In that I am with the selectors.

But unlike Anil Kumble, who has voluntarily opted out of the ODI team, Rahul and Saurav had shown no inclination to retire from the shorter version. Just for the players that they are, it was imperative, that the selectors handled it in a more sensitive manner.

I am all for a young team. Rahul and Saurav (and IMO even Sachin) should concentrate on their test careers. But the selectors should have talked and planned their ODI retirement. (They still can)

A last shot at glory by giving them another ODI match, preferrably in India, won't be out of place.

We need to treat the players with respect they not only deserve but command too.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:36   #3056
BANNED

Real reason why Ganguly was dropped: Ganguly's body gives it away
  • Ganguly's lower half could give him trouble: Indian team's trainer Gregory King.
  • Selectors were keen to have Ganguly retained as late as on the second day of the Perth Test (on 4th day he was almost limping).
  • Ganguly could break down at some stage of the One-day tour
  • Ganguly fitness really became an issue after 40 overs
Source

Quote:
In past Ganguly's batting compensated for his other weakness but not anymore.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:43   #3057
BANNED

Selectors were in favour of Ganguly (thats because like you & me, there are in India). But the team's trainer was very concerned about Ganguly's fitness & his body's capacity to take the toll. So selectors talked this through the Perth test and reluctantly agreed to drop Ganguly.
Ganguly was informed of this decision, before it was out in the media.

King's observation sealed Ganguly's fate*-*News*-*India tour Down Under*-*Indiatimes Cricket
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
But the selectors should have talked and planned their ODI retirement. (They still can)
We need to treat the players with respect they not only deserve but command too.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:50   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Ganguly could break down at some stage of the One-day tour
  • Ganguly fitness really became an issue after 40 overs
Source
Diabloo, these are justifications given by Dhoni & have no bearing on the real scenario.

Nobody is questioning that India need to plan ahead with an eye to the 2011 WC. I think everybody knew that this Australian series would be the last that one would see Dravid, Ganguly & (perhaps) Tendulkar on the ODI stage away from home (the last significant ODI series I would say).

Don't you think its far too early to be picking the WC 2011 team now? Is there a guarantee that the team you are seeing now will be there in 2011? No. So, why not ask Dravid & Ganguly to gracefully retire after the Australia ODI seris instead of unceremoniously dumping them in the middle of the tour. And to what effect? Suresh Raina performing better with the bat AND in the field - gimme a break, lets have a prediction for him - how many runs off the bat & how many runs saved?

My biggest concern is that this team will not last 50 overs in most of the ODIs they play - T20 is a different ball game altogether
Old 22nd January 2008, 19:13   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My biggest concern is that this team will not last 50 overs in most of the ODIs they play - T20 is a different ball game altogether
I agree here, being a silent spectator to this thread for sometime I can say that selectors has gone wrong somewhere..

Infact I thought Dravid and Laxman will make comeback to the ODI team and it will be a more experienced team to face the Oz threat but things gone horribly wrong...

For me, Dhoni is repeating the same mistake which Greg made (resulting to WC07 debacle), I feel Sourav, Sachin, Dravid is must in ODI in Australia...He wants his T20 guys making in to the ODI side but he forgot that Sourav-Sachin partnerships which always won him the ODI matches last year...

Now diabloo, pls dont comment on fitness of ganguly, dravid etc, Ganguly's fielding and body-language (he was never a Kaif or Jonty) was always like this even when he was a 17yr old still he survived more than a decade (infact survived well to be a legend in his own right !!)

India never won matches by fielding atleast against quality sides, It is basically a batting oriented side, and you require RUNS and I can only wish the Rainas, Rohit Sharmas, fit into the Dravid-Ganguly shoe (which I dont see happening)

Time will tell, Hope I am wrong here and India wins the ODI series
Abhi
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:32   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, this is what I have posted around 2 days back. This bunch of players are good for big hitting like t20. They will not even last 40 overs on australian soil.

Lets take an example. Aussies has many players who are 34+ yrs like Gilly, Pointing himself, they still are playing why not Indian players.

And today vengsarkar was giving justification that he has choosen the team for future world cup. Why should he select a player with 2+ years of cricket left in them. Then he should also have justified Tendulkar's inclusion when he is most certain that he will not play in next wc. Where in the world are you "joker", let us see how many members of this team will play in next wc. First of all, he himself will not be there as selector until next wc. Let alone the team.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks