Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 19:56   #11446
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
IMO, if MSD fails with the bat in this series he may himself call it quits - considering Pant's growing stature as a batter in the test series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^ I seriously doubt that.
+1

I doubt one Test series is going to allow Pant to leapfrog to default keeper in ODIs. Not that he's that brilliant either.

I think the World Cup will be Dhoni's swansong; it'll be better for the team that way. He's the more settled keeper, perhaps can be the rational/tactical balance in the team vs. Kohli/Shastri and we can hope he clicks with the bat.
Old 11th January 2019, 20:33   #11447
Senior - BHPian

The Cricket Thread

Quote:
IMO, if MSD fails with the bat in this series he may himself call it quits - considering Pant's growing stature as a batter in the test series.

Quote:
^^ I seriously doubt that. With the WC only a few months away, he's never going to do that, nor will BCCI remove him from the squad if the above happens (even if that might be the right long-term decision).

Dhoni is definitely going to England.

Pant may just make the World Cup squad as a batsman. It may be a toss up between him and Dinesh Karthik for the 2nd keeper slot. Pant has made a strong case for himself with 100s both in Australia and England.
Old 11th January 2019, 21:26   #11448
BHPian

It's too late now. MS has to play the world cup. Also remember that MS is still marshaling the team in crunch situations. He contributes a lot more as "captain" than as a batsman.
Old 11th January 2019, 21:32   #11449
BHPian

I feel the treatment to hardik and KL rahul is very well meted out.
BCCI has set an example for others.
I really feel that the new rejig in BCCI is doing its job well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th January 2019 at 23:55. Reason: Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.
Old 11th January 2019, 21:50   #11450
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
His immediate retirement cannot be ruled out, what is a bit surprising is that he's not bothered to play any club/domestic game after returning from Australia !
Old 11th January 2019, 21:55   #11451
BHPian

Quote:
At the risk of getting flayed by the majority, let me ask this.

Considering we have two decently well-placed wicketkeepers (with some flaws), wouldn't it be a better (and long-term basis) decision to focus on them than keeping Dhoni in the team? This is like 2011-Sachin situation again; we probably are setting up the base for a send-off (retirement) this world cup.

Of course it goes without saying; a team with Dhoni on the list sounds much more convincing than Pant or Saha; but maybe once in a while we should be looking ahead.

I feel that Dhoni will retire post the World Cup. He has been retained in the shorter formats for other reasons, rather than his batting. His wicket keeping is still the best and his experience will be required by Virat for the world cup to take the key decisions.
After the World cup, the focus will get back on Pant.
Old 11th January 2019, 22:41   #11452
Team-BHP Support

Trying to swap Dhoni out now is like trying to change your subjects during semester exam prep break. Should've been done, if needed, well in advance when the core World Cup group was chosen a year or so ago. Let him play this one and bow out, and there aren't exactly world class replacements knocking down the door.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th January 2019 at 22:42.
Old 11th January 2019, 23:23   #11453
Senior - BHPian

Kohli, with galore of superstars, hasn't been able to win IPL for RCB. To get India till knockouts, he will need Dhoni help in advise and guidance. Though the sting is missing in Dhoni's batting, he still fit and keeping is sharp as ever.

I recommend Dhoni at No 4, so that he can slowly pace his innings by knocking that ball around. The newer IPL stars can take the slog overs.
Old 12th January 2019, 01:50   #11454
BHPian

On Pandya & Rahul:
I wonder about the whole Pandya & Rahul episode. One one hand, the comments were so disgusting on the other they were expressing their opinions?
So, if someone were to hand them punishment, then it should be a lengthy one (probably 5-10 ODIs/T20s) and not pay lip service to it, on the other hand, BCCI should ideally rap the player and say we not not condone the player and that's it. We are as usual going for a middle approach.

MSD:
I am super excited to see MSD back, I honestly watch Indian cricket for him. The mannerism, the attitude and his behavior on the field is a combination of oodles of style and grace. I hope he does perform with the bat (for him and for India) as that will calm him and the team down.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 12th January 2019 at 01:51.
Old 12th January 2019, 13:14   #11455
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian batting being tested in the first ODI, after 3 quick wickets of Dhawan, Kohli and Rayudu while Rohit had still not opened his account, they're 45/3 now in 15 odd overs with Rohit on 25

Another instance of Indian batting being a good launchpad for new young fast bowlers, this time Richardson and Berhendorff.

Let's see if we can win this game despite Kohli's low score.

Last edited by NPV : 12th January 2019 at 13:16.
Old 12th January 2019, 14:23   #11456
BHPian

To all critics, Dhoni says - "Who's your daddy now?"

Go thalaivar!

And as I finished the post, he was unfairly and wrongly given out!! Damn!

Last edited by rovingeye : 12th January 2019 at 14:30.
Old 12th January 2019, 14:41   #11457
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the recent test series, I forgot the style of Dhoni/India on setting the base first and then accelerating at the last minute; a strategy that Gambhir openly stated was unnecessary and risky.

And we seemed to have got into the same mode in this match. While Rohit and Dhoni were stepping on the accelerator, I feel we have got to a very risky stage; with 130+ from the last ~15 overs. I'd pay to know what is going through Kohli's mind!

50 with a partnership of 130+ after 3 wickets sounds perfect; but at a 50% strike rate in a match that required 6+ when he came to the crease is again a risky strategy.

130+ from 90 balls with only Rohit, Karthik and Jadeja (?) expected to do the needful, this is going to be a very uphill task!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Why? Seemed a correct decision. That was a tired shot attempt.
Old 12th January 2019, 14:51   #11458
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why? Seemed a correct decision. That was a tired shot attempt.
Yes it was a tired shot and it looked plumb LBW to the naked eye but replays showed ball pitching outside leg stump so it was a bad umpiring call, Dhoni was unlucky.

This will not be an easy chase now with 128 required off 72 balls now.

Last edited by NPV : 12th January 2019 at 14:52.
Old 12th January 2019, 14:51   #11459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
To all critics, Dhoni says - "Who's your daddy now?"

Go thalaivar!

Yes. With a 100 ball 50 he definitely showed everyone who is the daddy. Match winning knock
Old 12th January 2019, 15:43   #11460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yes. With a 100 ball 50 he definitely showed everyone who is the daddy. Match winning knock
With 4/3, he did what the situation demanded. India would have had the match in our pocket had he not been wrongly adjudged LBW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks