Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2024, 20:46   #17371
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
From what I know there is no such official diktat from GOI to not play certain elements. It's due to their than egoist PCB chairman that they are in this situation. serves them well !!
Wait. I always thought GOI decided to ban Pak players in IPL because of the 2008 attacks.

Isn't this the reason for India to refuse bilateral series as well?
Bhargav7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 20:58   #17372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what I know there is no such official diktat from GOI to not play certain elements. It's due to their than egoist PCB chairman that they are in this situation. serves them well !!
Certain elements- what a way to describe cricketers from a country ! Having said that, just to correct you, Pakistan players were banned from the IPL after the Mumbai attacks and were not seen after the first edition. If not for the ban, the franchisers would have happily picked players from Pakistan. The GOI doesn’t even allow bilateral series with Pakistan, it’s the multi team events where India plays Pakistan and no where else !! Ultimately cricket is the loser.

The Pakistan Board has repeatedly shown its displeasure over the exclusion. It has nothing to do with some egoistic chairman or something. Every board wants a piece of the IPL and PCB is no different.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 21:34   #17373
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
OTOH, I have no problems with players skipping test matches for IPL. Just that they should make it clear what their priorities are and should not expect automatic selection whenever they want.
Don't expect any of the players to openly say this. IPL owners would also want regular members of the Indian Team in their side rather than just domestic players. At the same time Selectors should also stop selecting T20 players in Tests & ODIs based on their T20 record! Still perplexed on what basis SKY had been included in Tests earlier.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 21:35   #17374
Senior - BHPian

Since a long time bcci pays each board 10% of each player of theirs who plays in IPL. Plus they stay in good books of bcci which helps in conducting bilaterals and everyone knows whichever country India plays mints money like anything.

ECB and British Pundits used to criticize IPL like anything along with few other boards at the start. Then they saw the kind of money IPL is making for bcci. Now everyone has their own league in their country. Only IPL gets a 2 month window because it's the biggest and most lucrative for everyone involved.

We can't put Iyer and Ishan in same bracket. Iyer after coming back from injury was playing Ranji. I will give him benefit of doubt as he is back to playing for Mumbai. Ishan is done. His test career is over. And in white ball there are much better players already making a case.
Old 27th February 2024, 21:41   #17375
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Certain elements- what a way to describe cricketers from a country !
I see nothing wrong there. We have already seen the IQ levels of few of Pak players for whom Indian public was ready to die. That's how it should be i think.

Quote:
Having said that, just to correct you, Pakistan players were banned from the IPL after the Mumbai attacks and were not seen after the first edition. If not for the ban, the franchisers would have happily picked players from Pakistan.
Thanks for correcting. In todays era of globalization, everything is interconnected. If GOI Feels that it is in best interest to ban them so let it be. they have professions manning those posts and we have not seen such deadly attack for some time now. so seem like punishment have worked coupled with other actions GOI took.

For Franchisee, they are in to business of making money and they did expressed inability too in picking PAK players keeping public sentiments prevalent at that point of time and things just become permanent. security of these players was another aspect which no one was willing to risk.

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/crick...cle6721788.ece

Quote:
The GOI doesn’t even allow bilateral series with Pakistan, it’s the multi team events where India plays Pakistan and no where else !! Ultimately cricket is the loser.
Nobody is looser here except for PAK as a nation. Cricket have still grown in every sense still. We have more teams going main stream in a healthy competition.

Quote:
The Pakistan Board has repeatedly shown its displeasure over the exclusion. It has nothing to do with some egoistic chairman or something. Every board wants a piece of the IPL and PCB is no different.
Why should we be worried about PCB displeasure. If they want to make money and play, they need to force their govt to keep the relevant elements in check. We have rightly gave zero hoots to PCB. Let them beg for the money. You can't be earning off us and using the same money to wage war.
.sushilkumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 22:31   #17376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see nothing wrong there.
Why should we be worried about PCB displeasure. If they want to make money and play, they need to force their govt to keep the relevant elements in check. We have rightly gave zero hoots to PCB. Let them beg for the money. You can't be earning off us and using the same money to wage war.
Well, at the risk of going off topic, you are so mistaken my friend that you are so far from reality. So much so that you clearly forgot how the BCCI laid the red carpet for the Pakistan players during the recent World Cup. Everyone minted money while Pakistan was in India. And as for the earning off us and using same money to wage war part, India still have trade relations with Pakistan and that includes both exports and imports. So I guess, as per your view, only cricket money is used for waging war and the trade money is kept aside for others. I can’t be more amused !!

P.S- Mods may delete the post but some things needed to be said.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 22:47   #17377
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Well, at the risk of going off topic, you are so mistaken my friend that you are so far from reality. So much so that you clearly forgot how the BCCI laid the red carpet for the Pakistan players during the recent World Cup. .
My last post on the topic.

BCCI did not laid red carpet at all. It was few fanboys on their arrivals else PAK players were confined to their rooms due to involved security risks. There too they were busy posing tea selfies on "X" & making political statements. We all know how it went afterwards for them. Few things never change.

I remember reading a News article where players were talking of too many restrictions on their security. Don't think this is red carpet by any stretch.
.sushilkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 15:05   #17378
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
India still have trade relations with Pakistan and that includes both exports and imports. So I guess, as per your view, only cricket money is used for waging war and the trade money is kept aside for others. I can’t be more amused !!
I don't want to discuss much on this topic, but trade relations & sports are not comparable. One is a necessity, and the other is a luxury.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:50   #17379
Senior - BHPian

Iyer and Kishan sacked from central contracts.
Good job by bcci for a change.
Although I think with Iyer playing semis for Mumbai he may make a case for his inclusion.
Let's see how things develop.
But, Ishan is done for sure. If he has a bad year this time in IPL he will fave trouble in franchises bidding for him in next mega auction.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:52   #17380
Team-BHP Support

Very harsh on Iyer, I think.

He had a fabulous world cup, and should have been in the lower grade at least.

Ishan Kishan is a good riddance I believe.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:54   #17381
BHPian

Neil Wagner calls time on his international career. What a bowler and servant of NZ cricket. Brimming with passion and aggression, he always made things happen on the pitch.

He lacked express pace but made up for it with swing. Steve Smith had a torrid time against him when Wagner targeted his body on the leg stump. He retires with 262 test wickets with a strike rate next only to Richard Hadlee (among the kiwis)
Old 28th February 2024, 19:03   #17382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
But, Ishan is done for sure. If he has a bad year this time in IPL he will fave trouble in franchises bidding for him in next mega auction.
Having broken the bank for him (he went for an astronomical double digit sum) last time around, his life is set.
Unless, of course, the trappings of fame and ego serve his comeuppance.
Old 28th February 2024, 19:07   #17383
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So much so that you clearly forgot how the BCCI laid the red carpet for the Pakistan players during the recent World Cup.
This was a World Cup, something which happens once in 4yrs! BCCI lays the red carpet for all visiting teams with the best hotels & facilities even for mundane bilaterals and even for teams like Afghanistan. Don't think anything out of the ordinary was done for the Pakistan team.
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 20:09   #17384
BHPian

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20240228195507.jpg

Sarfaraz & Jurel will technically have a Grade "C" contract when they inevitably play the 5th test against England.

Shreyas Iyer & Ishan Kishan both lose their contracts. A little harsh on Iyer maybe, but then again the BCCI does not take kindly to disciplinary issues. Jay Shah has also clarified that international players will only be required to play domestic games if the team management instructs them to, instead of the blanket mandate for everyone that was reported earlier. Very fair & reasonable stance by the BCCI according to me.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 20:12   #17385
BHPian

Hardik Pandya should have been demoted in the grade. Not sure why he is in A category and being paid so much. I don't think even in T20 he warrants a guaranteed place given is inability to bowl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks